Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,646 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan (24702 Views)

Lagos State Government Denies Abolishing Monthly Sanitation / Post-election Statement By The Only Female Presidential Aspirant / Prof. Sonaiya, The Only Female Presidential Aspirant In The 2015 Election [PICS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by igbokwesampson(m): 7:43am On Aug 10, 2014
President Goodluck Jonathan on Saturday made a case for the amendment of the nation’s constitution to abolish the age limit for anybody aspiring to become the President of the country.

The Constitution currently stipulates 40 years as the minimum age for anybody seeking the highest office in the land.

But Jonathan said the age limit was a discrimination against Nigerian youths who he said have all the wherewithals to rule the country.

Jonathan made his position known at an international youth summit organised by the Nigerian Young Professionals Forum at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.

He said if a former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (retd.), could rule the country at the age of 32, there was nothing wrong in giving youths a chance to lead.

While urging the youth, who attended the summit with the theme “Capacity for Change for a New Nigeria” to initiate a bill to the National Assembly for the amendment of the provision, Jonathan promised to support such a step.

The President said, “The youths have no limit in terms of number and capacity to lead this country to greatness. The only limit is that for youths to contest as President, they need to be 40.

“If Gen. Yakubu Gowon was able to rule this country at 32, there is no reason why the youths should not be given the chance.

“I think what the youth should do now is to come together, and I will support you, and take a bill to the National Assembly to amend some discriminatory provisions of the constitution in terms of age.’’

Jonathan pledged that his administration would continue to come up with policies that would be favourable to the youths.

He listed some of the programmes already put in place by the Federal Government to harness youths’ potential to include YouWin, SURE-P, Graduate Internship Scheme and the Community Service Programme, among others.

Jonathan, while observing that youths were making the nation proud in all spheres, argued that those who beat the drums of war in the country were the old people.

He said young people are not part of those who, by their utterances, are trying to divide the country along ethnic and religious lines.

“I always say that whenever you read newspapers, watch television or listen to the radios, those who preach hate, quarrel and try to divide us on the basis of ethnicity and religion are not the young people but grandfathers,” he noted.

The President said experience had shown him that the youths are comfortable living with people of different ethnic groups or religions, unlike the elderly people.

“The youths live with whomever they are comfortable with regardless of ethnic or religious affiliation; they want to marry whomever they love.

“They are not like those old people who are disturbing us, who want to divide us based on religion and all kinds of sentiments,” he said

source: http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-wants-age-limit-for-presidency-abolished/

55 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by ochon: 7:51am On Aug 10, 2014
Nice and great decision!! With this law (though the old crooks won't relinquish their source of looting for the youths to steer the ship of this country to greater and clearer paths) if put in place, it'll give youths the hope to believe there's is chance for the younger generation of this country to participate actively and redeem the failing fortunes of this once great nation.

The old looters have been ruling this country from time immemorial and they have no single achievement to show for it. The only achievements of them are - corruption, coups, inter-tribal wars, genocide, civil wars, political assassinations, deplorable roads and educational sector etc. It's so bad and insulting that old grandfathers like Buhari and Tinubu wants to still contest to rule this country when there are capable and competent younger candidates like the likes of Fashola's etc., to bring change to this country. It's high time we said NO to these grandfathers and septuagenarians/octogenarians running the affairs of this country and dragging our future and hopes in the mud. Give the youths a chance!! Einstein said, "stupidity is repeating the same methods and expecting a different outcome." These old clowns have failed us, let's give the youths some chance, instead of extending the retirement age of these old men to 80's and even 90's.

Nice one GEJ. I can always count on you to be considerate. Carry go, we the masses tanda for your back, gidigbam!! cool

95 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Okijajuju1(m): 8:08am On Aug 10, 2014
I support.

30 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Wolison(m): 8:08am On Aug 10, 2014
Good move..........but hope young politicians would be given opportunity not the recycling of the old ones that has been our norm

17 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 10, 2014
GEJ your head dey dia,

So we the youth can also loot

Correct Presido,

8 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by holyboss: 8:09am On Aug 10, 2014
Me sef knw say I no get work today undecided just making first page comment seresere grin

Anyway I op dem cancel d Age limit tin for real cos me go like contest wen I clock 15 by 2015 O! grin

Wud like to contest against Gej tho tongue smiley

4 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Project400: 8:10am On Aug 10, 2014
Interesting smiley

2 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Tmtn: 8:10am On Aug 10, 2014
Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by PerfectFortune: 8:11am On Aug 10, 2014
And what difference will it make?

The so called Nigerian youth that cldt seperate good governance from good looting (stomach infrastucture), the ones that cldt make constructive/objective argument without being biased along ethnic and religious lines (extreme bigotry), the ones that allow themselves to be used as tools of destruction, hate and division by the professional treasury looters, the ones that kill a petty thief for stealing a #50.00 note but praise "the political class" for stealing their future and robbing it in their faces or the ones whose rights have been denied for a very long time (lack of quality education and impoverished economy) thereby making them to accept anomalies as norms?

The Nigerian youths are rescilient, hard-working, innovative, resourceful and skillful but they are not prepared to take up the challenge.

39 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by simp: 8:11am On Aug 10, 2014
For once,jonathan wow me!!!!

11 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by hungryboy(m): 8:12am On Aug 10, 2014
ochon: Nice and great decision!! With this law (though the old crooks won't relinquish their source of looting for the youths to steer the ship of this country to greater and clearer paths) if put in place, it'll give youths the hope to believe there's is chance for the younger generation of this country to participate actively and redeem the failing fortunes of this once great nation.

The old looters have been ruling this country from time immemorial and they have no single achievement to show for it. They only achievements of them are - corruption, coups, inter-tribal wars, genocide, civil wars, political assassinations, deplorable roads and educational sector etc. It's so bad and insulting that an old grandfathers like Buhari and Tinubu wants to still contest to rule this country when there are capable and competent younger candidates like the likes of Fashola's etc., to bring change to this country.

Nice one GEJ.
The youths we have nowadays go loot pass them Ibb squad sef

68 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by ibrash600: 8:12am On Aug 10, 2014
nice one..

2 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by immortalvoices(m): 8:12am On Aug 10, 2014
And yet they said he is clueless..silly classless and confuse nairalanders who always see nothing good in the president

25 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by JUHABACH: 8:12am On Aug 10, 2014
it is ideas like this that will move the country forward.
great innovative thoughts. i hope he continues to show more of this socalled "cluelessness"

5 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by sirjohnson(m): 8:12am On Aug 10, 2014
Poisoned air.
Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by neuljosh(m): 8:13am On Aug 10, 2014
Nice move by the President but I do hope this is not another plot to permit some old souls to remain in power under the umbrella of “no age limit” thus tolerating some retired general to qualify for a presidential ticket. Anyway, in other to move this country forward, we need to do away with old and corrupt politicians and replace them with young vibrant men and vivacious women.

12 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Akshow: 8:13am On Aug 10, 2014
Issorait

1 Like

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by immortalvoices(m): 8:13am On Aug 10, 2014
hungryboy: The youths we have nowadays go loot pass them Ibb squad sef

One of the evil breed who think all youth share same mentality with him

24 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by emmybliz(m): 8:14am On Aug 10, 2014
Propaganda! This is just a way to get the youths to vote for him come 2015

58 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Nobody: 8:14am On Aug 10, 2014
ok :Dok, jonah is finished
Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by hybeenoni: 8:15am On Aug 10, 2014
Oga Gej stop deceivin urself, so u wish the Nigerian attain top leadership positions of d land, yet u keep recyclin old cargoes like Bamanga Tukur, e.t.c in ur cabinet.
Hw many Nigerian youths do u hv in ur cabinet?
Talk is cheap
Yeye of the highest order

70 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 10, 2014
ehehe?
:
:
:
:
Oya 3 kpozaz fr oga Jonagrin
:
:
:
:
:
Kposa

Kposa

kposaaaaaaaaa....
mtcheeww lyk say e go bring nepa light dis nyt
wen der r more important tinz tu tackle dan age bla..bla..bla

2 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Ik09: 8:15am On Aug 10, 2014
Will it really make any difference?

Corruption and ineptitude in Nigeria are institutionalised, and the president is just a figurehead.

As long as he's still going to be surrounded by the same kind of people, nothing will change even if he's a few years younger.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Lorlaahlozz: 8:15am On Aug 10, 2014
Good..

Awon old people should go nd sempe

2 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by ochon: 8:15am On Aug 10, 2014
hungryboy: The youths we have nowadays go loot pass them Ibb squad sef
The old men have failed us, they've brought more misery than blessings to us. They're bunch of thieving and looting crooks. So let's try another option - the Youths.

4 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by abe27633: 8:16am On Aug 10, 2014
1 year old presidents then?

1 Like

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by ochon: 8:16am On Aug 10, 2014
Okijajuju1: I support.
LOL. Seun really dealt with you, from making you MadCow1 against your wishes, to making you OkijaJuju1. gringrin These numbers additions to monikers kills the whole vibes.
Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Okaka27(m): 8:16am On Aug 10, 2014
Anoda strategy to recycle his pack of thieves.....
Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 10, 2014
Was Gowon elected?

3 Likes

Re: I Will Support The Abolishing Of Age Limit For Presidential Aspirant: Jonathan by Itoroetti(m): 8:17am On Aug 10, 2014
on point.
u see from a far distance than ur enemies sir.nigerians will never forget ur legacies.ur footstep will be hard to fill

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

EFCC Foils Plot To Steal Seized $2.1m NHIS Cash - PUNCH / Oshiomhole Stops Motorcade To Celebrate Kids Dancing To Tinubu's Campaign Song / The List Of Arrested Corrupt Governors (after May 29th)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.