Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,683 members, 7,816,788 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices (16178 Views)

Nine Reasons Why Some African Ladies End Up Single For Life / Classic Ways African Parents Set Their Kids Straight(pics) / Love, Relationships And Life - The Blessy Jackson Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by alaladakosta(f): 5:06am On Aug 22, 2014
No they dont. One day we'll be parent too.

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by freshness2020: 5:09am On Aug 22, 2014
They do..
Most of em are tribal or religious bigots!
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by pussypounder(m): 5:18am On Aug 22, 2014
nnnn
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Afrocatalyst: 5:28am On Aug 22, 2014
Yes,especially the tribalistic ones.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Luvdmx(m): 5:45am On Aug 22, 2014
cool
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by englishmart(m): 5:55am On Aug 22, 2014
Exactly what my Mon did to me 2 years ago.
Reminiscing the beautiful but broken relationship with Tracy makes me wanna commit suicide. tongue
Ohhh! My beautiful Tracy.
I didn't eat for almost a month.
I concluded Mon hates me.
But thank God I've seen reasons to wait

2 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Missmossy(f): 5:58am On Aug 22, 2014
Its really not a matter of mere prejudice often times, as it goes beyond what we may think. If you try to make your parents see things from your own perspectives and its not working out,step down is what i'd say. Though its not as easy as it sounds.

But! I really can't imagine going into any union whatsoever my parents frown at and as such didn't give their blessings. Its just not worth it IMO.

Fine,we all know there is love despite the incessant racism and obvious tribalism but still i believe in having things done the right way.

4 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by virginboy1(m): 6:28am On Aug 22, 2014
The matter tire me oooo

I find it so difficult to fall in love because of this tribalism issues..,
parents are against marrying from another tribe,even within the state i.e Benue their is ethnic choas between idomas and tiv...

Dis country wahala just tire person

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by TCF1980(m): 6:34am On Aug 22, 2014
Hahahahahaha! Prayer warrior kenan!

SAMBARRY: grin grin grin

So they sell prayers on nl again grin

you this circus clown, you won't kill me. Anyway I have a deal for you grin

in case your family $ parents don't approve of your bride, just invite me, I will pray well sotey you go dey wonder whether i be ayo babalola family member grin
shebi it's to wear gele, iro and buba and eat semo and egusi.leave the rest to me grin
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by hassymo5(m): 6:49am On Aug 22, 2014
Marriage is all about love without a third party, the truth is our parents are destroying it by interfering''theirs is to advice the children not to stand on the way ,,,i have seen marriage where perental blessings were given but it didnt stand the test of time and i have seen ones where parent make trouble and refuse to bless it and its working ...
so parent should stop it and pray for their children thats all that matters,,:-)

5 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by cococandy(f): 7:04am On Aug 22, 2014
Chillisauce: The ministry is moving. Nigerian men wahala don reach Cameroon grin.

On a serious note, until you as an individual stand on your ground, the parents will never let go.
She has to let them know why he is different.

If my daughter says same thing, I bet you amma take a longgggg vacation, private investigators to dig up the family history. I no wan hear story.

The only exception here is beeevan last son.
@bolded. BACK OFF angry
No try me o.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by freecocoa(f): 7:10am On Aug 22, 2014
If my dad says he doesn't want me to marry someone, then there definitely must be something wrong somewhere(not even a strand of his hair has any prejudice in it cheesy) so I'll definitely look into his reasons and if it's something that can't be resolved, hmm, I may just have to let go.

2 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by segradino(m): 7:12am On Aug 22, 2014
Very tru
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by hassymo5(m): 7:13am On Aug 22, 2014
freecocoa: If my dad says he doesn't want me to marry someone, then there definitely must be something wrong somewhere(not even a strand of his hair has any prejudice in it cheesy) so I'll definitely look into his reasons and if it's something that can't be resolved, hmm, I may just have to let go.

Then marry your Dad

8 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by freecocoa(f): 7:19am On Aug 22, 2014
hassymo5:

Then marry your Dad
Is there something wrong with you?

5 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Amhappy(f): 7:22am On Aug 22, 2014
I dont advice marriage without parental blessings unless your parents are very unreasonable and you have tried all options. My parents were against my choice at first and tried severally to discourage me with examples of ladies who got married to people from that area and how they eventually ended. Men,i was scared but my hubby did his best to win them over. And yes parents can destroy a beautiful love story. But the truth remains that you can never know how a so called beautiful love story will turn with time and nobody want to lose two things at a time.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Marleysmith: 7:22am On Aug 22, 2014
My mum says do not marry an ijebu lady because they can kill at an early age. My father says do not marry from igbo tribe because they like money; they can force someone into money rituals. I became a little bit confused. And I love igbo ladies. But as I grow day by day I realise that my parents prejudice was bourne out of fear and false notions cos I see people of different tribes and backgrounds with successful marriages.
To even get a good future partner is not an easy task talkless of considering tribe and background. So if you have the gut feeling that this person is the right one for you, you had better convince your family in a gentle and subtle way to marrying them.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by hassymo5(m): 7:27am On Aug 22, 2014
freecocoa: Is there something wrong with you?

Nothing is wrong with me''' ur type even after marriage u will go seeking for advice for ur Home from your Dad

3 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 22, 2014
The mother of the girl in your post may not be tribalistic - she may just be practicing caution. The fradulent activities of some Nigerian men have tarnished the image of the "Nigerian Man" globally. Fraudsters, internet scammers, boko demons and thieving politicians have collectively contributed to this.

From within Nigeris, we may be able to decipher who the good guys are, and who the bad guys are, but foreigners living outside can't..

2 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by hassymo5(m): 7:35am On Aug 22, 2014
jesuslovesme123: The mother of the girl in your post may not be tribalistic - she may just be practicing caution. The fradulent activities of some Nigerian men have tarnished the image of the "Nigerian Man" globally. Fraudsters, internet scammers, boko demons and thieving politicians have collectively contributed to this.
From within Nigeris, we may be able to decipher who the good guys are, and who the bad guys are, but foreigners living outside can't..

caution my foot,,, the persons gertting married may have courted and examind themself...What about wolves that comes in sheep clothing ,, parents are sometimes sentimental...they power of marriage doesn't lies on them, na God dey give person good partner, and even come bless them
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by freecocoa(f): 7:43am On Aug 22, 2014
hassymo5:

Nothing is wrong with me''' ur type even after marriage u will go seeking for advice for ur Home from your Dad
Like seriously, if you don't understand something, it's better to ask questions than just running your mouth without caution.

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Eyop: 7:47am On Aug 22, 2014
[b]@ OP when the 2 were dating were the parents not aware of the relationship undecided? There's nothing wrong from parents stopping a relationship or marriage from moving forward if the reason for such is justified. I just laugh at some comments posted here. The one you are even talking of is Cameroon vs Nigeria but i must let you know that there are some part even in the same state i come from that is a no go area for marriage i.e once you mention those communities 80% of the people will shout haaaa no go ooo and when you investigate the result will come out true. I usually advise people to investigate the girl or guy,her or his family before commencing any serious relationship to avoid a devastating heartbreak in future by parents not supporting the union as a result of what they discovered.

Some people will just love blindly without realising that there's more to marriage than i love you. If an individual ends up in a terrible family and claims that prayer will handle everything,will such individual be able to pray holy ghost fire all the rest of his or her life? People should start having sense.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by delishpot: 8:11am On Aug 22, 2014
She better nor marry. No one knows the future. Husband may be good but family of husband may be wicked. Until I know his famiy and their attitude towards her, I will encourage her to wait, talk to her mother and maybe try to introduce the two moms for a heart to heart talk.
She should make sure her mom is in suport of that marriage before she say's I do! it's very Important.
True true Naija men cannot be trusted but on the other hand no human on earth can be trusted 100% .

2 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by enigmang: 8:16am On Aug 22, 2014
sihom:

Guys do not underestimate or take for granted the blessing of a parent over an intended union. Sometimes when they rant & rave there's some gut feeling at work about that potential spouse we as children have presented and want to marry. Gut feelings are hard to explain but its a strong feeling telling you something is not right even when you can't place your finger on what it is.

Parents often see things which we are unable to, because of that emotion called loved. I've seen some relatives & acquaintances run into some serious gbese because they ignored the blessing of a parent. Remember these people took care of you from infancy to adulthood, no man or woman can ever love you like they do.

The least we can do is honour them and try to win them over where potential spouses are concerned.

WHat Blesssing!!!!! some time they are very irrational and tribalistic.. they wouldnt listen to you simply because he or she is IGBO or YORUBA, my cousin from Rivers wanted to marry a Yoruba girl, her mum said "do not bring any Igbo man here oooo" when she told her mum that rivers is not Igbo, she said "They are all the same"..... worst of all even among christians, you will hear.. you must marry a catholic.... why in the world would i wait for such a parents blessing it is more of a CURSE than a blessing...

About the "gbese" all marriages have the gbese-period.. deal with it like adults if you cant or you feel it is too much walk away... your parents are not the once getting married...

Anyways it is reducing now, because parents don't really reliance on their children at old age is decreasing.... those parents wanted to make sure their child don't go and get entrenched in another culture and forget them

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by delishpot: 8:29am On Aug 22, 2014
enigmang:

WHat Blesssing!!!!! some time they are very irrational and tribalistic.. they wouldnt listen to you simply because he or she is IGBO or YORUBA, my cousin from Rivers wanted to marry a Yoruba girl, her mum said "do not bring any Igbo man here oooo" when she told her mum that rivers is not Igbo, she said "They are all the same"..... worst of all even among christians, you will hear.. you must marry a catholic.... why in the world would i wait for such a parents blessing it is more of a CURSE than a blessing...

About the "gbese" all marriages have the gbese-period.. deal with it like adults if you cant or you feel it is too much walk away... your parents are not the once getting married...

Anyways it is reducing now, because parents don't really reliance on their children at old age is decreasing.... those parents wanted to make sure their child don't go and get entrenched in another culture and forget them

True that, to a youruba man, if you do not speak Hausa or yoruba then you deff Igbo. and the Average yoruba woman is VERRRRY tribalistic. I was with a friend dating a Rivers girl and a female he took as role midel said to him
" hmmn, so you want to marry an Igbo mammy water?
He said she is from Rivers not Igbo. the woman said ahhhhh its even worse than she thaught o, Rivers ke? That one is pure marine spirit o, she will never follow him to his wedding o, she cant cross a river for any one o. He wants to marry a real mammy water o. I was Like shocked shocked shocked at first then I was like grin grin grin at her mumu situation her stupidity remain small to done. grin grin, But I cry cry cry cry for the guy cos the girl is a good girl and her family is kind and loving. On the other hand, a real Igbo man nor get that petty time( money on his mind jare) he will ask his child why the choice. And if the reply is a good one, na onto the next step. A real Igbo person will be against thr childs choice only if they do not like the persons character, family attitude or something else but not cos of the persons tribe( ecxept OSU) igbo man fear OSU pass winch. Which is a mystery to me. Osu no be person?

2 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by lucianohase(m): 8:50am On Aug 22, 2014
Woged2005: A young female colleague from french-speaking Cameroon is in love with a very decent Nigerian man, educated with a good job. They are making plans to get married before Easter next year. Now the girl's parent (especially her mom) is way in the middle of the whole thing, discouraging her daughter, warning her, and even making threats to her to stay away from any Nigerian man because they can't be trusted. In fact, she vowed no one in her family will date a Nigerian man. These young lovers are completely devastated and running to anyone who could help appease her parents but all is falling on deaf ears.

We Africans complain of racism and discrimination abroad but honestly from what I see, we would have been worse than some of the people we criticize. Look at how we discriminate against people from other tribes, religion, sexual orientation, even people of other social class. Rich parents warn their daughters not to date boys from poor families. Yoruba discriminates against Igbo, Igbo discriminates against Hausa, Hausa discriminates against Igbos, Muslims discriminates against Christians, Pentecostals discriminate against Catholics, other countries discriminate against Nigerians, (just for emphasis) etc. Haba! Some of us Africans are way too full of prejudice and hate. Sometime I wonder if this is why we always have plagues, disease epidemics, wars, massacres, hunger, famine, pogroms, etc despite being very religious and blessed with resources.

Africans, please can we stop prejudices to let blessings flow into the continent? God is love! Stop destroying dreams with prejudices!
This is one african mentality i hate so much,especially when choosing one's life patner...this is exactly what made a close friend of mine marry a very sweet n lavly US lady after he left the shores of Africa.. His parents and the parents of his ex-lover destroyed his former wonderful relationship,which made him vow not to have anything to do with any nigerian lady or a lady bred in africa,just to escape some of these bullshit traditions and prejudice. Nobody knew when he got married except me, though he sent his wedding pictures to his parents later. His wealthy parents were so disappointed,his mum wept...As for me,i was so happy for him.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by hassymo5(m): 8:53am On Aug 22, 2014
freecocoa: Alright, now I get it.

Thank God u did get it.......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Share An Unforgettable Act Of Sacrifice Or Selflessness Made By Your Father / International Day Of The Girl Child: Share Amazing Things Your Daughter Has Done / Why Do Some Mothers-In-law Always Maltreat Their Daughters-In-laws?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.