Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,370 members, 7,861,020 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:12 PM

Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! (1028 Views)

Naira Needs Devaluation - Segun Agbaje, GTBank CEO / Fuel Shortages To Hit Nigeria In Three Weeks – Seplat CEO / Get GSM Recharge Card Pin Distributors List Name Of CEO And Contact Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by databoy247(m): 10:19pm On Aug 13, 2014
There are no enough jobs in the country to cater for new graduates and even the unfortunate ones who cant even justify attending the four walls of school (calling themselves graduates searching for jobs). Because of this situation, almost everyone is wanting to become an entrepreneur. It's a good thing as it's advised to always try to create opportunities for yourself when there are non.

WHY YOU CANT EVEN SUCCEED AS AN ENTREPRENEUR! angry
I see ALOT of people who have this attitude of wanting to become a CEO overnight! Nobody wants to answer the title of "freelancer" anymore. You are running a small business? Fine! But must you ALWAYS address yourself as CEO??

You see a young man from his bedroom in his father's house answering CEO!! Some of them talk to you or post their unattractive ads saying "We" can do this, "We" can do that....Or they will say; "Send a mail to us". For heaven's sake, it's just you in your bedroom...there is no "US".

And do you keep wondering why you are not making it especially online?? Because the more you try to claim what you are not, the more you sound foolish, uneducated, inexperienced and fraudulent.

Most of them use the words "Our Office", when they cant even pay for a caravan space. They can't even afford a decent domain name (N1,700)!! They keep using and still claim to be a CEO.

You DONT jump from a job seeker 2 weeks ago, to becoming a CEO tomorrow. In the corporate world there is something called "Due Process". Everything in life is in stages. Do you even know what it means to be a CEO?? This is so ridiculous and funny!

MY ADVICE
If you are good in something, place adverts stating it's you...the freelance professional that is offering the service, not some ghost company CEO that is not even registered with CAC. People are ready to pay you for a service than pay an invisible "US".

If you think claiming all sorts of title will make people patronize you, then you have a long way to go. NOBODY will patronize you until you start being original. When the time comes to become a CEO, it will surely come. Don't jump into it when you are not ready.

I will leave you with an example;

I culled this from the website of a freelance website developer in Canada. See how he used words that announces his "person", words like "i" and "my".....and he has gotten some good contracts. He didn't claim to be a CEO. Now tell me, if you were looking for a developer, would you give him the job? or will you give it to a wannabe CEO who does not even know what the term means?

........My background and strength is in programming. This allows me to create sites with a high level of functionality. And thanks to JavaScript libraries such as jQuery and faster JavaScript rendering engines, browsers are now becoming viable development platforms capable of replacing traditional desktop applications. This allows you to provide for your users a more rich and compelling user experience. So whether you need a simple 5 page website or an online store with a backend content management system, I can provide you with a solution to reach your goals.

The website is http://www.fullfrontalmedia.ca/

You can go through it and learn how to be yourself as an upcoming entrepreneur and STOP claiming what you are not. Do this and see the changes that will follow.

Cheers. cool
Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by databoy247(m): 10:40pm On Aug 13, 2014
I just saw some perfect examples with some bulk sms websites and laugh wan kill me... grin
Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by dannywest: 7:37pm On Aug 16, 2014
databoy247: There are no enough jobs in the country to cater for new graduates and even the unfortunate ones who cant even justify attending the four walls of school (calling themselves graduates searching for jobs). Because of this situation, almost everyone is wanting to become an entrepreneur. It's a good thing as it's advised to always try to create opportunities for yourself when there are non.
I see ALOT of people who have this attitude of wanting to become a CEO overnight! Nobody wants to answer the title of "freelancer" anymore. You are running a small business? Fine! But must you ALWAYS address yourself as CEO??
You see a young man from his bedroom in his father's house answering CEO!! Some of them talk to you or post their unattractive ads saying "We" can do this, "We" can do that....Or they will say; "Send a mail to us". For heaven's sake, it's just you in your bedroom...there is no "US".
And do you keep wondering why you are not making it especially online?? Because the more you try to claim what you are not, the more you sound foolish, uneducated, inexperienced and fraudulent.
Most of them use the words "Our Office", when they cant even pay for a caravan space. They can't even afford a decent domain name (N1,700)!! They keep using and still claim to be a CEO.
You DONT jump from a job seeker 2 weeks ago, to becoming a CEO tomorrow. In the corporate world there is something called "Due Process". Everything in life is in stages. Do you even know what it means to be a CEO?? This is so ridiculous and funny!
MY ADVICE
If you are good in something, place adverts stating it's you...the freelance professional that is offering the service, not some ghost company CEO that is not even registered with CAC. People are ready to pay you for a service than pay an invisible "US".
If you think claiming all sorts of title will make people patronize you, then you have a long way to go. NOBODY will patronize you until you start being original. When the time comes to become a CEO, it will surely come. Don't jump into it when you are not ready.
I culled this from the website of a freelance website developer in Canada. See how he used words that announces his "person", words like "i" and "my".....and he has gotten some good contracts. He didn't claim to be a CEO. Now tell me, if you were looking for a developer, would you give him the job? or will you give it to a wannabe CEO who does not even know what the term means?
........My background and strength is in programming. This allows me to create sites with a high level of functionality. And thanks to JavaScript libraries such as jQuery and faster JavaScript rendering engines, browsers are now becoming viable development platforms capable of replacing traditional desktop applications. This allows you to provide for your users a more rich and compelling user experience. So whether you need a simple 5 page website or an online store with a backend content management system, I can provide you with a solution to reach your goals.
You can go through it and learn how to be yourself as an upcoming entrepreneur and STOP claiming what you are not. Do this and see the changes that will follow.
Cheers. cool

Oga you guilty too o!

See the Website on your profile.

1 Like

Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by Youngzedd(m): 7:51pm On Aug 16, 2014
dannywest:

Oga you guilty too o!

Yawa don gas.

@Op

Do what you preach.
Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by koredex4love(m): 8:06pm On Aug 16, 2014
Oga original op,
I have this advice for you.you need to change your orientation.that you have small business that you ,your wife and probably a sales person you involved as make you qualified as WE,because all of you are working to uphelp the business move forward. What a man can coceieve ,surely he can achieve.You need to start building yourself now!!!!!!!!!!!!
All people want is your genueiness and not i or we.
God bless our hustling!
Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by databoy247(m): 9:01pm On Aug 16, 2014
dannywest:
Oga you guilty too o!

My dear, i work with a team. I have an exceptional graphic artist, an experienced php developer and a business advisory consultant. I pay these people, and they work with me on contract basis. They are my team. When the time comes i will employ full time staff.

Besides, am registered with CAC and currently furnishing my office, which i have paid for plus a mini warehouse in the same building. I am not claiming what i am not. before now, i answered the title of "Freelancer" even in my facebook and my Linkedin profile. In my facebook then, what you would have seen was "Freelancer Web developer at oDesk".

But if you feel claiming what you are not will make your business grow, then good luck.

koredex4love: Oga original op,
I have this advice for you.you need to change your orientation.that you have small business that you ,your wife and probably a sales person you involved as make you qualified as WE,because all of you are working to uphelp the business move forward. What a man can coceieve ,surely he can achieve.You need to start building yourself now!!!!!!!!!!!!
All people want is your genueiness and not i or we.
God bless our hustling!
It's good when you have people (your wife, sales person, etc) working with you. Then you can say we. It's allowed, but the question is; does that make you a CEO?? When the business is not even legally registered?

There are some minor mistakes we make as individuals but we fail to see them as mistakes and maybe, just maybe that same mistake has been hindering you from getting that contract.
Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by dannywest: 9:30pm On Aug 16, 2014
databoy247:

My dear, i work with a team. I have an exceptional graphic artist, an experienced php developer and a business advisory consultant. I pay these people, and they work with me on contract basis. They are my team. When the time comes i will employ full time staff.

Besides, am registered with CAC and currently furnishing my office, which i have paid for plus a mini warehouse in the same building. I am not claiming what i am not. before now, i answered the title of "Freelancer" even in my facebook and my Linkedin profile. In my facebook then, what you would have seen was "Freelancer Web developer at oDesk".

But if you feel claiming what you are not will make your business grow, then good luck.

It's good when you have people (your wife, sales person, etc) working with you. Then you can say we. It's allowed, but the question is; does that make you a CEO?? When the business is not even legally registered?

There are some minor mistakes we make as individuals but we fail to see them as mistakes and maybe, just maybe that same mistake has been hindering you from getting that contract.

I'm not sure businesses are set up to be one man operations forever, yes the CEO title is overkill most times but I don't see the issue with we on a website. Almost every business owner never works 100% alone, even in supplies they can easily say they have others who they "pay" to procure goods. From your post, till your office has other people apart from you warming it full time, maybe you should revert to "me" & "I" grin
Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by legalwealth(m): 9:37pm On Aug 16, 2014
databoy247: There are no enough jobs in the country to cater for new graduates and even the unfortunate ones who cant even justify attending the four walls of school (calling themselves graduates searching for jobs). Because of this situation, almost everyone is wanting to become an entrepreneur. It's a good thing as it's advised to always try to create opportunities for yourself when there are non.

MY ADVICE

Cheers. cool

Hilarious but true! !!
Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by Youngzedd(m): 9:56pm On Aug 16, 2014
legalwealth:

Hilarious but true! !!

Yeah, although the guy made some sense.

But we all started from somewhere, with the mentality to upgrade. Yeah, I responded as "we" when I was still living with my people, even have a virtual office lol, but now we are here. The dream is coming to reality.

What I noticed in business is this, if you maintain that you work alone, some people will not patronize you, they will think that you're one individual that can't handle many tasks bla bla bla.

It's good to be original though.

Last bullet :

It's a matter of choice.

2 Likes

Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by databoy247(m): 10:03pm On Aug 16, 2014
Youngzedd:

Yeah, although the guy made some sense.

But we all started from somewhere, with the mentality to upgrade. Yeah, I responded as "we" when I was still living with my people, even have a virtual office lol, but now we are here. The dream is coming to reality.

What I noticed in business is this, if you maintain that you work alone, some people will not patronize you, they will think that you're one individual that can't handle many tasks bla bla bla.

It's good to be original though.

Last bullet :

It's a matter of choice.

LOL
Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by dav8id(m): 10:19pm On Aug 16, 2014
as far as you are the owner of the said business THEN YOU ARE THE CEO chapter closeundecided

1 Like

Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by Youngzedd(m): 8:19am On Aug 17, 2014
dav8id: as far as you are the owner of the said business THEN YOU ARE THE CEO chapter closeundecided

My oga at the top has spoken.
Re: Wannabe CEO And The Usage Of "Us" And "We" - Must Read! by aditoomuch: 12:34am On Aug 19, 2014
Whether u are a one man business or not there is nothing wrong with saying 'we' when referring to ur establishment or company because whether temporarily or permanently u would always have one or two people doing one thing or the other for you, and besides you are simply trying to promote a brand or company which is not an individual. As for the CEO part I see nothing wrong with it even though in my case I left that part out of my business card but whoever decides to be addressed like that has no problems.

(1) (Reply)

Introducing Promotionalgifts.com.ng / This Guy Makes Millions Polishing Shoes! / Business Intelligence For Smes Profitability & Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.