Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,952 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? (20690 Views)

Is Traditional Marriage Still Relevant? / What Is 'traditional' To The Igbo? | Gịnị Bụ Omẹnàlà Na Ányá Ńdí Ìgbò? / Is Traditional Marriage A Must? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 06, 2014
I'm currently arguing this out with a group and I'm confused on where to stand.

Can one carry out only traditional marriage and live throughout his life with that? Or is the white marriage a compulsory necessity?

If the traditional marriage is a complete one, kindly state out why. If it is not, do same please.

Mods, you can move it to family section if deemed necessary.

You're most welcome.
Discuss.
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by ammyluv2002(f): 4:52pm On Aug 06, 2014
Yeah! White & court wedding are just ceremonial. You can decide not to wed in the church but you must perform the traditional rites on a lady before she can be called your wife....It's in the bible and as a Christian, I always go with my bible principles not trendy principles.

Although some say is ok to get a marriage blessing from a priest/pastor which isn't bad grin

36 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 06, 2014
ammyluv2002: Yeah! White & court wedding are just ceremonial. You can decide not to wed in the church but you must perform the traditional rites on a lady before she can be called your wife....is in the bible and as a Christian, I always go with my bible principles not trendy principles.

Although some say is ok to get a marriage blessing from a priest/pastor which isn't bad grin
many ladies can't live with a man as husband and wife if white wedding hasn't been performed.
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 06, 2014
Largas:
many ladies can't live with a man as husband and wife if white wedding hasn't been performed.

thats because most girls see white wedding as an avenue to show off but, technically, traditional wedding covers everything.

53 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 06, 2014
Zedric: thats because most girls see white wedding as an avenue to show off but, technically, traditional wedding covers everything.
WORD!!!
YouSpeakTheTruth.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by TomiwaDamola(f): 6:24am On Aug 07, 2014
Why won't it be? When our parents and grandparents had only the traditional wedding was it not a complete wedding?

25 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Mynd44: 3:39am On Aug 09, 2014
White wedding is a form of traditional wedding. Traditional wedding we borrowed from another culture.

I essence, if you do your traditional wedding and a "white" wedding, you just did two traditional weddings. Any wedding which is blessed by your church pastor(leader) is a church wedding. It does not matter if you wear white(or a gown or the groom wears a 3 piece suit) or not. It does not matter if you have it in church or not(you can have it in a hall and your pastor comes over to bless you with the church's backing)

Hell these days, traditional leaders have marriage registers which is domiciled with the Baale, local Oba or an recognised Traditional leader and you go there to sign it which makes it official(They report to the Local Governments)

I don't know why people love calling their traditional marriage "engagement" and their church wedding "wedding" it is just weird. When you have something called "Introduction" which is basically an engagement ceremony.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Nobody: 3:42am On Aug 09, 2014
Funnicator: I'm currently arguing this out with a group and I'm confused on where to stand.

Can one carry out only traditional marriage and live throughout his life with that? Or is the white marriage a compulsory necessity?

If the traditional marriage is a complete one, kindly state out why. If it is not, do same please.

Mods, you can move it to family section if deemed necessary.

You're most welcome.
Discuss.

grin
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Zakkyoz: 3:53am On Aug 09, 2014
God i thank you for the type of fiancee you gave me. she is enlightened and free from neo-colonisation. the whites should equally come and copy our form of marriage.

14 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by shadowwalker101: 3:54am On Aug 09, 2014
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
suppose to be but because our copy copy its not
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by BrAkingNews: 3:56am On Aug 09, 2014
don't know ooo
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Aromas: 3:58am On Aug 09, 2014
Mynd44: White wedding is a form of traditional wedding. Traditional wedding we borrowed from another culture.

I essence, if you do your traditional wedding and a "white" wedding, you just did two traditional weddings. Any wedding which is consumated by your church pastor(leader) is a church wedding. It does not matter if you wear white(or a gown or the groom wears a 3 piece suit) or not. It does not matter if you have it in church or not(you can have it in a hall and your pastor comes over to bless you with the church's backing)

Hell these days, traditional leaders have marriage registers which is domiciled with the Baale, local Oba or an recognised Traditional leader and you go there to sign it which makes it official(They report to the Local Governments)

I don't know why people love calling their traditional marriage "engagement" and their church wedding "wedding" it is just weird. When you have something called "Introduction" which is basically an engagement ceremony.
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by strangest(m): 4:01am On Aug 09, 2014
It is complete but the only issue with it is that you do not get a certificate to show a bona fide relationship

3 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by tellwisdom: 4:06am On Aug 09, 2014
White wedding is the traditional wedding to the westerns. But we have chosen to add our own traditional to theirs, making it two trads...you see how foolish we are??

36 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Nobody: 4:14am On Aug 09, 2014
Marriage is just a piece of paper whether its cultural, legal, white or black. If two people are meant to be together, they will without the need of getting married.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by iamord(m): 4:19am On Aug 09, 2014
Mynd44: White wedding is a form of traditional wedding. Traditional wedding we borrowed from another culture.

I essence, if you do your traditional wedding and a "white" wedding, you just did two traditional weddings. Any wedding which is consumated by your church pastor(leader) is a church wedding. It does not matter if you wear white(or a gown or the groom wears a 3 piece suit) or not. It does not matter if you have it in church or not(you can have it in a hall and your pastor comes over to bless you with the church's backing)

Am impressed with your talk..well you are right.. I also red that it was an ifa preist that officiated felas wedding at the ikeja registry.. For me I will do the two. But I believe the traditional is more of the essence

4 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by iamord(m): 4:20am On Aug 09, 2014
strangest: It is complete but the only issue with it is that you do not get a certificate to show a bona fide relationship
Uu can If that's how uu want to wed
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Mynd44: 4:20am On Aug 09, 2014
iamord:

Am impressed with your talk..well you are right.. I also red that it was an ifa preist that officiated felas wedding at the ikeja registry.. For me I will do the two. But I believe the traditional is more of the essence
Which made it a court and a pagan (not traditional) wedding
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by iamord(m): 4:21am On Aug 09, 2014
tellwisdom: White wedding is the traditional wedding to the westerns. But we have chosen to add our own traditional to theirs, making it two trads...you see how foolish we are??

Lol! So we just sugar coated our traditional wedding by calling it engagement.. I have seen traditional weddings that even killed a lot of white weedings.

1 Like

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Nobody: 4:23am On Aug 09, 2014
Your purse determines everything. To know I see no reason doing the three brands of wedding,save if the person is Dangote..I even prefer the tradition marriage,all the church,court wedding are imposed by the whites..if a man hasn't performed the tradition rite on a lady,customarily,he's not officially the husband,this also buttress the fact that tradition marriage is the best according to me,while others are dependent on the buoyancy of the man.
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by iamord(m): 4:23am On Aug 09, 2014
Mynd44:
Which made it a court and a pagan (not traditional) wedding

Yeah I guess. So but I believe the necessary traditional practice was done.. The registry is just for the sake of getting the cert
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Mynd44: 4:25am On Aug 09, 2014
iamord:

Yeah I guess. So but I believe the necessary traditional practice was done.. The registry is just for the sake of getting the cert
Because tradition is closer to Paganism, I am sure the both were done.
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by LMAyedun(m): 4:32am On Aug 09, 2014
Zedric: thats because most girls see white wedding as an avenue to show off but, technically, traditional wedding covers everything.
Gbam!!
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by LMAyedun(m): 4:33am On Aug 09, 2014
Yomieluv: Your purse determines everything. To know I see no reason doing the three brands of wedding,save if the person is Dangote.. I even prefer the tradition marriage,all the church,court wedding are imposed by the whites..if a man hasn't performed the tradition rite on a lady,customarily,he's not officially the husband,this also buttress the fact that tradition marriage is the best according to me,while others are dependent on the buoyancy of the man.
what's it with you and Dangote this morning? Did you see him in your dreams?

1 Like

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by oseiwe(m): 5:31am On Aug 09, 2014
It used to be complete till things turned upside down.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Nobody: 5:34am On Aug 09, 2014
Traditional marriage is complete because marriage only means when a man and woman agree to marry each other and the two families accepted, but it is not binding under the law that is why a court/white marriage is needed and also for the spiritual aspect of it, depending on your faith/religious belief.

12 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:54am On Aug 09, 2014
strangest: It is complete but the only issue with it is that you do not get a certificate to show a bona fide relationship

The emboldened above is wrong. After your traditional marriage, you should go to the Customary court within the area where you wedded to register the marriage within 60 days of the marriage being conducted. After registering it, you'd be issued with a "certificate of registration of marriage". This certificate is your marriage certificate and is backed by our laws.

I did only traditional marriage and that's what I used to get my wife a UK dependant visa.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Justiyke4u: 5:58am On Aug 09, 2014
There are two types of marriage in Nigeria that is customary marriage and marriage under the act. Now marriage under the act is wat people call white wedding and customary traditional marriage. Now customary marriage is a complete marriage recognised by law as long as the ingredients that makes it valid are furnished and under this type of marriage a person is allowed to marry more than one wife. Now marriage under the act is yet another complete different marriage on its own and under dis type it is one man one wife. Now the legal effect of contracting the two types of marriages as we often see in Nigeria is the marriage under the act (white wedding) nullifies the earlier customary marriage. Question, why do we still contract the two types of marriages?

It may be important to note that there is even nothing like church wedding or court wedding people refer to this type of marriage based on the person that joined the parties together both are still marriage under the act.

5 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Odunharry(m): 6:05am On Aug 09, 2014
ammyluv2002: Yeah! White & court wedding are just ceremonial. You can decide not to wed in the church but you must perform the traditional rites on a lady before she can be called your wife....is in the bible and as a Christian, I always go with my bible principles not trendy principles.

where av u bn?
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Odunharry(m): 6:07am On Aug 09, 2014
TomiwaDamola: Why won't it be? When our parents and grandparents had only the traditional wedding was it not a complete wedding?
i dy tell u..
Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by InvertedHammer: 6:12am On Aug 09, 2014
/
Then you go to Marriage Registry and get one.

I tire for marriage matter.

Introduction + (traditional + white)marriage + orisirisi....tomorrow when once successful man starts panelbeating his wife,
people no go understand say na frustration.

Wahala be say people dey use white wedding as a fundraising event. So if you no do, no gifts.
Or worse, if you get stingy guests, kasala go burst...straight back to village.

\

5 Likes

Re: Is Traditional Marriage Complete Marriage? by Toosure70: 6:12am On Aug 09, 2014
is there place in d bible where marriage was celebrated in d church?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yoruba Boys Are Wavy !!!! / Meet Onikepo Akande, Ashipa Iyalode Ibadan (Photos) / Photos From Siddika Sanusi's Kunshi Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.