Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,997 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant (40620 Views)

Frequently Asked Question About The Garri Processing Plant / Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm / Aliko Dangote Endorses D’banj’s “koko Garri” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:31pm On Aug 17, 2014
www.garriprocessing..com

you are interested going into a well-planned and effective garri processing business, then there are some things you need to consider..

1. Land

You've got no choice but to have the land. An acre (6plots) is okay for a moderate processing company...
Of course it shouldn't be water logged ot the type that is not properly drained. The reason is very simple; so that you won't have yourself an unhealthy environment breeding flies and diseases due to the always wet environment.
This applies mainly to those who had no intention of screeding the surrounding ground. But if u are ready to spend the money and screed the whole floor, then u're good to go.

2. The processing building: this is built on the land

This is classified into two compartments;
(a) the wet area
(b) the dry area

THE WET AREA

The wet area contains necessary machine that washes the peeled cassava. Most people prefer a trough where they wash by hand. The grinder that grinds into slurry, the fermentation racks, and the hydraulic pressers.

The wet area should be kept clean always. I usually recommend cheap floor tiles to enable smooth and easy cleaning.

THE DRY AREA

The dry area comprises of the simple machine that sieves the cassava slurry being pressed into cakes. It also contains the fryer, and the again the simple machine that sieve roasted cassava (now garri) into required grains as required.

The dry area also houses the store. The stores are usually 2, one for keeping the packing sacks, and the other for storing the already packed garri ready to go out.

The latter store will comprise 2 doors. One from the inside for storing, and the other outside for loading into truck.

The dry area also allows the scale to found a place. The scale's use is well known to all.

Toilets, borehole or a clean well, and the truck for delivery also stays outside.
Some uses fence while some love the open space. Either way, there will be a shed where fresh cassava tuber are delivered and peeled by hand. You can also decide to have a cassava peeling machine. The disadvantages of these are mainly two.

1. When the body of the tuber is not regular, it doesn't peel off every skin. You will still have to pay peelers to peel the remaining.
And if you have to adjust the peeling machine to peel deeper, be ready to loose most of your tubers o waste.

2. It doesn't peel the right way. Images are below

2 Likes

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:38pm On Aug 17, 2014
freshly washed tubers

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:40pm On Aug 17, 2014
some of the required machines...

mechanical fryers

hydraulic pressers

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:49pm On Aug 17, 2014
if you wish to set up the small kind of factory, you can contact me on slidewaxie@gmail.com

i personally is a building engineer by profession, but a farmer by practice.

I personally will draw up your floor plan and supervise the whole construction of the building.
we have a team of practicing farmers who are graduates in this field.

in this type of small scale factory, all machineries will be sourced and fabricated locally. the mechanical fryer is only necessary for larger scale and much more output....

the fermentation rack will be constructed out of hard woods.

with an acre of land, this project will stand out.

one doesn't necessarily need to build up the whole building in blocks or blocks or bricks, if you check the picks of the hydraulic pressers, you will notice what i am trying to say. this even allows for great ventilation needed in the factory.

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:51pm On Aug 17, 2014
if you are interested in setting up your own garri processing factory, please reach me personally through
garriguy007@gmail.com
or call

anywhere you are, our services will reach you.
thank you

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by lagbaja(m): 9:45pm On Aug 17, 2014

6 Likes

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by stagger: 12:08am On Aug 18, 2014
OP, you are just another copycat, lifting from several IITA documents without quoting them. The documents are found online and can be downloaded. I know everything about this business. I know about 4 companies in Nigeria which sell the mechanical fryer (costs N450,000), the large fryer tray for manual frying (costs N70,000 from NVN Limited), as well as the hydraulic presses. All those equipment are expensive and out of the reach of the local farmer.

The IITA even has the layout of a modern cassava processing plan, with a floor plan of the entire structure laid out on 1 plot of land. You are not bringing anything new here. So be original and stop lifting information without quoting the source.

Are you here to add value or simply to market your services (whatever they may be)?

15 Likes

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:33am On Aug 18, 2014
Do not worry yourself, I have just completed a training about this from IITA, so, this is not about copying at all. These were part of the electronic materials made available to us.

If you must knw, the head of the cassava unit is mr. Illubey and stop worrying yourself about busting someone.

You can also apply for their training either through their website or you visit personally.

These are things I saw by myself because after the training we were asked to visit processing plants. And the construction will be simpler for me as a building technologist of more than 3yrs experience.

I have my certificates and credentials as proof.

And there is no where I talked about selling those machines here, I said it could all be sourced locally just as we have be told and shown at the training.

I personally visited nova technologies at ibadan to see the machines for myself.

Besides, we have our own farm we manage.
11 hectares at eweje in abeokuta, and 2hectares at iwo in Osun state.

The training was part of our plan to go into modern garri production and consultancy which we have already started.

So, Sir, stop worrying yourself.

I am clearly offering to set up processing factories for who are interested and not those who are not. And if u say u knw abt this, I'm sure u were not born with it.

Thank you

9 Likes

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:15am On Aug 18, 2014
if you are interested in setting up a small. Garri processing farm, please call on us.

With my experience as a site supervisor, construction will be the least of your problem and I will personally supervise this.

Secondly, the machines and compartment (wet and dry area) will be well positioned and drained.

Machines will be sourced locally and will be installed perfectly.

Please send mail to
slidewaxie@gmail.com

Or

garriguy007@gmail.com

For those interested in bursting a plagiarist, calm down. I didn't say we have machines or can install it. We all knw those who sell are the ones installs.

But with my training and experience, I will comfortable design and plan a standard factory for you.

We also help manage farms....
We have a graduates in this field who have experience and currently on farms.

You are also invited to visit our 11 hectares of cassava farm at abeokuta or 2hectares at iwo in Osun state.

Thank you.

Please call
07035593128 for inquiries

2 Likes

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by IRIENBOY(m): 8:27am On Aug 19, 2014
Ok
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by Buchika: 9:38pm On Aug 19, 2014
bro I 've practised what you re saying here and I was led by same iita. if you don't incorporate an efficient mechanical peeler in your small scale factory, you re just wasting your time. labour cost ll just finish you up.

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:38am On Aug 20, 2014
I agree with you, but obviously, they also learnt these and made correction. During training, we were made to either
1. Place our peelers on monthly basis
Or
2. Place per tonnage

Then the site of ur factory determines..

Labour varies according to civilization.

Thanks you

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by lagbaja(m): 9:38am On Aug 20, 2014
@Buchika, have you tried Capsfeed www.capsfeed.com peeling machine. I have not used. Here is the youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkfXV0HlKWM

My advice is that you pay workers based on the weight of peeled cassava not the unpeeled otherwise , the workers will waste your cassava.

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:47am On Aug 20, 2014
lagbaja: @Buchika, have you tried Capsfeed www.capsfeed.com peeling machine. I have not used. Here is the youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkfXV0HlKWM

My advice is that you pay workers based on the weight of peeled cassava not the unpeeled otherwise , the workers will waste your cassava.
thanks for the addition. Even the peeled ones with be a slight reduction is mass...

Makes good sense.

But did u knw that most of the peelers won't agree to this cos they knw d trick?
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by lagbaja(m): 9:58am On Aug 20, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: thanks for the addition. Even the peeled ones with be a slight reduction is mass...
Makes good sense.
But did u knw that most of the peelers won't agree to this cos they knw d trick?

The strategy is to offer to pay a little higher than what is paid for the unpeeled.
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by Juliana7: 10:02am On Aug 20, 2014
Hmmm, paying attention

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by Buchika: 10:45am On Aug 20, 2014
@lagbaja I 've used a lot of methods with the casual labourers I employed which most of the time if not favorable to them before you know what hit you you 've lost much money, reason is cassava being a very perishable item after uprooting you must peel under 24 hours if you want to do garri, God save you if they don't come the day you have already uprooted due one grievance or the other, that's why you have to work on Mechanising the process. how many workers do you think if placed on a monthly wage can peel 1 ton of raw tubers daily at 15kg per hour average per worker and what will be their wage bill.

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 1:34pm On Aug 21, 2014
Buchika: @lagbaja I 've used a lot of methods with the casual labourers I employed which most of the time if not favorable to them before you know what hit you you 've lost much money, reason is cassava being a very perishable item after uprooting you must peel under 24 hours if you want to do garri, God save you if they don't come the day you have already uprooted due one grievance or the other, that's why you have to work on Mechanising the process. how many workers do you think if placed on a monthly wage can peel 1 ton of raw tubers daily at 15kg per hour average per worker and what will be their wage bill.
1. Cassava is not a 'very perishable' produce. Don't get misinformed. The reason why most people want it within 24hrs is not garri but for other processes like flour.

But did u knw that there is a chemical u use now that even preserve it for at least 3days without loosing it's value?

2. Cassava tubers cld still use 24hrs before being processes. You will only need to reduced it's fermentation period if you wanted ther fermented ones.

3. U shld have knwn the capacity of your plant and not order more than you can process. There are cabster-trucks available for measure....

I hope that works

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by Juliana7: 3:16pm On Aug 21, 2014
@ op tell us d chemical dat can be used to preserve cassava. Pls ooo
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by agbeloba2001(m): 6:28pm On Aug 21, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: if you are interested in setting up your own garri processing factory, please reach me personally through
slidewaxie@gmail.com
or call

thank you
SLIDEwaxie: if you are interested in setting up your own garri processing factory, please reach me personally through
slidewaxie@gmail.com
or call

thank you
slidewaxie@gmail.com
or call

thank you
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by Buchika: 6:46pm On Aug 21, 2014
@SLIDEwaxie, please can you tell us the address of a working plant you set up so one can visit and compare notes.

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:17pm On Aug 21, 2014
Please check my post, there is no where I said we have factories, I said we have cassava farms:

11 at abeokuta and 2 at ibadan.

I clearly stated that we will be going into processing ourselves before harvest. We are 100% ready for that now.

I'm currently at ago iwoye over a possible banana farm.

Get me right Sir,
I can direct you to working factories I have personally visited for more knowledge after my training..

One is at lala along old lagos abeoukta expressway..

Peak products ltd. Pls google for address.
The owner is the now commissioner of agric in ogun state, and the manager's name is mr. Fatai. They are also into starch production.

I have visited NOVA technologies and JITALEX in ibadan also for the machines and usages.
One of the purpose for this is to see if one of our own team who currently has succeeded in creating an automatic gate will be able to reverse engineer them for lower cost, and to understand how they work.

But biliv me, since the time of tapioca, I av worked with my dad on the farm and garri production is not a rocket science. You jes need to knw your capacity per day and u're in production. The same cassava mash we extract the starch for tapioca from is the same we used in garri production. Its something av done since I was a kid.

My purpose now is to use my knowledge as a building technologist erect a functioning building for you, and my knowledge about the machines in setting them in the right place for optimum usage.

About the chemical, pls google seyi oloyede of the popular site, Agricbusiness and you will see how to get it.

Have u ever visited companies like greentech, tai farm and wondered how the heaps of cassava tubers which clearly couldn't be processed in the next few days still be viable for flour production?

That's the trick...biliv me, it exists, big time.
Thanks again
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:44pm On Aug 22, 2014
Bump!!
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by Juliana7: 8:45pm On Aug 22, 2014
@ op, pls directly give us dis website of dis seyi oloyede (ford chemical preservative)
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by stagger: 12:05pm On Aug 23, 2014
Mechanization is the only way to reduce cost, improve capacity and efficiency in the long run. For how long will someone keep peeling cassava with manual labor?

3 Likes

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:32pm On Aug 23, 2014
Nice One @OP
Thanks for bringing out what you have got inside of you.
keep it up.
Never mind the critics.

BUT

I keep thinking of why people still producing non-fortified garri with so many garri processing companies in Nigeria.
Why are agro-preneurs not producing the Vitamin A- fortified garri.

Are you aware of the newly Vitamin-A fortified cassava tubers from IITA?

Entrepreneurs should differentiate their products by fortifying their products with Vitamin A
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:22pm On Aug 23, 2014
Lesgupnigeria: Nice One @OP
Thanks for bringing out what you have got inside of you.
keep it up.
Never mind the critics.

BUT

I keep thinking of why people still producing non-fortified garri with so many garri processing companies in Nigeria.
Why are agro-preneurs not producing the Vitamin A- fortified garri.

Are you aware of the newly Vitamin-A fortified cassava tubers from IITA?

Entrepreneurs should differentiate their products by fortifying their products with Vitamin A
av heard it when it was being mentioned abt an officer in IITA but I haven't enquired.

Juliana7: @ op, pls directly give us dis website of dis seyi oloyede (ford chemical preservative)
royalfarmproduce.com
Pls note,
Disclaimer:
I am in no way recommending him for you or anyone. I have contacted him personally and any transaction between us is at my own discretion.
I am in no way enjoying bonuses, rewards or commissions from him.
I have no affiliate whatsoever.
Any business you do with him is at your own decision.

BUT:
I am not putting him on as a fraudster or as a fake.

I hope u understand me o!

grin grin
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by Kajiang02(m): 3:13am On Aug 24, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: Bump!!

@Slidewaxie,
Apart from land and consultancy cost, What's an estimated budget for everything required and Machinery both Local and Imported.

This is a project i want to go into in the 2nd or 3rd qtr of 2015.

I'll really love to hear your views.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by Kajiang02(m): 3:13am On Aug 24, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: Bump!!

@Slidewaxie,
Apart from land and consultancy cost, What's an estimated budget for everything required and Machinery both Local and Imported.

This is a project i want to go into in the 2nd or 3rd qtr of 2015, preferably in sango-ota or Crossriver state.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:26am On Aug 24, 2014
Kajiang02:
@Slidewaxie,
This is a project i want to go into in the 2nd or 3rd qtr of 2015, preferably in sango-ota or Crossriver state.
Cheers
I biliv av answered you thru the mail u sent, but I will post same for those who are also interested..

Good day Sir,
Where is your location?

This is relevant because

1. We dnt sell machinery, the price of machines and installations depends on your local fabricator.

2. Price of labour and materials in your area matters too.

Out job is to give u the right layout plan which you can get any bricklayer in your area to do for you.

On the contrary, if you want a professional site engineer to supervise the construction, u can contact us or,
Based on my advise, u contact us at every crucial stage of your construction like:

1. Foundation laying
2. Roof construction
3. Tiles finish.

Other area is what a local bricklayer will help you.

This is necessary because u will be d one to buy the building materials and this makes it cheap on a small scale aspect.

I hope you understood me Sir?

Thanks
Apart from that, we know the right equipment to buy and with the layout, the right place to place them for effective usage.

Second, understand that:

1. Two hydraulic pressers will go for 160,000 at most locally.

2. The fermentation racks could be constructed of hardwood because using stainless stell will be expensive.

U will also need a motor-driven grater, a washing trough, grinder (for grinding into fine state if wanted), siever, locally made fryer...

We can give specifications for these constructions if you have a local fabricator...

The exact price, I biliv is dependent on the seller, not us.

But for some rather crazy inexplicable reason, most known fabricated companies are located in Ibadan.

Google NOVA technologies or nucleus ventures nigeria limited. These companies even export their machines outside the shores. Check them out pls.

I hope that helps
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by Kajiang02(m): 12:01pm On Aug 24, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: I biliv av answered you thru the mail u sent, but I will post same for those who are also interested..

I didn't send you any mail bro, all the same thanks. i"ll send you one soonest though.
It means i should up my initial budget of 500k i was programming to have a full balance. I was hoping this would have been more than enough.

Thanks.
Re: Setting Up A Small But Very Effective Garri Processing Plant by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:45am On Aug 25, 2014
Kajiang02:

I didn't send you any mail bro, all the same thanks. i"ll send you one soonest though.
It means i should up my initial budget of 500k i was programming to have a full balance. I was hoping this would have been more than enough.

Thanks.

I'm sorry for the mix up there grin

Someone actually sent a mail with the exact question.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eagle Farms And Cattle Ranch In Anambra- Pictures / Reasons Why Most Nigerians Fail In Poultry Farming Business / Meet Reston Tedheke Ex-Militant, Who Is Ga'ate Farmer In Nasarawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.