Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,438 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

How Nollywood Works - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How Nollywood Works (1756 Views)

How Nollywood Redefined Conversations On African Cinema And Culture / How Nollywood And Hollywood Almost Killed Me! (+PICS) / Nollywood And The World: How Nollywood Is Viewed Outside Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nollywood Works by Orikinla(m): 3:32pm On Jul 24, 2006
Please, this feature is a must read on Nollywood for those who want to have a better knowledge of what Nollywood is all about:
Nollywood Confidential, Part Two
http://www.journalismfellowships.org/stories/nigeria/nigeria_nollywood.htm

Please, may I advise you to read it first before commenting.

Re: How Nollywood Works by neelsel(f): 6:03pm On Jul 24, 2006
This was great. I must agree that the article has broadened my horizon in terms of understand the journey of Nollywood and Nigeria on a hold. Once again thanks for sharing.
Re: How Nollywood Works by Orikinla(m): 9:27pm On Jul 24, 2006
Thanks for reading it too.
Re: How Nollywood Works by NSNA: 12:08am On Jul 25, 2006
thanks for posting this @ Orikinla. Very informative. i've often wondered what Nigerian filmakers think of there movies, now i realise they are waiting for the first one.
Re: How Nollywood Works by gigitte(f): 2:32am On Jul 25, 2006
the girl in the pic is very pretty grin
Re: How Nollywood Works by Oracle(m): 3:23am On Jul 25, 2006
gigitte:

the girl in the pic is very pretty grin
Ah Ah gigette, is that the first thing you saw?
you are supposed to read the feature not look at the girl
Re: How Nollywood Works by gigitte(f): 3:29am On Jul 25, 2006
lol it caught my eye grin

but i did read the article

the censorship/hypocrisy spin was spot on!
Re: How Nollywood Works by Orikinla(m): 9:52am On Jul 25, 2006
We can now see that the Yorubas laid the solid foundation for Nollywood as quoted below:
KELANI: I must confess I have never seen "Living in Bondage." But it was certainly not the first successful Nigerian home video. Ken Nnebue made "Aje Ni Iya Mi" (My mother is a witch
Re: How Nollywood Works by dipotepede(m): 12:52pm On Jul 25, 2006
Great article.
Re: How Nollywood Works by zebudaya(m): 2:07pm On Jul 25, 2006
Orikinla:

We can now see that the Yorubas laid the solid foundation for Nollywood as quoted below:
KELANI: I must confess I have never seen "Living in Bondage." But it was certainly not the first successful Nigerian home video. Ken Nnebue made "Aje Ni Iya Mi" (My mother is a witch)

Ken Nnebue made "Aje Ni Iya Mi" (My mother is a witch)
Re: How Nollywood Works by spikedcylinder: 2:50pm On Jul 25, 2006
Was "Aje ni Iya mi" as successful as "Living in Bondage"?If it was,how come "Living in Bondage" gets all the credit all the time?
Re: How Nollywood Works by soulpatrol(f): 4:58pm On Jul 25, 2006
very interesting article! i still believe we have aways to go though we've done well in making it as the 3rd largest film industry in the world, crappy movies or not. we're still going getting there cool
Re: How Nollywood Works by neelsel(f): 6:17pm On Jul 25, 2006
As we say in the islands "you have to creep before you walk" So creep Nollywood, for your walking days would soon be here. Congrats! you guys are doing a phenominal job,
soulpatrol:

very interesting article! i still believe we have aways to go though we've done well in making it as the 3rd largest film industry in the world, crappy movies or not. we're still going getting there cool
Re: How Nollywood Works by bagoma(f): 8:28pm On Jul 25, 2006
NSNA:

thanks for posting this @ Orikinla. Very informative. i've often wondered what Nigerian filmakers think of there movies, now i realise they are waiting for the first one.
undecided undecided undecided
Re: How Nollywood Works by asscend: 9:00pm On Jul 25, 2006
3rd largest film industry in d world; wow that is BIGGGGGG. The giant of Africa is rising fast. If they can fight Piracy more vigorously and release films simultenously around d country, I'm sure it will be more lucrative for the producers. At the moment the pirates are having a field day. I'll consider investing in cinema shortly.
Re: How Nollywood Works by soulpatrol(f): 9:50pm On Jul 25, 2006
more power to naija!

no be wasa (play) that we are the 3rd largest film industry, upon all our industry. God loves us too. even hollywood with all their money and glamour aint perfect you know. i'm proud of our producers/directors,

now only if they can stop focusing on how to make quick money and put more thought into these movie, we'll be standing shoulder to shoulder with hollywood you know. arent nigerians already directing movies in hollywood? who said nigerians dont have brains? tongue
Re: How Nollywood Works by soulpatrol(f): 9:51pm On Jul 25, 2006
i meant to say upon all our corruption, tongue
Re: How Nollywood Works by asscend: 2:21am On Jul 26, 2006
Soul patrol nice words. It was poverty that made them think only about money but I think at some point they should begin to invest in the thing that has given them money in the first place. The actors have a major role to play here. Nigerians should demand more and not settle for any thing that is produced on DVD.
Re: How Nollywood Works by soulpatrol(f): 2:08pm On Jul 26, 2006
testify! preach on preacher!!! grin
Re: How Nollywood Works by soccerchic(f): 3:54pm On Jul 26, 2006
Thanks@Orikinla for the article. i must agree it was both informative and entertaining. It was just the sort of information I was looking for grin

Message To Marketers: I am going to sell your movies ooo. I have the face, body and brain so u better contact me now. I am ur next Big thing grin grin
Re: How Nollywood Works by zebudaya(m): 11:04pm On Jul 26, 2006
soccerchic:

Thanks@Orikinla for the article. i must agree it was both informative and entertaining. It was just the sort of information I was looking for grin

Message To Marketers: I am going to sell your movies ooo. I have the face, body and brain so u better contact me now. I am your next Big thing grin grin

soccerchic put up your pic so we can look at your face, and body and make our decisions.
Re: How Nollywood Works by soccerchic(f): 1:44am On Jul 27, 2006
@Zub

Don't worry, am do just that wink Are u a marketer? grin
Re: How Nollywood Works by LoverBwoy(m): 9:43pm On Jul 28, 2006
soccerchic

oya i am a marketer cool let me see what u got and pls dont forget the booty shot too, top dollar grin  grin  grin
Re: How Nollywood Works by zebudaya(m): 9:56pm On Jul 28, 2006
soccerchic my cousins are marketers, they have offices in surulere which is where all the actors and actresses come to secure roles so put your best pic up and remember when it comes to clothing Less is more wink
Re: How Nollywood Works by Idekeson(m): 5:36pm On Jul 29, 2006
spikedcylinder:

Was "Aje ni Iya mi" as successful as "Living in Bondage"?If it was,how come "Living in Bondage" gets all the credit all the time?

Every issue in Nigeria always come down to a tribal tug-of-war. "Living in Bondage" is inarguably the movie that changed the Nigeria movie industry to what it is today. The "Aje" movie may have been successful, but the impact of "Living in Bondage" is unrivaled.
Re: How Nollywood Works by eveseh(f): 9:09pm On Jul 29, 2006
LOL funny $shit
Re: How Nollywood Works by Raymand(m): 12:14am On Jul 30, 2006
Wicked oxymoron, you put Nollywood and Works in the same sentence grin
Re: How Nollywood Works by Seun(m): 11:25am On Nov 08, 2007
Hehe. It works for those who earn their livelihood from it.
Re: How Nollywood Works by powerofmap(m): 1:01am On Nov 23, 2007
@Orinkinla cheesy wow thats gr8 thanks for sharing.

(1) (Reply)

Who's Winning Westeros? Beware The Night King Before 'game Of Thrones' Season 8 / Ramsey Noah Vs. Van Vicker / Joseph Benjamin, MTN Project Fame Presenter Caught On Camera In Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.