Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? (2632 Views)

Pros $ Cons Of PDO And Mysqli / Php and MySQL videos (Php6 And Mysqli Videos completely Practical) / Help On Installing Mysqli Extension For PHP On A Linux Server (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by ysd01(m): 4:22pm On Aug 10, 2014
i started php nt long ago, went far with a web application project. one day i was goin through an article online. i saw a serious criticism on the three APIs ie MySQL, MySQLi & PDO. where pdo was given priority. is there any problem if i continued with mysql? thank u.
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by GodMode: 4:44pm On Aug 10, 2014
ysd01: i started php nt long ago, went far with a web application project. one day i was goin through an article online. i saw a serious criticism on the three APIs ie MySQL, MySQLi & PDO. where pdo was given priority. is there any problem if i continued with mysql? thank u.

php mysql extension is deprecated.... it is better to learn mysqli and pdo,, cos they are more recent.

edited because micodon is creating unnecessary argument below

1 Like

Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by adewasco2k(m): 7:20pm On Aug 10, 2014
mysql ? no no no

1 Like

Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 10, 2014
MySQL functions are now in the museum.
$mysqli->query is the way
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by uken73(m): 4:03am On Aug 11, 2014
Not a PHP programmer by I belief the following would help.

MySQL: Deprecated

PDO
1. Database support: 12 different drivers
2. API: OOP
3. Connection: Easy
4. Named parameters: Yes
5. Object mapping: Yes
6. Prepared statements: (client side) Yes
7. Performance: Fast
8. Stored procedures: Yes

MySQLi
1. Database support: MySQL Only
2. API: OOP + procedural
4. Named parameters: No
6. Prepared statements: No

http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/pdo-vs-mysqli-which-should-you-use--net-24059

You would also find helpful information along with comparison here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQLi

1 Like

Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 11, 2014
^^That is excellent
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by ysd01(m): 9:29pm On Aug 11, 2014
uken73: Not a PHP programmer by I belief the following would help.

MySQL: Deprecated

PDO
1. Database support: 12 different drivers
2. API: OOP
4. Named parameters: Yes
6. Prepared statements: (client side) Yes

MySQLi
1. Database support: MySQL Only
2. API: OOP + procedural
4. Named parameters: No
6. Prepared statements: No

http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/pdo-vs-mysqli-which-should-you-use--net-24059

You would also find helpful information along with comparison here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQLi
THANX ALOT
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by shadowwalker201: 10:12pm On Aug 11, 2014
okay
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by micodon(m): 10:42am On Aug 12, 2014
MySQL is a database Management System.

MySQLi is just an Extension of MySQL. It's Just a different Interface to accessing MySQL functions. Those saying MySQL is deprecated don't know what they are saying.

PDO is not a database system. It's an ABSTRACTION LAYER.

My Point? You shouldn't compare those three. They're functionally different
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 12, 2014
MySQL functions are deprecated - I said it, just type that into google and press enter - then we will see who knows and who does not know that they are saying.
Technically, you can access mysql database via:
- MySQL functions
- MySQLi functions
- PDO functions
so, the three are related in the first place as they serve as means to connect to, and query the database. However, due to some recent changes, MySQL functions became deprecated, so to use MySQL database now, it is either you use MySQLi or PDO.
Technically, you can still use mysql functions, but some higher versions of PHP will swear for you except you suppress the functions with @ e.g @mysql_query.
Dont come and start confusing us with wrappers and abstraction layer (big big grammars). We all know that mysqli and pdo are not databases.
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by adewasco2k(m): 12:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
micodon: MySQL is a database Management System.

MySQLi is just an Extension of MySQL. It's Just a different Interface to accessing MySQL functions. Those saying MySQL is deprecated don't know what they are saying.

PDO is not a database system. It's an ABSTRACTION LAYER.

My Point? You shouldn't compare those three. They're functionally different

Yes MySQL is a database and MySQLi and PDO are just extensions or APIs to connect to MySQL server but so is MySQL...MySQL is the old way of connecting to a MySQL server.

Just last week i wanted to use a feature which was available only on php 5.4, instead of upgrading to 5.4 i upgraded to 5.5 then i got an error that said something like "MySQL has been deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0 and will be removed in the future bla bla bla"
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by micodon(m): 3:41pm On Aug 12, 2014
adewasco2k:

Yes MySQL is a database and MySQLi and PDO are just extensions or APIs to connect to MySQL server but so is MySQL...MySQL is the old way of connecting to a MySQL server.

Just last week i wanted to use a feature which was available only on php 5.4, instead of upgrading to 5.4 i upgraded to 5.5 then i got an error that said something like "MySQL has been deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0 and will be removed in the future bla bla bla"

That's talking about the MySQL DLL extension. That's the library that connects PHP with MySQL and it's not written by Oracle. It's written by Zend. Dude know what's happening before you misinform people
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by micodon(m): 3:44pm On Aug 12, 2014
dhtml18: MySQL functions are deprecated - I said it, just type that into google and press enter - then we will see who knows and who does not know that they are saying.
- MySQL functions
- MySQLi functions
- PDO functions
so, the three are related in the first place as they serve as means to connect to, and query the database. However, due to some recent changes, MySQL functions became deprecated, so to use MySQL database now, it is either you use MySQLi or PDO.
Technically, you can still use mysql functions, but some higher versions of PHP will swear for you except you suppress the functions with @ e.g @mysql_query.
Dont come and start confusing us with wrappers and abstraction layer (big big grammars). We all know that mysqli and pdo are not databases.

MySQL functions ARE NOT DEPRECATED. THE deprecated functions are those written by PHP makers in the php mysql dll that connects PHP to MySQL. PHP have decided that they are not gonna continue with
the library.
You still don't know what you are talking about.
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by micodon(m): 3:44pm On Aug 12, 2014
dhtml18: MySQL functions are deprecated - I said it, just type that into google and press enter - then we will see who knows and who does not know that they are saying.
- MySQL functions
- MySQLi functions
- PDO functions

MySQL functions ARE NOT DEPRECATED. THE deprecated functions are those written by PHP makers in the php mysql dll that connects PHP to MySQL. PHP have decided that they are not gonna continue with the library.
You still don't know what you are talking about.
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by micodon(m): 3:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
Now I get what you're talking about. You're talking about the MySQL, MySQLi and PDO extensions Written by PHP. Your use of those three should be less ambiguous in future.

PHP's MySQL driver will be removed from PHP 5.6.

MySQLi or PDO? PDO for sure. With PDO, you can Connect to different Database systems with the same code. MySQLi will only connect to MySQL
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
I have said my own, google knows the correct answer - so whether we argue from here till tomorow, will not change anything.
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by ysd01(m): 4:06pm On Aug 12, 2014
- MySQL functions
- MySQLi functions
- PDO functions
RYT

1 Like

Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by adewasco2k(m): 4:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
micodon:

That's talking about the MySQL DLL extension. That's the library that connects PHP with MySQL and it's not written by Oracle. It's written by Zend. Dude know what's happening before you misinform people

hmmm, some body is smoking weed

Just when you were making sense! where did i mention oracle?
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 12, 2014
Very true, the guy must be on weeds too for mentioning oracle. Just searched the page for where anyone mentioned oracle.
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by maekhel(m): 4:42pm On Aug 12, 2014
very dry weed I must say cos he is Jst confusing himself
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by micodon(m): 8:48am On Aug 13, 2014
adewasco2k:

hmmm, some body is smoking weed

Just when you were making sense! where did i mention oracle?

Imagine. So you don't know that Oracle Owns MySQL?
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by micodon(m): 9:03am On Aug 13, 2014
dhtml18: Very true, the guy must be on weeds too for mentioning oracle. Just searched the page for where anyone mentioned oracle.

Ignorance kills. Which Company owns MySQL?? Who's smoking weed?
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 13, 2014
Jeezus lawd of all mercies! *dies*
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by maekhel(m): 9:15am On Aug 13, 2014
micodon:

what has the owner of MYSQL gat to do with wat d OP is trying to achieve

1 Like

Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by maekhel(m): 9:15am On Aug 13, 2014
micodon:

what has the owner of MYSQL gat to do with wat d OP is trying to achieve. guy behave!
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 13, 2014
The guy don dey smoke weed tay tay, first it is oracle, now owner of mysql
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by micodon(m): 9:22am On Aug 13, 2014
Oracle Inc. has a Database System called MySQL Server. But ordinarily, PHP, JAVA, .NET, C++ and so on cannot talk with MySQL.

Each of the companies or groups managing these languages built libraries or drivers having functions that makes talking to MySQL server possible. PHP has php_mysql.dll, php_mysqli.dll and php_pdo.dll (check in your php/ext folder). NET has mysql_connector.dll (or so).

Now, PHP managers are saying that they are going to discontinue development of the php_mysql driver thus deprecating its functions. That's not Oracle's business as their MySQL is still under active development.

All you who go about googling yet not understanding, misinforming and arguing with someone who's been programming for 9 years now without basis, THAT LITTLE EXPLANATION IS FOR YOUR ENLIGHTENMENT
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by GodMode: 9:44am On Aug 13, 2014
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 13, 2014
@micodon, konk your head and repeat after me - I, micodon don dey madt.
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by GodMode: 10:27am On Aug 13, 2014
dhtml18: @micodon, know your head and repeat after me - I, micodon don dey madt.

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJOdg6cBa--40A2yXg-eahpC6ulTrFfuZ7RVIz657gua3XPB3YY6AE-kA[/img]
Re: Mysql, Mysqli Or Pdo? by adewasco2k(m): 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2014
micodon:

OMG not again

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Hoarding Nigerian Domain Name (.ng) / I Need Free Ebooks On Asp.net For Web Application / Cool Way Of Making Money Form 2go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.