Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,512 members, 7,847,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 11:21 AM

Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo (1079 Views)

High-profile Fraud: EFCC Probes Four Judges Frustrating Probe / N60bn Sale Proceeds: EFCC Probes Amaechi / Senate Probes Obasanjo, Jonathan’s Power Sector Spendings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by PepERSprAY: 7:40pm On Oct 23, 2008
Finally, EFCC probes Obasanjo

FRIDAY OLOKOR, COSMAS EKPUNOBI, Abuja

THE Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday disclosed that it would commence investigation of ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo today.

Already, a team of the commission’s investigators are to be mandated to being the exercise.

Spokesperson of the EFCC, Mr. Femi Babfemi give the assurance when a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), the Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders (CACOL) led by Mr. Debo Adeniran protested to the commission’s zonal office in Ikoyi, Lagos where they resubmitted a petition for a probe and prosecution of Obasanjo.

Babafemi assured the group that the Executive chairman of EFCC, Mrs. Farida Waziri would leave no stone unturned to rid the nation of corrupt leaders.

"We are very much with you. The Executive chairman of EFCC, Mrs. Farida Waziri has mandated us to receive your petition on her behalf and we can assure you that immediately she receives it, operations on the investigation of Obasanjo will commence in the next 24 Hours," he stated.

The EFCC chairman, according to him, has always made it clear that the crusade against graft is a fight which must be won.

While informing the protesters that the EFCC is very much in support of their agitation for a graft-free society, he said that the anti-corruption regulation campaign would soon be launched in Abuja in a few weeks time.

Receiving the petition on behalf of its chairman, EFCCs Head of Operations in Lagos, Mr. Zubeine Muazu appreciated the efforts of CACOL and assured that justice is done to ensure that every person indicted does not escape punishment.

Zubeiru later handed over the petition to Mr. Umar Sanda, EFCC’s former Head of General Investigations, who has now heads its e-governance unit.

Sanda who received the earlier petition last year responded to allegations by Mr. Debo Adeniran that about one year after submitting the petition seeking for the prosecution of Obasanjo, the EFCC has been shielding him from facing the music.

Said he; "it is one thing for us to have received the petition but it is another thing to act on it. I assure you that the chairman will begin to act on it immediately she receives it. Things will begin to unfold in the next few days".

Before their reception by officials of the EFCC who defied the rain, Adeniran had accused the commission of collaborating with the government of President Umaru Musa Yar’ Adua to shield Obasanjo from prosecution.

"We have been able to establish a Prima facie case against Obasanjo. It is the duty of the EFCC to investigate that", he sated.

Nigerians, he threatened will move against the commission if it refuses to act fast on the prosecution of Obasanjo.

Meanwhile, Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mrs. Farida Waziri yesterday asked the Senate to quickly expunge the controversial immunity clause in the 1999 constitution to enable the agency prosecute any serving state governor that may be indicted of corruption.

The EFCC boss at a stormy session with the senate committee on Drugs and financial crimes however said that the agency has decided to shift its search light on the activities of the chief executives of banks following the alleged shady deals in the financial institution.

Already the agency has strengthened its Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) to keep close watch on the banks chief executive in line with the renewed posture of the commission to sanitize the industry

Mrs. Waziri who insisted on the establishment of special court to try indicted corrupt persons told the stunned audience that some serving state chief executive have been hiding under the immunity clause to plunder the treasury of their states.

The agency, was prepared to launch full scale offensive against chief executives of banks and other private persons in a renewed bid to sanitize the banking sector

She insisted that the immunity clause was un necessary saying "immunity makes people to be careless and reckless."

"What is happening to the country is because of our leadersThe people of this county queue in the rain and the sun to vote them and they promise when they get there they totally forget. It is against even God’s injunction for this to be happening 48 years after independence.

"Just take a trip to the local areas and see. Not a foot path, not even water. People will go and drill a hole and wait there and water gather and they are drinking worm infested water and when they are sick there are no clinics, no drugs.

"The immunity (Clause) makes people to be careless and reckless. I tell you, somebody just bought a house worth N1billion in Abuja and he has just been made a governor."

"The first job of law enforcement any where in the World is prevention of crime.

"In preventing crime, you can take steps, you can map out strategies and on suspicion that a criminal offence is committed or about to be committed you can go in there. There is a section in the EFCC Act that allows you to go in there on suspicion that an economic crime is being committed.

The EFCC boss at the meeting yesterday urged the senate to give accelerated passage to the bill seeking to amend its existing law to enable it expand its scope to include among others, powers to seize assets belonging to suspects before their conviction in court.

It is also seeking the establishment of a special economic and financial crimes court and a further amendment empowering it to continue prosecution of suspects who are challenging the jurisdiction of the court where they are charged until the dispensation of such petitions.

Waziri said the Nigeria Finance Intelligence Unit (NFIU) in the EFCC has been strengthened to keep close eye on the activities of chief executives and top officials of banks to ensure accountability and strict adherence to operational regulations in the sector.

She said the commission has started receiving useful information from the unit, which will enhance its surveillance on the bank officials who are suspected to be living above their means through dubious insider dealing in banks.

In her words "my next focus will be in banks. We have strengthened our Nigeria Finance Intelligence Unit (NFIU) to keep close eye on the activities on the chief executives and directors of banks. We know how much they earn and we know their life styles and what they are doing".

Stating that the EFCC has resolved to take the war against financial crimes to the people, Waziri lamented that some politicians and counsels to accused persons exploit some loops holes in the law to escape prosecution but assured that the commission under her is working out strategies including amendment to the laws to check the problem.

She urged the National Assembly to ensure that the immunity clause is removed from the constitution, if the fight against corruption and financial crime will be won, saying retaining the clause in the constitution is encouraging financial indiscipline and recklessness in the system. She said serving state governors enjoying constitutional immunity engage in sharp practices and cover their tracts before leaving office.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/oct/23/802.html
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 8:34pm On Oct 23, 2008
What the heck ever.
I will not be surprised if this is a plat by OBJ to have people leave him alone.
What will they find, nothing, he probably tell the EFCC to do all these and at the end of the day, declare him innocent.
I wont be jumping up, at least not yet till i see that monkey in jail or cleaning the street of Lagos.
I beg, lemme go and read another reasonable story jare.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by Kobojunkie: 10:11pm On Oct 23, 2008
Didn't Waziri already announce the EFCC's findings?
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by Epiphany(m): 10:24pm On Oct 23, 2008
Do we really think that EFCC will find anything to implicate OBJ? Even if they find, what will they do to him? All the other people who were slammed with misdemeanors nko? Are they not 'free' today?
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by PepERSprAY: 10:34pm On Oct 23, 2008
Do we really think that EFCC will find anything to implicate OBJ? Even if they find, what will they do to him? All the other people who were slammed with misdemeanors nko? Are they not 'free' today?
Can we allow them do their job first before running into conclusions?. let anyone here that has any incriminating evidence against Obasanjo come forward with it, abeg.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by blacksta(m): 8:35am On Oct 24, 2008
Going nowhere and heading downwards. Complete waste of time and resource. Lets us look at the past cases of the EFCC that itself speaks volume. I say no more
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by chidichris(m): 11:40am On Oct 24, 2008
let them get started first and the evidences will be reflecting on the day to day events even in the courts.
at least nepa will struck at all the trials to show how the funds on electricity was spent.
going by the nigerian democracy, OBJ has been confirmed guilty over a long time now so we are waiting for him to prove otherwise.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 4:24pm On Oct 24, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Can we allow them do their job first before running into conclusions?. let anyone here that has any incriminating evidence against Obasanjo come forward with it, abeg.

I feel for you oh.
Have you heard of that saying "dont expect, so u dont get disappointed?"
IF you put ur mind on OBJ being prosecuted, you will be so disappointed, till fresh blood comes into politics OBJ will be walking around like a "God's gift" to Nigeria.
So we need fresh blood, so we cld nail that sucker.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by AloyEmeka9: 4:34pm On Oct 24, 2008
Why them no wan give me the money for this investigation make i take am chop akpu?.  they should start from IBB now if they are serious, why them dey jump?
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 4:55pm On Oct 24, 2008
Aloy.Emeka:

Why them no wan give me the money for this investigation make i take am chop akpu?.  they should start from IBB now if they are serious, why them dey jump?

Cos IBB is not willing to fund the joke.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by Andala: 1:39am On Oct 27, 2008
Because he is no longer president they will now investigate but when he was president no one wanted to talk
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by kokorunna(m): 6:58pm On Oct 27, 2008
What a joke, who is probing who.

EFCC and OBJ are both corrupt.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 7:52pm On Oct 27, 2008
kokorunna:

What a joke, who is probing who.

EFCC and OBJ are both corrupt.

That is a good one.
Rogues probing thieves.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by shotster50(m): 12:31am On Oct 28, 2008
Who are they decieving We all know what the outcome will inevitably be, if ever there will be one.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by idupaul: 1:26am On Oct 28, 2008
Ok the EFCC is about to give obj a clean bill. Effcccc should be scrapped after 8 years of nothing to show
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by keba(m): 5:42am On Oct 28, 2008
This is no news lipsrsealed. We should discuss other issues and not go into things that are not real.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by james1(m): 4:04pm On Oct 28, 2008
Hello.
Hold it there and don't start trying to spread this piece of info anymore.
For the records:No one or group in this present administration can find OBJ guilty of corruption or murder.that guy is as smart as shina Rambo.
Quote me nobody fit do am anytin.
That guy covered his bases thoroughly prior to his leaving Aso Rock.there is a pact that he made the northern elites who wanted the presidency back in the hands of a northerner to sign,he knew their cravings and he gave them "tit" for "tat".
Nobody can jail that guy or take back a kobo from him:they will probe,yes,the results will never be made public.mark my words.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by mekk(m): 4:29pm On Oct 28, 2008
james1:

Hello.
Hold it there and don't start trying to spread this piece of info anymore.
For the records:No one or group in this present administration can find OBJ guilty of corruption or murder.that guy is as smart as shina Rambo.
Quote me nobody fit do am anytin.
That guy covered his bases thoroughly prior to his leaving Aso Rock.there is a pact that he made the northern elites who wanted the presidency back in the hands of a northerner to sign,he knew their cravings and he gave them "tit" for "tat".
Nobody can jail that guy or take back a kobo from him:they will probe,yes,the results will never be made public.mark my words.

Goodness!!!

where is this guy coming from and where is he going?
Are u in anyway related to this guy(Obasanjo) or are u
making these utterance based on your admiration for him?

I honestly dont understand why u think Obj is Untouchable.
he is smarting aroung simply because he hasnt met his match
in the form of a motivated and well determined leader.he would've
been chewed like a gum.

I pray he stays alive and lets see how all these will end.
No one man can be more powerful than an entire nation
save when he is given the chance.

so, quit all those pessimism of yours. just little time
will have him nailed for life
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by mekk(m): 4:40pm On Oct 28, 2008
Fhemmmy:

That is a good one.
Rogues probing thieves.

grin grin grin
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by james1(m): 4:53pm On Oct 28, 2008
Hey Mekk.
Nobody can do OBJ anything like;jail term or seizing any kobo from him.
Read my write-up again and understand that simple yet well-meaning statement of fact,as far as Nigeria is concern,there are person(s)that the laws that affect i and you don't affect.
When you start meeting-minds with certain person(s) in Nigeria you can't but accept this vital fact.
The real meaning of the probes in Nigeria is to take their own share of the public money.
Wait a minute,do you know how much they allocate for those fruitless probes that are designed to fail from on-set?you will have migraine when you find out,all hope is not lost,we can save Nigeria.
You guys think Buhari is the messiah?even Buhari can't do him anything harmful.
They will jump up,to the right side and to the left.they can't do him anything harmful.
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by BOSS7: 2:01pm On Oct 29, 2008
Are you kidding? What the hell have you been smoking? Who dare probe Obasanjo? Whatever has happened to Babangida since he left office and Abacha's son. In fact you are the one chatting crap. Obj would walk free and then you'll probably do what afterwards, hug a tree? Nobody can nail that sucker for life. Go eat your words as if you want to wait to see him nailed, then you'll wait till Jesus comes.

mekk:

Goodness!!!

where is this guy coming from and where is he going?
Are u in anyway related to this guy(Obasanjo) or are u
making these utterance based on your admiration for him?

I honestly don't understand why u think Obj is Untouchable.
he is smarting aroung simply because he hasnt met his match
in the form of a motivated and well determined leader.he would've
been chewed like a gum.

I pray he stays alive and lets see how all these will end.
No one man can be more powerful than an entire nation
save when he is given the chance.

so, quit all those pessimism of yours. just little time
will have him nailed for life
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by emotional(m): 2:07pm On Oct 29, 2008
"Finally Efcc Probes Obasanjo"Another bluckbuster from"Abujawood" film industry,from same producer(PDP´s) of d movie "Naija Election 2007" which featured "Yar naija Dua" as d president.wacth out! grin
Re: Finally, Efcc Probes Obasanjo by PepERSprAY: 12:04am On Oct 30, 2008
B.O.S.S.:

Are you kidding? What the hell have you been smoking? Who dare probe Obasanjo? Whatever has happened to Babangida since he left office and Abacha's son. In fact you are the one chatting crap. Obj would walk free and then you'll probably do what afterwards, hug a tree? Nobody can nail that sucker for life. Go eat your words as if you want to wait to see him nailed, then you'll wait till Jesus comes.

If OBJ is guilty, his sins will find him out someday but we shouldn't declare him guilty because we have animosity towards him. He could be innocent.

(1) (Reply)

Two Nigerians Produce Homemade Apc / Do You Now Feel Less Nigerian Because Of The Detroit Plane Would Be Bomber? / Al-queda Infiltrates Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.