Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Self-Education (Autodidactism): You Can Acquire It. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Self-Education (Autodidactism): You Can Acquire It. (972 Views)

Practical PC Repairs @ Your Own Comfort & Acquire It's Certification In No Time! / The Importance Of Self Education / While ASUU Is On Strike, Acquire It Skills. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Self-Education (Autodidactism): You Can Acquire It. by humnsikan: 1:43pm On Aug 10, 2014
Have you ever wondered how people like Bill gate and the likes who dropped out of school made it this big? The answer is, SELF EDUCATION or AUTODIDACTISM. It is the act of learning things without the help of a teacher, schools, etc. This act, though rewarding, requires self discipline. I let out guffaws when I see an average university student killing himself for grades. I mean, that desire to be innovative, to read and research wider, outside the school-lecturer-student thing, is totally lacking. University Education is good (in fact, in all modesty, I am a recent graduate of a professional (medical) course), but the future of Nigeria greatly depends on autodidacts -- those who take the pains to teach themselves some useful skills. Teaching yourself a particular skill helps you have a solid, unshakable grip on it; and it's necessary for any innovation. For the records, by the grace of God, these are the things I have taught myself:
--Python programming
--Boxing
--Touch-typing (typing without looking at the keyboard)
--Russian Language and
--Chess.
And most of them I did during my spare moments while still a student.

The world is now a global village; the internet is there; make use of it to the fullest. Stop wasting your precious time on frivolities; take a cue from Seun, whom I'm sure is an autodidact. There are some questions you do not have to ask people: a simple entering of the keywords into google search engine generates a googol of results to choose from. Know this: without ever attending University, you can be an expert in physics, chemistry, some engineering and computing courses, musical instruments, foreign languages and so on. The internet is there; youtube is always there for you. The truth is; once you've suceeded in teaching yourself a skill, you'd suddenly realize how easy it is to teach yourself new things.

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Self-Education (Autodidactism): You Can Acquire It. by donifez(m): 12:22pm On Aug 11, 2014
You are very correct, even in my sparetime i have a rethink is education really about the teacher- student relationship,NO! there is need to widen the horizon...am an information technology student and was thought c-programming in school but thats not enough i spend time reading ebooks and watching videos on youtube and still even willing to learn more because am not yet a professional in it. Self-education is the key to unlocking the future,lets embrace it now to enjoy it later, Thanks.
Re: Self-Education (Autodidactism): You Can Acquire It. by humnsikan: 9:07pm On Aug 11, 2014
donifez: You are very correct, even in my sparetime i have a rethink is education really about the teacher- student relationship,NO! there is need to widen the horizon...am an information technology student and was thought c-programming in school but thats not enough i spend time reading ebooks and watching videos on youtube and still even willing to learn more because am not yet a professional in it. Self-education is the key to unlocking the future,lets embrace it now to enjoy it later, Thanks.

This is nice. Nigerians should hear this.
Re: Self-Education (Autodidactism): You Can Acquire It. by Kennyking1234: 2:41am On Jul 07, 2021
being teaching myself how to program it is worth it.
humnsikan:
Have you ever wondered how people like Bill gate and the likes who dropped out of school made it this big? The answer is, SELF EDUCATION or AUTODIDACTISM. It is the act of learning things without the help of a teacher, schools, etc. This act, though rewarding, requires self discipline. I let out guffaws when I see an average university student killing himself for grades. I mean, that desire to be innovative, to read and research wider, outside the school-lecturer-student thing, is totally lacking. University Education is good (in fact, in all modesty, I am a recent graduate of a professional (medical) course), but the future of Nigeria greatly depends on autodidacts -- those who take the pains to teach themselves some useful skills. Teaching yourself a particular skill helps you have a solid, unshakable grip on it; and it's necessary for any innovation. For the records, by the grace of God, these are the things I have taught myself:
--Python programming
--Boxing
--Touch-typing (typing without looking at the keyboard)
--Russian Language and
--Chess.
And most of them I did during my spare moments while still a student.

The world is now a global village; the internet is there; make use of it to the fullest. Stop wasting your precious time on frivolities; take a cue from Seun, whom I'm sure is an autodidact. There are some questions you do not have to ask people: a simple entering of the keywords into google search engine generates a googol of results to choose from. Know this: without ever attending University, you can be an expert in physics, chemistry, some engineering and computing courses, musical instruments, foreign languages and so on. The internet is there; youtube is always there for you. The truth is; once you've suceeded in teaching yourself a skill, you'd suddenly realize how easy it is to teach yourself new things.

What do you think?
Re: Self-Education (Autodidactism): You Can Acquire It. by chukwunweikeemi(m): 10:04am On Jul 07, 2021
Self education is the only form of education.If we are going to have inventions in this country it will come from the autodidacts.Too bad most people just love certificate but hate knowledge.They manage to go through the university and once they graduate they never bother to read any seroius book because there is no First class or second class to be awarded them.A university shouldn't be a place where grades are awarded to students who pass examinanination in many and often unrelated subjects,rather it should be a place where the intellectual curiosity is awakened so that the graduates can continue in life long study when the professors are done with them.

(1) (Reply)

Agbami 2014 Scholarship Awards, Applicants From Oyo State / Pictures:do U Remember This? / NSUK Post-graduate Application Into Law & Arts Faculties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.