Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters (1496 Views)

At The Ice Cream Shop. / ‘’don’t Speak Igbo In This House’’ By Ucheoma Onwutuebe / Poetry: The Ice Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters by almacherish(f): 2:28pm On Aug 07, 2014
The right of Minette Walters to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted by her in accordance with the copyright, Designs and patents act 1988

I just thought i should share this story with you guys........ Also, this is not my work....... Pls sit n enjoy it....... Tnx
Re: THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters by almacherish(f): 3:03pm On Aug 07, 2014
O N E
'Fred Phillips is running.' Anne Cattrell's remark burst upon the silence of that August afternoon like a fart at a vicar's tea-party.
Startled, her two companions looked up, Diana from her sketch-pad, Phoebe from her gardening book, their eyes watering at this abrupt transition from the printed page to brilliant sunlight. They had sat in contented stillness for an hour, grouped about a wrought-iron table on the terrace of their house where the wreckage of a lazy tea jostled with the flotsam of their professional lives: a pair of secateurs, an open paint-box, pages of manuscript, one with a circular tea stain where Anne had dumped a cup without thinking.
Phoebe was perched on an upright chair at right angles to the table, crossed ankles tucked neatly beneath her, red hair corkscrewing in flaming whorls about her shoulders. Her position was harldy changed from half an hour prevoiusly when she had finished her tea and guility buried her nose in her book instead of returning to the greenhouse to finish off a bulk order for five hundred Ivyleaf pelargonium cuttings.
Diana, unashamedly glistening with Ambre Solaire, reclined on a sun-lounger, the pleated skirt of her printed cotton dress spilling over the sides and brushing the flagstones. One elegant hand toyed with the underbelly of the Labrador lying beside her, the other drew swirling doodles in the margin of her sketch-pad which should have been filled - but was not - with commissioned designs for a cottage interior in Fowey.
Anne, who had been struggling between intermittent dozes to conjure up a thousand words on 'vaginal Orgasm - Fact or Fiction' for an obscure magazine, was drawn up tight against the table, chin on hands, dark eyes staring down the long vista of landscapped garden in front of her.
Phoebe glanced at her briefly then turned to follow her gaze, peering over her spectacles across the wide expanse of lawn. 'good lord!' she exclaimed.
Her gardener, a man of massive proportions, was pounding across the grass, naked 2 the waist, his huge belly lapping at his trousers like some monstrous tidal wave. The semi-nudity was suprising enough, for Frd held strong views about his position at streech Grange. Among other things, this required Phoebe to whistle a warning of her approach in the garden so that he might clothe himself suitably for what he reffered to as a parley-vous, even in the heat of summer.
Re: THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters by almacherish(f): 3:48pm On Aug 07, 2014
'Perhaps he's won the pools,' suggested Diana, but without conviction as the three women watched his rapidly slowing advance.

'Highly unlikely,' countered Anne, pushing her chair away from the table. 'Fred's inertia would demand a more powerful stimulus than filthy lucre to prompt this bout of activity.'

They watched the rest of Fred's approach in silence. He was walking by the time he reached the terrace. He paused for a moment, leaning one hand heavily on the low wall bordreing the flagstones, catching his breath. There was a tinge of grey to the weathered cheeks, a rasp in his throat. Concerned, Phoebe gesture d to Diana to pull forward a vacant chair, then she stood up, took Fred's arm and helped him into it.

'Whatever's happened?' she asked anxiously.

'Oh, madam, something awful.' He was sweating profusely, unable to get the words out quickly. Perspiration ran in streams over his fat brown breasts, soft and round like a woman's and the smell was all-pervading, consuming the sweet scent of the roses which nodded in beds at the edge of the terrace. Aware of this and of his unclothedness, he wrung his hands in embarrassment. 'I'm so sorry, madam.'

Diana swung her legs off the lounger and sat up, twitching a rug off the back of her chair and placing it neatly across his shoulders. 'You should keep yourself warm after a run like that, Fred,'

He wrapped the rug around him, nodding his appreciation. 'What's happened, Fred?' Phoebe asked again.
Re: THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters by almacherish(f): 4:56pm On Aug 07, 2014
'I dont rightly know to say it' - she thought she saw compassion in his eyes - 'but it's got to be told.'

'Then tell me,' she prompted gently. 'I'm sure it can't be that bad.' she glanced at Benson, the yellow Labrador, still lying placidly by Diana's chair. 'Has hegdes been run over?'

He reached out a rough, mud-caked hand from between the folds of the rug and with a familarity that was quite out of character placed it on her's and squeezed gently. The gesture was as brief as it was unexpected. 'There's a body in the old ice house madam.'
Re: THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters by almacherish(f): 5:08pm On Aug 07, 2014
There was a moment's silence. 'A body?' echoed Phoebe. 'What sort of body?' Her voice was unemotional, steady.

Anne flicked a glance in her direction. There were times, she thought, when her friend's composure frightened her.

'To tell you the truth, madam, I didnt look too close. It was a shock, comin on it the way I did.' He stared unhappily at his feet. 'stepped on it like it before I saw it. There was a bit of a smell afterwards.' They all looked in fascination at his garden boots and he, regretting his impulsive statement, shuffled them awkwardly out of sight, under the rug. 'It's allright, madam,' he said, 'wiped them on the grass as soon as I could.'

the cup and saucer in Phoebe's hand rattled and she put them carefully on the table beside her secateurs. 'of course you did, Fred. How thoughtful of you. Would you like some tea? A cake perhaps?' she asked him.

'No, thank you, madam.'
Re: THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters by almacherish(f): 5:22pm On Aug 07, 2014
Diana turned away, suppressing an awful desire to laugh. Only Phoebe, she thought, of all the women she knew would offer cake in such circumstances. In its way it was admirable, for Phoebe, more than any of them, would be affected by Fred's shocking revelation.

Anne scrabbled among the pages of her manuscript in search of her cigarettes. With an abrupt movement she flicked the box open and offered it to Fred. He glance at Phoebe for a permission he didnt need and sh nodded gravely. 'Thank you kindly, Miss Cattrell. My nerves are that shook up.'

anne lit it for him, holding his steady with hers. 'Let's get this straight, Fred,' she said, her dark eyes searching his. 'It's a person's dead body. Is that right?'

'That's right, Miss Cattrell.'

'Do you know who it is?'

'I cant say I do, miss.' He spoke with reluctance. 'I cant say anyone will know who it is.' He drew deeply on his cigarette, the sweat of supressed nausea breaking out on his forehead. 'The truth is, from the quick look I had, there's not much of it left. It must have been there a while.'
Re: THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters by almacherish(f): 6:28pm On Aug 07, 2014
Hmmmmm no comments.... Na waa o
Re: THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters by almacherish(f): 7:04pm On Aug 07, 2014

The three women looked at him aghast. 'But surely its got clothes on, Fred?' Diana asked nervously. At least you know if its a man or a woman.'

'No clothes that I could see, Mrs Goode.'

'You'd better show me.' Phoebe stood up with sudden decision and Fred rose awkwardly to his feet. 'I'd rather not, madam. You shouldn't see it. I dont want to take you down there.'

'Then I'l go on my own.' she smiled suddenly and laid a hand on his arm. I'm sorry but I have to see it. You do understand that, dont you, Fred?'

He stubbed out his cigarette and pulled the rug tighter over his shoulders. 'If you're that intent on going, I'l come with you. Its not something you should see alone.'

'Thank you.' she turned to Diana. 'Will you phone the police for me?'

'of course.'

Anne pushed her chair back. I'll come with you.' she told Phoebe. Then she called after Diana as she followed the other two across the grass. 'You might lay on some brandy, I'l be needing some, even if no one else does.'
Re: THE ICE HOUSE By Minette Walters by labaski(f): 2:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
hello.. pls do u still intend to write ds story?
modified,continue i mean

(1) (Reply)

The Fulfilled Man( A Short Story) / Sidney Sheldon/dan Brown(which Is Your Fav+their Respective Books You've Read!) / How Jollof Rice Saved My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.