Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,460 members, 7,819,677 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! (1602 Views)

Buhari Seeks Senate Approval To Borrow N2.10 Trn / Dogara Seeks Senate’s Approval For Removal Of IGP / How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Kirinwa: 1:42pm On Aug 20, 2014
I was watching a live session of National Assembly sitting in which they said that the Bakassi, an oil rich land ceded to Cameroon by Obasanjo administration was done without senate approval.This was said in the heels of UN officials who came into Nigeria 'without' visa and proceeded to measuring out land in Cross River state without any challenge.

They further said its high time countries respect the sovereignty of Nigeria.

Now my question is Obasanjo Administration ended over 7 years ago.What effort have they made since then or at the time of the ceding to voice their disagreement over the issue.Why wait until now to tell the citizens?

What are your views? Your voice does matter.

Source: NTA
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Lordlexyy: 2:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
I watched the proceedings, with pain, anger, and disappointment, not because of the oil rich territory that was ceded but for Nigerians who were forcefully displaced from their ancestral homes and lands, and the inability of the gov't they trusted to protect their sovereignty. The event shows a no caring gov't from the Head of states to the decision makers(senate) who failed to offer any form of resistance to the inglorious ceding or sell out of Bakassi. Not just the gov't, but also the entire Niger Delta people especially the common thieves(militants) who instead, were busy stealing crude oil, kidnapping expatriates for money and hobnobbing with politicians. It was the biggest and selfish mistake we made as a nation to cowardly succum or bent to inl't pressure at a time Britian was currently occupying another man's land in far away Agentina. I could have done better than the nation's Chief judge who gave flimpsy excuses for the handover. Application for referendum should have been our best belt, allowing the people that are concerns to choose where to belong. All hope is not lost, the gov't can still file for a new case on the same issue.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by psucc(m): 2:05pm On Aug 20, 2014
The Senate's approval was not necessary during the quasi-dictator regime.

He sold it for a token.
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Kirinwa: 2:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
psucc: The Senate's approval was not necessary during the quasi-dictator regime.

He sold it for a token.

Maybe you can give a more comprehensive background on the transaction that took place and Who sold what?

Besides I thought transactions made during the era of illegality are not honourable. Do we still have legal practitioners on Nairaland?
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by shizzle11(m): 2:17pm On Aug 20, 2014
obasanjo simply gave out bakassi to cameroon without a fight at all, not even minding the peoples wish or desire. Very disheartning
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by F117A: 2:19pm On Aug 20, 2014
And what are we doing to get it back.?
We are cursed with fools as leaders.
Abacha would be turning in his grave by now.
I remember when chad invaded borno in the 80s, general muhammadu buhari rallied the military and sent the chadian bastards scampering away with their tails between their legs.
What happened to us?
We need buhari desperately.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 20, 2014
Kirinwa: I was watching a live session of National Assembly sitting in which they said that the Bakassi, an oil rich land ceded to Cameroon by Obasanjo administration was done without senate approval.This was said in the heels of UN officials who came into Nigeria 'without' visa and proceeded to measuring out land in Cross River state without any challenge.

They further said its high time countries respect the sovereignty of Nigeria.

Now my question is Obasanjo Administration ended over 7 years ago.What effort have they made since then or at the time of the ceding to voice their disagreement over the issue.Why wait until now to tell the citizens?

What are your views? Your voice does matter.

Source: NTA
Do you blame Obasanjo Alone? The Then SSG Chief Ufot Ekaete is From Cross Rivers State, Senator Ita Giwa who was in the Senate and an ally to Obasanjo (She Championed the 3rd Term Bid)is from Cross Rivers State (I think Bakassi), The Governor then Donald Duke among other Cross Rivers Indigens including their Rep Members and Senators didn't do ANYTHING. The Present Governor Liyel Imoke was serving in Obasanjo Cabinet all that time. They did not do anything. They were all lining at Obasanjo's back pursuing his 3rd Term bid and their indigens didn't protest. Bros, The Bakassi problem to me is Cross River state's problem. If it were others (Ijaw for example) such won't happen. It will be a fight to finish. Anyway, I neither blame Jonathan nor Obasanjo, I blame the Cross River people. They were cheering their mediocre leaders while their land is being taken over. They still rever the same leaders that couldn't fight for them. lolsss.
As at then, Jonathan was just a Deputy Governor, You can't expect an Ijawman to front for a Bakassi problem.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by F117A: 2:33pm On Aug 20, 2014
barcanista: Do you blame Obasanjo Alone? The Then SSG Chief Ufot Ekaete is From Cross Rivers State, Senator Ita Giwa who was in the Senate and an ally to Obasanjo (She Championed the 3rd Term Bid)is from Cross Rivers State (I think Bakassi), The incumbent Governor then Donald Duke among other Cross Rivers Indigens including their Rep Members and Senators didn't do ANYTHING. The Present Governor Liyel Imoke was serving in Obasanjo Cabinet all that time. They did not do anything. They were all lining at Obasanjo pursuing his 3rd Term bid and their indigens didn't protest. Bros, The Bakassi problem to me is Cross River state's problem. If it were other Ijaw for example such won't happen. It will be a fight to finish. Anyway, I neither blame Jonathan nor Obasanjo, I blame the Cross River people.
It is the job of the FG to secure the nation's sovereignty.
You don't expect the cross river people to start carrying arms.
They are peaceful people.
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by comos: 2:35pm On Aug 20, 2014
then Bakassi still belongs to Nigeria
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2014
F117A: It is the job of the FG to secure the nation's sovereignty.
You don't expect the cross river people to start carrying arms.
They are peaceful people.
You don't have to carry arms. Arms struggle to me is not even the best EXCEPT on extreme situation. They have their people in Government to REPRESENT them. If their Governor, Senators, Reps, Ministers of their extraction, Presidential Aides and traditional leaders couldn't front for their interests, then they are not ready. With due respect to them

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by malele(m): 2:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
barcanista: Do you blame Obasanjo Alone? The Then SSG Chief Ufot Ekaete is From Cross Rivers State, Senator Ita Giwa who was in the Senate and an ally to Obasanjo (She Championed the 3rd Term Bid)is from Cross Rivers State (I think Bakassi), The Governor then Donald Duke among other Cross Rivers Indigens including their Rep Members and Senators didn't do ANYTHING. The Present Governor Liyel Imoke was serving in Obasanjo Cabinet all that time. They did not do anything. They were all lining at Obasanjo's back pursuing his 3rd Term bid and their indigens didn't protest. Bros, The Bakassi problem to me is Cross River state's problem. If it were others (Ijaw for example) such won't happen. It will be a fight to finish. Anyway, I neither blame Jonathan nor Obasanjo, I blame the Cross River people. They were cheering their mediocre leaders while their land is being taken over. They still rever the same leaders that couldn't fight for them. lolsss.
As at then, Jonathan was just a Deputy Governor, You can't expect an Ijawman to front for a Bakassi problem.

Why won't we blame. OBJ, if its goodluck u people will crucify him
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 20, 2014
malele:

Why won't we blame. OBJ, if its goodluck u people will crucify him
No way. I am neither blaming Obj nor Jonathan. beside who are the you people? did you read my post? errrmmmm if you want to bring partisanship......I am NOT interested. Thank you
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by naijaking1: 2:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
Some foooolissh CrossRiverns think OBJ gives a damn about them just to spite Biafrans. I watch with a big laughter how that Sen Ita Giwa akwuna kwuna women who made a profession out of sleeping with invading Nigerian soldiers like OBJ would now come to complain about losing her native town thanks to OBJ.
BTW how're other saboteurs like Ken Saro wiwa and Adaka Boro doing? ??

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 20, 2014
How much did he sell it? Mad man.
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by musiwa94: 2:54pm On Aug 20, 2014
[b][size=18pt]because Obasanjo is old enough to know his history.. That there is no need for permission.. bakassi is not part of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by yinksdadon: 4:14pm On Aug 20, 2014
Did obasanjo cede bakassi to cameroon?maybe a little bit of history will solve these puzzle.Our eoropean masters distributed and shared africa between them at the berlin conference.they did so without taking tribal and ethnic connections into consideration.if any tribe is to complain ,it should be the yorubas and hausas because yorubaland extended into ghana while hausaland extended from senegal to sudan.the europeans severed the cord dt bound us together without even our consent.Bakassi was ceded to cameroon at the berlin conference,lines of longitude being the demarcation criteria ,but the people living around bakassi never knew.Nigeria claimed the area and cameroon protested it became an issue,the case was taken to the international court of arbitration at the hague.cameroon was supported by france and germany in its claim but britain didnt support nigeria the reason being that they can not undo wat der fathers have done.the verdict delivered was in favour of cameroon.wat could obasanjo have done,disobey the courts verdict?obasanjo wrote them then but they later said that the srnate dont deal with letter but bills and motions.nigerian need to be educated so ds politicians will stop tinkering with our sul and brain.bakassi was not ceded in 2003, it was ceeded even before obj's father was born
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by yinksdadon: 4:31pm On Aug 20, 2014
senate approval my foot.The federal govt wrote the national assembly informing them of bakassi issue and that was after the judgement have been delivered.but they later said they dont deal with letters,which we all kno is a blatant lie.even if they were not officially informed,cant any of the senators raise the motion ,if the passage of a bill will not be adequate for such an urgent matter.if they had passed a bill,what would have been the effect?overide the verdict of the ICJ?.Bakassi peninsularwas never a part of the european fraud called nigeria ,its only bakassi people that has remained one wether in or out of nigeria.thi even brings brings about the question of nigerias teritorial integrity.Nigerians should be wiser than believing obasanjo ceeded baakassi.thanks
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
We had several options on the issue of Bakassi irrespective of the ICJ ruling.when the US threw a blockade around Nicaragua in 1979, the Government went to the ICJ and got a judgement against the US. Immediately, the American government pulled out of the world court for two years.

The present administration also had a window to ask the ICJ to reverse itself by way of appeal but decided it was not their problem as the man at the helm of affairs was to busy calculating how to get a 2nd term in office. The government could have carried out a proxy referendum in Bakassi for the people to determine their future and gotten the whole issue complicated from a moral and legal perspective then militarise the area.This happened in the Falklands and recently in Crimea.

The truth is this issue will definitely be revisited by another government as OBJ's action was unconstitutional. He actually ought to have been removed by way of impeachment for acting unconstitutionally.
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by KingGeorge1: 6:46pm On Aug 20, 2014
yinksdadon: Did obasanjo cede bakassi to cameroon?maybe a little bit of history will solve these puzzle.Our eoropean masters distributed and shared africa between them at the berlin conference.they did so without taking tribal and ethnic connections into consideration.if any tribe is to complain ,it should be the yorubas and hausas because yorubaland extended into ghana while hausaland extended from senegal to sudan.the europeans severed the cord dt bound us together without even our consent.Bakassi was ceded to cameroon at the berlin conference,lines of longitude being the demarcation criteria ,but the people living around bakassi never knew.Nigeria claimed the area and cameroon protested it became an issue,the case was taken to the international court of arbitration at the hague.cameroon was supported by france and germany in its claim but britain didnt support nigeria the reason being that they can not undo wat der fathers have done.the verdict delivered was in favour of cameroon.wat could obasanjo have done,disobey the courts verdict?obasanjo wrote them then but they later said that the srnate dont deal with letter but bills and motions.nigerian need to be educated so ds politicians will stop tinkering with our sul and brain.bakassi was not ceded in 2003, it was ceeded even before obj's father was born

Has Isreal handed over Gaza to the palestinians and what have the international community done following that refusal?
Had it been Lagos that wa handed over to Benin republic, sango and oduduwa would have been awake up from their sleep, OBJ was a dictator in a democratic setting...
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Kirinwa: 7:37pm On Aug 20, 2014
1stCitizen: We had several options on the issue of Bakassi irrespective of the ICJ ruling.when the US threw a blockade around Nicaragua in 1979, the Government went to the ICJ and got a judgement against the US. Immediately, the American government pulled out of the world court for two years.

The present administration also had a window to ask the ICJ to reverse itself by way of appeal but decided it was not their problem as the man at the helm of affairs was to busy calculating how to get a 2nd term in office. The government could have carried out a proxy referendum in Bakassi for the people to determine their future and gotten the whole issue complicated from a moral and legal perspective then militarise the area.This happened in the Falklands and recently in Crimea.

The truth is this issue will definitely be revisited by another government as OBJ's action was unconstitutional. He actually ought to have been removed by way of impeachment for acting unconstitutionally.

Are you saying they were cowards for not removing Obj?
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 20, 2014
Kirinwa:

Are you saying they were cowards for not removing Obj?

Ofcourse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OBJ was a coward and our legislators were bigger cowards.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by manck: 8:01pm On Aug 20, 2014
grin
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Donmarrius: 8:04pm On Aug 20, 2014
Obasanjo took the usuall path known to him,"cowardice".

To the people of cross river,( i mean no harm),this is surely one of the many prices of betrayal.

To Nigeria,well time will prove you right or wrong,for fighting igbos,only because they want freedom from operation.
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by manck: 8:10pm On Aug 20, 2014

You people need to take the pain to ask your parent history..

[size=18pt]fashola deport igbo..[/size]

it was buhari who took over bakassi from cameroon illegally. it is not part of nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by michelz: 8:30pm On Aug 20, 2014
Is it surprising that Bakassi was ceded to Cameroon just like that? It's only in Nigeria that this sort of thing happens. Other smaller Nations would have gone to war for a matter like this. This is a big shame to Obj and every single Nigerian. Shame!
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Kirinwa: 8:36pm On Aug 20, 2014
barcanista: You don't have to carry arms. Arms struggle to me is not even the best EXCEPT on extreme situation. They have their people in Government to REPRESENT them. If their Governor, Senators, Reps, Ministers of their extraction, Presidential Aides and traditional leaders couldn't front for their interests, then they are not ready. With due respect to them

Mbok!

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by redsun(m): 8:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
OBJ sowed the seed for fundamental islamism in Nigeria. Before him,fundamentalism was more or less a shameful practice among Nigerian Moslems,reserved solely for the very demented and losers in the society that people didn't really take seriously. But when he legitimised sharia he made normal Nigerian Moslem to start thinking that fundamentalism is something they can live with.

He was a democratic junta that ruled Nigeria with iron fist as if he was still in the army as a rogue general.
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by IGBOSON1: 8:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
Could be Biya threatened to spill the beans concerning the civil war and OBJ freaked out in panic!.........#Just saying! wink
Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by naijaking1: 8:46pm On Aug 20, 2014
If OBJ had succeeded in his 3rd term bid, Calabar, yes that's City of confused Nigerians would have been ceeded to Cameroon too.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by Kirinwa: 9:23pm On Aug 20, 2014
naijaking1: If OBJ had succeeded in his 3rd term bid, Calabar, yes that's City of confused Nigerians would have been ceeded to Cameroon too.

Eti mfiong enang? Mbok erin ikiero mpo.

Re: Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! by huptin(m): 9:50pm On Aug 20, 2014
Can we please read our history well and get the truth, Obasanjo did not cede Bakassi, he wasn't even the one who took the case to the world court, it was Abacha.

The judgement ceding Cameroon to Bakassi came during his tenure, he initially refused to abide by the court judgement, but he eventually agreed in principle, he never ceded Bakassi till he left office.

Bakassi was handed over to Cameroon on the 8th of August 2008 a year after OBJ left office.

(1) (Reply)

Is There Any Difference Between Impeachment And Removal? / BOMB BLAST Rocks Estate In Bayelsa / Nairaland Am Back ! Since Seun Has Done D Needful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.