Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,408 members, 7,822,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! (1451 Views)

Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / Ohanaeze gives Oba of Lagos 48 hours to withdraw threat to Igbos / PHOTO Ebola Victim Rises From The Dead,first “ebola Zombie” Captured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 12:48am On Aug 06, 2014
This gave enough time for the disease to spread further than the lies the government is telling us now.

This same government lied about the Apapa bomb explosion and called it a gas explosion. However, they are trying their best to maintain calm and avoid a panic exodus.

Please read the article below
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 12:50am On Aug 06, 2014
But Lagos state health commissioner Jide Idris said Tuesday that the nature of his disease "was not known" the first day, and only after further investigation did they suspect Ebola. Sawyer's sister had died in Liberia from the disease, which has no proven cure or treatment.

"They went back to the history and they were like 'Oh, this is Liberia,' and that's why he was put into isolation," he told reporters. "So even in that window period it was possible that some of these people got infected."

A doctor who cared for Sawyer has tested positive for the disease, and seven other health workers are now showing symptoms so have been placed in isolation.

They are among 14 people who had "serious direct contact" with Sawyer, most of them at the hospital, Idris said. Authorities say they are also following the conditions of 56 other people who had "primary contact" with Sawyer — presumably less at risk than those in the first group.
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:51am On Aug 06, 2014
Sauce?

1 Like

Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 12:53am On Aug 06, 2014
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2014-08-05/nigerian-official-says-7-more-show-ebola-symptoms

Nigerian health authorities acknowledged Tuesday that they did not immediately quarantine a sick airline passenger who later died of Ebola.

Since the incubation period can last up to three weeks, some of the Nigerians who treated Sawyer are only now showing signs of illness that can mimic many common tropical illnesses — fever, muscle aches and vomiting.

Seven other health workers are now showing symptoms so have been placed in isolation. They are among 14 people who had "serious direct contact" with Sawyer, most of them at the hospital, Idris said. Authorities say they are also following the conditions of 56 other people who had "primary contact" with Sawyer — presumably less at risk than those in the first group.
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 12:55am On Aug 06, 2014
All these numbers have to be multiplied exponentially because they all have family members like wives and children who also go to churches or mosques or play with other children or use eateries and public services.

How many are we actually supposed to be monitoring or quarantining by now?

It is an exponential epidemic so we have to be aggressive before it spins out of control.
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 12:56am On Aug 06, 2014
Health officials in Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation, worked to prevent the virus from spreading in Lagos, where millions of people live in densely crowded conditions.

The Lagos state health commissioner acknowledged that state health authorities need volunteers to help track down the people who may have come into contact with the eight suspected cases in quarantine.

"You may have two family contacts, you may have many family contacts," he said. "You need people who will go out and chase all these people."
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by amakufrancis(m): 12:59am On Aug 06, 2014
aiit
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by tpia1: 1:00am On Aug 06, 2014
citizenisb:

we have to be aggressive before it spins out of control.

good luck with that.

be aggressive over saving human life?

when has that even been a priority for nigeria/nigerians in general?

if its being aggressive over crookishness, diabolical things, or chasing money, you might have a point.

lord have mercy.

3 Likes

Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 1:03am On Aug 06, 2014
LAGOS—THERE were fears, yesterday, that six of the eight primary contacts of the late Patrick Sawyer, may have tested positive to the Ebola virus, but are yet to show signs of the disease
Meanwhile, the Lagos State Government has said that the seven remaining primary contacts currently in quarantine are showing no signs of the Ebola Virus Disease, EVD.

A source, who confirmed this to Vanguard, said the six feared to have tested positive are among those who had serious contact with the late Liberian Ebola victim.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/feared-infected-ebola-virus/#sthash.8YvfsEtl.dpuf
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 1:13am On Aug 06, 2014
“As I am speaking to you this morning, (yesterday) six of the eight contacts that were quarantined have tested positive to Ebola virus, but are not showing signs or symptoms yet. But they are still being monitored.

Right now, they cannot be treated because Nigeria has no specific viral drug, and we cannot use the American viral drug.

“There are efforts now to ensure that the country comes up with possible viral drug within the next month to treat infected Nigerians. For now, we are only boosting their immune systems by giving them healthy foods. There is problem on ground and we should be doing what is needed to put an end to it.”

Already, unconfirmed reports have it that the Lagos State Government was considering setting up an Ebola Centre at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, following the facility’s capability to cater for such situation.

Tracking
“Out of 70 contacts from the airline to the hospital, we found out that 14 had serious direct contact with victims; eight of them developed symptoms. Initially, we were following them through telephone conversations, we are checking their temperatures periodically.

“That is why we need people to carry out these activities. We need to train a lot of people. If people refuse, then who is going to do it? We need to trace these people and what they do. Once anyone of these people develops symptoms, he or she is taken back to the place because it is possible they have reached the period of infectivity.
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 1:18am On Aug 06, 2014
“Having done that, we have to go back to secondary contacts, which are the immediate family members. Right now, we are following them up one after the other. We cannot carry all the families into quarantine. We are developing links with all the secondary contacts for follow up.

“On hazard allowance, this happened in Guinea when it first started. There were issues of cultural practices and, at a point, their medical workers abandoned the patients and it was people from outside that helped.

This is a serious disease; we are seriously considering proper hazard allowance for all the people who will volunteer to work with us. We are working with the Federal Government on how best to work it out and design proper incentives. We are doing it fast, this is a health emergency.
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 1:22am On Aug 06, 2014
“But the committee where we are having challenges getting volunteers is case management. This is the people that work directly with confirmed and suspected cases.

Look at the protective measures that doctors in Liberia and Guinea wear. They are well protected, yet some of them still caught it. Our doctors are worried about the danger it poses to their lives and they need to be reassured. We understand their fears and we are making moves to confirm the level of preparedness of the government for doctors.”

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/feared-infected-ebola-virus/#sthash.8YvfsEtl.dpuf
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by Gbade60: 1:26am On Aug 06, 2014
God please Heal our land
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 1:32am On Aug 06, 2014
http://www.punchng.com/news/sawyer-lagos-matron-shows-ebola-symptoms/

There was gloom at the secretariat of the Nigerian Medical Association,Lagos State chapter when the association’s Chairman, Dr. Tope Ojo, disclosed that the matron of the hospital where the Liberian-born American, Patrick Sawyer, was admitted for treatment was showing symptoms of Ebola virus.
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by uken73(m): 2:19am On Aug 06, 2014
US Govt claims exclusive ownership of Ebola and registers Patent.

https://www.nairaland.com/1844641/u.s-government-claims-exclusive-ownership#25259211
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by DrTee1(m): 2:32am On Aug 06, 2014
This is where our carelessness and our 'certificate-worshiping-syndrome' has led us.

What that implies is that the medical team at the Obalende private hospital where Mr Sawyer was hospitalised NEVER thought about EBOLA, never read about CURRENT MEDICAL CHALLENGES in Africa or in the world!!!

Yet, these are people who would google Apple Inc. or GRE-type question whenever they want to recruit new personnel into their 'privileged' hospital.

Their failure is almost unpardonable. They failed at SIMPLE HISTORY TAKING & appropriate analysis cum interpretation!

It confirms the same problem we are weighed down by: our educational system has long been overstretched. People who have no business beyond JS3 have gone on to get MSc by 'push-am' ways or 'Federal Character' or 'Educationally Less Advantaged States' and all sorts or rubbish.

We have long put too much emphasis on paper degrees at our own detriment! What we sow is what we would reap!

I'm not doubting the competence of the medical team, although I blame them FULLY, but it is easily deducible that they didn't do a good job in the very first place.

Put that same Nigerian Dr not even in America or Canada - but in Egypt or even Botswana or Lesotho and you'll marvel at how adroit he would be at his job, which he has been appropriately trained for. But by the time he is thinking about how many LOCUM jobs he can tie down in a day to augument his paypack/take-home pay OR how he can substitute a University-trained qualified nurse with a scarcely trained 'auxillary' alternative - in order to maximise his profit, what do you expect?

Professionalism has gone to the dogs - even in the HALLOWED medical profession and we just invited EBOLA now as a multiplier consequence of a failed Nigerian State.

I have always maintained that our leaders shouldn't be solely blamed. We are no longer under the military anyway (not that that was a real excuse though). We today elect our leaders and representatives!

Let no one say 'rigging' - if the 'rigger' is unpopular, his rigging would be unsuccessful. Ask about the Akin Omoboriowo/Ajasin Ondo State election of 1983 if you doubt me, for example or the genesis WETIE 1964 Crisis, if you doubt me.

When however, the people are greedy and short-sighted, what do you expect of the leaders chosen from among them

We have failed ourselves! If Ebola wipes us off the face of the earth, well, so be it. I hope we all would have learnt our lessons when or if we re-incarnate!

That's sarcasm. I don't wish to die. By the special grace of God, this EBOLA miasma would pass and we would survive it as a Nation - but we must CHANGE. Our current 'third world' greedy, avarious, nepotic, ethnic-bigotry laden and CORRUPT mentality is KILLING us all - and it is sparing no one just yet!

4 Likes

Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by Tiyazman(m): 2:37am On Aug 06, 2014
Hey wake up! Ebola is in Nigeria already!! Be safe. . . .

Meanwhile. . . JUST WROTE THIS LITTLE RAP VERSE WHILE WATCHING ALJZEERA YESTERDAY. . .

Ok, what's happening to humanity/ it's like as everyday goes by we lose sanity/
we wrecking havoc on our own neighbours/ and the only excuse we can give is; cos we the nation God's favored/
men no longer use dialogue to build up the broken walls/ we've refused peace and now we've chosen war/
Religion Extremists be taking our children/ everybody's a saddist. . . a man would wake up in the morning just to go kill another brethren/
See! nobody wants the love spread/ it's a pity, we only love it when the slugs sprayed/
Black on black violence in America/ a little boy killed by a stray bullet, he was barely five/
one man pushed his best friend over the Lagoon/ four students burnt to death in Aluu/
Hypocrites! You fail to create opportunities to positively put your youths aflame/
now they rob you, and you're quick to round them with tires, light a match and put your youths aflame/
I put on the News Channels/ and my mood channels/ to the sad side/ bro! Don't you know the oil spillage be deterioting the south side?/
Our government don't give a middle finger/ we ain't getting good music from these money blinded evil singers/ (and rappers!)
Doro me pissed off/ that 'em Doro matches FIFA hosted, they almost fixed all!/
Me and my hommie shouted Happy New year in January/ BOOM! Boko Haram ended my hommie's life in January!/

*wipes tears*

Mr. Linus! What's this rumors I've been hearing?/ I mean the new superstar epidermic that be trending/
I'm not surprised tho! You refused your God and accepted Science, Mr.Linus/ now your "doctors" are the easy conductors of the virus!/

. . .let's preach peace and love/ you preach, see riches and dodge!/ but remember it's all vanity upon vanity. . .
you will choke on your words, you will swallow your lies and purge!!/

Let's be real, our hearts are filled/ with pain, but we can't speak out, like our mouths are sealed/
every body scared to say the truth, and going through the wrong path. . . . but I hope these words I've dropped is made light to our feet!!!

3 Likes

Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by kultimate009: 3:12am On Aug 06, 2014
OkikiOluwa1: Sauce?
U wan cook ni abi wetin?
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by Nobody: 4:05am On Aug 06, 2014
Am Afraid of entering the hospital. Not with that meagre hazard allowance will I risk my life.
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by citizenisb: 7:44am On Aug 06, 2014
Government should not treat this with kid gloves o
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:29am On Aug 06, 2014
kultimate009: U wan cook ni abi wetin?
yes na, I need source to verify the news
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 06, 2014
I thought as much. I d i o t s! They are incompetent! Mofos! And lies? They can lie!
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by IGBOSON1: 10:39am On Aug 06, 2014
chimoz: Am Afraid of entering the hospital. Not with that meagre hazard allowance will I risk my life.

^^^But it's what you signed up for, no be so? What happened to the hippocratic oath you pledged?

This current ebola outbreak has shown up Nigerian Doctors to be not only ill-trained, but -as we all suspected- interested primarily in how much money they can make from the profession! When push comes to shove, they're ill-prepared or just not interested! Don't let anyone come at me with all that 'our number one interest is saving lives and helping humanity'! How many Nigerian Doctors do you see leaving their comfort zone and going out to volunteer in places facing natural or human related devastation like wars, earthquakes or Tsunamis?

Who knows, maybe the medical personnel at the hospital concerned welcomed the Liberian dude with a big hug and a kiss undecided......this one so many of them have become infected with the virus!
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 06, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^But it's what you signed up for, no be so? What happened to the hippocratic oath you pledged?

This current ebola outbreak has shown up Nigerian Doctors to be not only ill-trained, but -as we all suspected- interested primarily in how much money they can make from the profession! When push comes to shove, they're ill-prepared or just not interested! Don't let anyone come at me with all that 'our number one interest is saving lives and helping humanity'! How many Nigerian Doctors do you see leaving their comfort zone and going out to volunteer in places facing natural or human related devastation like wars, earthquakes or Tsunamis?

Who knows, maybe the medical personnel at the hospital concerned welcomed the Liberian dude with a big hug and a kiss undecided......this one so many of them have become infected with the virus!
Don't blame the doctors, blame the federal government and the patients. I can't sacrifice my life for a humanity that doesn't care if I did or not.
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by IGBOSON1: 11:32am On Aug 06, 2014
chimoz:
Don't blame the doctors, blame the federal government and the patients. I can't sacrifice my life for a humanity that doesn't care if I did or not.

^^^Hehehehehe grin grin grin
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by passion007: 1:46pm On Aug 06, 2014
IGBOSON1:

This is quite insensitive of you, and I'm disappointed.
The female Dr, likely a Medical Officer, had to examine the patient in her care before she could even suspect Ebola. She had to administer drugs. The Nurse had to 'nurse' him. What about the orderlies who had to wheel him into the hospital. In that brief period, each of these people would have become infected.
Even if anyone had suspected Ebola, where would you have done the Ebola testing? Even if a Dr in Nsukka suspects Ebola today, do you think he has access to confirmatory investigations?

If you can't commiserate with the victims, be silent.
"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague"---Judith Martin
Re: Shocking!! Liberian Ebola Victim Was Not Isolated For 48 Hours!! by khamas19: 3:52pm On Aug 06, 2014
....what is the minister for health's job?...this ebola thing had been going on for weeks before sawyer came in...what was the cow doing?...what

were the law makers doing?...what were Jonathan's special advisers doing?...what was Jonathan doing?...lemme guess "2015 strategizing".

so of all these people no one thought to convene some sort of meeting...or fact finding comittee that would have resulted in the restriction of

movement of the likes of sawyer or at least given border control an action plan to follow once sawyer got in?

....it is called being proactive....and don't say it is hindsight because i thot of all this the first time they metioned ebola in the news...

....Jonathan will be the end of this country...incompetence everywhere....

(1) (Reply)

Soyinka Blasts Muslim Leaders Over Boko Haram / Former Nigerian Military Dictator Babangida Hospitalized In Germany / I Am Coming To South Africa – T.B Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.