Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,568 members, 7,837,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Dual-Booting Ubuntu on My Android Device - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Dual-Booting Ubuntu on My Android Device (810 Views)

Dual Booting Android 5.0/windows 10 Smartphone (neowin) By Elephone! / MTN Android Device Now Available? / Nokia Phone Dual Booting Android And WP8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dual-Booting Ubuntu on My Android Device by jerricho(m): 3:55pm On Aug 09, 2014
It hurts me that the Ubuntu Dual Boot app—for running Ubuntu and Android side by side—isn't completely compatible with mine.

Being the terrible tinkerer that I am, I tried out Ubuntu on my rooted Samsung Galaxy S II T-Mobile (running Android 4.4.2), and almost ruined it.

I always thought that Ubuntu was built on Android and that Android apps will most definitely run on it. I was dead wrong.

I also achingly realized that the Ubuntu OS uses HTML5 for firing up its actual applications. It's not horribly hard to play around with. And it's not exactly easy either. But it's effective enough to drive me stark staring mad.

Technically, after a clean Ubuntu install, I opened the Ubuntu Dual Boot app and tapped "Reboot to Ubuntu". My device stylishly and rapidly restarted into Ubuntu without any fuss. I smiled sheepishly. Foliage changing color. Winter changed to spring in an instant. Really, it was worth seeing just for the elaborate scenery. Needed a change of scenery.

However, when I first ran an application—Twitter specifically—on the Ubuntu platform (it might interest you to know that the Ubuntu Twitter "app" is literally just the regular Twitter mobile site), it prompted me, or rather tricked me, to install an Android app—the official Twitter for Android app. I wish I didn't do that.

Phone froze for five minutes or thereabouts, heated up to boiling point precisely. Next thing you know, there's thunder crashing overhead so I tried switching back to Android but it sucked down to the hellish vortex of boot loops.

I rashly resorted to holding down my power button for about ten seconds so as to execute a hard reset, but to no avail.

Luckily, I was finally able to reboot into recovery for full wiping.

Once I had booted back into Android, I ultimately uninstalled the Ubuntu Dual Boot app which wasn't wiped in recovery for some strange reason.

Phew! What a long day it's been! Can't tell you how happy I am now that I no longer have Ubuntu running on my phone!

Evidently, my monster Samsung Hercules is neither an officially nor unofficially supported Android device.

Sadly, only Google phones and tablets are actively supported Android devices. Specifically: the Nexus 4, the 2013 Nexus 7, and the Nexus 10. Just these three Nexuses are official.

So, basically, you can try out Ubuntu without ruining your phone—assuming your phone is a recent Nexus device.

I'm somewhat surprised the Nexus 5 isn't included; considering it's also a recent Nexus device. And it'd probably be easiest to dual boot with (in my own opinion). Perhaps it's still on the list of unofficially supported devices. The unofficial list is inaccessible at the time of this typing. Link's been broken.

Essentially, the Google Nexus 5 has to be the greatest Nexus to date—even though I haven't the vaguest idea why it's jolly cheaper than previous Nexii.

Nonetheless, has anyone here tried to dual boot Ubuntu on Android? Any Android device at all?

Phew! It's hot in here.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sharing A Blackberry Data With An Android Phone / MTN: How To Cancel BIS Plan To Register An New One. / How To Download Temple Run For Touchscreen Nokia Asha Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.