Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,458 members, 7,861,321 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:41 AM

Howard Webb Retires From Refereeing - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Howard Webb Retires From Refereeing (554 Views)

Emmanuel Emenike Retires From The National Team / Howard Webb Retires From Refereeing After 25 Years / NFF Protests Fraudulent Refereeing Against Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Howard Webb Retires From Refereeing by caterpillar: 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
Howard Webb has retired from refereeing to become techincal director at Professional Game Match Officials Limited.

Webb, 43, started his refereeing career in 1989 and oversaw his first Premier League match in October 2003, before being added to Fifa's international referees' list two years later.

In 2010, he took charge of the Champions League final between Inter and Bayern Munich and then the World Cup final in South Africa as Spain beat Netherlands, where midfielder Nigel de Jong escaped punishment for a lunging high challenge on Xabi Alonso before Johnny Heitinga was sent off.

Webb also took part in the finals in Brazil this summer, where he took charge of the hosts' last-16 clash with Chile in Belo Horizonte.

Webb's new role will include "overseeing the technical direction and standards that govern the on-field performance of PGMOL's match officials", according to an official statement.

He will also be responsible for the training and coaching of referees, as well as "informing and educating" the public on refereeing issues.

"I am very excited to start this new chapter in my career after a wonderfully rewarding 25 years on the pitch," Webb said.

"I have spent over a decade with the best seat in the house for Barclays Premier League matches, been lucky enough to be involved in nine major international tournaments, and taken charge of the Uefa Champions League and FIFA World Cup Finals.

"Refereeing has given me so much and I think it's important that match officials who have had the rewards remain in the game to pass on their knowledge.

"I also have much more to learn about the business of refereeing and I believe the best place for me to do that is with PGMOL. It's an incredibly positive working environment and we all have a common goal of improving refereeing.

"Over the last five years in particular we have made huge strides in terms of our accuracy, fitness and professionalism. The current Select Group are the best referees this country has ever produced and I am thrilled that I not only get the chance to continue working with them but also the opportunity to help develop the next generation of Select Group officials."

Mike Riley, former Premier League referee and general manager at PGMOL, added: "Howard has been the foremost referee of his generation and an inspiration for match officials in this country and around the world."

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4067/england/2014/08/06/5013568/webb-retires-from-refereeing-to-become-pgmol-technical?ICID=HP_BN_1
Re: Howard Webb Retires From Refereeing by Ayotricks(m): 2:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
OK....sad news fr man u
Re: Howard Webb Retires From Refereeing by Rikidony(m): 2:30pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ayotricks: OK....sad news fr man u

you just took the word from ma mouth grin grin

United fans be like.........CHAI E DON DO BE DAT angry angry

grin grin grin grin
Re: Howard Webb Retires From Refereeing by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
Sad news fr the whole of premiership
Re: Howard Webb Retires From Refereeing by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
man u fans where art thou, show thy face and recieve thou baptism of fire because what goes round comes around
Re: Howard Webb Retires From Refereeing by Tallesty1(m): 2:42pm On Aug 06, 2014
Good News For Chelsea.
Ayotricks: OK....sad news fr man u

(1) (Reply)

2015 AYC Qualifier: Flying Eagles Name 25-man Squad For Lesotho Clash / TOP 5: Endearing Things Louis Van Gaal Has Done At Man Utd So Far. / Mario Balotelli Says Final Goodbye To Milan Fans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.