Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,429 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor (38514 Views)

Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doc / Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doc / Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by etunoman76(m): 6:05am On Aug 04, 2014
Pharmaceutical companies are unwilling to invest in vaccines and research to cure the deadly Ebola disease because it is only killing Africans, a leading UK doctor has claimed.

The President of the UK Faculty of Public Health, Prof. John Ashton, has claimed no cure for the disease has been discovered because it so far has only affected powerless minorities.

He likened the response to that of Aids, for which treatments were developed only when it started affecting Western countries.

The current Ebola outbreak – which has no vaccine, no cure and kills up to 90 per cent of victims – is currently ravaging the West African countries of Guinea, Sierra Leone, Nigeria and Liberia.

There have been 729 deaths from 1,329 confirmed cases of Ebola in this year’s epidemic – making it the largest Ebola outbreak in history.

Writingin the Independent on Sunday <http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/theyd-find-a-cure-if-ebola-came-to-london-9644515.html>, Prof. Ashton said: ‘We must respond to this emergency as if it was in Kensington, Chelsea, and Westminster.

‘We must also tackle the scandal of the unwillingness of the pharmaceutical industry to invest in research to produce treatments and vaccines, something they refuse to do because the numbers involved are, in their terms, so small and don’t justify the investment.

‘This is the moral bankruptcy of capitalism acting in the absence of an ethical and social framework.’

WHO Director-General, Margaret Chan, has also warned the virus is currently moving faster than efforts to control it.

She said, ‘This outbreak is moving faster than our efforts to control it. If the situation continues to deteriorate, the consequences can be catastrophic in terms of lost lives, severe socioeconomic disruption and a high risk of spread to other countries.’

Speaking at a meeting in Guinea’s capital, Conakry, she told the presidents of Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Ivory Coast that the virus could be stopped.

But she said that cultural practices such as traditional burials were a significant cause of its spread.

Meanwhile, Emirates, the Mideast’s largest airline, said today it had halted flights to Guinea because of concerns about the spread of the Ebola virus.

http://www.punchng.com/news/why-ebola-remains-incurable-uk-doc/
Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Nobody: 6:24am On Aug 04, 2014
If this is true,we are in for this. We are once again at the mercy of the cartel of the pharmaceutical world.

The worst form is the mode of transmission,anybody could be a victim..something should be done fast,else it would be devastating..

4 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 04, 2014
Very true, but so pathetic......if it where to be our natural resources that doesn't need their intervention, they will be the first to contribute.

11 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by cnwamo(m): 3:36pm On Aug 04, 2014
There will be a cure one day....

4 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by MZdamola(f): 3:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
So so unfortunate and unfair
Na we dey suffer pass
Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by MadCow1: 3:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
chai
Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by MissyDivah(f): 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
It's Well

2 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Kalvan50: 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
This is common knowledge. No one cares when it's a bunch of west Africans dying.

9 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Blackchampion(m): 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
Na waooo. Is not a small something oooo
Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Liamm(m): 3:39pm On Aug 04, 2014
A cure is underway for sure and i'm hopeful it would be concluded in 2weeks time grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Vstuffs(m): 3:39pm On Aug 04, 2014
So because we no be whites abin

They forget said little drops of water made a big ocean

Na small small e dey happen,when one ebola victim go by mistake enter their country,and infect like 20 people......................they go sabi d cure fast fast

9 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by roymary: 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2014
Blame it on the ugly, greedy , shameless and clueless African Leaders. undecided

36 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Chinwem(f): 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2014
He likened the response to that of Aids, for which treatments were developed only when it started affecting Western countries.

Why is the Africa always at the mercy of the west
Why can't we develop our own vaccines/ cure for once

55 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by dustydee: 3:42pm On Aug 04, 2014
We must not wait for the west to do everything for us. We have very brilliant minds in Africa that can solve most of our probleoms.

14 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2014
Let's make the vaccine

And transfer the Ebola to the west
So they will buy drugs from Africa

Now we know this niggas ain't loyal
They hate Blacks

Finest boy making sense since 94' grin

11 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2014
Where all the juju men and women dey?

6 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by ayukdaboss(m): 3:44pm On Aug 04, 2014
kai
Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Nobody: 3:44pm On Aug 04, 2014
Am just tired of everything happening around me. God should just blow the damn trumpet and end this shit of a world.

18 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 04, 2014
Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2014
mayvia: Am just tired of everything happening around me. God should just blow the damn trumpet and end this shit of a world.
grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Djtm(m): 3:50pm On Aug 04, 2014
I've read this stance (and other POVs) on facebook. The thing is, it is not their job to do so. They are not responsible for us. They are not our "Daddy". African phamarceuticals should rise up and take the challenge too. If foreigners work on a cure, good. If they don't, well...

You don't say "the reason I'm not in school is because my neighbour did not pay my school fees. When his kids start going to school, I know he'll pay school fees."

34 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Judolisco(m): 3:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
It's a matter of time

2 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by BrAkingNews: 3:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
this is serious oooooooooo

Doctor who treated more than 100 Ebola patients dies from the virus
>>> http://www./international-celebrities-news/100-ebola-patients-dies-from-the-virus/

Must Read: It’s here in Nigeria! See the signs and symptoms of Ebola disease & how to prevent it
>>>> http://www./international-celebrities-news/signs-and-symptoms-of-ebola-disease/
Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 04, 2014
mayvia: Am just tired of everything happening around me. God should just blow the damn trumpet and end this shit of a world.
grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by tunshe: 3:54pm On Aug 04, 2014
@OP, this is a factual fact. Lots of movies comes to mind where scientists develop viruses to attack the human race.

For Nigeria, it's a leadership and systemic problem.

A country where doctors can go on strike for months and the president still has time to travel around instead of providing proactive measures to secure not just the airports but also the boarders .

A president that is interested in power tussle with governors, lecturers and doctors with only one aim to govern Ebola victims till 2019.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by abdulwastecx(m): 3:55pm On Aug 04, 2014
Africans need to start doing something. .. we can also set up institute in our university, give them grany to start serious research on drug development instead of relying on the west for all the solution to our problem

3 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Tval(m): 3:56pm On Aug 04, 2014
I knw they will lack the gusto and mettle to find a solution to this viral infection since it hasn't affected them.

Oyinbo pple b like "mi o fe gbe eru mi sori, ki tun gbe ti elomiran si owo".

1 Like

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Nobody: 3:56pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chinwem:

Why is the Africa always at the mercy of the west
Why can't we develop our own vaccines/ cure for once

Because that requires increased spending on education, health and science...and our governments do not have the cash.(or claim not to).

Plus thanks to poor power supply among other things.....we do not have the enabling environment for indigenous pharma companies to thrive to the extent that they can fund such research.

3 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2014
Why are y'all blaming the whites? Don't you have enough pastors here to 'pray' the Ebola away? Aint these the same whites y'all claim don't believe in your god? Why do you need them then? Since Nigeria is probably the most religious country in Africa, god will handle it cheesy grin .

14 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Djtm(m): 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
Btw, what is Africa good/efficient at? I still wonder how almost a whole continent can be filled with third world countries.

14 Likes

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by Bryan12(m): 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
I have a dream that I will discover a cure for it before it reaches southeast.

1 Like

Re: Why Ebola Remains Incurable –UK Doctor by segun544(m): 3:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
Chai!!! Thank God I broke up with that girl called adEBOLA some months ago ooo.....Na so person 4 just carry die!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Papilloma Deadly Virus Is A Virus Gotten From Kissing, Please Kiss Less Humans / Young Boy 'Maurinho' With Bow Legs All Smiles After Undergoing Surgery. Photos / Mentally-Challenged Patient Escapes From Psychiatric Hospital In Lagos (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.