Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,089 members, 7,814,786 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (460) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (866846 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (457) (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by coobboy(m): 12:18pm On Apr 23, 2015
supertravell:
Bye bye to your post
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by worry357: 12:20pm On Apr 23, 2015
coobboy:

Bye bye to your post

Should have paid Sean for an advert. grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by codedove: 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2015
samnoah:
#Interviewtranscript

Fellas, and so I came, saw, and conquered!

My visa was approved at the Lagos Embassy yesterday afternoon.

Preamble:

I was at the embassy on the 1st of April for my interview. I was in the 6:30am slot. My School was supposed to resume on the 19th of August. For some reasons I had to go to the embassy early because (1.) I got two offers, one in Canada and the other in the US. The Canadian offer gave me till 30th of March to decide and I asked them to extend my decision period till 10th of April and they accepted. I did this to buy time because I had already started the US processing before I got their offer. So with that extension from Canada, I had to go to the embassy on time. As it were, I didn't want to lose in two places and was trusting God that no matter what happen, one will come through as per visa issue. But I was more afraid of the Canadian Visa issue than US for whatever reason sha...

And so my interview on the 1st of April at US Lagos Consulate went does:

VO (Male): Good morning
Me: Good morning with smiles
VO: Pass your passport
Me: Pass it
VO: Place your four left fingers on the scanner
Me: Do same
VO: Checking on the system and then asked, what are you going to do in US
Me: I'm going for my doctorate
VO: Oh, ok.
Me: Fix my eyes on him
VO: Oh, you are going to the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign?
Me: Yes
VO: Why a doctoral program at this time
Me: I recently completed a Master's degree in Information Science and my interest has been in the intersection between people and technologies. I am interested in how people use technology and the best way technology can be created to benefit a given group of people. Hence I am focusing on community informatics at my PhD level with specific interest in multilingual devices for indigenous language speakers in Nigeria.
VO: Nodding, I see
VO: Are you working with a specific professor in the school?
Me: Yes, told him the name of my advisor and her specialization
VO: How did you get to chose this School?
Me: I used google to streamline my choice based on my interest at the PhD level and I saw a couple of schools which UIUC was part
VO: When do you intend to travel
Me: August 10 ( I already wrote this while filling the DS 160)
VO: Who is sponsoring your trip
Me: My uncle will be sponsoring me although I have an assistantship from the School covering tuition with monthly stipend
VO: You are travelling August 4?
Me: No I said August 10
VO: Then he typed for long and then began to count his fingers. I'm sure he was trying to consider the 120 days rule. He counted his fingers like twice (you know 120days is four months and so he was counting from April to August I guess). Then he left his counter and beckoned to a colleague and that one took a look at the application on the system and they discussed for like a minute. Then he told me: "you know what, I am approving your visa, but I can't issue it now. There is a 120days rule for f-1 visa."
Then he offered me a while paper and wrote on it that I should come back 12pm any Monday or Wednesday on or after 22 of April(this will be exactly 120days to my resumption)
VO: Do you have any questions for me
Me: Ok, I will like to know if the interview will be all over again and will I be interviewing with you or any other person
VO: Not really, you may just be asked a few questions. Just come with all your documents.
Then he asked me to return the white paper and he wrote on it that f-1 visa can't be issued until 120days to resumption, return on 22nd April and signed.
Me: Collected my passport and left feeling cool anyway

Note: No document was asked except my passport, I-20 and sevis receipt

Fastforward:

22nd April
VO: Good afternoon
Me: Good afternoon
Me: Passed it
VO: Oh, you were here earlier this month
Me: Yes, April 1st
VO: With smile, you came earlier than the issuing period for your type of Visa. Today is about the right time. You are going for your PhD right?
VO: Removed my I-20 and passed it to me. Make sure you always keep that in your hand luggage when travelling. Picks a white paper with location to pick my passport and circled it. Pick your passport here on Monday. Have a great day
Me: Thank you

NB: I know the 120days rule, but I have to take that chance because of my situation and thank God it didn't work against me. Plenty of prayers went with it though!

Thanks guys...

Congrat bro....welcome to obamaland. I need a flight partner bro, moreover i need to discuss with you relating to PhD package.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by klarke(m): 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2015
Folarge06:
Sorry For the Denial...Why not defer your admission

Thanks, i have thought about that too. someone told me that i can go for express booking if i want to meet up with the May 22 date.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by coobboy(m): 12:23pm On Apr 23, 2015
worry357:

Should have paid Sean for an advert. grin grin grin grin
Lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by codedove: 12:24pm On Apr 23, 2015
pcbo:
Sch opens on 13 August as stated on my I-20
Can I go to US on 15th july n also will like to be in New York for some days before going to de state of my sch,is it red flag to de immigration officials at de point of entry
NB:is it possible to book my flight for july now?
You are good to go bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Folarge06(m): 12:24pm On Apr 23, 2015
Mehn this Part 6 is almost gone without my success transcript..
I'm coming with a testimony on Part 7
Can't wait
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 23, 2015
You're lucky. You gambled and it paid off.
Bravo!!
samnoah:
#Interviewtranscript

Preamble:

I was at the embassy on the 1st of April for my interview. I was in the 6:30am slot. My School was supposed to resume on the 19th of August. For some reasons I had to go to the embassy early because (1.) I got two offers, one in Canada and the other in the US. The Canadian offer gave me till 30th of March to decide and I asked them to extend my decision period till 10th of April and they accepted. I did this to buy time because I had already started the US processing before I got their offer. So with that extension from Canada, I had to go to the embassy on time. As it were, I didn't want to lose in two places and was trusting God that no matter what happen, one will come through as per visa issue. But I was more afraid of the Canadian Visa issue than US for whatever reason sha...

Me: I recently completed a Master's degree in Information Science and my interest has been in the intersection between people and technologies. I am interested in how people use technology and the best way technology can be created to benefit a given group of people. Hence I am focusing on community informatics at my PhD level with specific interest in multilingual devices for indigenous language speakers in Nigeria.
Me: I used google to streamline my choice based on my interest at the PhD level and I saw a couple of schools which UIUC was part
Me: My uncle will be sponsoring me although I have an assistantship from the School covering tuition with monthly stipend
VO: Then he typed for long and then began to count his fingers. I'm sure he was trying to consider the 120 days rule. He counted his fingers like twice (you know 120days is four months and so he was counting from April to August I guess). Then he left his counter and beckoned to a colleague and that one took a look at the application on the system and they discussed for like a minute. Then he told me: "you know what, I am approving your visa, but I can't issue it now. There is a 120days rule for f-1 visa."
Then he offered me a while paper and wrote on it that I should come back 12pm any Monday or Wednesday on or after 22 of April(this will be exactly 120days to my resumption)
Me: Ok, I will like to know if the interview will be all over again and will I be interviewing with you or any other person
VO: Not really, you may just be asked a few questions. Just come with all your documents.
Then he asked me to return the white paper and he wrote on it that f-1 visa can't be issued until 120days to resumption, return on 22nd April and signed.

Fastforward:

22nd April
VO: With smile, you came earlier than the issuing period for your type of Visa. Today is about the right time. You are going for your PhD right?
VO: Removed my I-20 and passed it to me. Make sure you always keep that in your hand luggage when travelling. Picks a white paper with location to pick my passport and circled it. Pick your passport here on Monday. Have a great day

NB: I know the 120days rule, but I have to take that chance because of my situation and thank God it didn't work against me. Plenty of prayers went with it though!

Thanks guys...

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 12:27pm On Apr 23, 2015
samnoah:
#Interviewtranscript

Preamble:

Fastforward:

22nd April

Thanks guys...

Congrat bro. Please let's hook up. I'm heading to Illinois too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by pcbo: 12:43pm On Apr 23, 2015
akin3102:
Am surprised your school resume by 13th August and you have already gone for the interview and have your visa in possession.it means 120 days rule doesn't affect you.slimmy05, dis ur Ghanaian friend needs screening.
Went for my interview on 15th april,so just do de calculation ,what will I gain to lie ,if u don't believe me dat is ur headache ,u can ask bigfrancis abt me,am jux a genuine student eager to go n learn
Dont have time to lie n moreover we r here to help each other not to cast aspersions on each other
Peace
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by akin3102(m): 12:49pm On Apr 23, 2015
Am just curious cos my school resumes 21st August and am waiting patiently till May before I will book my appointment..congrats and best of luck bro..enjoy ur stay in obamaland.
pcbo:

Went for my interview on 15th april,so just do de calculation ,what will I gain to lie ,if u don't believe me dat is ur headache ,u can ask bigfrancis abt me,am jux a genuine student eager to go n learn
Dont have time to lie n moreover we r here to help each other not to cast aspersions on each other
Peace
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by pcbo: 12:52pm On Apr 23, 2015
akin3102:
Am just curious cos my school resumes 21st August and am waiting patiently till May before I will book my appointment..congrats and best of luck bro..enjoy ur stay in obamaland.
Thank u n good luck in ur interview
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 1:39pm On Apr 23, 2015
Technolee biko where are thou ? Let's finish the talk mbok
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ctemi(f): 2:06pm On Apr 23, 2015
innovativeame:
Technolee biko where are thou ? Let's finish the talk mbok
Which side in illinois are you heading to?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:27pm On Apr 23, 2015
samnoah:

Ghanaians are usually issued visas equivalent of the number of years for their program. Different countries with different visa rules. I'm sure it's not the best for us as Nigerians to always have to either come back to our country after 2years for renewal or go to neighboring country like canada in the case of programs extending beyond 2years. I believe our relationship with US in this regard will change soon so students can be given visas for the duration of their study. Congrats @pcbo.
The visa officer on nairaland said the reason we get two years is because Nigeria only issue them 2years visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by kellycute(m): 2:43pm On Apr 23, 2015
Wow that's tit for tat damn!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 23, 2015
akin3102:
Am surprised your school resume by 13th August and you have already gone for the interview and have your visa in possession.it means 120 days rule doesn't affect you.slimmy05, dis ur Ghanaian friend needs screening.

Exactly what I was thinking. Something is funny here.
Did US waive their rules for him?
We continue to observe. Lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ctemi(f): 2:52pm On Apr 23, 2015
innovativeame:

Congrat bro. Please let's hook up. I'm heading to Illinois too.
Heading to illinois too
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by akin3102(m): 3:02pm On Apr 23, 2015
The 120 days rule applies to him the day he went for the interview and the resumption date.people have started going for interview for fall 2015..The Race has already begun
ebdib:

Exactly what I was thinking. Something is funny here.
Did US waive their rules for him?
We continue to observe. Lol

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by samnoah(m): 3:52pm On Apr 23, 2015
slimmy05:
The visa officer on nairaland said the reason we get two years is because Nigeria only issue them 2years visa.

Slimmy, did you get my post at all? Right from when pcbo posted his interview script he mentioned that he is a Ghanaian, I never doubt the five years visa stuff. You are already in US, ask a Ghanaian if you have one in your school. A Ghanaian is in medical College with my cousin at Howard and its same thing. While my cousin was issued 2years as a Nigerian the Ghanaian was issued visa covering the period of his study.

The Point:

The US issues visa covering the duration of study to Ghanaian students unlike for us (Nigerians). Their foreign relation with us I guess stipulates that no matter how many years your program is, you will only be issued a 2-year visa then you can go back and renew when it expires.

You should interact with international students in your school, you are likely to see that the duration of student visas for each country may likely differ based on agreed foreign immigration rule with individual countries.... Your response seem sarcastic though, please watch it! I am never a visa officer on nairaland but a beneficiary of great minds here.... Peace.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 23, 2015
samnoah:

Slimmy, did you get my post at all? Right from when pcbo posted his interview script he mentioned that he is a Ghanaian, I never doubt the five years visa stuff. You are already in US, ask a Ghanaian if you have one in your school. A Ghanaian is in medical College with my cousin at Howard and its same thing. While my cousin was issued 2years as a Nigerian the Ghanaian was issued visa covering the period of his study.

The Point:

The US issues visa covering the duration of study to Ghanaian students unlike for us (Nigerians). Their foreign relation with us I guess stipulates that no matter how many years your program is, you will only be issued a 2-year visa then you can go back and renew when it expires.

You should interact with international students in your school, you are likely to see that the duration of student visas for each country may likely differ based on agreed foreign immigration rule with individual countries.... Your response seem sarcastic though, please watch it! I am never a visa officer on nairaland but a beneficiary of great minds here.... Peace.
I am much aware that foreign relations with other nationals in terms of visa issuance differs like China. That of China even convers visiting. I really do not have the luxury of time to be asking people how many years visa they get. I have better things to do. I was only surprised Ghanaians also benefits from the 5years visa too.

My aim of interracting with people is not to ask them how many years visa they get. It's absolutely not my concern. The five years visa is nonsense except you intend to continue schooling. The two years issued to Nigerians only pose difficulty when they want to travel back home when visa expires. But if your I-20 states 5years, you can stay without any issues for 5years even when your 2years visa expires.

I only stated the reason why we get two years visa according to the VO on nairaland.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Dopekidd(m): 4:08pm On Apr 23, 2015
Walspring:

Its valid forever but schools will ask you at least 2 to 5 years validity...

You decide on when to register since you will be the one to write it and not people here on NL
. Lol okay..thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by samnoah(m): 4:11pm On Apr 23, 2015
slimmy05:
I am much aware that foreign relations with other nationals in terms of visa issuance differs like China. That of China even convers visiting. I really do not have the luxury of time to be asking people how many years visa they get. I have better things to do. I was only surprised Ghanaians also benefits from the 5years visa too.

My aim of interracting with people is not to ask them how many years visa they get. It's absolutely not my concern. The five years visa is nonsense except you intend to continue schooling. The two years issued to Nigerians only pose difficulty when they want to travel back home when visa expires. But if your I-20 states 5years, you can stay without any issues for 5years even when your 2years visa expires.

Bro, I've not been to the US and believe me, I know all these you are saying. Not new really. I was just surprised when most people find it difficult to believe the Ghanaian guy. Was just not cool with your sarcastic tone in my simple reply to you @nairaland visa offer or whatever. Anyway I've been on this forum since 2011 or thereabout and I have enjoyed a lot from everyone including you. Just be simple in your reply to people and tag no one any name they don't bear. Thank God I've shared my own success story here today as well. And I must appreciate you and other great guys especially @imperioux...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 4:13pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ctemi:

Which side in illinois are you heading to?
Ctemi, are u changing state? Remember I'm a beginner oooooo grin
I'm heading to Normal in Illinois. ISU, 2hrs from Chicago I guess. Where are u heading to?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 23, 2015
samnoah:

Bro, I've not been to the US and believe me, I know all these you are saying. Not new really. I was just surprised when most people find it difficult to believe the Ghanaian guy. Was just not cool with your sarcastic tone in my simple reply to you @nairaland visa offer or whatever. Anyway I've been on this forum since 2011 or thereabout and I have enjoyed a lot from everyone including you. Just be simple in your reply to people and tag no one any name they don't bear. Thank God I've shared my own success story here today as well. And I must appreciate you and other great guys especially @imperioux...
I want you to quote where I was being sarcastic? Or are you over excited? I was only surprised that's why when he got his visa he mentioned me so to confirm. I only wanted to know, I never doubted him, I was just surprised. Please, never tag me along with others. I don't effing care if you've been here since seun created nairaland. I am here to learn, the reason I told him to let me know when he gets his visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by samnoah(m): 4:17pm On Apr 23, 2015
slimmy05:

I only stated the reason why we get two years visa according to the VO on nairaland.

Then I read you wrong, didn't know we have a VO on nairaland bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
samnoah:

Then I read you wrong, didn't know we have a VO on nairaland bro.
You need to stop trolling, I don't take it likely. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by codedove: 4:24pm On Apr 23, 2015
Anybody schooling or heading to Oklahoma?..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by samnoah(m): 4:24pm On Apr 23, 2015
slimmy05:
Or are you over excited?

Well may be I am. And then I stop grin! Anyway, as I said, I never knew there was a VO on nairaland that explained why we get 2 years and thought you were sarcastically referring to me as VO on nairaland because of my explanation on your previous post. I don't want to see you angry bro because your response depicts you are. I appreciate you!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Ctemi(f): 5:53pm On Apr 23, 2015
innovativeame:

Ctemi, are u changing state? Remember I'm a beginner oooooo grin
I'm heading to Normal in Illinois. ISU, 2hrs from Chicago I guess. Where are u heading to?
Am actually heading to Galesburg IL 3hr frm chicago
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by innovativeame(m): 6:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ctemi, when do u plan to leave?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by amanze15(m): 6:36pm On Apr 23, 2015
akin3102:
my school resumes 11th august already got an appointment for 11th may

(1) (2) (3) ... (457) (458) (459) (460) (461) (462) (463) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.