Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,418 members, 7,826,621 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully (35897 Views)

Lost Jewish Tribe 'found In Zimbabwe/South Africa'- The Real Black Jews / Look At This Jewish Ritual! / If You Had Been Doubting Igbo Peoples Israel Origin- Watch This Video! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Nobody: 6:58am On Aug 10, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I was trying to show that the Gadites were indeed dispersed. You tried to give the impression that the Gadites and other tribes speculated to have birthed the relatives of Igbo-Hebrew were not dispersed. Maybe we confused ourselves with the Assyrian captivity and Babylonian captivity.
Oh no. I never argued against any dispersion. I only disagreed with the fact that the speculators connect their 'dispersion' with the Babylonian Captivity, further proof that they don't know what they are talking about.

May I reiterate that there is no way these ten tribes could have written anything in Aramaic as Prof. Alaezi and co stated?

1 Like

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by bigfrancis21: 7:13am On Aug 10, 2014
Rado, nwa awka rapukene okwu ka anyi kalia ive oso di mkpa. Ngu na nnukwute oyibo I na-agha n'onu oge owuna. grin

Ive e m la-asu bukwa awka... grin
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 10, 2014
LOL. Inwetekwelie. Mana ovbolu obele. grin

bigfrancis21: Rado, nwa awka rapukene rafukene okwu ka anyi kalia ive ozo di du mkpa. Ngu na nnukwute nnekwute oyibo I na-agha n'onu oge owuna kwa mgbe. grin

Ive e m la-asu na-asu bukwa vbukwa awka... grin
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by bigfrancis21: 7:25am On Aug 10, 2014
Radoillo: LOL. Inwetekwelie. Mana ovbolu obele. grin

cheesy

A tabisigo m ile ivbe m na-asu awka... cry

cheesy
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 10, 2014
Ika na-adakwia! grin

bigfrancis21:

cheesy

A tabisigo tabichego m ile ivbe ika m na-asu awka... cry

cheesy

Hehehe!

1 Like

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Nobody: 8:37am On Aug 10, 2014

By Steve Vickers
BBC News, Harare

Pictures: The Lemba & London Proffessor

The Lemba people of Zimbabwe and South Africa may look like their compatriots, but they follow a very different set of customs and traditions. They do not eat pork, they practise male circumcision, they ritually slaughter their animals, some of their men wear skull caps and they put the Star of David on their gravestones.

Their oral traditions claim that their ancestors were Jews who fled the Holy Land about 2,500 years ago.

It may sound like another myth of a lost tribe of Israel, but British scientists have carried out DNA tests which have confirmed their Semitic origin. These tests back up the group's belief that a group of perhaps seven men married African women and settled on the continent.

The Lemba, who number perhaps 80,000, live in central Zimbabwe and the north of South Africa. And they also have a prized religious artefact that they say connects them to their Jewish ancestry -a replica of the Biblical Ark of the Covenant known as the ngoma lungundu, meaning "the drum that thunders". The object went on display recently at a Harare museum to much fanfare, and instilled pride in many of the Lemba.

"For me it's the starting point," says religious singer Fungisai Zvakavapano-Mashavave.
"Very few people knew about us and this is the time to come out. I'm very proud to realise that we have a rich culture and I'm proud to be a Lemba. "We have been a very secretive people, because we believe we are a special people."

Religion vs culture
The Lemba have many customs and regulations that tally with Jewish tradition. They wear skull caps, practise circumcision, which is not a tradition for most Zimbabweans, avoid eating pork and food with animal blood, and have 12 tribes. They slaughter animals in the same way as Jewish people, and they put the Jewish Star of David on their tombstones.

Members of the priestly clan of the Lemba, known as the Buba, were even discovered to have a genetic element also found among the Jewish priestly line.

"This
was amazing," said Prof Tudor Parfitt, from the University of London. "It looks as if the Jewish priesthood continued in the West by people called Cohen, and in same way it was continued by the priestly clan of the Lemba.
"They have a common ancestor who geneticists say lived about 3,000 years ago somewhere in north Arabia, which is the time of Moses and Aaron when the Jewish priesthood started."

Prof Parfitt is a world-renowned expert, having spent 20 years researching the Lemba, and living with them for six months.
The Lemba have a sacred prayer language which is a mixture of Hebrew and Arabic, pointing to their roots in Israel and Yemen.

Despite their ties to Judaism, many of the Lemba in Zimbabwe are Christians, while some are Muslims. "Christianity is my religion, and Judaism is my culture," explains Perez Hamandishe, a pastor and member of parliament from the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC).

Despite their centuries-old traditions, some younger Lemba are taking a more liberal view. "In the old days you didn't marry a non-Lemba, but these days we interact with others," says Alex Makotore, son of the late Chief Mposi from the Lemba "headquarters" in Mberengwa. "I feel special in my heart but not in front of others such that I'm separated from them. Culture is dynamic." Crowds

The oral traditions of the Lemba say that the ngoma lungundu is the Biblical wooden Ark made by Moses, and that centuries ago a small group of men began a long journey carrying it from Yemen to southern Africa. The object went missing during the 1970s and was eventually rediscovered in Harare in 2007 by Prof Parfitt. "Many people say that the story is far-fetched, but the oral traditions of the Lemba have been backed up by science," he says. Carbon dating shows the ngoma to be nearly 700 years old -pretty ancient, if not as old as Bible stories would suggest. But Prof Parfitt says this is because the ngoma was used in battles, and would explode and be rebuilt.
The ngoma now on display was a replica, he says, possibly built from the remains of the original. "So it's the closest descendant of the Ark that we know of," Prof Parfitt says.

Large crowds came to see the unveiling of the ngoma and to attend lectures on the identity of the Lemba. For David Maramwidze, an elder in his village, the discovery of the ngoma has been a defining moment. "Hearing from those professors in Harare and seeing the ngoma makes it clear that we are a great people and I'm very proud," he says. "I heard about it all my life and it was hard for me to believe, because I had no idea of what it really is. "I'm still seeing the picture of the ngoma in my mind and it will never come out from my brain. Now we want it to be given back to the Lemba people."

To hear more about the Lemba people, listen to the BBC World Service African Perspective programme on Saturday 6 March at 0830 GMT.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8550614.stm
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:53am On Aug 10, 2014
This desperate Igbo Jewish link nonsense really irritates me. Others merely laugh at us when we come up with that nonsense. Take pride in your heritage and stop trying to attach yourself to another culture to make yourself feel better. Jewish people don't give a Bleep about you. We have no Jewish DNA links. There is little in our day-to-day culture that bears any resemblance to Jews. We are an African tribe who have dwelt here for several thousand years and we're most likely a much older culture than Jews, who like every other group around he world, have emigrated from this continent at some time in ancient history.

I'm no Jew and I don't care to beJewish and they sure as hell don't care about me being Jewish. Israelis are some of the most racist people on earth. Even Palestinians who are of the same race as them are treated by Israel as animals. Stop this madness about Igbo Jewish links. It makes us a laughing stock.

4 Likes

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by ak47mann(m): 12:14pm On Aug 10, 2014
Obi1kenobi: This desperate Igbo Jewish link nonsense really irritates me. Others merely laugh at us when we come up with that nonsense. Take pride in your heritage and stop trying to attach yourself to another culture to make yourself feel better. Jewish people don't give a Bleep about you. We have no Jewish DNA links. There is little in our day-to-day culture that bears any resemblance to Jews. We are an African tribe who have dwelt here for several thousand years and we're most likely a much older culture than Jews, who like every other group around he world, have emigrated from this continent at some time in ancient history.

I'm no Jew and I don't care to beJewish and they sure as hell don't care about me being Jewish. Israelis are some of the most racist people on earth. Even Palestinians who are of the same race as them are treated by Israel as animals. Stop this madness about Igbo Jewish links. It makes us a laughing stock.
do u need to use igbo monika to make your jealousy comments? cool
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by macof(m): 2:10pm On Aug 10, 2014
chulla12: That the Yorubas claim ties to Saudi Arabia
(i.e. Mecca) and other parts of the semitic
world is also not met with derision or claims
of "identity issues."
Because a drunk so called historian wrote in a book that Yoruba share ties with Mecca doesnt make it true.
this is only considered among Muslim youths who know nothing about Yoruba
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 10, 2014
macof:
Because a drunk so called historian wrote in a book that Yoruba share ties with Mecca doesnt make it true.
this is only considered among Muslim youths who know nothing about Yoruba

Actually this claim is more mainstream than you think.

I was taught this exact history in secondary school: Lamurudu was driven away from Mecca because he refused to accept islam. He alongside his followers journeyed to where Nigeria is, where his son, Oduduwa, took the helm in Ife.

2 Likes

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Ojiofor: 3:56pm On Aug 10, 2014
[quote author=Radoillo]

This takes me back to my earlier position. Why are there no material remains? Why all the inconsistencies in the 'facts' presented by Alaezi and co?

Abia/Imo is also roped in in this Hebrew thing. Arodi, son of Gad (or is it Eri?) is said to be the ancestor of the Aro people. grin

DNA evidence, or the whole thing is hogwash.[/ quote] Umu Eri should make themselves available for DNA text and stop dragging the rest of Igbo nation into their pathetic Jewish origin claim. This is simply long throatism from the clan of umueri. the other day their Igwe claimed that Eri son of Gad came to their present location in Igbo land from Egypt by SEA and they found themselves at the bank of omabala river. Now that is ridiculous and pathetic I swear. Now which of the Egyptian sea did he travel on to get to alaigbo,is it the Mediterranean Sea or the red sea that brought Eri and company to banks of omabala river?

2 Likes

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 10, 2014
This bobo woun blow pesin-mind....'Incoherent writings!'
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:03am On Aug 11, 2014
ak47mann: do u need to use igbo monika to make your jealousy comments? cool
I'm a hardcore, pure Anambrarian from Idemili North and my mum is from nearby Agulu in Anaocha and I was born and partly grew up in Independence Layout in Enugu and I studied at UNN. If you don't believe me, that's your problem. Stop the desperate links of Igbos and Jews. It only reflects the inferiority complex of many of you that think making yourself out as Jewish gives you some kind of nonsense superiority over other tribes. Igbos are a pure Negroid race with no atom of genetic links with Jews. Some African groups in places like Ethiopia have confirmed Jewish links and everything from their family of languages to their physical appearance to their geographic location to accurate verifiable historical records show this. Igbos are no different from any of the tribes around them in the Nigerian south. We speak the same family of Bantu languages as our neighbours. Everything in our pre-colonial status from our cuisine to our religion to our dressing to our technology reflects a people with far less contact with the rest of the world than other tribes around us - not people who migrated from great Middle-Eastern civilizations to Africa. Stop deceiving yourselves with wack theories about Igbo Jewish origins by quack historians. In serious academic circles, you'll be laughed off.

Travel to Israel and go and settle there while claiming your Jewish blood. Leave the rest of us alone and stop trying to force these lies on us. I don't care about being Jewish and I know my ancestors were never Jewish. They were conc. West African men.

3 Likes

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by ak47mann(m): 8:03am On Aug 11, 2014
Obi1kenobi:
I'm a hardcore, pure Anambrarian from Idemili North and my mum is from nearby Agulu in Anaocha and I was born and partly grew up in Independence Layout in Enugu and I studied at UNN. If you don't believe me, that's your problem. Stop the desperate links of Igbos and Jews. It only reflects the inferiority complex of many of you that think making yourself out as Jewish gives you some kind of nonsense superiority over other tribes. Igbos are a pure Negroid race with no atom of genetic links with Jews. Some African groups in places like Ethiopia have confirmed Jewish links and everything from their family of languages to their physical appearance to their geographic location to accurate verifiable historical records show this. Igbos are no different from any of the tribes around them in the Nigerian south. We speak the same family of Bantu languages as our neighbours. Everything in our pre-colonial status from our cuisine to our religion to our dressing to our technology reflects a people with far less contact with the rest of the world than other tribes around us - not people who migrated from great Middle-Eastern civilizations to Africa. Stop deceiving yourselves with wack theories about Igbo Jewish origins by quack historians. In serious academic circles, you'll be laughed off.

Travel to Israel and go and settle there while claiming your Jewish blood. Leave the rest of us alone and stop trying to force these lies on us. I don't care about being Jewish and I know my ancestors were never Jewish. They were conc. West African men.
yeah i know anybody can claim what ever just to make a point that does not hold water cool
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by macof(m): 4:12pm On Aug 11, 2014
chulla12:

Actually this claim is more mainstream than you think.

I was taught this exact history in secondary school: Lamurudu was driven away from Mecca because he refused to accept islam. He alongside his followers journeyed to where Nigeria is, where his son, Oduduwa, took the helm in Ife.
Really?? I never had such lessons in school.
Well then again Nigerian government has no agenda for history
Lamurudu doesn't exist in Yoruba history, all I've seen on that name are silly internet articles
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Nobody: 6:24pm On Aug 11, 2014
macof:
Really?? I never had such lessons in school.
Well then again Nigerian government has no agenda for history
Lamurudu doesn't exist in Yoruba history, all I've seen on that name are silly internet articles

Lol..seriously this is what we were taught. I recall that exact day in class (jss 1), they selected students to dramatise the story as part of the lecture and I played lamurudu's wife. grin Fun times though.
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:40pm On Aug 11, 2014
bigfrancis21:

The Igbo traditional religion in its purest form has been discovered to share so many similarities to the hebrew tradition of the bible. As far back as 1735, Olaudah Equiano, who experienced firsthand the purest of Igbo traditions before the coming of christianity remarked in his book the striking similarities of his peoples' customs to the hebrew customs he read in his bible during his intorduction to christianity by his slave master. This is as far back as 1730s.

Show me examples of these similarities between Odinani and Hebrew Tradition of the bible?
Do you even know or have any knowledge of Odinani?

I am of the belief that not all ancient hebrews were light-skinned. Some were brown-skinned. Egypt in Africa was featured greatly in the biblical times of the hebrews and the ancient egyptians were 'kemet' or 'black'. Biblical evidence suggests Jesus Christ might have been black. The bible describes Jesus hair as wooly and his skin color as the colour of bronze. We all know that black people have wooly hair and white wavy hair, and the color of bronze is brown, not pink or white. When Jesus was 2 years and pharoah ordered him to be sought out and killed, Joesph, his father, was asked to carry Jesus to faraway Egypt all the way in Africa and not in nearby Lebanon, Jordan, or Arabia(containing light-skinned people. Ever asked yourself why this was so? Why would Jesus be asked to be taken to a black country to hide if he wasn't, at least, brown himself? If one is hiding from predators and he wishes to be invincible, does he go to hide in the midst of people entirely different from him? Wouldn't he go to a place where everyone is of the same skin color as him to hide peacefully? Does a white man go to the midst of black people to hide if he wasn't black himself?

That is bullshyt. you never even existed back then. I personally believe that the Hebrews were the colour of modern day Palestinians, Lebanese ,etc., and other Mediterannean peoples, ranging from white-skinned to tanned-brown/red.
Please dont talk without any knowledge. black people are not the only people with wooly hair. Lebanese , palestinians,etc., also have curly /wooly hair. I know people personally with very curly hair from these regions. Mediterraneans generally have wooly hair.

Egypt is not far-away. stop exaggerating. Before the construction of the Suez Canal. Egypt was joined to Palestine. Gaza is on the Egyptian border. That is how they send supplies to and fro. Infact, Lebanon, Jordan,etc., was under Roman rule so it would be unwise to send jesus there. Use your common sense.

and Egyptians in 0 AD were not black. what rubbish.
There were Nubian populations scattered near the Nile but Egyptians themselves were not black.

and anyways, people were not racists back then like today. Skin colour was not an issue in those days.

Taking a look at the hebrews of biblical times, they were known to be idol worshippers, often carving wooden images for themselves and bowing to graven images. During the time of Moses, one issue he constantly battled with with the ancient Hebrews was the fact that they bowed down to wooden images. Now, which race has it been recorded extensively since time immemorial to be idol worshippers? Where has it been recorded in the annals of history that whites carved wooden images and bowed to them? Ancient whites were recorded to be cavemen, hiding and living in caves, resisting extreme cold weathers, creating fires by striking 2 stones together, and sitting around fires to keep warm. For example, the inuits and the eskimos.

CHRISTIAN IGNORANCE AT ITS PEAK! angry

The Whole world worshiped GODS through idols back then! ([size=16pt]NO ONE WORSHIPS IDOLS[/size])

WHat are you talking about? There was no such thing as whitemen back then. West Europe had different Ethnic groups and Tribes back then like the Celts, Picts, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Norsemen (VIkings), Britons, Franks, Goths, Visigoths,etc.

Each of these Ethnic Groups had their own Traditional Religion and THEY ALL worshiped GODS through idols.

These Ethnic Groups were not cavemen ok! They had their own forms of Tribal Governments , Kingdoms and Settlements.

From Japan, to Arabia, to the African Continent. Everyone worshiped the Gods.

so your comparision is trashy, amateur and bullshyt.

The branching stock into modern-day Igboland, if actually true, may have met some people already living in the area and intermarried with them. If the branching stock were actually lightskinned, and seeing that genetically it takes only 3 generations to turn a white man into a black man, several generations after generations of intermixing absorbed their light-skinned color into the prevailing brown color. This may also explain why the Igbo tribe, hundreds of decades later, has and produces the highest population of light-skinned people amongst the tribes of west africa. In London 3 years ago, 2 entirely different sets of Igbo couples gave birth to babies with 'caucasoid features'. A rare genetic phenomenon that occurs when two people of recessive genes combine to produce progeny with the recessive gene. Such phenomenon would not occur if the parents had not, at least, some degree of the causative genes in them. Mind you, these babies were not albinoes. Skin tests done on them proved that they were not albinoes and were biologically the children of both parents. Doctors were baffled as to how such phenomenon happened. This phenomenon has not been reported amongst any purely black couple of all the black tribes in Africa. A gentle reminder of a longtime absorption of light-skinned genes into the Igbo gene pool, and if true, lends credence to the Igbo-Hebrew theory. https://www.nairaland.com/1073120/nigerian-igbos-white-children

I dont believe this. You just said Hebrews were blacks and black jesus and all that. Now suddenly you are reversing and saying that they are Whites and Igbos have Caucasian features? *smdh

On the other hand, the branching stock may have been brown-skinned, easily adapting into the already existing population and multiplying. If you doubt the existence of black Jews, maybe you should read up about the Ethiopian black Jews.

First of all Igbos have no relation to Ethiopians.

Second, there is a possibility of jewish settlement in Ethiopia since it is not just close to Arabia. (So close infact that muhammad even migrated there to seek refuge from the Pagan Quraysh), but Ethiopia also has a long history tied to Yemen, the conquering of Sabaá(Sheba) ,etc.

HOWEVER..

A 1999 study by Lucotte and Smets studied the DNA of 38 unrelated Beta Israel males living in Israel and 104 Ethiopians living in regions located north of Addis Ababa. It concluded that "the distinctiveness of the Y-chromosome haplotype distribution of the Beta-Israel from conventional Jewish populations and their relatively greater similarity in haplotype profile to non-Jewish Ethiopians are consistent with the view that the Beta Israel people descended from ancient inhabitants of Ethiopia and not the Levant." This study confirmed the findings of a 1991 study by Zoossmann-Disken et al. Similarly, a 2000 study by Hammer et al. of Y-chromosome biallelic haplotypes of Jewish and non-Jewish groups suggested that "paternal gene pools of Jewish communities from Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East descended from a common Middle Eastern ancestral population", with the exception of the Beta Israel, who were "affiliated more closely with non–Beta Israel Ethiopians and other East Africans". A 2004 study by Shen et al. reached similar conclusions, that the Beta Israel were likely descended from local Ethiopian populations.

The possibilities: Ethiopian Jews might be: (1) converted Ethiopian Pagan Agaws, (2) Jewish immigrants who intermarried with Agaws, (3) immigrant Yemeni Arabs who had converted to Judaism, (4) immigrant Yemeni Jews, (5) Jews from Egypt, and/or (6) successive waves of Yemeni Jews.

Again, we cant be sure. but it has no bearing on the Igbo case.

In far away Zimbabwe, a tribe called the Lemba were recorded to have similar customs to the hebrews. Recently, genetic testing conducted confirmed the long-held belief and similar traditions. Mind you, Zimbabwe is much further away from Israel than is Igboland. If some wandering Hebrews could have wandered as far south as Zimbabwe, what prevents some migratory group from reaching nearby south east Nigeria?

Please mention the supposed groups in the world with similarities to the Igbo. I am waiting.

i personally am not too convinced with the Lemba story. Before they converted to christianity as they are today, they didnt practice judaism. their customs are mostly in sync with neighbouring tribal custom.

Also they say they migrated from Sena. Sena is infact a place on the Zambezi River. However, jew-bootlickers like you must have mistranslated it to Sanáa in Yemen. *smh

1 Like

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:47pm On Aug 11, 2014
Radoillo: It was a little different for the Lembas, admittedly. But even then, they had very strong traditions of Jewish ancestry, that predate any contacts with the outside world. The earliest Europeans were told by the illiterate Lembas about how they had come from 'Sana'a' somewhere in Arabia, bearing with them the Ark of the Covenant. Sana'a had a large Jewish community in the early to late Middle Ages.

The Lemba said they migrated from Sena. Sena is infact a place on the Zambezi River. However, jew-bootlickers have mistranslated it to Sanáa in Yemen.

Also they never said they carried any Ark of Covenant bullshyt. THe Lemba said they brought with them the Sacred Drum or Ngoma Lungundu.

Again some bible-torah thumpers must have force-fed into their minds that it is the Ark of the Covenant.

1 Like

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 11, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

The Lemba said they migrated from Sena. Sena is infact a place on the Zambezi River. However, jew-bootlickers have mistranslated it to Sanáa in Yemen.

Also they never said they carried any Ark of Covenant bullshyt. THe Lemba said they brought with them the Sacred Drum or Ngoma Lungundu.

Again some bible-torah thumpers must have force-fed into their minds that it is the Ark of the Covenant.

*shrug* Well, like you, I would have written off the 'claims' as crap, but now there is genetics to show that the nucleus of the Lemba was a handful (less than 10) of men of Middle Eastern origin who interbred with women of Shona ethnic background. I don't think (like you seem to do) that the DNA results were fabricated by Judeo-Christian conspirators. The research was done by intellectuals from reputable institutions. I'll look for a link and post it.

The story isn't far-fetched, besides. Middle-Eastern, and even Indian traders, traded up and down the coast of Eastern and Southern Africa, and even (through middle men) with Zimbabwe in the interior. There's nothing out of the ordinary about some of these traders fatherng children with native African women.
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Ihuomadinihu: 9:12am On Aug 23, 2014
manchy7531: The Ibo Benei Yisrael Jews of Nigeria

The Ibo Benei-Yisrael of Nigeria, sometimes addressed as "Igbo," are an Ibo ethnic group whom descended from the southern and westward migrations of both ancient Hebrew and later Israeli peoples from the Middle East into Africa. In more modern times the ancestral homeland of the Ibo Benei-Yisrael is in the Southeast and Western regions of Nigeria. The area where a majority of Ibo dwells straddles the River Niger, which divides the River and the Anambra States. Nigeria operates on a federal structure, of 36 states and the capital Abuja. The overall Igbo populations are normally found in the states of: Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, Rivers State, Delta State, and Imo.

The oral traditions of the Igbo maintain that their presence has been in what is termed "Igboland" for over 1500 years. The same oral histories also state that their ancestors were migrants from ancient Israel, possibly beginning with the Semitic migrations from Northern Arabia into Eastern Africa around 500 BCE.

According to the Torah (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy) the Israeli patriarch Ya`aqov ben-Yitzhhaq (Jacob son of Isaac), had twelve sons whose descendents became the 12 tribes of Israel whom inherited the land of Canaan. There are several tribes of Israel, which according to The information in this document is copy written by the Ibo Benei-Yisrael Association ª February 16, 2003 various elders fathered the Igbo clan structure within the Ibo populace as it exists today. These Ibo ethnic groups are comprised of the following 3 lineage types:

• Benei Gath: Igbos said to have descended from tribe of Gath ben-Ya`aqov, who was the 8th son of the Israeli patriarch Ya`aqov (Jacob).[1] This lineage is traced though Gath's son Eri ben-Gath. [2]The clans said to come from this lineage comprise of the Aguleri, Umuleri, Oreri, Enugwu Ikwu, Ogbunike, Awkuzu, Nteje, and Igbariam.

•Benei Zevulun: Igbos said to have descended from the tribe of Zevulun ben-Ya`aqov, who was the 5th son of Ya`aqov (Jacob).[3]This lineage comprises of the Ubulu Okiti, Ubulu Ukwu, in Delta State,who settled in Ubulu Ihejiofor. According to tradition, it is said that a descendent of the tribe of Zevulun named Zevulunu, on the advice of an certain Levite, married a woman from Oji, whom descended from the tribe of Judah, and from this union was born Ozubulu ben-Zebulunu. It is said that Ozubulu then went on to have 4 sons of his own who settled into other parts of the region.These sons being: Amakwa, from whom a clan in Neni, Anambra State descended, and Egbema, from whom the Egbema Ugwuta clan in Imo State and the Ohaji Egbema clan in Rivers State descended.

•Benei Menashsheh: Igbos whom it is theorized may be descendents of the tribe of Meneshsheh ben-Yoseph, who was one of the grandsons of Ya`aqov (Jacob) through his 11th son Yoseph (Joseph). [4] According to the Torah Jacob claimed both Menashsheh and his brother Ephrayim as his own sons. [5] It theorized by some that this is the possible lineage of the Amichi, Ichi, Nnewi-Ichi clans.

It is also more than possible that certain Ibo Benei-Yisrael families may be descendents of Levitical (Levite Priests) migrants from Jerban, Tunisia whom were said to have left Judah and settled in North Africa before and after the destruction of the 1st and 2nd Temples in Jerusalem.[6] The most likely scenario is that the ancestors of the Ibo Benei-Yisrael were made up of familiar clans of Israelis and Judaens whom, for various reasons, left Israel before and during the Assyrian and Babylonian sieges.This would explain how their oral tradition contains the specific tribes these clans originated from.

The only stuff i can understand from this write up,is that most igbos don't have a Jewish-Isreali connection esp.those in Abia,Imo and Ebonyi states. Therefore this Jewish link/connection should be restricted to a portion of igbo people cos most of us are just IGBO people.

1 Like

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Ihuomadinihu: 9:21am On Aug 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Both groups may be related and may have dispersed thousands of years ago during the expulsion of the Hebrews from their homeland during the invasion of the babylonians before the time of Christ. One particular stock branched westwards towards Igboland to establish residency there.
Yes! Very possible. That is not to say that all modern igbos are from Isreal.
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by chykodim: 11:58pm On Nov 26, 2014
I wonder why people in this country are inept, despite the emergence of christianity and education, one does not need to be told that ibo is the ancestral name of the israelis, ibo is taken from the word eber read your bible about eber the son of peleg and of shem from whom abraham descended from, his name is pronounced ebru, ebo, ikpo, and ibeh based on dialectically shift note, ask the israelis how they pronounce their words and names. Pls ppl should research on aba ben ibo of the babylonian talmud of fame, is it by accident that he came to be called aba arika or aba the tall rabb? What is ariri-ka in the first place? one who is tallest, in the first place in the ibo language? it means onye etoro ogologo, or a tall person. Nigeria was Nok and nigeria was a land of the ebony and ivory of fame where the hebrews came to source for ivory from elephants, they also came to the ivory coast and cameroun due to the abundance of elephants in that region the african dwarf elephants which were easier to trap and capture and cull better than their gigantic east african variety since west africa was deeply forested. Who taught the africans how to work copper and bronze including brass works? Nubians cush and the galla were only known for iron smithing and gold smithing note note copper making. is it not the israelis? or are we suffering from mental block? Ebony is the dysporus crassiflora which was highly priced in the ancient world and used extensively for ornate furniture work, they also exploited other trees for their hardwood which were found extensively in Nigeria and other parts of west africa as well, they eventually settled in these lands, married nubian and nok wives who brought with them these creole corruption of the hebrew words and started pronouncing words incorrectly, and carved a unique identity of their own which they call today as betunya ibo note, or the other half of ibo, they also call themselves al-ibbo
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by cheruv: 8:16am On Nov 27, 2014
bigfrancis21:
Olaudah Equiano, more properly spelt natively in Igbo as 'Olauda Ikwuano'.
the guys family has been discovered and his name is

OLAUDA EKWEALUO

he's from isieke in Anambra state of Nigeria
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by bigfrancis21: 11:24pm On Nov 27, 2014
cheruv:

the guys family has been discovered and his name is

OLAUDA EKWEALUO

he's from isieke in Anambra state of Nigeria

Isseke, actually, in Ihiala LGA Anambra state. I came up with his last name spelling by following Olaudah's spelling convention in his book. However, Late Mrs Acholonu's research says it is Ekwealuo, which might have been Ekweanuo (more following native Anambra 'L'/'N' pronunciations) in the past before the introduction of central Igbo.
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by wilses: 9:22pm On Jan 18, 2015
rlfg

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by macof(m): 11:04pm On Jan 18, 2015
^^^ More bullshiit from madmen
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jan 18, 2015
Igbo ndi karaja akaja.

More headache for Yoruba people
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by bigfrancis21: 1:31am On Jan 19, 2015
Any article suggesting Hebrew-Igbo connections draws unnecessary attention and 'shut-down attempts' from outsiders, yet the very same attempts to other tribes seem more 'deserving' of consideration.
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by macof(m): 6:39pm On Jan 19, 2015
quid:
Igbo ndi karaja akaja.

More headache for Yoruba people
bigfrancis21:
Any article suggesting Hebrew-Igbo connections draws unnecessary attention and 'shut-down attempts' from outsiders, yet the very same attempts to other tribes seem more 'deserving' of consideration.

How? This isn't about Yoruba but Africa

West Africans especially from the Volta - Niger are bond in history, so as an African history enthusiast, it's my business to defend African history nd attack madmen's claim borne out of inferiority complex and sentiments towards the people who gave them their religion

If you follow my posts at all, you would see I always defend my Yoruba history more than anything. There are many fools on here who claim Hebrew ancestry for Yoruba and I have always proved them the fool they are
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by wilses: 2:48pm On Jan 31, 2015
macof:
^^^ More bullshiit from madmen

Then tell us what you know. show us sanity.
Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by 2prexios: 4:02pm On Jan 31, 2015
wilses:

Then tell us what you know. show us sanity.
Classic: the greatest madness that defies psychatric scope is to prove nothing, condemn others for their intellectual exercise at proving their observations and assume to be the proof of everything, and finally to label others 'fools' for believing things outside your context. I don't know of classic example of 'grandiose delusion' than this. Father Of Nations, Proof Of Eternity, tell us the story you are defending: we need to know. This will help us to start thinking the way you want so as not to have a clash of ideas.

1 Like

Re: For Those Still Doubting Igbo jewish link read Carefully by macof(m): 6:55pm On Jan 31, 2015
2prexios:
Classic: the greatest madness that defies psychatric scope is to prove nothing, condemn others for their intellectual exercise at proving their observations and assume to be the proof of everything, and finally to label others 'fools' for believing things outside your context. I don't know of classic example of 'grandiose delusion' than this. Father Of Nations, Proof Of Eternity, tell us the story you are defending: we need to know. This will help us to start thinking the way you want so as not to have a clash of ideas.

cheesy grin am sure you know by now that you can't distort Yoruba history. Maybe Igbo is ur new life's worth but as to ur Yoruba-Hebrew claim
I have challenged you to prove it, history is not written by claims nd acclaimed intuition, it's by facts nd proof. You are yet to provide proof to shut me up for good

So by ur own words in bold you know what you are cheesy wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos From Princess Adesola's 45th Birthday Celebration / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Wears Igwe Attire (Photos) / Emir Sanusi Celebrates His Daughter, Maryam On Her Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.