Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

The Guy Who Invented Pop-up Ads Says 'i'm Sorry' - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Guy Who Invented Pop-up Ads Says 'i'm Sorry' (902 Views)

See What A Nairalander Invented 6 Years Ago. (photos) / Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids / Amazing Things That Women Invented! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Guy Who Invented Pop-up Ads Says 'i'm Sorry' by passionateyouth: 9:56pm On Aug 18, 2014
Hate pop-up ads? So does the guy who created them.

Ethan Zuckerman worked for the webpage hosting site Tripod.com from 1994 to 1999, when it was struggling to develop a revenue model.

"Along the way," he writes in The Atlantic this week, "we ended up creating one of the most hated tools in the advertiser's toolkit: the pop-up ad."

The pop-up ad started as a solution to a complaint from a car maker upset that its banner ad was running on a page containing sexual content. Zuckerman wrote the code to launch ads in separate windows, laying the groundwork for what would become one of the Web's biggest nuisances.

"It was a way to associate an ad with a user's page without putting it directly on the page, which advertisers worried would imply an association between their brand and the page's content," Zuckerman wrote. "I'm sorry. Our intentions were good."

Zuckerman works these days at MIT, where he's the director of the Center for Civic Media and principal research scientist at the MIT Media Lab. He says he'd like to see the Internet evolve away from ad-supported businesses, perhaps through greater use of subscription models or direct "micropayments" to creators of content.

"20 years [into] the ad-supported web, we can see that our current model is bad, broken, and corrosive," Zuckerman writes.
http://passionfortheyoung..com/
Re: The Guy Who Invented Pop-up Ads Says 'i'm Sorry' by hatux: 10:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
Re: The Guy Who Invented Pop-up Ads Says 'i'm Sorry' by femimike1(m): 10:13pm On Aug 18, 2014
Re: The Guy Who Invented Pop-up Ads Says 'i'm Sorry' by tolugar: 10:24pm On Aug 18, 2014
Re: The Guy Who Invented Pop-up Ads Says 'i'm Sorry' by SirElaw(m): 10:26pm On Aug 18, 2014
passionateyouth: He says he'd like to see the Internet evolve away from ad-supported businesses, perhaps through greater use of subscription models or direct "micropayments" to creators of content.
"20 years [into] the ad-supported web, we can see that our current model is bad, broken, and corrosive,"
Even if the subscription model was initially employed I'm certain the internet business would have eventually evolved into the ad-supported model.

(1) (Reply)

Smok G Priv 220W Touch Screen Mod Review / Get An App To Manage Your Business Within 24hrs / Please Help Me Suggest The Right Solar Panel Watt For My Rechargeable Fan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.