Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? (11412 Views)

Fruits You Hate! / List Of The Most Expensive Fruits In The World / Vegetables: Tomato, Ata Rodo, Tatase, Ugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by PassingShot(m): 6:37am On Aug 16, 2014
Both fruits and vegetables.
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by BotherMleeper(m): 7:17am On Aug 16, 2014
This sounds like a first world problem.

Does it even matter? Just eat the darn things.
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Seyitosino(m): 7:22am On Aug 16, 2014
In horticulture( a field of plant science), there are 2 basic types of vegetables namely: fruit and leaf vegetables. Fruit veggies ar those that bear fruits which we consume. e.g tomato, pepper, okra, garden egg etc. Leaf veggies are those we grow for their leaves e.g amaranthus, corchorus(ewedu), water leaf e.t.c so, tomato is a fruit vegetable.
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by sniperwolf(m): 7:30am On Aug 16, 2014
Technically both
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Qtsnow(m): 7:33am On Aug 16, 2014
Crop plant s are classified into four categories namely:
-classification according to economic use
-classification according to number of cotyledon
-classification according to mode of cultivation
-classification according to life cycle
the above classification is agriculture based and tomato is classified under economic use as a Vegetable.
However in botany generally it is classified as a fruit because it is the end product of lead production at the completion of it life cycle and the bearing of the seeds for regeneration.

You can take your pick, but the most correct view is View is that, it is a Vegetable, same as garden egg.

it will interest you to know that, carrot is called a fruit but classified as Root and tuber crop plant
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Toliimaa: 7:51am On Aug 16, 2014
From what you said vegetables cannot be used to make new plants. What of Yam, cos I know you can grow yam directly like that.
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Nonkit(m): 8:39am On Aug 16, 2014
SpcAgtOko: Fruit! It has seeds inside. grin
What about seedless tomatoes?
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Vicfus(m): 9:26am On Aug 16, 2014
texanomaly: According to botanists (those who study plants) a fruit is the part of the plant that develops from a flower. It's also the section of the plant that contains the seeds. The other parts of plants are considered vegetables. These include the stems, leaves and roots — and even the flower bud.

The following are technically fruits: avocado, beans, peapods, corn kernels, cucumbers, grains, nuts, olives peppers, pumpkin, squash, sunflower seeds and tomatoes. Vegetables include celery (stem), lettuce (leaves), cauliflower and broccoli (buds), and beets, carrots and potatoes (roots).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CBUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mayoclinic.org%2Fhealthy-living%2Fnutrition-and-healthy-eating%2Fexpert-blog%2Ffruit-vegetable-difference%2Fbgp-20056141&ei=PkPgU-SlAcfC8AHS7YDABQ&usg=AFQjCNEKK_m8ZiJYUF1sqUrJrnKjH40dGQ&sig2=VSepdLJbFJzaAGhZZLr4ww
So, what class does Onion fall?
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by michealade(m): 9:46am On Aug 16, 2014
It is a fruity vegetable
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Sacramento4real(m): 10:24am On Aug 16, 2014
lol!....lt is fruit when uncooked but once fire touch am na vegetable, hmm....what a transformation!

Just as Garri take dey change im name to Eba when hot water touch am. grin
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Oluwawapelumi(m): 10:24am On Aug 16, 2014
Tomato is a fruit.
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by gebest: 10:25am On Aug 16, 2014
Both
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 16, 2014
Vegetables

1 Like

Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 16, 2014
Tomato falls into the family of berry and berry r fruits with many seeds like drupe having three layers which r the outer pericap the inner endocap and the fleshy mesocarp.

#Omo I been cram this ish like kilode dose days in school!

1 Like

Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 16, 2014
According to my profession, a fruit is eaten raw without cooking but a vegetable requires one or more processing before eating. Usually tomatoes are used as vegetable in Africa but are used as fruit in western world. In Nigeria for example, we used tomatoes to prepare soup (that makes it a vegetable) but the western world make tomato juice from it (that makes it a fruit). That's my little kobo. #FST for life
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 16, 2014
Moblord: It is a Vegetafruit
Hahahaha
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 16, 2014
For me, it's All of d Above....I rem way bk when we were still residing in Northern part of d country Kastina precisely, my elder sis was always fond of eating tomatoes... Dey were very cheap den too... She will jst go to d refrigerator n help her self... She sabi eat d tin no be small.. I come dey look her lik say na frm anoda planet she come cheesysmiley Tried eating it one day mehn, i didnt lik it one bit...
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Pool4us(m): 2:03pm On Aug 16, 2014
A fruit¿
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Skillz02(m): 4:30pm On Aug 16, 2014
Mehn,,, dis 1 na waec question but
i think tomato is technically the fruit
of the tomato plant, but it's used as
a vegetable in cooking
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by olumzzz(m): 5:15pm On Aug 16, 2014
Bootybuttchic: its a fruit but becomes a vegetable in d proccess of cooking
Baby come on...av mercy on we guys...upload a pic of ur booooty...u can't just keep us going 2 check ur profile n nt seeing anytin
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Bootybuttchic(f): 12:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
olumzzz:
Baby come on...av mercy on we guys...upload a pic of ur booooty...u can't just keep us going 2 check ur profile n nt seeing anytin
kip jonzing grin grin ...go and watch boondocks! ud see it tongue
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by stivin101: 2:58pm On Aug 17, 2014
in biology there'sno such classification of vegetables... but dealing with food.. tomato is a fruit used as a vegetable. AKA fruit vegetable.. but its technically a fruit..
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by Jamesbrian: 7:26pm On Aug 17, 2014
Botanically, it's a fruit, Berry to be precise. Fruits develop from ovary, and tomato does. So... u knw the rest.
Re: Are Tomatoes Fruits Or Vegetables? by lubemotors: 2:24am On Aug 18, 2014
Bootybuttchic: its a fruit but becomes a vegetable in d proccess of cooking

Just like okra /okro.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Did You Cook Today? / How Many Times Do You Cook In A Week? / Watermelon Juice Vs Orange Juice, Which Is Your Favourite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.