Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,302 members, 7,829,708 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos (886 Views)

Tension In Kaduna As Police And Shii'tes Clash / Pictures From Shiites-Army Clash In Zaria, Many Feared Dead / Rivers Tribunal:drama As Police Makes U-turn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos by teamup: 7:08am On Aug 17, 2014
Although normalcy has returned to the area,
controversy has continued to trail the alleged
killing of three people at Iyana School Bus Stop,
along LASU-Iba Road, Lagos State on Friday.
Contrary to reports that commercial cyclists in
the area attacked a team of policemen from
Isashi Division led by the Station Officer (SO)
and the Operations Officer, investigations
revealed that policemen from the Division
stormed the Okada park at Iyana School Bus
Stop, seizing commercial bikes, an action that
was met with heavy resistance from the cyclists
who alleged that the ban on Okada in Lagos
State did not apply to the area.
Trouble started when the officers allegedly
started shooting sporadically which sources said
resulted in the death of three persons.
A food vendor (Iya Bukola), who claimed to have
witnessed the incident, told Sunday Vanguard
the story: “We were all here when policemen
came to the park and started seizing bikes from
the Okada riders. When the Okada riders
resisted, they started shooting sporadically and
they killed two people instantly while several
others escaped with gun shot wounds. When the
shooting started I ran out of my shop for fear of
being hit by stray bullet. It was while I was
running that I fell down and sustained this
injury on my leg”, she narrated.
Lamenting, Abimbola Aliu, a commercial cyclist,
said, “See how they have changed the story,
they said we attacked them. Is it possible for
Okada riders to attack the police? The law of
restriction on certain routes by the state
government does not affect this place. So when
they said they were attacked by commercial bike
operators at a black spot, they should please
show the world where the black spot is at Iyana
School Bus Stop. We have been enduring all this
intimidation and it has become unbearable. One
of the victims was at the car wash when a bullet
hit him”.
Confirming the report, Lagos State Deputy Police
Public Relations Officer (DPPRO), Mr Lelma Kolle,
said police men from Isashi Division were
detailed to storm a black spot after receiving
series of complaints about criminal activities of
hoodlums and, on their way, some Okada
riders, who misconstrued the mission of the
police, started pelting the team with stones and
the police avoiding confrontation with the Okada
riders, retreated and ran back to the station
Kolle said the Okada riders pursued the police
to the station and attempted to burn down the
station.
He said to prevent them from carrying out their
dastardly act, the police fired into the air to
scare them away but two of the Okada men
were shot in the legs.
“As I am talking to you, the two injured persons
are responding to treatment in hospital”, he
said.
He said that police preliminary investigation
showed that some hoodlums who cashed in on
the situation later engaged in a free for all and
one of them was stabbed to death.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/3-killed-police-okada-operators-clash-lagos/#sthash.ersrjToD.dpuf
Re: 3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 17, 2014
d coppas story is such a cook up frm all indication..
Re: 3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos by MzJackBaueress(f): 7:40am On Aug 17, 2014
Useless police officers! That is how they intimidate and seize bikes of okada men at Iyana School and First Gate bus stops everytime. The roads the ply are not restricted roads,why seize their bikes? I know the policemen at Iba police station will not do that. Isashi police division remain the worst station with criminal minded police officers. angry

RIP to the dead!
Re: 3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos by Chamack: 7:50am On Aug 17, 2014
Police can lie eh, the kind of shooting I heard on friday was something else,never heard that shooting before. how can ishashi police come to iyana school which very far from them to arrest okada while dia is a police station at adolf which is the next bustop at iba. Iyana school has always been peaceful am sure they ran out of cash and feel like coming to a place which is not their jurisdiction to make arrest.. Can u imagine what the so called spokes man said, fabrication of lies.

1 Like

Re: 3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 17, 2014
This is usually why I don't pity the Nigerian policemen anytime Boko Haram, Armed Robbers or Soldiers kill them.

Very special set of fishbrains.
Re: 3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos by akumada1: 7:59am On Aug 17, 2014
Who should we believe in this story now, the police, okada riders or the press?. In time to come if you dont see with your eyes no more believing.
Re: 3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos by ramdris(m): 8:04am On Aug 17, 2014
The police version of the story sounds so stupid and completely worthless. They are not Just stupid enough to b attacking armless citizens, they are even more stupid in their excuses. It's quitems disheartening seeing our law enforcement officers taking the life of the people they should be protecting.

Worst of all is that nothing will come out of this. The dead souls will never get justice. Pathetic!
Re: 3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos by suwailad(f): 8:07am On Aug 17, 2014
thats what you get-bad news under GEJ is so alarming
Re: 3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos by MzJackBaueress(f): 8:10am On Aug 17, 2014
Chamack: Police can lie eh, the kind of shooting I heard on friday was something else,never heard that shooting before. how can ishashi police come to iyana school which very far from them to arrest okada while dia is a police station at adolf which is the next bustop at iba. Iyana school has always been peaceful am sure they ran out of cash and feel like coming to a place which is not their jurisdiction to make arrest.. Can u imagine what the so called spokes man said, fabrication of lies.
policemen at Adoff do not arrest okada men at Iyana School and First gate bus stop. I am very sure it was police officers at Isashi division that did the raid and shot the okada men. Remember that there's a road from Iyana School that links straight to Iyana Isashi it is certain the policemen came from Isashi.
The policemen at Iyana Isashi are very ruthless and wicked!! They go on a raid on okada men,seize their bikes and give them a fine of ten thousand naira to collect back their bikes. Any okada man who doesn't have the fine,his bike is confiscated.
Re: 3 Killed As Police, Okada Operators Clash In Lagos by Chamack: 10:16am On Aug 17, 2014
MzJackBaueress: policemen at Adoff do not arrest okada men at Iyana School and First gate bus stop. I am very sure it was police officers at Isashi division that did the raid and shot the okada men. Remember that there's a road from Iyana School that links straight to Iyana Isashi it is certain the policemen came from Isashi.
The policemen at Iyana Isashi are very ruthless and wicked!! They go on a raid on okada men,seize their bikes and give them a fine of ten thousand naira to collect back their bikes. Any okada man who doesn't have the fine,his bike is confiscated.
Yes they came from Isashi to come and make arrest, I went close to the Iba police post where we have a pharmacy shop yesterday morning to get sanitizer and other things, but due to the sporadic gunshot I had to go back home to avoid being arrested or hit by stray bullet.

(1) (Reply)

Ebola Success In Nigeria Boost Blood Serum Antibodies Study / Rochas Is Sabotaging Imo State And Its Citizens-ohakim / Nigerian Extra-judicial Killing: No Justice For El Zak-zaky

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.