Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,916 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

Please My Mum Needs Your Help! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please My Mum Needs Your Help! (3563 Views)

Nairalanders - FOLAKE Needs Your Help and !!!!! / Young woman 27 suffers from breast cancer needs your prayer / Hiv Positive Guy In Dilenma And Needs your Help. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 2:46pm On Aug 22, 2014
I am creating this topic as a last resort, since everything we tried to solve this issue have so far proved abortive.

For over a month, my mum has been itching seriously, mostly @ night and the discomfort prevents her from sleeping throughout the night. During the day, everything is normal but once it is night, stuff like hives start appearing on her skin, which itches until dawn. Then in the morning, the hives disappear & the itching stops until night time when thesame thing repeats itself. We have used drugs prescribed by doctors, yet no improvement.

Please what else can we do?
Thanks in anticipation of your helpful response.
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by donLEXY(m): 3:00pm On Aug 22, 2014
Your story caught my attention, then I decided to research a little about what could be going on, I think this study from wake forest university school of medicine may enlighten you a little.....

http://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/content/?doi=10.2340/00015555-0280&html=1

I pray something good comes out from that to your mum

2 Likes

Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by phreakabit(m): 4:05pm On Aug 22, 2014
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by lomaxx: 4:58pm On Aug 22, 2014
4tunebest: I am creating this topic as a last resort, since everything we tried to solve this issue have so far proved abortive.

For over a month, my mum has been itching seriously, mostly @ night and the discomfort prevents her from sleeping throughout the night. During the day, everything is normal but once it is night, stuff like hives start appearing on her skin, which itches until dawn. Then in the morning, the hives disappear & the itching stops until night time when thesame thing repeats itself. We have used drugs prescribed by doctors, yet no improvement.

What did the doctors do for her?
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by Lagusta(m): 5:52pm On Aug 22, 2014
4tunebest: I am creating this topic as a last resort, since everything we tried to solve this issue have so far proved abortive.

what kind of night gown/ bed sheets does your mom wear to sleep??

Does she use the a/c while asleep??

What did your docs give her for treatment??

1 Like

Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 7:56pm On Aug 22, 2014
Lagusta:
what kind of night gown/ bed sheets does your mom wear to sleep??
Does she use the a/c while asleep??
What did your docs give her for treatment??

She has changed night gown/bed sheets severally.

The environment she sleeps in is very condusive

She was given piriton & multivitamins
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 8:08pm On Aug 22, 2014
lomaxx:

What did the doctors do for her?

She was placed on admission & given intraveinous fluids
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by Lagusta(m): 8:08pm On Aug 22, 2014
4tunebest:

She has changed night gown/bed sheets severally.

The environment she sleeps in is very condusive

She was given piriton & multivitamins

changing night gowns isnt the issue, but changing the MATERIAL!!!

Some people react to nulon/rayon fabrics, so maybe you can switch to pure cotton i:e 100pc cotton...

Giving piriton may not help since its not histamine-mediated...

Also, try fumigating your mom's bed... Some silly insects may be tormenting her...

You may try creams with anti-inflammatory properties like funbact A, but please mix it with a plain body cream, dont use it raw...

Also, see the doc concerning the piriton...

1 Like

Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 8:11pm On Aug 22, 2014
Lagusta:

changing night gowns isnt the issue, but changing the MATERIAL!!!

Some people react to nulon/rayon fabrics, so maybe you can switch to pure cotton i:e 100pc cotton...

Giving piriton may not help since its not histamine-mediated...

Also, try fumigating your mom's bed... Some silly insects may be tormenting her...

You may try creams with anti-inflammatory properties like funbact A, but please mix it with a plain body cream, dont use it raw...

Also, see the doc concerning the piriton...

Thank you so much
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by Lagusta(m): 8:16pm On Aug 22, 2014
4tunebest:

habaaa, why would a hospital place someone with no past history of vomiting/stooling or high fever on IV fluids?? ?? ??

Well, the doc has his reasons
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by Lagusta(m): 8:23pm On Aug 22, 2014
4tunebest:

Thank you so much

uwelcome....
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by lomaxx: 9:31pm On Aug 22, 2014
4tunebest:

If she sleeps on the same bed in the daytime, does she itch?

What part of the body itches? Hands , legs or everywhere?
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 10:23pm On Aug 22, 2014
lomaxx:
If she sleeps on the same bed in the daytime, does she itch?
What part of the body itches? Hands , legs or everywhere?

No she doesn't itch if she sleeps on the same bed during the day.

Every part of her body itches throughout the night.
Thanks. Really looking forward to your response
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by lomaxx: 11:35pm On Aug 22, 2014
4tunebest:

No she doesn't itch if she sleeps on the same bed during the day.

Every part of her body itches throughout the night.
Thanks. Really looking forward to your response

How long has she had the itch?
Is she asthmatic?
Does she have allergies?
Is she unusually tired?
Are her eyes unusually yellow - even if its a tint?
Does she pass dark colored urine?

cc: Lagusta

I think her mom's pruritus may be unrelated to hygiene or the bed material. If it were, she would be having it in the daytime as well, because she obviously uses the same bed in the daytime. It would less likely be any of the dermatitis- exposure to the same conditions occur at all times of the day yet the itch chooses to come at night. Also, may not be atopy- atopy uses the type1 hypersensitivity reaction mediated by histamine from mast cell degran. Piriton would have taken care of it.

Maybe it's a systemic condition. Uremia and cholestasis comes to mind. Uremia has a continuous itch- day and night. Cholestatic pruritus occurs mainly at night- a possibility. But only co-symptoms, liver function test and serum bilirubin level would nail the diagnosis.

My humble submission.

1 Like

Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by Cool: 1:10am On Aug 23, 2014
I'm about to mention something that people do not like to hear because it's erroneously linked to uncleanliness or dirty surroundings. However, the linkage is false. So, here it is:

Bed bugs

Do these to look for it.

1. Put a light coloured bed sheet on your mum's bed and let her sleep on it (just to help you see the insect quicker than on a dark coloured sheet).
2. Put off the light when she goes to sleep.
3. About 3am, put on the light in the room and get powerful fluorescent lamps
4. Examine the bedsheet, the bed frame and the seams of the mattress for crawling insects which look like beans weevils.
5. If you see any, don't be afraid, they don't carry disease. Just take toilet roll and squeeze one of them. Blood will likely ooze out; just like from a mosquito.

If this happens, the diagnosis is confirmed and we can discuss eradication.

With bed bugs, itching occurs at night because that is when they feed and it's the human body reaction to the feeding that causes itching.

Regards,

Cool

2 Likes

Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by etenyong(m): 2:58am On Aug 23, 2014
After several medical prescriptions yet it doesn't provide solution, i think spiritual solution should now be considered. There is nothing God cannot do. With prayer and supplication to God ur mum wil surely be heal in Jesus Name.

1 Like

Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 5:29am On Aug 23, 2014
lomaxx:

Is she asthmatic?
Does she have allergies?
Is she unusually tired?

She has been itching for over a month
No. She isn't asthmatic
She doesn't have any allergy that we know of
Yes. She is unusually tired @ times
She has bright white eyes
Her urine colour is normal, only that it foams

In addition, she is usually nauseous but she hasn't vomitted @ any time

Loss of appetite. She has been forcing herself to eat.

Just yesterday, she developed sore throat.
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 5:32am On Aug 23, 2014
Cool: I'm about to mention something that people do not like to hear because it's erroneously linked to uncleanliness or dirty surroundings. However, the linkage is false. So, here it is:

Bed bugs

Do these to look for it.

1. Put a light coloured bed sheet on your mum's bed and let her sleep on it (just to help you see the insect quicker than on a dark coloured sheet).
2. Put off the light when she goes to sleep.
3. About 3am, put on the light in the room and get powerful fluorescent lamps
4. Examine the bedsheet, the bed frame and the seams of the mattress for crawling insects which look like beans weevils.
5. If you see any, don't be afraid, they don't carry disease. Just take toilet roll and squeeze one of them. Blood will likely ooze out; just like from a mosquito.

If this happens, the diagnosis is confirmed and we can discuss eradication.

With bed bugs, itching occurs at night because that is when they feed and it's the human body reaction to the feeding that causes itching.

Regards,

Cool

Thanks. Someone else sleeps on thesame bed & doesn't itch
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by lomaxx: 7:52am On Aug 23, 2014
4tunebest:

No. She isn't asthmatic

Night itch, nausea, loss of appetite, foamy urine, and fatigue in a woman could be one of two things : Uremia or a Cholestatic disease. Uremia has a continuous itch(day and night) - its a close possibility). (does she have leg swelling? Does Her face get puffy in the morning?)

In your body, there's a substance called bile. It contains 2 major substances: bilirubin and bile salts. These substances are put in bile by some body processes. Problem arises when these substances are not put in bile but retained by the body. A high retention of these substances make them increase in concentration in the blood. So a high retention of bile salts would lead to increased concentration of bile salt in the body while a high retention of bilirubin would cause a increased concentration of bilirubin in the body.

I hope you're following.

What the symptoms would be would depend on what substance is more increased. Sometimes, the bile salts are very increased while the bilirubin is normal or moderately elevated and vice versa. For example, in your mothers case, it's very possible that the bile salts are very increased( she has nocturnal itch, nausea, fatigue and most importantly foamy urine) while the bilirubin is still normal or slightly increased. Only a laboratory test would confirm this.

The fact that piriton failed woefully in relieving the itch goes ahead to strengthen the diagnosis of a Cholestatic condition. The itch that comes from a cholestasis is mediated by opiate pathways(very far apart from the realms of piriton). Hence, treatment failures are always recorded.

A liver function test, serum bile salt and serum bilirubin estimation by the labs would confirm these findings.

Most importantly, you might want to take your mom to see a gastroenterologist. Mention the positive findings we've discovered so far when you do.

I hope I've been very helpful.

2 Likes

Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 8:43am On Aug 23, 2014
lomaxx:

Night itch, nausea, loss of appetite, foamy urine, and fatigue in a woman could be one of two things : Uremia or a Cholestatic disease. Uremia has a continuous itch(day and night) - its a close possibility). (does she have leg swelling? Does Her face get puffy in the morning?)

In your body, there's a substance called bile. It contains 2 major substances: bilirubin and bile salts. These substances are put in bile by some body processes. Problem arises when these substances are not put in bile but retained by the body. A high retention of these substances make them increase in concentration in the blood. So a high retention of bile salts would lead to increased concentration of bile salt in the body while a high retention of bilirubin would cause a increased concentration of bilirubin in the body.

I hope you're following.

What the symptoms would be would depend on what substance is more increased. Sometimes, the bile salts are very increased while the bilirubin is normal or moderately elevated and vice versa. For example, in your mothers case, it's very possible that the bile salts are very increased( she has nocturnal itch, nausea, fatigue and most importantly foamy urine) while the bilirubin is still normal or slightly increased. Only a laboratory test would confirm this.

The fact that piriton failed woefully in relieving the itch goes ahead to strengthen the diagnosis of a Cholestatic condition. The itch that comes from a cholestasis is mediated by opiate pathways(very far apart from the realms of piriton). Hence, treatment failures are always recorded.

A liver function test, serum bile salt and serum bilirubin estimation by the labs would confirm these findings.

Most importantly, you might want to take your mom to see a gastroenterologist. Mention the positive findings we've discovered so far when you do.

Thank you so much. You've been very helpful. We would do everything you suggested & I'll let you know the outcome.
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 8:43am On Aug 23, 2014
lomaxx:

I hope you're following.

Thank you so much. You've been very helpful. We would do everything you suggested & I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks once again
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by Lagusta(m): 8:45am On Aug 23, 2014
lomaxx:

Is she asthmatic?
Does she have allergies?
Is she unusually tired?

cc: Lagusta

I think her mom's pruritus may be unrelated to hygiene or the bed material. If it were, she would be having it in the daytime as well, because she obviously uses the same bed in the daytime. It would less likely be any of the dermatitis- exposure to the same conditions occur at all times of the day yet the itch chooses to come at night. Also, may not be atopy- atopy uses the type1 hypersensitivity reaction mediated by histamine from mast cell degran. Piriton would have taken care of it.

Maybe it's a systemic condition. Uremia and cholestasis comes to mind. Uremia has a continuous itch- day and night. Cholestatic pruritus occurs mainly at night- a possibility. But only co-symptoms, liver function test and serum bilirubin level would nail the diagnosis.

My humble submission.

that could also be a reason why she was admitted!!!

@op, please answer the questions concerning yellowness of eyes and coke-colored urine.....

Also, ask your mom if she passes white stools that are hard to flush
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by Lagusta(m): 9:00am On Aug 23, 2014
4tunebest:

No. She isn't asthmatic

wait, did you say frothy/ foamy urine...

Please, i'm so sorry, i just want you to answer these questions before you go see a gastroenterologist...

Has your mom ever been stung by a scorpion/bee??

Does your mom use any soap containing mercury e.g tura soap??

Maybe you guys should do a urinalysis, quite cheap, but could reveal the culprit!!!

Nephrotic syndrome sometimes comes with itching...

Also, answer what lomaxx asked concerning puffy face in the morning... In fact, does she have any swelling whatsoever??
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 10:17am On Aug 23, 2014
Lagusta:
wait, did you say frothy/ foamy urine...
Please, i'm so sorry, i just want you to answer these questions before you go see a gastroenterologist...
Has your mom ever been stung by a scorpion/bee??
Does your mom use any soap containing mercury e.g tura soap??
Maybe you guys should do a urinalysis, quite cheap, but could reveal the culprit!!!

Nephrotic syndrome sometimes comes with itching...
Also, answer what lomaxx asked concerning puffy face in the morning... In fact, does she have any swelling whatsoever??

She doesn't have any swelling but sometimes, her face & lips are puffy early in the morning; maybe once a week.

Her soap doesn't contain mercury. The last time She used Tura soap was about 20 years ago. Thanks for your help
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 10:28am On Aug 23, 2014
Lagusta:

that could also be a reason why she was admitted!!!

@op, please answer the questions concerning yellowness of eyes and coke-colored urine.....

Also, ask your mom if she passes white stools that are hard to flush

She was placed on admission because her blood sugar was very high, & had to be brought back to normal.

She doesn't pass out white stools
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by Lagusta(m): 10:44am On Aug 23, 2014
4tunebest:

She was placed on admission because her blood sugar was very high, & had to be brought back to normal.

She doesn't pass out white stools

okay....

Please do the following tests for your mom...

Liver functuin tests (LFTs)
urinalysis
e/u/cr

please endeavour to post the results here, or send a private mail to me or lomaxx

mine is eedrisology@gmail:com
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by Lagusta(m): 10:45am On Aug 23, 2014
Also, do an abdominopelvic scan...
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by lomaxx: 10:49am On Aug 23, 2014
4tunebest:

She doesn't have any swelling but sometimes, her face & lips are puffy early in the morning; maybe once a week.

Her soap doesn't contain mercury. The last time She used Tura soap was about 20 years ago. Thanks for your help

Lagusta isnt the diagnosis clear? grin grin

Nephrotic syndrome secondary to uncontrolled diabetes mellitus complicated by Uraemia.

Medicine is beautiful.

Lagusta what do you think? An endocrinologist should suffice. The cholestasis should be kept in mind though. Labs would confirm.

2 Likes

Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by Lagusta(m): 10:53am On Aug 23, 2014
lomaxx:

Nephrotic syndrome secondary to uncontrolled diabetes mellitus complicated by Uraemia.

Medicine is beautiful.

Lagusta what do you think? An endocrinologist should suffice.

one bottle of alomo for you joor, with alutacontinua to top it up!!! grin grin
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 10:54am On Aug 23, 2014
lomaxx:

Medicine is beautiful.

Lagusta what do you think? An endocrinologist should suffice.

Thank you so much. Based on your post, what should we do apart from seeing a gastroenterologist?

Lagusta:
okay....
Please do the following tests for your mom...
urinalysis
e/u/cr
please endeavour to post the results here, or send a private mail to me or lomaxx
mine is eedrisology@gmail:com

Okay we will thanks so much. God bless you and Lomaxx
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by lomaxx: 10:55am On Aug 23, 2014
Lagusta:

one bottle of alomo for you joor, with alutacontinua to top it up!!! grin grin

That babe dey yankee sha. I can sha still manage the ones around here grin grin
Re: Please My Mum Needs Your Help! by 4tunebest(f): 11:01am On Aug 23, 2014
@ Lagusta & Lomaxx, in summary we should do the following tests:

urinalysis
e/u/cr
serum bile salt
serum bilirubin estimation
Abdominopelvic scan

Then we should see a gastroenterologist & an endocrinologist.

Any addition or subtraction? Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obesity Is Fast Increasing In Africa And Nigeria / First Swine Flu Death Recorded In Africa / OMG! This Video Will Shock You- Baby Born En Caul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.