Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,248 members, 7,829,455 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings (12417 Views)

Lekki Gardens Welfare Team Re-visit Survivors Of Collapsed Building (photos) / Ambode Inspects Site Of Collapsed Lekki Gardens Building (photos) / New Hope For Owners Of Lands That Are Under Government Acquisition In Lekki/ajah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by ademoladeji(m): 12:40pm On Aug 17, 2014
dolphpaul: im an Engineer A COREN member by the way.Its sad hearing a learned man and leader of many talking this way.Is it the fault of the owner or as a result of using sub standard materials.How many so civil Engineers are qualified to be called structural Engineers.The fault is partially the house owner but fully the supervising Engineer.just all in the name of making money.A good Engineer is after a good name than money.
What of instances a house gets burnt due to power surge and every bodi says its from PHCN.No its from the substandard material.Every cable has its withstanding max voltage.
To me sorry to say,Coren is just a monetary body and not supervisory.
I really doubt your status. A COREN member? Do not impersonate please. We don't have COREN members buh COREN registered Engineer.

1 Like

Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Fxwarrior: 12:50pm On Aug 17, 2014
mployer:
Kill building owner and free quack engineers that did the construction

Madness at its peak. Will you also kill Dangote, governors, senators, the President as well as their contractors. As usual this is witch hunting and attack on the poor alone.
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Awoofawo(m): 12:53pm On Aug 17, 2014
mployer:

Exactly what come to my mind....wetin accountant, doctor, driver and the rest of us know about (we be building or civil engineer ni)?

I given you money say, make you build me house, you go cut corner and when the house fall yakata for ground, na me go come die for your baddo?! Your fada!!! cool

1 Like

Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by CzarChris(m): 1:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
duni04:
You don't just make draconian laws like that. What if there's a really heavy thunderstorm and a building collapses?
The best form of regulation against building collapse is enforcing strict adherance to building codes, and increasing the capacity of regulatory agencies to properly investigate building collapses so when a building collapses, we know exactly why it collapsed, and not just blindly critizing people.
Last time I checked, a judge doesn't just sentence someone without a hearing, at least the owner would produce documents of the building includiing the structural design/plan endorsed with a COREN stamp by an authorised member/registered engineer and the plan would scrutinized if the BS codes where adhered to.
On being draconian, desperate times demand desperate measures, my thoughts though.
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Jeezuzpick(m): 1:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
dolphpaul: im an Engineer A COREN member by the way.Its sad hearing a learned man and leader of many talking this way.Is it the fault of the owner or as a result of using sub standard materials.How many so civil Engineers are qualified to be called structural Engineers.The fault is partially the house owner but fully the supervising Engineer.just all in the name of making money.A good Engineer is after a good name than money.
What of instances a house gets burnt due to power surge and every bodi says its from PHCN.No its from the substandard material.Every cable has its withstanding max voltage.
To me sorry to say,Coren is just a monetary body and not supervisory.

Bro, I'm also a COREN registered Civil Engineer, and I can say that most building owners in Nigeria don't patronize us professionals for their projects. They prefer quacks "Baba Risi and sons construction company", because they help them build "cheaper".

I have lost my job because I stood my ground and caused my boss to bring down a building built with substandard blocks. I lost another job months after getting it because the Company is using concrete below the design.grade, and I spoke against it.

Well, calling for the death sentence for owning a collapsed building is only so much hot air, but the owners pay the piper and expect to dictate the tune. A lot of Engineers only want to protect their "garri " and so compromise themselves for job security.

I suffered a lot because of my convictions and was out of a job for the best part of the last 2 years. Will I stand up to my employer again? Probably.

I feel a very hefty fine and compensation for injury or death due to the building collapse may do well enough.

2 Likes

Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Fadelex(m): 1:10pm On Aug 17, 2014
numericalguy:

Guy! cool down, your blood too dey hot grin grin grin

Any building construction should involve qualified professional like Electrical engineers, Builders, Architects, Surveyors, Mechanical engineers and Civil engineers. Builders alone cannot handle everything. grin
I have worked in construction sites with all the above guys and all I can say is that we are a team.
I understand you but COREN has enough in their cupboard already, they should just allow corbon to deal with building construction
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by CzarChris(m): 1:14pm On Aug 17, 2014
Okijajuju1:

This comment is what you get when your solution to a problem is based more on sentiments than on sound reasoning.
Dude as an ardent follower/liker of your comments here on nl, all I can say is I'm disappointed with this your comment. So asking someone to use professionals to do his job is being sentimental abi? I'm sentimental then agreed.
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 17, 2014
mployer:
Was thinking the same thing
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Jeezuzpick(m): 1:16pm On Aug 17, 2014
Whizpeter: COREN nko.. COREN ni..
How many COREN members do you see in construction sites nowadays??
Their normal lifestyle every weekday z.. Wake up in an air-conditioned house, drive in an air-conditioned car, sign cheques in an air-conditioned office, withdraw whooping sums of money at an air-conditioned bank, spend time with some cheap harlots in an air-conditioned hotel room and then return at night to their air-conditioned houses...
While they are enjoying themselves, their so Site Engineers are left to do all the work at the site.. At the end of the month, they receive a paltry sum of money as salary...
Now when that building collapses due to the mistake of the structural engineer who lacked supervision from his Oga At The Top, the COREN member would scream "Kill the Owner"
At times sef, the big Ogas pass the blame for the collapsed building on the poor site engineers..
I as a Civil Engineering Student decided a long time ago that I would have nothing to do with COREN... That council z all about politics...
Oh Nigeria, My dear country, I weep for thee...

Hey, Guy.......

Plenty COREN Registered Engineers dey for site o!

I am one!

Please get registered as soon as you can. It may open doors when you least expect.
I know my own big break is around the corner!

It's always better for an opportunity to meet you prepared.

1 Like

Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by duni04(m): 1:19pm On Aug 17, 2014
CzarChris: Last time I checked, a judge doesn't just sentence someone without a hearing, at least the owner would produce documents of the building includiing the structural design/plan endorsed with a COREN stamp by an authorised member/registered engineer and the plan would scrutinized if the BS codes where adhered to.
On being draconian, desperate times demand desperate measures, my thoughts though.
Oh i'm afraid that's not the case in Nigeria. Lets not all forget that obnoxious Anti kidnapping law in Anambra state where buildings housing kidnappers are pulled down, even without any court process. Somone just reads on the news that kidnappers stayed in a particular building and the next thing they do is pull the building down. With the way things work in Nigeria, people will just be killed immediately their buildings collapse without any investigation whatsoever.
Lets allow the law take its course. If a building owner is found guilty of using substandard building materials or not consulting adequately before erecting a building (after proper investigations have been carried out) he should be charged to court with involuntary manslaughter if anyone dies in the building collapse, or reckless negligence if there are no fatalities. Very simple. Lets implement the extant laws first instead of grandstanding and playing around with death sentencing.

1 Like

Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by CzarChris(m): 1:21pm On Aug 17, 2014
Three7Ty9:

Please tell them oh bros.
BTW: you've got a pm sir.
yeah, I got your pm, but you failed to mention your discipline in engineering and experience level.
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 17, 2014
there are multiple possible points of failure finding the root cause of building collapse

design [the possibility that the building may not even have been designed by an engineer in the first place]. . very often, an architect or draftsman may just copy paste some old drawings, or use his experience. during approval, once the right people are settled, all the necessary stamps from coren registered engineers and building agencies are added. design has passed muster

specification [ the design engineer may have put the wrong spec of materials required for building structure] improper mix of concrete, improper schedule of pipe, etc

owner the owner may not be willing to spend Bleep millions on a building, and will then engage someone who can do it for less than the estimates provided by professionals. this someone may cut corners that should not be cut.the baba suwe builder who hs been building houses for 20 years [ understands the how but not the why]

contractor [ a contractor may be paid in full , may be provided with all the right designs documentation , etc, but because of greed and the desire for 300% ptofit, will choose to skimp on materials. it may even be worse, while the oga of the construction company intends to do the right thing, his boys cut corners behind his back , putting 20cubic meters of gravel where 15 cubic were recommended]

dubious materials retailers [one of the biggest banes of the construction industry. the people who will sell you substandard materials, cleverly disguised as the original thing. if you are not experienced or in contact with very honest sellers, you can quickly get into trouble. it is a very real problem that i have been a victim of in the past. i specified a cable sized 95mm as a replacement. this cable came to over 1 million naira. the contractor installed it , we signed off. two months later, the cable started overheating [signs of cable being undersized'] i went over my calculations , checked everywhere - i could not understand what the issue was. eventually we replaced the cable with an even larger size. a different contractor did the replacement. during the replacement, i was called aside and shown that teh cable was actually 70mmsq. someone has scraped off the size and stamped 95mm on the cable. no way of knowing if it was the original contractor, his supplier, or the two of them conniving]

crooked professionals [yes you can engage professionals to design, monitor and supervise your project. the sad thing is that they may be your typical nigerians, who are bent on ripping you off for every kobo. they make up issues for additional money , refuse to sign off on contractors work unless they are settled. once a supervising engineer is compromised, your project is in trouble, because there is no one to put the contractor in check. in my earlier days when i visited sites harassing contractors and challenging them on defects, it was 90% the same reaction - they would hastily pull me aside and make an offering - because for them, all the noise was a demand for settlement.

greedy government supervisors. these government agencies are wholly interested in one thing only - money and settlement. no better than frsc who can give driving licenses to blind men or vio that will certify trucks that should be condemned as road worthy. and a lot of these chest thumping coren throwing around 'professionals' are the worst - the masters of copying and pasting without any clear understanding of the principles

3 Likes

Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Lagbaja425(m): 1:27pm On Aug 17, 2014
I just cry inside when I read daft articles like this...
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by CzarChris(m): 1:27pm On Aug 17, 2014
duni04:
Oh i'm afraid that's not the case in Nigeria. Lets not all forget that obnoxious Anti kidnapping law in Anambra state where buildings housing kidnappers are pulled down, even without any court process. Somone just reads on the news that kidnappers stayed in a particular building and the next thing they do is pull the building down. With the way things work in Nigeria, people will just be killed immediately their buildings collapse without any investigation whatsoever.
Lets allow the law take its course. If a building owner is found guilty of using substandard building materials or not consulting adequately before erecting a building (after proper investigations have been carried out) he should be charged to court with involuntary manslaughter if anyone dies in the building collapse, or reckless negligence if there are no fatalities. Very simple. Lets implement the extant laws first instead of grandstanding and playing around with death sentencing.
Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but if you where in the field and you see how qualified engineers are vilified both here and abroad just because of the actions of these quacks you'd sound otherwise.
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 17, 2014

1 Like

Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by pheesayor(m): 1:35pm On Aug 17, 2014
Welcomed development, so many distressed buildings in ebutte meta, even some that are barely 5 years
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Missmossy(f): 1:36pm On Aug 17, 2014
honeric01:

Singapore, Japan, China e.t.c, including some states in the US use capital punishment and it's working for them. so what's with you and the 'nigerian ways' ?
Rubbish! Read properly next time before you spill trash. Do you have to quote me? I wonder how what i said itches your body,nonsense!
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by j2012(m): 1:57pm On Aug 17, 2014
oyb: there are multiple possible points of failure finding the root cause of building collapse

design [the possibility that the building may not even have been designed by an engineer in the first place]. . very often, an architect or draftsman may just copy paste some old drawings, or use his experience. during approval, once the right people are settled, all the necessary stamps from coren registered engineers and building agencies are added. design has passed muster

specification [ the design engineer may have put the wrong spec of materials required for building structure] improper mix of concrete, improper schedule of pipe, etc

owner the owner may not be willing to spend Bleep millions on a building, and will then engage someone who can do it for less than the estimates provided by professionals. this someone may cut corners that should not be cut.the baba suwe builder who hs been building houses for 20 years [ understands the how but not the why]

contractor [ a contractor may be paid in full , may be provided with all the right designs documentation , etc, but because of greed and the desire for 300% ptofit, will choose to skimp on materials. it may even be worse, while the oga of the construction company intends to do the right thing, his boys cut corners behind his back , putting 20cubic meters of gravel where 15 cubic were recommended]

dubious materials retailers [one of the biggest banes of the construction industry. the people who will sell you substandard materials, cleverly disguised as the original thing. if you are not experienced or in contact with very honest sellers, you can quickly get into trouble. it is a very real problem that i have been a victim of in the past. i specified a cable sized 95mm as a replacement. this cable came to over 1 million naira. the contractor installed it , we signed off. two months later, the cable started overheating [signs of cable being undersized'] i went over my calculations , checked everywhere - i could not understand what the issue was. eventually we replaced the cable with an even larger size. a different contractor did the replacement. during the replacement, i was called aside and shown that teh cable was actually 70mmsq. someone has scraped off the size and stamped 95mm on the cable. no way of knowing if it was the original contractor, his supplier, or the two of them conniving]

crooked professionals [yes you can engage professionals to design, monitor and supervise your project. the sad thing is that they may be your typical nigerians, who are bent on ripping you off for every kobo. they make up issues for additional money , refuse to sign off on contractors work unless they are settled. once a supervising engineer is compromised, your project is in trouble, because there is no one to put the contractor in check. in my earlier days when i visited sites harassing contractors and challenging them on defects, it was 90% the same reaction - they would hastily pull me aside and make an offering - because for them, all the noise was a demand for settlement.

greedy government supervisors. these government agencies are wholly interested in one thing only - money and settlement. no better than frsc who can give driving licenses to blind men or vio that will certify trucks that should be condemned as road worthy. and a lot of these chest thumping coren throwing around 'professionals' are the worst - the masters of copying and pasting without any clear understanding of the principles

Best response so far.
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by felifeli: 1:58pm On Aug 17, 2014
Omooba77: As part of moves to sanitise the building and construction industries to minimise building collapse and shoddy construction jobs, the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria, COREN, has stressed the urgency for a law to make owners of buildings that collapse as a result of using quacks or cheap materials and kill people to be visited with capital punishment.President of the institution, Kashim Ali, likened the situation to that of medical doctors who were charged with murder if, as a result of carelessness or quackery, they cause the death of their patients.He spoke yesterday at a news briefing to herald the 23rd Engineering Assembly scheduled for August 19 and 20 in Abuja as part of COREN’s efforts to update members’ knowledge, share ideas on emerging issues in engineering and to network.Its theme is “Commercialising Engineering: An Imperative for National Development.”Noting that he was underscoring the need for a major deterrent such as death penalty for building collapse in Nigeria because they were thoroughly embarrassed by the incidence, Ali said: “We have advocated that anybody who builds a house or structure that collapses and kills people should be killed.So, if that law is there, people who are not trained will not venture into it. If somebody who is a doctor commits quackery and kills somebody, they will charge him or her for murder, but not in the case of collapsed buildings; nobody is charged.“Often, because people who have these structures always have a way around the situation, nobody deals with them. That is why we are urging the National Assembly to go a step further.”He also lamented that although COREN had been using the police to deal with the incidence of building collapse in the past, it had not had the desired impact because “we found that the people who they charged to court were only the poor people. It’s that mason who calls himself an engineer that was being taken to court. The real person who got a million naira project would not go to court.”He explained that it was to find a more capable institution to handle the situation that his organisation decided to partner with the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offence Commission, ICPC.According to Ali, their apparent fixation with quackery was because it was the greatest challenge to the engineering profession.Still in pursuance of an industry free of irregularities, COREN has ordered all registrable firms to register with it, saying it was now compulsory and any defaulter would be handed over to the ICPC.“COREN recently signed an MoU with the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offence Commission, ICPC, to prosecute people who commit infraction of COREN Act and are not on the register.“Directly connected to the above is the recent order of Council that Registry must commence the licensing of engineering firms to practise in Nigeria.“By this, it is now compulsory for the following categories of engineering firms to procure COREN licence to practice: Engineering consulting firms; engineering construction firms; engineering manufacturing/production firms; engineering maintenance and service providers; engineering inspection, testing and laboratory service firms; and vendors of engineering machineries, equipment, plants and materials, etc”, Ali said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/coren-wants-death-sentence-for-owners-of-collapsed-buildings/186477/

And what should be punishment for engineer who does a substandard design ? He should be beheaded ?
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Okijajuju1(m): 2:36pm On Aug 17, 2014
CzarChris: Dude as an ardent follower/liker of your comments here on nl, all I can say is I'm disappointed with this your comment. So asking someone to use professionals to do his job is being sentimental abi? I'm sentimental then agreed.

Well, I apologize if you took Offence to my comment but it still stands none the less..

I am currently building my house and thanks to my years of experience supervising the building of some of my fathers properties and interacting with site supervisors and architects, I can say I am quite knowledgable in building technology but not everyone is. An example of one of the challenges I have encountered was that the property developer (the company the house was bought from) used substandard materials all over the house. I even had to do an inspection of the beams and pillars to make sure they used the right gauge of rods for them. The electrical wires used all around the house were aluminum cables which we all know are cheaper and heat up quickly and can cause a house fire.. Now imagine how many of my neighbors are living with this problem unknowingly.

You can't punish a property owner outrightly for something that could have been caused by several unforeseen factors ranging from but not limited to:

1. The greed of his Builder who opts for substandard materials or even uses incorrect materials knowingly to save cost for his pocket.

2. Natural factors like 'creep' or mass wasting in some cases.

3. Substandard cement from the manufacturers or adulterated cement (which can fool even the most experienced builder)

4. Substandard rods that are highly malleable which are currently available in the market and can be passed off as the top grade ones.

5. Poor structural building plan which can cause poor distribution of weight and thus lead to failure..

E.t.c..

You can't blame a home owner until it is proven that he deliberately short changed on materials and building quality to save cost. I would rather attack the building regulatory body for not doing their jobs. I worked in construction in Canada during my stay their for a building construction company and they had to inspect every stage of work we did before it was done especially the basement setting and layout, the insulation for heat and the electricals.

So my disappointment in your comment was your rush to stand with this rather barbaric suggestion of killing home owners without proper regard for the several other factors that could lead to a buildings failure.

Thanks,

4 Likes

Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Skmoda360(m): 2:49pm On Aug 17, 2014
J12: Crude and barbaric
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Skmoda360(m): 2:52pm On Aug 17, 2014
GlorifiedTunde: Death sentence? undecided They kind of deserve it sha.

I also want death sentence for rapists angry

+ boko haram
+ Ebola victims who ran away
+ pokithiefcians
+ ...
thatz a bit harsh
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 17, 2014
Owners or builders?
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 17, 2014
CzarChris: yeah, I got your pm, but you failed to mention your discipline in engineering and experience level.

Ok chief, I have responded accordingly.
Regards,
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Whizpeter(m): 3:33pm On Aug 17, 2014
barcanista: guy na Airconditioner be the problem ni?

But their stupid lifestyle... They hardly find solutions to real time problems
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Whizpeter(m): 3:37pm On Aug 17, 2014
Okijajuju1:

This comment is what you get when your solution to a problem is based more on sentiments than on sound reasoning.

Lol...
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by Whizpeter(m): 3:40pm On Aug 17, 2014
CzarChris: I'm really surprised at the comments above, its funny how most people reason.
Look at it this way you have a a loved one who happens to be killed in a collapsed building, all because the landlord decided to cut corners and use an unqualified individual to build his house and most of these buildings don't even have a structural design plan, the nature of the soil in that area is not put into consideration and the quack engineer(mason in most cases) use his experience in area A to build in area B.
My people say when you see the dead body of an unrelated person it looks like a log of wood, just wait till it happens to you then I'll see if you'll even wait for a court judgment before you strangle both the landlord and the quack 'engineer'.
As a professional, I support this law if ever its passed.
Also remember that it's usually mass slaughter when a building collapse.

NB: @Whizpeter, that COREN official that you say moves from airconditioned this to that was once a site engineer, he has paid his dues and is now riping the benefits. Don't hate son, only pray you'll reach his level or even exceed it. Then you can boast all you want.

Kk
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by bollify(m): 6:10pm On Aug 17, 2014
If my memory is not failing me, i think my lecturer taught me in skul dat if any engineer's work should fail as a result of using substandard materials, the engineer shall be prosecuted as an engineer is not and should never negotiate quality. He further explained that d said owner can sue the engineer for the damages caused because he is suppose to have advice him strongly as a professional never to compromise quality. So is this suppose to be part of the new engineering ethics? Coren please I don't understand this o.
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by toyindebare(m): 7:53pm On Aug 17, 2014
COREN or what do they call themselve?. Corrupt politicians are walking around freely yet this clueless group wants capital punishment for owner of collapse building. Are they high on weed?. The engineer should be brought to book not the owner.
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by zurine(f): 8:37pm On Aug 17, 2014
wow
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by honeric01(m): 11:01pm On Aug 17, 2014
Missmossy:
Rubbish! Read properly next time before you spill trash. Do you have to quote me? I wonder how what i said itches your body,nonsense!

As usual, the usual dirty attitude of throwing insults up and down when you are countered. tell me, is this the best way to respond to what i said?
Re: COREN Wants Death Sentence For Owners Of Collapsed Buildings by harleydaveson(m): 10:54pm On Aug 18, 2014
na engr suppose suffer am

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Enjoy good discount on Aluminium Windows,Stainless Steel Handrails works / ROXBURY HOMES, LEKKI (Pictures).. / 2 UNITS OF 3BEDROOM FLAT FOR SALE IN IKORODU !!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.