Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,481 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us (15680 Views)

Sorry State Of Nigeria's Healthcare System (picture) / BREAKING NEWS: Nigeria's Healthcare Workers Call Of Strike / Nigerian Healthcare System: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by hazyfm: 1:46pm On Aug 26, 2014
kolawaxxy:

Bros, this thread suprise me o grin
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Kelvin0(m): 1:47pm On Aug 26, 2014
nice one
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by 9jahubcom(m): 1:47pm On Aug 26, 2014
na wa
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by RockMaxi: 1:48pm On Aug 26, 2014
Stop blaming the health sector but blame the Minister that invited him unknowingly.

“Nigeria is ready, because the Ministry has taken
every precaution, including getting the vaccines
and medicines in case there was any incident in
Nigeria

“So far, there is nothing like Ebola fever in Nigeria,
and Council was reassured that every step has
been taken to ready our country just in case,
infected persons come into the country from our
neighbouring countries,” Mr. Maku said.

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by ignis: 1:49pm On Aug 26, 2014
Characteristics of Nigerians; We always pass the blame on others. ...
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by iceberylin(m): 1:52pm On Aug 26, 2014
what do u exect from Nigeria
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by msmon(m): 1:53pm On Aug 26, 2014
Nice write up, I couldn't agree less with your analyses. I have a question though; "is there a sector we didn't fail", our problem seems an holistic one.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Swizdoe(m): 1:54pm On Aug 26, 2014
Your analysis is very correct and accurate.... But the main fault lies with the fg and nigerian civil aviation authority (NCAA)..... If they had blocked all flights to and from the eblola prone regions, we won't be in this mess right.... If patrick sawyer had entered nigeria by land or water, maybe fg might have a say but by air...... This government failed us big time

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by plainol(m): 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2014
Sawyer was a mad man. He willingly came to spread d virus.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2014
johnwizey: .
Abbey2sam: M
ayusco85: .
QMark: True
Kelvin0: !
SMH.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by poiZon: 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2014
space bookers hw una dey?

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Allohrandy(m): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2014
eaglechild: Late Patrick Sawyer was rushed to First Consultant Hospital, Lagos, on arrival. It was reported that Sawyer was initially assessed and treated for malaria, hepatitis, etc. The assessment and diagnosis of Ebola came later. The junior and senior doctors that managed Sawyer at the First Consultant Hospital FAILED at this level. With history of acute fever (plus other symptoms) and recent arrival from Liberia, the diagnosis at presentation ought to have been ebola viral disease (EVD) UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.

ABSOLUTELY NOT

Patrick Sawyer COMPLETELY denied a history of contact with an Ebola patient, the most important lead in clenching the diagnosis in the absence of specific symptoms.

He was NOT showing any SPECIFIC symptoms of Ebola on arrival, irrespective of that, the managing medical team treated him with a high index of suspicion and insisted on testing him based on his travel history, I can tell you that the diagnosis would have been completely missed if he had gone to a less professional place with more catastrophic consequences.

Patrick Sawyer deliberately endangered the lives of the medical personnel by withholding information and spraying them with contaminated body fluids.

The rest of what you wrote is OK.
I don't think the hospital knew Mr Patrick was from Liberia when he first arrived at the hospital. Like you said, Mr Patrick might have deliberately withheld information to the doctors and nurses. The symptoms of Ebola is similar to any other fever

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by ayusco85(m): 1:59pm On Aug 26, 2014
saxywale:

SMH.

jobless tongue
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Babalegba(m): 1:59pm On Aug 26, 2014
So the OP actually believe that Nigeria has an heaithcare system . Could somebody please define the word system. The president himself does not trust the Nigerian healthcare chaos and flew to Germany which does have a proper heathcare system.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
phantom: Late Patrick Sawyer was rushed to First Consultant Hospital, Lagos, on arrival. It was reported that Sawyer was initially assessed and treated for malaria, hepatitis, etc. The assessment and diagnosis of Ebola came later. The junior and senior doctors that managed Sawyer at the First Consultant Hospital FAILED at this level. With history of acute fever (plus other symptoms) and recent arrival from Liberia, the diagnosis at presentation ought to have been ebola viral disease (EVD) UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.

with all due respect the above is rubbish
Why is it rubbish? Why are Africans being checked at the world's airports?

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Allohrandy(m): 2:05pm On Aug 26, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
I heard that aspect of the story too (that Mr Sawyer denied having any contact with people with Ebola disease) but I still insist that a history of acute fever PLUS recent arrival from Liberia was sufficient to make a diagnosis of Ebola UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.
It might be possible that Mr Sawyer deliberately withheld is information from the hospital. how could the hospital know if Mr Sawyer is a Liberian or just arrived from Liberia if he didn't tell the hospital staff? Its the responsibility of customs to check for fever from travelers arriving from Liberia.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by StellaBella(f): 2:07pm On Aug 26, 2014
Did the OP port?

This man that will kill for mentioning Jonathan!

Hmmmm.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Genea(f): 2:09pm On Aug 26, 2014
Nigeria is a country of lackadisical attitude,we fail to prevent bad omens only to look for cures ,medicine after death as been a sloganin nigeria4 a long tym coming.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by djeezy(m): 2:10pm On Aug 26, 2014
I think the Op is correct and he has made some valid points above. The approaching towards curbing EVD is to treat everyone from countries of outbreak who shows systoms as being infected. Op calls it ''Presumed infected until proven otherwise''. This approach is more effective as it tends to avoid primarily and secondary contacts surveillance. The very fact that Patrick Sawyer was Liberian would have aroused suspicion of EVD on the mind of Nigerian health workers. That would have been the first thing hence further precautions. Now other countries have learnt from our mistakes by banning flights from infected countries and improving on screening procedures. Why is Nigeria always a scape goat??

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Kelvin0(m): 2:12pm On Aug 26, 2014
saxywale:

SMH.

shey u b lizard....? alamgba oshi
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by obi123: 2:12pm On Aug 26, 2014
Sunnybobo3:

Dude that's one of the questions asked when one presents with certain symptoms.

exactly, there are some symptoms one displays here in the UK and immediately they would ask you if you have been to so so so place within the past year , so that they can start the process of elimination of possible illnesses
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by ceejayluv(m): 2:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
Crying over spilt milk.. My condolences to the family of the health workers that died.. Sincerely, I feel we were even lucky that it was a high profile personality that came in with the disease. I could imagine if it were some regional merchant or one of his boys that brought the virus via some remote border, thereby dying in some low brow clinic. The outcome is better imagined.
NB. With the way the virus is still ravaging Liberia et al and the number of internally displaced and refugees that may result, the hypothetical scenario I mentioned above is not so improbable in the near future.

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by omenka(m): 2:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
kolawaxxy:

Bros, this thread suprise me o grin
Rubbish to me.

I'm not surprised. He's just setting the stage for name calling. He does this now so tomorrow when he starts criticising Tinubu, who is by no means a public office holder, he could stress that he stands on a higher moral ground, compared to progressives, having accepted his boss' record breaking failures!

We refuse to be fooled by these idiotic gimmicks and insist the current government is an all round failure!!

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by kolokolobi(m): 2:16pm On Aug 26, 2014
It's uncommon for me to agree with op on issues. That being said he spoke what was going through my mind yesterday. With the news that the disease was a few countries away the least that could be done was to be alert and have what is being done at airports currently (they had that thing pointed at me yesterday night while coming in from lagos) to screen inbound passengers especially from endemic countries.
If i heard right the info minister made promises of what he knew nothing about even as far as promising availability of vaccines. Now we know better.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by pontirock(m): 2:17pm On Aug 26, 2014
kolawaxxy: They finally succeded in hacking into insincere9igerian's account grin
haaaaaa
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by room089: 2:17pm On Aug 26, 2014
I wouldn't blame first consultant hospital for any poor handling of the index case. Before the coming of patrick sawyer into Nigeria, no body knew all the symptoms of Ebola Virus Disease. And as we were made to know, the Liberian never helped matters: he absolved and exonerated himself from any ebola case; even when he was too sure that he had contracted the virus back home.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 26, 2014
I THINK ECOWAS SHOULD DEPLOY MEDICAL PERSONNEL TO HELP THE AFFECTED COUNTRIES. Why should China far away in Asia and all these NGOSs, though helpful be the only support. All the ECOWAS countries closing their borders are just deceiving themselves. Regulate movement, but you need to help out. This disease is ravaging West Africa, you can't afford to lock up and say, oh, its just in Liberia, its none of our business. Hopefully, if it does run its course contained there, all well and good. But, if it doesn't, then too bad. It would have been easier, if all the countries rally round and give concerted efforts, treating the patients like loved individuals, and not these stigmatization. Stigmatization, will not contain Ebola.
The funding appears to be coming in now, but man power has to follow

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by edogho(m): 2:20pm On Aug 26, 2014
Mynd44: Patrick Sawyer was a medical terrorist, claiming the health officials failed in their jobs is complete silliness.

I took who says he does not intend to make sensible arguments on NL seriously. Therein lies my silliness
and what language is this mynd44? if u like ban me.
Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by PassingShot(m): 2:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
Our number one failure was failing to restrict border crossings from those countries ravaged by the EVD

Then the failure of not screening anyone coming in from those affected countries before even entering the country.

If we had done any or both of the above, we may not be talking about Ebola in Nigeria. After all the scourge has been on since early this year.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us by Z8(m): 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2014
naptu2:

+100

+200

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ebola: Stop Importing Frozen Chicken – FG Warns Nigerians / Lagos COVID-19 Cases Likely To Peak In August - Abayomi / See The 600 Years Old Man Found In India: Said Death Has Forgotten Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.