Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,498 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S (1629 Views)

Doctors On High Alert: Mosquito Tests Positive For Chikungunya In Harris County / Doctors In U.S. On High Alert For Chikungunya Virus / Rice Disease Breaks Out In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 07, 2014
Over the past few days, Ebola has turned to a household name in every home in Nigeria, The Ministry Of Health is working to find the 70 people which might have possibly had contact with Mr. Sawyer [the dead infected Liberian National] . The main question on people's mind is "Where are those who took the same flight with mr.sawyer.?".. The U.S said that they've found a possible cure for the virus but its not ready for west africa ,Now it seems the U.S now Has a challenge to face with the Chikungunya Virus Outbreak .. Here's an Extract from CBS NEWS "The new threat, a virus
called chikungunya, has
doctors such as Rutgers
entomologist Dr. Dina
Fonseca on high alert.
“The populations of
mosquitoes are at their
highest, at their peak,
so that’s why we’re
really worried about it,”
Fonseca said.
A bite by a mosquito
carrying the virus can
cause fever, rash and
severe joint pain.
Symptoms typically
start a few days after
a bite and can last for
months, CBS 2 reported.
“Your hands, your feet,
your knees and elbows
really hurt,” Fonseca
said.
Prior outbreaks have
occurred in Africa, Asia,
and Europe. Late last
year, the virus was
found for the first time
on the Caribbean
islands, where more
than 100,000 people
have been sickened.
In May, officials
declared chikungunya an
epidemic in the
Caribbean and there’s
concern that could lead
to more cases in the
United States.
“We should be worried
about people coming in
infected and potentially
transmitting locally,”
Fonseca said.
Prevention is key and
experts say to protect
yourself from the virus,
simply limit your
exposure to
mosquitoes. They also
advise wearing long
sleeves and pants
when outside and in
possible contact with
mosquitoes.
“These bite during the
day, they’re fierce
biters,” Peter Rendine
of Bergen County
Mosquito Control said.
Rendine said
homeowners may be
unwittingly hatching
armies of mosquitoes
by not getting rid of the
standing water they
need to breed.
“What we like to say to
the homeowners when
we find mosquitoes
that they’re breeding on
their property — that
they’re terrorizing their
whole neighborhood,”
Rendine said.
Other simple measures
can go a long way
toward keeping your
summer safe, like
repairing broken
screens, CBS 2 reported.
In July, New Jersey
health officials urged
residents to protect
themselves from
mosquito-borne
illnesses
this summer.
So far, 20 New Jersey
residents have tested
positive for
chikungunya.
The first two U.S.-
acquired cases of the
chikungunya virus were
reported in Florida earlier
this month
The health department
has found West Nile
virus in mosquito pools
in Atlantic, Bergen,
Burlington, Camden,
Gloucester, Hudson,
Hunterdon, Mercer,
Middlesex, Passaic and
Union counties." God Save Our Souls!!! Source:THE S.R.I.G
Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by nora544: 8:05pm On Aug 07, 2014
oluwaseun0sewa: Over the past few days, Ebola has turned to a household name in every home in Nigeria, The Ministry Of Health is working to find the 70 people which might have possibly had contact with Mr. Sawyer [the dead infected Liberian National] . The main question on people's mind is "Where are those who took the same flight with mr.sawyer.?".. The U.S said that they've found a possible cure for the virus but its not ready for west africa ,Now it seems the U.S now Has a challenge to face with the Chikunguya Virus Outbreak

but Ebola kills people and the other one no, so there is a big difference!
Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by DickDastardly(m): 8:13pm On Aug 07, 2014
Fake Seun!
angry sad

Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 07, 2014
nora544:

but Ebola kills people and the other one no, so there is a big difference!
In 2005 more than 250 people lost their lives to chikungunya virus.. BOTH CAN KILL..
Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 07, 2014
DickDastardly: Fake Seun!
angry sad
I Would Say it loud and clear. I am not seun osewa, owner of nairaland. And i'm not saying i am.
Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by kennyung: 8:15pm On Aug 07, 2014
You are impersonating OUR OGAS AT THE TOPPEST-TOP

Dere is God 00000
Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by nora544: 8:16pm On Aug 07, 2014
oluwaseun0sewa: In 2005 more than 250 people lost their lives to chikungunya virus.. BOTH CAN KILL..

But you didnot tell us how many people get it so I know that more than 260 000 people have this and only 250 dies

Ebola at the moment 1700 testet positiy and 925 are death so please there is a very big difference!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikungunya

please read
Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 07, 2014
nora544:

But you didnot tell us how many people get it so I know that more than 260 000 people have this and only 250 dies

Ebola at the moment 1700 testet positiy and 925 are death so please there is a very big difference!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikungunya

please read
you're right though.. I searched the net for the countries that are likely to get it.. Unfortunately Naija is among... God help us oooh
Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 07, 2014
Let'em give us the chinkung virus and take ebola.....
Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by kennyung: 8:24pm On Aug 07, 2014
Fake
oluwaseun0sewa
Are you short sighted Your post is Roughly posted
Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 07, 2014
kennyung: Fake Are you short sighted Your post is Roughly posted
mtchewwww are you here to curse me or what..? I tell you say i know no when i put 0sewa.. Mind yourself
Re: Nigeria Continues To Battle Ebola While Chikungunya Virus Breaks Out In The U.S by hushmail: 8:32pm On Aug 07, 2014
is like comparing sleep with death

bros big difference dey.

ebola no get part 2

(1) (Reply)

10 Proven Health Benefits Of eggs ( No . 1 Is My Favorite ) / Nigerian Inventor Of 'cancer Goggles' Receives St. Louis Award / He As Something Like Boil All Over Is Dick And They Are Itchy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.