Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,157 members, 7,835,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? (12598 Views)

Youth Employment In Agriculture Programme (YEAP) / BECOME MILLIONAIRES THROUGH EDIBLE MUSHROOM CULTIVATION AND SPAWN PRODUCTION / Jonathan Launches Youth Employment In Agriculture Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 9:17am On Aug 11, 2014
neyur:
so chemistry,physcis,biology,biochem,are not wide

They are wide but not as wide as agriculture...
Here's a simple breakdown of how some agric courses look like..so you know the field is a no joker..

Soil Chemistry
Soil Physics
Soil Biology
Soil Microbiology
Soil Biochemisrty...
Replace soil with animal and Plant and get more and more workload.... Dependin' on the your field of study..

1 Like

Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by neyur: 9:20am On Aug 11, 2014
greatestman:

At the bolded if that is how they teach in faculty of Agricultural Science, that means you need an extra year making it Six years to add many courses in your General studies Unit and English department.

NB: Nobody is perfect but please OP try as much as possible to eliminate shorthand in your spellings.

If oyibo dey read this you write up e no go understand and him go they abuse our system of education.

lol....i don die today
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by PassingShot(m): 9:22am On Aug 11, 2014
neyur:
hmmmm....i never knew nigeria has gotten another soyinka,stil uner d struggle of making himself or herself known. So you think you have gotten all what it takes to be called an english student??...alright put up an article and publicise it so that people may applaude you.

Sorry brother. Like I said, I didn't want to pick on your English but when you said nothing was wrong with it.

So you find it too difficult to take corrections and move on? Change your attitude brother.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by fyxboss(m): 9:33am On Aug 11, 2014
I'm a final yr agric economics student.... I hated ma course but now i love it... Those oda fields are addition
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by neyur: 9:38am On Aug 11, 2014
PassingShot:

Sorry brother. Like I said, I didn't want to pick on your English but when you said nothing was wrong with it.

So you find it too difficult to take corrections and move on? Change your attitude brother.
may be you are too intuitive in your own sense of reasoning,i believe you saw my written apology and my heart of greatfulness.but i felt perplex when i saw your post pointing on my mistakes. You dont know it all brother,even the english you have claimed to be superior you are nothing....if i do have a bad attitude towards learning,i should have bounce back in the first place.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by Tayeni(m): 9:43am On Aug 11, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

I do not concur with your assertion.... I'm a graduate of the University you mentioned and I believe the duration of study should be extended to 'bout 6 years if not more...
The real problem with the system is most students do not apply to study an agric based course, they are randomly thrown into agricultural departments should they not meet the required grades for the course they've chosen...alas most of em' don't take studyin' serious...'...
i dont agree with you too. i agree that most schools treat their agic faculty as the dumping ground for the "runts of the litter", which still points to the fact that most schools dont pay attention to the quality of education they dish out from these departments.....why should a school purchase state of the art lab equipment for d least important faculty at the expense of the "prestigious" ones.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by PassingShot(m): 9:46am On Aug 11, 2014
neyur:
may be you are too intuitive in your own sense of reasoning,i believe you saw my written apology and my heart of greatfulness.but i felt perplex when i saw your post pointing on my mistakes. You dont know it all brother,even the english you have claimed to be superior you are nothing....if i do have a bad attitude towards learning,i should have bounce back in the first place.

I've not claimed in anywhere in my post to be superior.
And if you saw my post after your "apology", why should you feel perplexed? After all my post did not make a jest of your English.

Go back and see my first post on this topic and you will notice that it was not about your English. I only commented about your grammar when you said nothing was wrong with it in your reply to someone who was trying to correct you.

It's one thing to want to learn and it's another thing to be ready to accept corrections. Peace out.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by chinkichun: 9:48am On Aug 11, 2014
neyur: Have'nt been through ds discipline for complete five years,i came 2 realised agriculture does not worth d five years programm...supose d courses under d faculty of agriculture ar splitted just like everyother courses in science zone i tink d work load will b reduce n does 1 will not end up been jack of trade n master of none...imgine wen u said ur studying science..it asumed u r studying physcis,chemistry,biology,mathematics,geography n the agriculture itself...bt dis is not so, cuz every course were split n thus ds reduce d work load on d student under ds faculty....so if thesame method is applied 2 agriculture,i tink d students will also find it more easier n intresting in d field...imagine u studying agriculture,along side u will b given many course with subordinate like soil science,animal science,crop science,fishery forestry and many other which i cld not mentioned.all ds ar time consuming...in view of these ar xpress ma opinion, i wouldnt know if agreed or disagreed with my story....bt let hear from you,did u tink d five years programme worth it or not

I don't know the school in which you're studying "agriculture" but I studied agriculture economics and in my school (Uniben), agriculture is divided into 6 distinct departments. So I don't agree with you that one becomes a "jack of all trade and master of none". Also, to be sincere, I think agriculture is worth the 5 years because one whole year (400 level) is used for practicals.
I know you'd want to say other science courses are 4 years but they still do practicals. Fact is you can't compare practicals in the lab to that in the "field"
I must confess, it gets boring but in the end, I think it's worth it.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by Tayeni(m): 9:53am On Aug 11, 2014
neyur:
neyur......uou are the one drawing attention to yourself now....those bashing your writing skill had already backed out....why did you have to go dig them up again. abeg accept their corrections and criticism in good faith and move on.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 11, 2014
chinkichun:

I don't know the school in which you're studying "agriculture" but I studied agriculture economics and in my school (Uniben), agriculture is divided into 6 distinct departments. So I don't agree with you that one becomes a "jack of all trade and master of none". Also, to be sincere, I think agriculture is worth the 5 years because one whole year (400 level) is used for practicals.
I know you'd want to say other science courses are 4 years but they still do practicals. Fact is you can't compare practicals in the lab to that in the "field"
I must confess, it gets boring but in the end, I think it's worth it.
i agree with you because it's divided into 8 departments in FUTA which are; animal production & health, crop,soil & pest management, food science & technology, fisheries & aquaculture, forest & wood technology, ecotourism & widlife management, agricultural & resource economics, and the last one is agricultural extension & communication technology.
So OP, it depends on the school you are

1 Like

Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by neyur: 10:03am On Aug 11, 2014
balispecial: i agree with you because it's divided into 8 departments in FUTA which are; animal production & health, crop,soil & pest management, food science & technology, fisheries & aquaculture, forest & wood technology, ecotourism & widlife management, agricultural & resource economics, and the last one is agricultural extension & communication technology.
So OP, it depends on the school you are
agreed.....
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by neyur: 10:05am On Aug 11, 2014
Tayeni: neyur......uou are the one drawing attention to yourself now....those bashing your writing skill had already backed out....why did you have to go dig them up again. abeg accept their corrections and criticism in good faith and move on.
noted
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by neyur: 10:24am On Aug 11, 2014
PassingShot:

I've not claimed in anywhere in my post to be superior.
And if you saw my post after your "apology", why should you feel perplexed? After all my post did not make a jest of your English.

Go back and see my first post on this topic and you will notice that it was not about your English. I only commented about your grammar when you said nothing was wrong with it in your reply to someone who was trying to correct you.

It's one thing to want to learn and it's another thing to be ready to accept corrections. Peace out.
apology once again,i think i have taken it too personal with you.thank you friend for taking out your time to read,correct and contribute to my post....how you doing

1 Like

Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by osca234: 10:40am On Aug 11, 2014
Bigcake: My guy please work on your grammatical errors and punctuation.

CAN YOU POINT THEM OUT FOR ME PLS?
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by PassingShot(m): 10:53am On Aug 11, 2014
neyur:
apology once again,i think i have taken it too personal with you.thank you friend for taking out your time to read,correct and contribute to my post....how you doing

No qualms. Take care.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by doctuw(m): 10:59am On Aug 11, 2014
neyur: @oscar,nothing is wrong with ma english,i just had an incomplete sentence in ma last paragraph.fank 4 ur concern though. U ar absolutely correct with ur sugesstion.happy sunday
a lot is wrong with your English. In case you don't know, you are a complete disgrace to that B. Agric
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by Mendo007(m): 11:06am On Aug 11, 2014
xp17: op, do you think coconut tree is worth waiting, for more than 5 years to be ready for harvest.

agriculture has taken a technological phase. this is not planting and harvesting era and Nigerian farmers need to advance in horticulture .

other countries are busy producing seedless foods and advancing their ways of preservation, you are talking thrash. the last I checked , a Nigerian farmer is yet to know how possible you can grow an Orange , water Mellon, grape , etc seedless .

to me, the time ain't to long, our area of concern should be the study guide instead.
MUMU
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by doctuw(m): 11:18am On Aug 11, 2014
neyur: Alright...i appreciate your contributions and corrections. I was in haste to put up these written and i felt very lazy to cross check d write up and make some ammendment before posting.....in my shorthands,i think have been used with it.but i will summon my conscient to it henceforth.......thank you.
@OP: you are just a complete definition of a poor graduate. Regardless of whatever your CGPA might be. Please work on your grammar. They are not even logical enough for someone with that qualification. Grammar is zero, spelling is even worse. I fear for my country.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by neyur: 11:30am On Aug 11, 2014
doctuw:
a lot is wrong with your English. In case you don't know, you are a complete disgrace to that B. Agric
i guest you have brain tumour,if not you wouldnt have quoted my write up and regard yourself a disgrace 2 ur qualification......bros abeg just post an article if u think you are sure of yourself.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by neyur: 11:43am On Aug 11, 2014
doctuw:
@OP: you are just a complete definition of a poor graduate. Regardless of whatever your CGPA might be. Please work on your grammar. They are not even logical enough for someone with that qualification. Grammar is zero, spelling is even worse. I fear for my country.
alright dude, i know you want to create an awearnes that you were here. Have seen you! Can you now find something to do with your day instead bussy checking on one's spellings and grammers?
If you are sure of yourself,you can as well put a write-up in other and post it as have done.......dorosabi
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by austonclint(m): 11:48am On Aug 11, 2014
hmmmmmm
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by juanmiguel: 12:09pm On Aug 11, 2014
missterious:

Wow, that's nice. smiley Which school did you graduate from?
Imo State University Owerri.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by ibrahimbabagana: 1:28pm On Aug 11, 2014
agric economics embarassed
now in MOBIL as a software develope
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by Bolaji21(m): 2:30pm On Aug 11, 2014
ibrahimbabagana: agric economics embarassed
now in MOBIL as a software develope

like seriously
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by chuggy(m): 2:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
Agricultural courses are really wide as compared to most Science courses, that's a true FACT, buh criously it can't be worse than Agric. Engineering in terms of wide coverage of courses, because an Agric Engr'n Student still offers the Agric courses & also implements ENGINEERING (complex maths) principles into them, now that's a work load. So Bro we follow they suffer like u & it's worth it.

1 Like

Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by alhabeeb(m): 2:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
@op. Indeed, anytime i hear the word "AGAR-CULTURE"i feel motivated. I recalled i once told mine respected erudite supervisor that sir., if i have mine way B. Fisheries, forestry, Animal sci, Crop sci, Soil sci Agri-Economic, Extens n rural Dev't wil all be Four Years programme. Expect if they were given the same grade level with their fellow (B.pharm, LLB nd the rest) 5yrs progrm degree. But all said nd Done, am proud 2 b Ichthologist 4m UDUSOk.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by xchiz(m): 3:06pm On Aug 11, 2014
unless the work for hundred level is scrapped,there is no way we can do all that in 4years,pesin go break down. these practicals at times involve using hoes,shovels etc to till for hours...its hectic.

the real issue should be forcing the govt to mete equal treatment to graduates of agric and other "professional courses". A pharmacy graduate retained as a lecturer in a federal university is started at a higher pay level than an agric graduate yet they both studied for 5years

1 Like

Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by neyur: 3:10pm On Aug 11, 2014
chuggy: Agricultural courses are really wide as compared to most Science courses, that's a true FACT, buh criously it can't be worse than Agric. Engineering in terms of wide coverage of courses, because an Agric Engr'n Student still offers the Agric courses & also implements ENGINEERING (complex maths) principles into them, now that's a work load. So Bro we follow they suffer like u & it's worth it.
lol.....God will help
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by Aizebioje(m): 3:32pm On Aug 11, 2014
neyur:
so you are still on issue of correcting your english?? Put a write up let people see if u do better than me...
Your arrogance is your problem... Just accept the fact that you made a lot of grammatical blunders and move on. Attacking those trying to correct you is not helping matters. If it was just a typo or a wrong sentence people would not have made a big deal out of it but it a whole avalanche of blunders coupled with you short hand typing. I don't have to put up a writing for you to access because that'll be childish and embarrassing...for you mostly. So man drop your big ego and take corrections!!! Have a nice day.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by Walexwal: 3:42pm On Aug 11, 2014
To me, what we should be clamouring for is that they should remove the disparity that exist between Agric and other 5 years courses. I do always cry internally when I see the respects accorded to Pharmacists and Baristers{ even during NYSC} which we agric. Graduates are regarded as bunch of losers. Looking at the ATA programme of the present government, there should even be incentives and special attention given to agric graduates if truly Adeshina is sincere with what he is saying. They should motivate people to study agric and not a course of last resort{ cbn`s lender of last resort case} to many students. To me am always proud to be an AgricEcons graduated any day anytime. Prof.
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by neyur: 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2014
[quote author=Aizebioje]
Your arrogance is your problem... Just accept the fact that you made a lot of grammatical blunders and move on. Attacking those trying to correct you is not helping matters. If it was just a typo or a wrong sentence people would not have made a big deal out of it but it a whole avalanche of blunders coupled with you short hand typing. I don't have to put up a writing for you to access because that'll be childish and embarrassing...for you mostly. So man drop your big ego and take corrections!!! Have a nice day. [/quot
all well said....i wasn't showing to be arrogant mr, after lots of corrections and contributions,i put back a write up to thank everybody. So, i don't still understand your point of nagging and bagging your head on these matter....may be you have not been corrected before or i asummed you are mr know it all....anyway, thank you for your correction....
Re: Did U Think Agriculture Deserves D 5years Degree Programme???? by Aizebioje(m): 8:57pm On Aug 11, 2014
[quote author=neyur][/quote]
You're welcome. Don't appreciate you rude tone but you're welcome anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

do wish you could practice AGRICULTURE full time? but have little or no FUND / How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money / We Design And Print All Nylon Type ( Bread, Yam Flour, Paint,toilet Roll E.t.c)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.