Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,051 members, 7,814,605 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? (1800 Views)

From Pastor To Atheist: Why I Will Never Be A Christian Again / Atheist, Agnostic And Humanist Memes Reloaded... / To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by priest2u(m): 5:47am On Aug 17, 2014
would like to know . Thanks
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 17, 2014
Not in the least.

It's theists who have things to fear-- their "loving god" might send them to "hell" for eating Ham.
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Nobody: 8:10am On Aug 17, 2014
No, death is not to be feared, it is not the end but a transition. however, the human mind has been programmed to fear death by some fallacious doctrines of eternal hell, etc, in attempts to enslave humans and prevent them from attaining true spiritual growth and mental evolution.
In all, 'there is a circle of life' , a reality many will never understand under the umbrella of organized religions. death is a phase in the circle of life's macrocosm, though hardly believed by many due to religious-cobwebbed mentality.

1 Like

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by UrbanMystique: 8:20am On Aug 17, 2014
not afraid of death... only afraid of dieing without symbolizing something positive.. i wanna die like mandela, 2pac, bill gate(when he dies), eisten, fela, etc. not like rats like boko haram or an unknown soldier.

4 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by onetrack(m): 8:20am On Aug 17, 2014
I am not afraid of being dead. It will be the same state as it was before I was born. I do, however, have some apprehension about the way in which I will die (painful or terrifying).

3 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by priest2u(m): 8:32am On Aug 17, 2014
Another question, do you guys believe in judgement? what will happen to Boko Haram, ISIS , Al-Qaeda and every evil people that die while escaping the world justice system? They love to shed innocent blood and many will escape the world justice system, so who will make them pay for the many lives that were cut short ?
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Liveair: 9:30am On Aug 17, 2014
Since death is not evil, why fear it?
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 17, 2014
The final experience. grin
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 17, 2014
priest2u: Another question, do you guys believe in judgement? what will happen to Boko Haram, ISIS , Al-Qaeda and every evil people that die while escaping the world justice system? They love to shed innocent blood and many will escape the world justice system, so who will make them pay for the many lives that were cut short ?
Man. That's why we have armed forces and a justice system.

By the way, aren't we supposed to forgive them?
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by AtheistD(m): 10:33am On Aug 17, 2014
I have had near death experiences as an atheist. I did not even have time to utter prayers to the infinite almighty God that I had changed and did not want an eternity in hell grin grin grin grin. I was too busy trying to stay alive cool. In my heart and mind I am certain there are no deities so I never made any effort to go through a deathbed recantation.

What would be the point? If you are going to die you are going to die. Nothing will change that. I do not fear death based on my experiences.

1 Like

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 17, 2014
"Death, therefore, the most awful of evils is nothing to us, seeing that when we are, death is not come, and when death is come, we are not." ~ Epicurus, one of the greats of ancient Greece.

I can certainly tell you that my deconversion has made me less afraid of death and dying too, as a matter of fact, it made me less afraid of anything else. Hell was my greatest FEAR and since it "(in the words of the holy book: ) lost it's grip on me" I feel freer and more ready for death when it comes. Steve Jobs in his 2005 commemorative speech at Stanford (great speech btw) articulates it very well for me: "Remembering that you're going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already nakéd. There is no reason not to follow your heart."
But, frankly, its a poignant feeling to think that it all ends here, like we just snuff out and that's it. But I don't bother myself with that sha, I'm too busy living the ONE life I have now...

2 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by priest2u(m): 3:02pm On Aug 17, 2014
Xcapist: "Death, therefore, the most awful of evils is nothing to us, seeing that when we are, death is not come, and when death is come, we are not." ~ Epicurus, one of the greats of ancient Greece.

I can certainly tell you that my deconversion has made me less afraid of death and dying too, as a matter of fact, it made me less afraid of anything else. Hell was my greatest FEAR and since it "(in the words of the holy book: ) lost it's grip on me" I feel freer and more ready for death when it comes. Steve Jobs in his 2005 commemorative speech at Stanford (great speech btw) articulates it very well for me: "Remembering that you're going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already nakéd. There is no reason not to follow your heart."
But, frankly, its a poignant feeling to think that it all ends here, like we just snuff out and that's it. But I don't bother myself with that sha, I'm too busy living the ONE life I have now...
Even without religion , I still don't believe everything ends here. I believe there is going to be a judgement after death because of the great evil I'm seeing the world. Also the world justice system is corrupt and many are escaping judgement , there is going to be a perfect judgement and a perfect judge who will reward every soul for all their deeds both good and evil.

1 Like

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by qstar(m): 4:22pm On Aug 17, 2014
priest2u:
Even without religion , I still don't believe everything ends here. I believe there is going to be a judgement after death because of the great evil I'm seeing the world. Also the world justice system is corrupt and many are escaping judgement , there is going to be a perfect judgement and a perfect judge who will reward every soul for all their deeds both good and evil.

This is a weird world you know, Christians may be on the wrongside of belief, likewise Muslims, Buddhists, Taoists, Pagans, etc.
What is supposed to be the basis of this "perfect" judgement you propose. Deeds or belief/label?

2 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by AtheistD(m): 4:49pm On Aug 17, 2014
qstar:

This is a weird world you know, Christians maybe on the wrongside of belief, likewise Muslims, Buddhists, Taoists, Pagans, etc.
What is supposed to be the basis of this "perfect" judgement you propose. Deeds or belief?

How can deeds be judged without taking into account the society that the deeds were carried out. Would slave owners back in the 1400s etc be judged as right or wrong? Slavery was acceptable in 1400s in most parts of the world. It is unacceptable today.

Take into account morality. Biblical morality is non standardised. Old Testament morality is different to New Testament morality. Can those living in the Old Testament time (eye for an eye) be judged according to the laws of the New Testament (grace, love thy neighbour etc)? Has any Christian thought about it?

What about today? Will Christians be judged according to how they live today or how people lived during the early days of the gospel (Acts of Apostles period circa 200 etc)?

2 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Seun(m): 5:13pm On Aug 17, 2014
Nobody who is mentally ok wants to die. Anyone who claims not to fear death is either seriously depressed, deeply brainwashed, in denial, or a liar and hypocrite. The fear of death is normal & healthy. It motivates us to take life-saving precautions e.g. using condoms & seatbelts.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 17, 2014
priest2u:
you're obviously not an atheist. I'm not exactly one either. I'm a pantheist (which to religious people is one and the same). I also use to struggle with the thought that rapists, terrorists, murderers, etc will "escape" punishment by dying. And I now think it's because we as humans have a strong sense of justice , that every one must reap what they sow, which I don't think it outlives our lives if there's plain nothing after we die. But if it makes you feel better, there are diverse versions of the afterlife that are less punishing than eternal hell for defaulters (if you have a problem with hell). And it may comfort you to know that a Quantum physicist has allegely proved "afterlife" by his theory of Biocentrism. His name is Lanzi in case you want to check it out (Spoiler alert: it's a rather freakish theory, it was hard wrapping my mind around it). And there's one Dr. Steven Laureys who studies Near Dead Experiences (NDEs) if you want to check that out too. Most of the people that he studied (possibly all), ubiquitously agree that it is even "more real that reality". Most of them, though, see Jesus or Mohammed or Buddha or a dead relative etc at some point, depending on the paradigm of belief when they were alive. Personally, I think it maybe just vivid hallucination that can be explain scientifically. And recently an agnostic medical doctor, Dr. Eben Alexander experienced an NDE and wrote a book about it. He claims that his brain was in no state to hallucinate during the experience. But I'm a little skeptical about all that since the book became a bestseller, I think the whole story was monetarily motivated.
Share your thoughts

1 Like

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by qstar(m): 5:27pm On Aug 17, 2014
Seun: Nobody who is mentally ok wants to die. Anyone who claims not to fear death is either seriously depressed, deeply brainwashed, in denial, or a liar and hypocrite.

Fear of death is an unnecessary burden. It may be a health problem. There's no phobia that cuts across all.
That does not mean that one should deliberately kill oneself.

Do you fear failure?

2 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 17, 2014
Lmfao.

Seun: Nobody who is mentally ok wants to die.
Let me get this right. Would you live forever if you could?

Seun:
Anyone who claims not to fear death is either seriously depressed, deeply brainwashed, in denial, or a liar and hypocrite.
I think it's you who's seriously depressed or brainwashed. Death will come, it is inevitable. Why waste a lifetime bothering about death? It will come whether you like it or not. You'll die someday. Better get used to it.

Seun:
The fear of death is normal & healthy.
I do not agree. This is the result of growing up in a society that sees death as evil, rather than a natural occurrence in nature. That's why you have churches fleecing members of hard-earned cash so they'd be granted divine protection from untimely death. It's totally unhealthy to waste and expend so much energy 'chasing' death.

And please, do not confuse danger with death.

2 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by texanomaly(f): 6:12pm On Aug 17, 2014
I am not Atheist. I could not just pass by this comment though.

Seun:

Nobody who is mentally ok wants to die. Anyone who claims not to fear death is either seriously depressed, deeply brainwashed, in denial, or a liar and hypocrite.

Wow! shocked Those are some harsh words. I disagree with your second sentence. It is not strange or unusual to NOT fear death. It is a logical end to this life. Everyone dies. It WILL happen.
There is no need to fear something we already know will happen.

Seun:
The fear of death is normal & healthy. It motivates us to take life-saving precautions e.g. using condoms & seatbelts.

I am not afraid of death. I know it will come for me one day. It is better to have a "healthy" respect for life, and do whatever is in your power to keep yourself and your family safe.

I have friends and family members who have had children die before they do. I do worry about this happening. There are also small children who lose their parents at a young age.

No matter when it happens, someone is affected by it. Remember to always tell those you care about that you love them when you say goodbye. It may be the last thing they hear from you.

Don't fear death. Respect life, and live as if death can come at any moment.

3 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Oduduwaboy(m): 6:13pm On Aug 17, 2014
No , sir! Death is only a part of the evolutionary process whereby the genetic pool of every biological species is improved upon.

The afterlife is nothing more than the wishful thinking of the human species which had attained intelligence by Evolution over 4 billion years.

1 Like

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Sunymoore(m): 6:39pm On Aug 17, 2014
We'll all die one day
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Kay17: 7:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
It is a base instinct of man to fear the Unknown. It shows more of ourselves to us.
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Seun(m): 7:18pm On Aug 17, 2014
@texanomaly: What is your definition of fear of death? If you're in a plane and the engines suddenly explode and it starts hurtling towards the ground, will your heart not start beating faster? Will you not shout and cry or sob quietly on your seat? Will you smile and crack jokes?
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 17, 2014
Seun: @texanomaly: What is your definition of fear of death? If you're in a plane and the engines suddenly explode and it starts hurtling towards the ground, will your heart not start beating faster? Will you not shout and cry or sob quietly on your seat? Will you smile and crack jokes?
Oga, that's a normal reaction when one is in danger or harm's way.

A better example would be if one is diagnosed with cancer and has a few days to live.

4 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 17, 2014
texanomaly: I am not Atheist. I could not just pass by this comment though.
Wow! shocked Those are some harsh words. I disagree with your second sentence. It is not strange or unusual to NOT fear death. It is a logical end to this life. Everyone dies. It WILL happen.
There is no need to fear something we already know will happen.
I am not afraid of death. I know it will come for me one day. It is better to have a "healthy" respect for life, and do whatever is in your power to keep yourself and your family safe.
I have friends and family members who have had children die before they do. I do worry about this happening. There are also small children who lose their parents at a young age.
No matter when it happens, someone is affected by it. Remember to always tell those you care about that you love them when you say goodbye. It may be the last thing they hear from you.
Don't fear death. Respect life, and live as if death can come at any moment.

angry

smiley
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Kay17: 7:46pm On Aug 17, 2014
priest2u:

That's a sentiment the powerless possess. Imaginary vengeance. It is the worst type of vengeance, it is like masturbation or voyeurism.

2 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by AtheistD(m): 7:54pm On Aug 17, 2014
Seun: Nobody who is mentally ok wants to die. Anyone who claims not to fear death is either seriously depressed, deeply brainwashed, in denial, or a liar and hypocrite. The fear of death is normal & healthy. It motivates us to take life-saving precautions e.g. using condoms & seatbelts.

What about soldiers who risk their lives all the time? What about people who work in excessively dangerous professions? Fearing death is different to coping with the risk of death such that you don't think about it or worry about it.

4 Likes

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by tuagbo: 8:20pm On Aug 17, 2014
musKeeto: Lmfao.

Let me get this right. Would you live forever if you could?

I think it's you who's seriously depressed or brainwashed. Death will come, it is inevitable. Why waste a lifetime bothering about death? It will come whether you like it or not. You'll die someday. Better get used to it.

I do not agree. This is the result of growing up in a society that sees death as evil, rather than a natural occurrence in nature. That's why you have churches fleecing members of hard-earned cash so they'd be granted divine protection from untimely death. It's totally unhealthy to waste and expend so much energy 'chasing' death.

And please, do not confuse danger with death.

Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by texanomaly(f): 8:37pm On Aug 17, 2014
Seun: @texanomaly: What is your definition of fear of death? If you're in a plane and the engines suddenly explode and it starts hurtling towards the ground, will your heart not start beating faster? Will you not shout and cry or sob quietly on your seat? Will you smile and crack jokes?

In this instance, fear is certainly normal. I agree. Perhaps I did not understand the Op the same way you did.

I don't fear or dwell on the thought that I will die some day. It gets in the way of living.
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by texanomaly(f): 8:39pm On Aug 17, 2014
musKeeto:
angry

smiley

What?
angry

smiley
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by texanomaly(f): 8:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
AtheistD:

What about soldiers who risk their lives all the time? What about people who work in excessively dangerous professions? Fearing death is different to coping with the risk of death such that you don't think about it or worry about it.

Thank you! Fear of danger is healthy.
Re: To Atheist/agnostic, Are You Afraid Of Death ? by Kay17: 9:00pm On Aug 17, 2014
Some people have actually conquered their fear of death to the extent that they can comfortably crack jokes (maybe morbid ones) whilst in a diving plane. They don't flinch in the face of death.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Scientific And Interesting Facts In The Holy Qur'an / Convert Your Sermons Into A Book Here / Around 5,000 British People Convert To Islam Every Year, Theguardian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.