Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? (1037 Views)

The Six Catholic Seminarians Lying In State. Rip (Photo) / Nwobodo wasn't a Faithful Anglican, PDP to APC wont save him– Bishop Chukwuma / Ebola-Free: Nigerian Catholic Church Restores Handshakes During Mass. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by igbokwesampson(m): 7:39pm On Aug 08, 2014
I posted on this section last week sunday on the ravaging Ebola virus and the christian pratice of exchange of peace popularly known as " ekele nke udo " in igbo language, common among the Roman Catholic Church .
Incase you missed the thread you can read here-
https://www.nairaland.com/1841033/ebola-church.
However Information reaching me though unconfirmed says that the Catholic Bishop of the Archdiocese of Lagos has banned the continue practice of this ritual( exchange of peace ) amongst members during mass celebrations, it also has it that plans were on ground to establish another way of giving the holy communion during mass celebration, either to continue with the usual hand to tongue or hand to hand. This thread is not to cause confusion but only meant for confirmation by Catholic faithful that resides in Lagos. This is not in deviation from known cannon law as canon law did not prescribe any particular way of giving communion even as this is a measure taken to forestall the spread of this deadly virus even inside the church the person said.

PLZ IF YOU ARE IN LAGOS , HOW TRUE IS. THIS?
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by purplesummer(f): 7:54pm On Aug 08, 2014
I support the ban placed on the peace offer (if such indeed happened). It doesn't in any way affect the essence of the mass celebration. During extreme situations, let us adopt extreme measures.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by italo: 9:38am On Aug 10, 2014
I haven't been to mass today but I already know about it because I heard it during the week from a priest.

The sign of peace has never been compulsory anyway.

And communion in the hand is provided for...even practised in other countries.

Also holy water fonts are going out and ladies are encouraged to wear trousers (unofficial) for more protection.
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by nora544: 9:41am On Aug 10, 2014
I know that the catholic church know what they have to do and that woman can wear trouser for protection is good.

We have this also here when we have flu time that we have no hand shake.
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:04am On Aug 10, 2014
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by amakufrancis(m): 11:14am On Aug 10, 2014
blood of God
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by ShirelleBaby: 11:35am On Aug 10, 2014
YES-it is very TRUE...that part was removed today in mass-we moved immediately to LAMB OF GOD. Even if they didn't removed it -i had earlier planned to shake hands with my family alone
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by zexzy(f): 12:12pm On Aug 10, 2014
In Benin my parish priest deliberately omitted d give each other a hand of peace and dis resulted in confusion among the parishoners. they still exchanged handshakes though with almost everyone laughing. Ebola scare is so real
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 10, 2014
ShirelleBaby: YES-it is very TRUE...that part was removed today in mass-we moved immediately to LAMB OF GOD. Even if they didn't removed it -i had earlier planned to shake hands with my family alone
Same here...smiley
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 10, 2014
Lol, are you serious. I like that...
They wanted to do the usual shake 10people today in my church, who answer Pastor kwanu' ...God forgive us o, for disobeying...
But naso we see am.
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 10, 2014
It was announced @ my parish this morning bfr d mass began proper ooo...Prevention is better dan cure.... Folkz stay safe n hv faith in God...
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 10, 2014
Yea it was..

Though the Holy Eucharist wasn't given the normal way. It was placed on their hands and they transferred it themselves to their mouths.
And Op,biko it is 'Sign of Peace' not sign of piece

Reporting from Saint Charles L'wanga Catholic Church,Calabar Archdiocese. Jossi
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by Rufex07(m): 1:49pm On Aug 10, 2014
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by igbokwesampson(m): 2:10pm On Aug 10, 2014
jossi994: Yea it was..
Though the Holy Eucharist wasn't given the normal way. It was placed on their hands and they transferred it themselves to their mouths.
And Op,biko it is 'Sign of Peace' not sign of piece
Reporting from Saint Charles L'wanga Catholic Church,Calabar Archdiocese. Jossi

Thanks dear, you are a true gentleman

1 Like

Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by igbokwesampson(m): 2:12pm On Aug 10, 2014
Rufex07: https://www.nairaland.com/1851309/ebola-bishop-martins-suspends-hand

Lol " the 21st century Solomon" I hail oooooooooooo
Happy sunday and how was mass today
Re: Catholic Faithful: was the " sign of peace" observed today during mass? by Rufex07(m): 2:30pm On Aug 10, 2014
igbokwesampson:

Lol " the 21st century Solomon" I hail oooooooooooo
Happy sunday and how was mass today
grin
I hail o, g papa. same here.

(1) (Reply)

Get 2015/2016 Jamb (utme) 100% Answers, Exam Starting Date, Jamb Special Centers / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 30/11/15 / Church With The Highest Members On Nairaland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.