Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,440 members, 7,812,318 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? (5130 Views)

My Dog Is Going Blind :'( / Help, My Dog Is Dying!!! / Dog Breeders List Your Dog Kennel Or Current Puppy Litter Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Henrypraise: 8:17am On Aug 16, 2014
Dear pet lovers, pls I took my female caucasian to d vet 4 mating on the 22nd of july n d vet brought her back on the 24th, pls m askin how do I knw she took in? My dog is very rascal n play a lot, I was told to tie her legs but from time to time, she settles down n loose d rope/ any material I use in tyin her(very funny dog). But dis is abt 3 week afta she was brought bak n m not seeing any pregnancy sign, d only tin I notice is dat she now eats a lot. Pls how will I knw she took in? M also askin google n my findings will be pasted here.
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Apitch(m): 8:54am On Aug 16, 2014
The eating a lot should at least be one of the signs but I've not nurtured a pregnant dog before so I have no clue
How would u know what breed ur vet used for the mating? Anything could happen u know. I'm just skeptical
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Seun(m): 9:45am On Aug 16, 2014
Henrypraise: Dear pet lovers, pls I took my female caucasian to d vet 4 mating on the 22nd of july n d vet brought her back on the 24th, pls m askin how do I knw she took in?
Your vet should know how to find out. If he doesn't know then you should get a new vet immediately if you truly love your dog.

My dog is very rascal n play a lot, I was told to tie her legs
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The person that gave you this harmful & silly advice should chop koboko and so should you for following it! Please you need to stop tying your dog's legs. If she plays a lot is is because she is young and needs exercise. You should be playing games with her and taking her out for walks instead of tying her legs to prevent her from playing. Sir, no offence, but shame on you!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by mayorall(m): 11:46am On Aug 16, 2014
Seun:
Your vet should know how to find out. If he doesn't know then you should get a new vet immediately if you truly love your dog.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The person that gave you this harmful & silly advice should chop koboko and so should you for following it! Please you need to stop tying your dog's legs. If she plays a lot is is because she is young and needs exercise. You should be playing games with her and taking her out for walks instead of tying her legs to prevent her from playing. Sir, no offence, but shame on you!

ROTFL grin
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Henrypraise: 4:17pm On Aug 16, 2014
Seun:

Ur words even pass d koboko, howeva, d leg tyin I was told is to prevent her from playin too much so dat she doesn't stretch away d pregnancy, except u ar tellin me it does not apply or does not av any effect, I av stopped usin my vet, d guys name shuda bin jack d ripper, he is ripping d hell outer my pocket... I stopped using him immediately he brought bak my dog.
Apitch: The eating a lot should at least be one of the signs but I've not nurtured a pregnant dog before so I have no clue
How would u know what breed ur vet used for the mating? Anything could happen u know. I'm just skeptical

I lyk ur advice howeva, I visited n saw d stud dat was goin to lash my dog. It was a gud caucasian.
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Prodeegee(m): 3:00am On Aug 17, 2014
Henrypraise: Dear pet lovers, pls I took my female caucasian to d vet 4 mating on the 22nd of july n d vet brought her back on the 24th, pls m askin how do I knw she took in? My dog is very rascal n play a lot, I was told to tie her legs but from time to time, she settles down n loose d rope/ any material I use in tyin her(very funny dog). But dis is abt 3 week afta she was brought bak n m not seeing any pregnancy sign, d only tin I notice is dat she now eats a lot. Pls how will I knw she took in? M also askin google n my findings will be pasted here.

For the first three weeks or so of pregnancy, you may not notice any changes in the bitch. Some females will become more demanding for attention, their nipples may enlarge slightly, and some may become hungrier. These are not a guarantee of a pregnancy, but are good signs. Bitches can show the same signs during 'false pregnancy,' a hormonal abnormality, which may occur after a bitch has been in heat.
Several methods are available to determine pregnancy. A clear mucoid vaginal discharge may be seen. It is a reasonably reliable sign of pregnancy and is noticed about 4-5 weeks into pregnancy and continues until parturition. Ultrasound is able to pick up fetal heartbeats at about 28 days into gestation. This will not be able to determine the number of puppies but can give an estimate and can confirm a pregnancy. At about the same time, a veterinarian may be able to palpate the uterus and feel the fetuses. This may not be possible on a large dog or one that has the puppies under the rib cage. A blood test to check for pregnancy is available. It checks for the hormone, relaxin, which is produced when the fertilized egg implants. The test can be done about 28-30 days into the pregnancy. Small litter sizes (less than 3 puppies) may result in a false negative result.

1 Like

Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by SAMBARRY: 2:48pm On Aug 19, 2014
She becomes fatter, sleeps a lot, eats a lot and becomes dull tho it varies from dog to dog . However that was how I was able to detect mine was pregnant
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Seun(m): 2:04pm On Aug 20, 2014
Henrypraise: Ur words even pass d koboko, howeva, d leg tyin I was told is to prevent her from playin too much so dat she doesn't stretch away d pregnancy
Anyone who think's it is ok to tie a dog's legs for weeks isn't qualified to own a dog and shouldn't be allowed to breed dogs. Bleep the pregnancy.
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Henrypraise: 2:42pm On Aug 20, 2014
Seun:
Anyone who think's it is ok to tie a dog's legs for weeks isn't qualified to own a dog and shouldn't be allowed to breed dogs. Bleep the pregnancy.

Hey mister, tyin d dogs leg doesn't mean m gonna tie it till d rope eats/ cuts a wound (if dats y u soundin all activist), even pregnant women tie demsefs so dia pregnancy doesn't drop. If u tink its not okay to tie a dogs leg, giv oda options n stop acting/ cursing like a toddler, I tink we all learnin here.

1 Like

Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Seun(m): 2:58pm On Aug 20, 2014
even pregnant women tie demsefs so dia pregnancy doesn't drop.
Show me a picture or video of a pregnant woman tying herself or idontbilivit

Henrypraise: If u tink its not okay to tie a dogs leg, giv oda options
I already did, sir. I said bleep the pregnancy! Desist from the evil act of tying her legs. If the pregnancy is lost, then it's not meant to be.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Henrypraise: 3:25pm On Aug 20, 2014
Seun: Show me a picture or video of a pregnant woman tying herself or idontbilivit

I already did, sir. I said bleep the pregnancy! Desist from the evil act of tying her legs. If the pregnancy is lost, then it's not meant to be.

Gud, now u talkin, I tink des ar sum of d reasons y I am justified to have call it quit wit my vet, he did sell d tyin line to me, n m very naïve. Howeva, m not goin to take ur word for it, m gonna ask more kwesions n do a lil research
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Ishilove: 5:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
Prodeegee:

For the first three weeks or so of pregnancy, you may not notice any changes in the bitch. Some females will become more demanding for attention, their nipples may enlarge slightly, and some may become hungrier. These are not a guarantee of a pregnancy, but are good signs. Bitches can show the same signs during 'false pregnancy,' a hormonal abnormality, which may occur after a bitch has been in heat.
Several methods are available to determine pregnancy. A clear mucoid vaginal discharge may be seen. It is a reasonably reliable sign of pregnancy and is noticed about 4-5 weeks into pregnancy and continues until parturition. Ultrasound is able to pick up fetal heartbeats at about 28 days into gestation. This will not be able to determine the number of puppies but can give an estimate and can confirm a pregnancy. At about the same time, a veterinarian may be able to palpate the uterus and feel the fetuses. This may not be possible on a large dog or one that has the puppies under the rib cage. A blood test to check for pregnancy is available. It checks for the hormone, relaxin, which is produced when the fertilized egg implants. The test can be done about 28-30 days into the pregnancy. Small litter sizes (less than 3 puppies) may result in a false negative result.
Gross embarassed
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by emmyvet(m): 11:16pm On Aug 20, 2014
Seun:

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The person that gave you this harmful & silly advice should chop koboko and so should you for following it! Please you need to stop tying your dog's legs.
No offense sir just asking Do you have a female dog?
If she plays a lot is is because she is young and needs exercise. You should be playing games with her
Playing games with pregnant dog? Somehow, which kind of game? and taking her out for walks[b]Good[/b] instead of tying her legs to prevent her from playing. Sir, no offence, but shame on you!

Sir if you understand what pregnancy is you will know that is a game of 50:50, crossing a leg Chain(it will give the dog a chance to move but not run)that will make the dog to play,jump,run less and even attacking unnecessarily for me is doing the dog good not bad and Most important saving her from pregnancy problems.
Dogs are dogs a pregnant woman knows she is pregnant but your dog may not until is late exoecially the first pregnacy.

3 Likes

Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Tookie977: 3:06am On Aug 21, 2014
Prodeegee:

That's basically pregnancy detection for dummies all u need to knw. To add I think the guy u call ur Vet is not a veterinarian just one of the many quacks operating around. The reason for tying dogs up I don't get... It's just cruelty to dogs... For the first 3weeks just keep i.e. Dog from seeing strangers and getting all excited same for the Last 2-3week and feed well. Pregnancy diagnosis can be trick in addition to the quote. Taking ur dog to a Vet surgeon at 3week's intervals after mating is not a bad idea.
At this stage u should also notice significant behavioural changes in ur bitch... Digging, looking for cool places to laylow, pickingstuff and keeping a toy nest.and yeah she will get royally naughty. Things she know not to do.. She will do to see you reaction once u let them slide expect to find her on your bed. My Rottweiler did that recently smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by darmylolah(m): 6:45pm On Aug 22, 2014
Tookie977:

That's basically pregnancy detection for dummies all u need to knw. To add I think the guy u call ur Vet is not a veterinarian just one of the many quacks operating around. The reason for tying dogs up I don't get... It's just cruelty to dogs... For the first 3weeks just keep i.e. Dog from seeing strangers and getting all excited same for the Last 2-3week and feed well. Pregnancy diagnosis can be trick in addition to the quote. Taking ur dog to a Vet surgeon at 3week's intervals after mating is not a bad idea.
At this stage u should also notice significant behavioural changes in ur bitch... Digging, looking for cool places to laylow, pickingstuff and keeping a toy nest.and yeah she will get royally naughty. Things she know not to do.. She will do to see you reaction once u let them slide expect to find her on your bed. My Rottweiler did that recently smiley
Yes boss...integrity representing...we serve a noble profession.
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by otswag(m): 10:49pm On Aug 23, 2014
Henrypraise:

Hey mister, tyin d dogs leg doesn't mean m gonna tie it till d rope eats/ cuts a wound (if dats y u soundin all activist), even pregnant women tie demsefs so dia pregnancy doesn't drop. If u tink its not okay to tie a dogs leg, giv oda options n stop acting/ cursing like a toddler, I tink we all learnin here.
Erm, in which alternate universe did u hear that pregnant women tie themselves to prevent a miscarriage grin grin
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by Henrypraise: 10:56pm On Aug 23, 2014
otswag: Erm, in which alternate universe did u hear that pregnant women tie themselves to prevent a miscarriage grin grin

From Mars n jupiter.

I heard dat de tie at d waist abi lower abdomen to sumhow giv support to d formin baby. I may be wrong. M gona ask google right now.
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by otswag(m): 11:02pm On Aug 23, 2014
Henrypraise:

From Mars n jupiter.

I heard dat de tie at d waist abi lower abdomen to sumhow giv support to d formin baby. I may be wrong. M gona ask google right now.
Don't bother. I doubt u will get that info from google. grin well, I've seen alot more ridiculous practices frm ngrians so I choose not to be surprised cheesy
Re: How To Know If Your Dog Is Pregnant? by wahabdisu: 12:53pm On Nov 08, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Any Vibrant Dog For Adoption? Excluding Nigeria Bingos / Four Months Male Brindle Boerboel Pup For Sale / Long Coated German shepherd pups for sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.