Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,311 members, 7,811,922 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:45 PM

Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife (1135 Views)

Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife / Ebola: Why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria – Wife / Ebola: Why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria – Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by legendsilver(m): 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2014
The widow of late Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian-American who brought Ebola into Nigeria, has made heartfelt revelations on why her husband deliberately came into the country with the deadly disease.
Premium Times reports that the wife of the late Patrick, Decontee Sawyer, who is a Radio Host in New York has cleared the rumours about how her husband was defiant to the law that restricted any Ebola infected person from travelling outside the country.
Decontee Sawyer
Related: EBOLA: Liberia Apologises To Nigeria
Decontee made it known that it was the yearning of his late husband to receive adequate health care which he could not get in Liberia that made him opted to travel down to Africa’s most populous country, Nigeria.
Mrs Sawyer also took to her Facebook account to explain more about it. In her words, she said:“I’ve read other reports in other papers (not the New York Times) about Patrick’s “recklessness.” I get where they’re coming from, and they certainly have the right to feel the way they do. However, as Patrick’s widow, I would like to shed some light on this from another perspective. One that only I, his wife, would know,” she wrote.
“I knew Patrick better than anybody else (including himself). He had told me many times in the past how much he didn’t trust the Liberian healthcare system. He would tell me about how a person would get checked in for one thing, and get misdiagnosed and get the wrong treatment as a result. On top of that, Patrick was a clean freak, and told me how filthy a lot of the hospitals were.
“He didn’t tell me this, but I know in my heart of hearts that Patrick was determined to get to Nigeria by all means because he felt that Nigeria would be a place of refuge. He has expressed to me many times in the past that he felt passionately about helping to be a part of strengthening Liberia’s healthcare system, but he knew it wasn’t there yet, and he wouldn’t want to take a chance with his life because a lot of people depended on him… Patrick had a passion for life, and he wouldn’t have wanted his to end. So, I bet anything that he was thinking, if I could only get to Nigeria, a way more developed country than Liberia, I would be able to get some help. How ironic.”
The late Liberian-American’s decision to travel down to Nigeria has caused so many uproar and panic in the country as many Nigerians have booed the late Sawyer as an inconsiderate fellow who just wanted to deliberately spread the deadly disease. Even the Nigerian President, Goodluck Jonathan, few days ago lambasted the late Sawyer calling him a mad manfor the irrational decision he took by travelling to Nigeria. It would be recalled that Nigeria had a clean slate of the record of the disease not until the late Patrick Sawyer walk right into the country.
Mrs. Sawyer however combated words of many people saying her husband deliberately brought the disease to the country by saying:“It has been reported that Patrick avoided physical contact with everyone he came across during his trip from Liberia to Nigeria. The CCTV in the airport revealed it. When he got to Nigeria, he turned himself in letting them know that he had just flown in from Liberia. “Patrick went to Nigeria for help so that he can get properly diagnosed, and not misdiagnosed in Liberia. And if it came back that he did have Ebola, he trusted the Nigerian healthcare system a lot more than he trusted the Liberian’s. His action, as off as it was, was a desperate plea for help. Patrick didn’t want to die, and he thought his life would be saved in Nigeria.”
Mrs. Sawyer further took a swipe at the Liberian President, Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, who said Mr Sawyer was indiscipline and disrespectful for failing to heed medical advice not to travel. Mrs Sawyer said if President Johnson-Sirleaf had fixed the healthcare system in Liberia, her husband would not have left in search of treatment elsewhere.
“I write today, not simply because of Patrick, but because of the broken healthcare system in the Liberia, and the government’s inability under President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf (and other past Presidents) to fix it. Good doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers aren’t given the support they need to save lives.
“President Sirleaf went on CNN News throwing stones at Patrick, a man who can no longer defend himself, a man who worked tirelessly for Liberia. She should be ashamed of herself. I use to admire this woman, and was excited and proud of her accomplishment as the first woman President in the entire continent of Africa. She will always own that. We will always own that. It can’t be taken away from her. It’s something to be proud of. But this woman has failed her country,”She wrote.
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by jakiedudu(m): 10:45pm On Aug 13, 2014
What can I say? Thought of that aspect for a long time that the guy came just so he could get proper healthy care. What I don't get was the way he behaved to the nurses during his treatment.
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by McWhillion(m): 10:46pm On Aug 13, 2014
Story, ,let her keep guessing his reasons for bringing Ebola into Nigeria. How come he was avoiding the crowd in Liberia but allowed nurses and doctors to freely touch him in Nigeria. Mrs Sawyer, I don't care what you believe, you've not convinced me.
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by Zillight: 10:53pm On Aug 13, 2014
Sawyer's wife needs to understand what his coming has caused the an entire nation of close to 200million population, tears that his husband has caused to some Nigerian families....then he will know his late husband's action was indeed a "stupid one", he died on the long run and also put lifes at stake. he dishonoured himself by bringing this infection to Nigeria.
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by ejlee(m): 11:09pm On Aug 13, 2014
How come his wife Mrs sawyer not affected with the deadly virus, i think someone is playing prank here.

SOMEHOW should please drag that woman for test
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by Christmasdon(m): 1:43pm On Aug 14, 2014
.helo, fellas lets reason like a man who is not ontop of a woman's labs, .Mrs Sawyer might be right' you know,? But, how can we suffer as a whole for someone's damn Liberian mistake.s?
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by bigmom: 2:50pm On Aug 14, 2014
mrs sawyer,does nigeria has cure for Ebola?
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by infolekan(m): 2:57pm On Aug 14, 2014
Stupidity at its peak. So what did he do when he came to Nigeria?
Did he present to the Hospital as someone with a history of contact with Ebola?
Was there any drug for Ebola in Nigeria?
How well did he protect for himself?
Someone that went about shaking the Nigerian Ambassador to Liberia....had several people touching him without warning then and she's there talking about looking for a good health system.
That Lady sure doesn't know what she's saying

1 Like

Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by jpphilips(m): 3:00pm On Aug 14, 2014
I think this woman has been rehearsing a lot of PDP press release, little wonder she became emboldened.
If Sawyer wanted adequate care, why did he lie to the hospital that he didn't make contact with an Ebola patient?
was he expected to be treated of malaria being the first Ebola patient in Nigeria?
Where is Nigeria gonna get the treatment to give him?
"Patrick had a passion for life", yet he carried his sister who was dying of Ebola in his arms, he really cared about over 179 Nigerians on death row today, he couldn't warn the doctor and nurses to avoid contact with him.

Madam, go mourn your fvcktard hubby and stop insulting our sensibilities!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 14, 2014
I blame Nigeria not Mr Sawyer, we knew he was coming from Liberia and yet didn't do the needful.
Without Him even saying a word, precaution should hv been taken.

Its easy to point to Late Mr Sawyer and Liberia for our incompetence.

Nigeria wake up.
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by deols(f): 8:08pm On Aug 14, 2014
Sawyer had passion for life yet he looks Obese.

MR.s Sawyee can tell this story to the dogs.

Mr. Sawyer is a bad, dead person. Period. I wonder how much he got paid to come into Nigeria. Why did he not go to the USA where he can get the best treatment. He is afterall American.
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by deols(f): 8:10pm On Aug 14, 2014
greatbygrace: I blame Nigeria not Mr Sawyer, we knew he was coming from Liberia and yet didn't do the needful.
Without Him even saying a word, precaution should hv been taken.

Its easy to point to Late Mr Sawyer and Liberia for our incompetence.

Nigeria wake up.

I agree with you. In fact, I think the minister of health should be preassured to resign.
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by Trustyd1(m): 7:12am On Aug 15, 2014
firstly I blame Nigeria embersy in Liberia for issuing the visa to that sick man. And that is to say they don't know their duty. Now, "two wrongs" was accepting him into country sick knowing where he's coming from. Secondly I blame fortune that smile at him wherefor making him capable of affording flight ticket if not he'll stay back in his country and manage whatever medical provision they can over. Other liberians that are poor are staying behind and even when they die is in their country. 4k off mrs ebola
Re: Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled To Nigeria- Wife by Ksslib(m): 7:53am On Aug 15, 2014
"patrick didnt want to die" but look at how many deaths/panic and potential casualties his action has caused. Madam abegi bone grammar..

Why did he avoid contact with people? Cos he knew the deadly virus was in his blood. This is the height of recklessness and ffucktardity.

This is ebola for christ's sake--- why didnt he carry a placard on his belly indicating his condition? Why didnt he warn erryone with a mic attached to his mouth to keep distance that he is a potential ebola carrier. No he didnt do that. Why didnt he inform the proper authority in Nigeria as to why he was coming or what he was carrying?

Bottom line is --- Patrick didnt care about the damage his condition ll cause others so far he gets a solution.. Thats greediness. or you think a country with no case whatso ever of the deadly ebola will accommodate one foreign carrier in the name of treatment when our health care system is in shambles?

The U.S guy who was a doctor in Liberia said immediately he came-up with fever, he quickly Isolated himself from others.. Why didnt he run to almighty america on the next flight. This is a man with a conscience and a working brain. Not that Patrcik Foool.

His wife sould better shut-up cos there's nothing she will say that will calm Nigerians down. Or she thinks the fact that her husband was desperate for a solution will erase the fact that his actions were stupidd? Imagine me loosing a loved one cos of one Sawyer..

Besides, this is a man who due to his position ought to be educated.. Doesnt he read? Doesnt he know how deadly ebola can be? Is he ignorant of the fact that it can be easily spread? What sort of treament was he planning to get in Naija sef? Why did he risk so many lives? Did he warn passengers on the plane?
So may questions to ask.

Its a pity that those who are educated quickly become illiterates the moment danger looms. Patricks action reeks illiteracy though he feigned it.

I couldnt help but notice his wife pointed out the fact that CCTv revelaed he avoided body contact at the airport. Wait a min, she thinks that will paint her husband in good light? I dont know how she thinks humann psychology works but as a matter of fact, it made me more angry with this Patrick guy cos that again showed he knew the deadly implications of Ebola/ a potential carrier but still decided to risk innocent people's lives..

I'll end this epistle cos i dey vex.. May the guardians of the land beyond quarantine his silly spirit.. Nonsense!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

8 Ways To Eat Less Salt And Help Your Blood Pressure / The Hard Truth About Erectile Dysfunction / Barbell Power Cleans Maxman Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.