Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,221 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? (2931 Views)

OLX Cars: How To Detect Fraud / Golf Cars For 130 On Olx...how True? / Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by Pluslargent(m): 8:47am On Aug 20, 2014
I was looking for a double cabin, preferably toyota hilux and when i went to olx auto's i must say for the model and make i found the prices ridicoulously low in most cases,so am asking forumites if any one has had any experience with procuring a vehicle from that site...before awuf go run belle...
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:07am On Aug 20, 2014
1 in a 100 cars is genuine on that site, just run.
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by Pluslargent(m): 9:18am On Aug 20, 2014
hmm thanks gazzuz...so basically its not worth the try?but how do they scam you?
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 20, 2014
Pluslargent: hmm thanks gazzuz...so basically its not worth the try?but how do they scam you?
Please visit Olx if you have so much money and you wish to get duped abi na scammed them dey call am sef.
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by billy187(m): 11:13am On Aug 20, 2014
Most... if not all the cars and prices there are totally real....as long as you believe in unicorns and fairytales.

From what I know they kind of ask for some 5-50% deposit site unseen to 'gurantee' you the car. As soon as you pay, they vanish into fairytale land!

When buying from such sites, not a kobo is to change hands until you actually SEE the car and test drive it. Anyone that suggests otherwise is out to dupe you!!

hope this helps!
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by Pluslargent(m): 1:56pm On Aug 20, 2014
Thanks guys..your advice has been very helpfull..i guess i will just shop elsewhere
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by billy187(m): 2:29pm On Aug 20, 2014
Pluslargent: Thanks guys..your advice has been very helpfull..i guess i will just shop elsewhere

It not all bleak news though.....I got my present car off an online site at a ridiculously good price about a year ago.....and its been pretty reliable so far! You dont have entirely avoid olx like the plague, just know the rules of the game before playing it! Cheers!
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by Pluslargent(m): 3:39pm On Aug 20, 2014
pray tell billy, can you recommend any such sites..i guess i will just bid for what meets my grade and make sure i dont part with nothing...
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by ogawisdom(m): 4:11am On Aug 21, 2014
If d car is too cheap it is probably stolen so shine ur eyes before u buy.
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by femmy2010(m): 4:18am On Aug 21, 2014
ogawisdom: If d car is too cheap it is probably stolen so shine ur eyes before u buy.

You can say that again.lol
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by billy187(m): 8:10am On Aug 21, 2014
Pluslargent: pray tell billy, can you recommend any such sites..i guess i will just bid for what meets my grade and make sure i dont part with nothing...

Well, I wont be able to help with the exact site as i am based in Ghana. My advice was based on the fact both Nigerian and Ghanaian auto markets are extremely similiar; with both local and foreign scammers all involved. Can you believe naija tricksters have overflowed onto the online market here?

A genuine person will usually post an ad in many sites so its more a question of finding ads than sites. To make sure the owner didnt gain the car through a robbery make sure all documents are valid. If nigeria has a database to check such things make sure to fully utilise it! cheers!

ps.....a couple of cars are for sale in the autos section here.....give that a look too!
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by Pluslargent(m): 12:51pm On Aug 21, 2014
billy187:

Well, I wont be able to help with the exact site as i am based in Ghana. My advice was based on the fact both Nigerian and Ghanaian auto markets are extremely similiar; with both local and foreign scammers all involved. Can you believe naija tricksters have overflowed onto the online market here?

A genuine person will usually post an ad in many sites so its more a question of finding ads than sites. To make sure the owner didnt gain the car through a robbery make sure all documents are valid. If nigeria has a database to check such things make sure to fully utilise it! cheers!

ps.....a couple of cars are for sale in the autos section here.....give that a look too!

thanks for the suggestions..already did..only 1 offer...seems double cabins are in short supply there
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by laivwire(m): 3:36pm On Aug 21, 2014
Scam adverts are so rampant on the site I wonder what it's operators are doing about it. Even flagging an advert will have them telling you they need about ten more flags before black listing an apparent ripoff. Despite this fact, some deals are quite ok. Characteristics of good deals are;
1. Check the pictures of the car and the style in which they taken. Originals come in at least 3 pictures and the pictures will look amateurish unlike professional pictures which may be lifted off the net. In addition, toks should be more expensive, naija used must have a local plate number on. Cheap unreg cars are point blank scams

2. The product description should be in first person tense. Adding more details in comprehension format is also good but adverts with just one word points of say 'airbag', 'keyless entry' is a hood sign of someone with no time who's posted so many products he doesn't have time to fill their descriptions

3. When you call the seller, do not be in a haste to disclose your details. Let him tell you where he is first and his name must tally with what is on olx. Those scamming mofos, they write Abuja, once you say you are from Abuja, they say their office is in lagos and they will bring the car for you in Abuja. Drop deposit first. Scam scam scam!

Lastly, check the sellers profile, any seller offering different numbers, too good to be true deals should be avoided like Ebola. My 2 kobo

Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by Pluslargent(m): 4:53pm On Aug 21, 2014
lol, laiv wire...like ebola abi? your experience too much...i guess bottom line, no part wit dough if you no see moto...
Re: Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? by Homguy(m): 7:58pm On Aug 21, 2014
Pluslargent: lol, laiv wire...like ebola abi? your experience too much...i guess bottom line, no part wit dough if you no see moto...
Exactly, this rock bottom rule applies to almost every sphere of trade in Nigeria.

Please How Fuel Efficient Is BMW 325i, 4 Cylinder Engine / affordable Auto Locksmith / Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before?