Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,494 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? (1753 Views)

If You See Nothing Wrong With This Picture, Your Morality Is Questionable. / Self-service, Selfless-service And Nigerian Christian Morality. / Abortion In Nigeria: Legality, Morality And The Fear Of God (theists, Deists) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
Non-theists-- atheists, agnostics, humanists, ati bee bee lo -- what is the basis of your morality?
How do you decide if something is "good" or "bad".

I am aware that morality is subjective.

I am busy now, Will post mine later.

Cc: highmey, Seun, Rationalmind, Qstar, Dragonking, TheBigUrban2, Mazaje, krayzieklay, Weah96, Lucario007, Foolfinder, Scyllapatron, Atigba, Oduduwaboy, onetrack,
Zikdik, EyesWideOpen, frank317, nnofaith, finofaya, JerryBerry, basille, traware, etc

"what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?"
--Plato

1 Like

Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by TheBigUrban2: 6:22pm On Aug 15, 2014
Notable mentions (for the opposing side)

-Italo, Striklymi, DeepSight, joshthefirst, reyginus,
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by krayzieklay(m): 6:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
As for me,my conscience and also common sense define my morality.

Common sense; 1+1= 2

Conscience: Karma can b a nasty lady unless u make sure the lady is beautiful..

Get the drift?

1 Like

Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
morals are the rules of life for all intelligent people theists or atheists. we all have the instinct to do right, but religion has made a lot of people to do what is written instead of what is right. The truth remains that we need no book to know what is right or wrong.

Personally, I filter everything through my own intellect and empathy.

1 Like

Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by mazaje(m): 7:05pm On Aug 15, 2014
I use reason as my guidance to moral choices. . .

2 Likes

Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by tangled: 7:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
…………………….
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by qstar(m): 8:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
Reason, respect, empathy.
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by UrbanMystique: 8:41pm On Aug 15, 2014
consequence and karma
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by basille(m): 9:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
There's no such thing as Good or Bad (ask moral nihilists), it all depends on the perspective. Good, bad, Right and Wrong are just terminologies used to define what we humans feel, experience, or encounter at a particular time (subjected to change) irrespective of its validity.

A quick example: Marijuana is illegal in some countries, and to some people the intake of it can be consider as wrong/bad while to some others, its intake can be considered as Right/Good.

Then to a someone who grew up with the prejudice or who has always thought of it's intake as being wrong, then takes it later, and experiences the positive effect of it's elevation from depression, such a person can reconsider its intake as Right/Good.
It all cases, right or wrong are what each individually feels(its also subjected to change).

In general, we humans base morality on what we perceive (at a particular time towards an action) especially in the society, there's no generally accepted, accurate (i.e proven) standard for basing morality, and that's where the major flaw lies because rules, regulations and laws are all created on this inaccurate bases.
But then again validity for morality can't be ever known.

Left to me, i base my morality on empathy.

6 Likes

Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by highmey(m): 10:25pm On Aug 15, 2014

Morality, Hmmm!

Okay... Conscience and honesty plays a greater role, also, I want to be treated with love and respect.
So, these has been a standard for me, in terms of morality.

smiley
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by Dragonking: 10:43pm On Aug 15, 2014
Compassion, conscience, common sense and empathy. (C.C.C.E)

2 Likes

Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by finofaya: 10:46am On Aug 16, 2014
I can't see that there is anything that is inherently good or bad.

When it comes to morally right or wrong, however, (as far as morality refers to how humans ought to behave towards one another) I believe that using the guideline "to others as to you" will be a step in the direction of making morally right decisions. The only addition would be that actions that do not interfere with the well being of any other human being should be equally permissible.
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by plaetton: 4:06pm On Aug 16, 2014
It puzzles me how a Christian, for example, would claim that morality stems from god when the same Christian god is guilty of the most gross and heinous acts of immortality as recorded in the Christian Bible.
How can anything morally good be attributable to god when bible wielding men have committed so much atrocities over the ages?

3 Likes

Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by Oduduwaboy(m): 9:13pm On Aug 16, 2014
Morality should be determined by a desire to do no harm & seeking to do good to other entities and the society at large.

Its sad to know that religion has established certain lifestyle choices as immoraralities when these can at best be accepted as possibly harmful to the biological survival of the person concerned.

Well, i will come back to expantiate.
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by onetrack(m): 9:34pm On Aug 16, 2014
The general ideals of humanism are pretty good. Don't do something to someone that you don't want done to yourself (obviously there are exceptions, like needing to discipline a child for his own good even though he doesn't like it). And empathy is important, as others have said.

However I am not a pacifist and I recognize that sometimes that the use of violence and war is a necessary evil. I am all for the liquidation of Boko Haram by any means.

1 Like

Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by davien(m): 11:05pm On Aug 16, 2014
My morality is defined as giving service to all humanity,giving,carrying and being good to everyone who don't pose a threat to myself...and causing minimal harm so as not to be paid in kind(actions carry equal reactions)....
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by Liveair: 9:42am On Aug 17, 2014
LOVE
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 17, 2014
The concept of Morality depends on the situation and circumstances there are no absolutes in this world.
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 17, 2014
The strongest will survive. Always.
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by uzoexcel(m): 11:39am On Aug 17, 2014
Apatheist: Non-theists-- atheists, agnostics, humanists, ati bee bee lo -- what is the basis of your morality?
How do you decide if something is "good" or "bad".

I am aware that morality is subjective.

I am busy now, Will post mine later.

"what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?"
--Plato
where's my name sad
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Aug 17, 2014
uzoexcel:
where's my name sad
Pele. Ndo. Make I add am.
Where do you fall?

1 Like

Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by Atigba: 1:09pm On Aug 18, 2014
Moral value as a benchmark mean different things to different people,it does not stress any basis for evaluation but to me conscience and doing what i believe to be right is my benchmark for morality.

1 Like

Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by Lucario007(m): 3:49pm On Aug 25, 2014
Is there a distinction between moral values and moral standards? While the word 'moral' is common, the distinction lies in the use of the words 'values' and 'standards'. The words 'moral values' is an apt description. This often denotes beliefs of a person or the social group in which they have an emotional investment. So moral values as benchmarks will mean different things to different people.

Personally, I base my own moral values on future consequences that each action will have. Formally stated, Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I use this as my own benchmark, for instance, will giving someone a ride in my car under the rain have positive or negative consequences? On one hand, I would have been helping someone who was in need, and he person may repay me, or on another hand, the person could turn out to be an ingrate or a robber or a thief of the likes.

Regardless, I help out anyway, not because 'one good turn deserves another' but because I decided that the future consequences have more in the way of good than harm.

My thoughts anyway.
over to you @ Apatheist
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by tpia6: 4:47am On Nov 24, 2014
Atigba:
Moral value as a benchmark mean different things to different people.

true
Re: Non-theists, What Is (are) The Benchmark(s) For Your Morality? by tpia6: 4:47am On Nov 24, 2014
FOOLFINDER:
The concept of Morality depends on the situation and circumstances there are no absolutes in this world.

also true

(1) (Reply)

Endtimes : From Peace & Safety To Desolation & Destruction - Jack Kelley / Why Do Muslims Run To Kafir Land For Help? / 1,300 Rivers Cultist Lay Arms Down At Deeper Life's Crusade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.