Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,790 members, 7,817,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix (6892 Views)

Giant Fawn Gsd Pups Available For New Home / Fawn Gsd On Heat / How To Identify A Gsd Mix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Seun(m): 12:39pm On Aug 24, 2014
I got Sloan from a part-time breeder who said he was selling his dogs. His 18 month old 'sister' was advertised on a classifieds site. When I went to check her out, she turned out to be smaller than expected and too shy for my liking. I prefer confident, curious, fearless dogs. Fortunately, when we asked to see the breeder's other dogs, out came Sloan. He had the same look and was taller and bigger. He greeted his owners and then jumped to greet me before realising that he didn't know me and moving on. That bumbling behaviour really got me, so I decided on the spot to buy him instead even though the seller said he didn't want to sell him yet and charged me 15k more for him.

When I asked why he was not barking at us, the seller said he only barks at night. The seller asked me to take him for a walk to show me how hard he pulls when he is on the leash. He pulled so hard that I could not control him at all. Even "leash corrections" had no effect on him. He almost broke my fingers as he dragged me around like a piece of paper. I felt that his tenacity would serve me well. The seller told me that he has fought with other dogs including a 9 month old Caucasian puppy that he killed. Even after he killed he puppy he wouldn't let anyone get close to the carcass. I felt that his dog fighting tendencies wouldn't be a problem for me because I have no other (male) dog.

I bought him & brought him home. He was completely unresponsive to calls and not interested in interacting with me at all until I brought out my secret weapons from the fridge: corned beef & tinned tuna! I had been reading books about clicker training so I started that on the same day, rewarding him for looking at me. I posted reports about his training on this forum, but they were lost, so I'm starting afresh here.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Seun(m): 1:56pm On Aug 24, 2014
On the first night I got him, I prepared Indomie and corned beef for him and poured it into a plastic bowl. Just after serving him, I stuck a finger into the bowl to check the temperature of the Indomie because I thought it might be too hot. He bit me instantly. It was just a warning bite, though, so it was painful but didnt penetrate my skin. Only after biting me did he start growling. Dogs tend to display food aggression when fed something better than what they usually eat, e.g. a big piece of meat. I think Sloan was intoxicated by the smell of the corned beef. While we were playing the next day, he bit me again for trying to take a tennis ball from his mouth. But that was a warning bite also, just painful but with no injury. However, he also bit a guest that entered into the compound because my handiman "thought he wanted to play" with the guest and (disobediently) decided to allow it. This was not a warning bite as the guest had puncture wounds on his elbow.

Due to these incidents, I learned that my dog doesn't show obvious signs before biting, which is bad, but I also learned that he is willing to bite, which is something I need from him. I learned that he has "resource guarding" issues which means it's not safe to take things he values highly away from him. I learned to read his body language when he is in resource guarding mode; while he does not growl, he displays other signs like going stiff, lowering his head ominously, and eyeing me with the corner of his eye ("whale eye"wink. I learned to first grab his collar and pull him back if I really needed to take anything from him and he was showing those signs, so the biting stopped.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 24, 2014
Ok...

*buy your cold Zobo and kpoff kpoff!*
This is gonna be long and interesting! grin grin
Pictures please?

3 Likes

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by mebad(m): 3:48pm On Aug 24, 2014
Max max maaaaaxxxxxxxxxxx!!!! (my 1.5 yo male rott ) come and learn from uncle before I whip ur sturbborn ass

1 Like

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 24, 2014
Uncle seun finally tells us a story cheesy

Tales by doggielight. (Part 1)

4 Likes

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 24, 2014
Corned beef and sardine shocked
"Temperature tested" Indomie shocked

Wow!!! See enjoyment!!! shocked shocked shocked

This was not a warning bite as the guest had
puncture wounds on his elbow.
this is very bad. angry

1 Like

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Alikaxon(m): 4:12pm On Aug 24, 2014
Dog is not security. Stop using that as an excuse for keeping them... You love dogs, fine. The way you over emphasize them makes me wonder; when so much of your time, money, and attention is spent on "buying," "training" and "feeding" dogs; It will limit the level of your achievement. Time, energy and focus are tools, that gears meaningful achievement, if utilized well. You've achieved something already, yes, but you could achieve more, you know ? Its my opinion!

12 Likes

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 24, 2014
@Alikaxon: since when did you start caring about seuns welfare? angry

8 Likes

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Isiterere(m): 4:31pm On Aug 24, 2014
@krall: I wonder oooooo, btw, when did caring for animal become a crime? ALL IZZ WELL

2 Likes

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by sholay2011(m): 4:33pm On Aug 24, 2014
Seun Seun, awayu? How is our dog? grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Idrismusty97(m): 3:08pm On Aug 25, 2014
Excuse me....This is Sloan https://www.nairaland.com/sloan
↑ You are giving a Nairalander unnecessary mentions with this your pet dairy cheesy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Ishilove: 3:42pm On Aug 25, 2014
Errm, Seun, pishure of Sloan doing all you claim or adonbelivit!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by MzteejaY(f): 8:15pm On Aug 25, 2014
Seun just propose already...I'm sure sloan will say yes wink
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Seun(m): 9:41pm On Aug 25, 2014
My dog only knows two commands: "sit" and "down". I've been too busy (or lazy) to buy more hotdog treats and teach new commands, but when he wants anything - food, attention, freedom - I make him "sit" or go "down" or do both before giving it to him. Despite all our practice, sometimes, he still sits when I say "down" if he doesn't want to put his head down, or lies down when I say "sit" if he's tired and would rather lie down.

The next thing I'd like to teach him is to "stay" in position while sitting or lying down. I hope this will make it possible for him to "stay" indoors when I'm working. When he's indoors he keeps asking for attention, and once he stops getting it, he immediately wants to go out to work.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by emmyvet(m): 10:18pm On Aug 25, 2014
Seun: My dog only knows two commands: "sit" and "down". I've been too busy (or lazy) to buy more hotdog treats and teach new commands, but when he wants anything - food, attention, freedom - I make him "sit" or go "down" or do both before giving it to him. Despite all our practice, sometimes, he still sits when I say "down" if he doesn't want to put his head down, or lies down when I say "sit" if he's tired and would rather lie down.

The next thing I'd like to teach him is to "stay" in position while sitting or lying down. I hope this will make it possible to allow him to "stay" indoors when I'm working. When he's indoors he keeps asking for attention, and the once he stops getting it, he immediately wants to go out to work.

Well he tries as adult, training is very much easier inn puppy stage, my GSD learnt sit,lie down,stand, let's go, get in and shake just in a month.
training an adult is not easy but is somehow that the previous owner didn't even teach him the simple command
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by oluomoadebayo: 11:09pm On Aug 25, 2014
Seun: My dog only knows two commands: "sit" and "down". I've been too busy (or lazy) to buy more hotdog treats and teach new commands, but when he wants anything - food, attention, freedom - I make him "sit" or go "down" or do both before giving it to him. Despite all our practice, sometimes, he still sits when I say "down" if he doesn't want to put his head down, or lies down when I say "sit" if he's tired and would rather lie down.

The next thing I'd like to teach him is to "stay" in position while sitting or lying down. I hope this will make it possible for him to "stay" indoors when I'm working. When he's indoors he keeps asking for attention, and once he stops getting it, he immediately wants to go out to work.

To teach stay you have to jack potting the treat with the word good. It's wrong for your dog to growl at you and he is not seeing you as the leader of the pack. Establish the pack structure and your dog will come to you when called. You might need some equipment like electrics shock collar though. I use prong collar to stop my dogs from pulling as you all know I have a stubborn, powerful and fearless breed.

1 Like

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by henry007(m): 11:45am On Aug 26, 2014
Alikaxon: Dog is not security. Stop using that as an excuse for keeping them... You love dogs, fine. The way you over emphasize them makes me wonder; when so much of your time, money, and attention is spent on "buying," "training" and "feeding" dogs; It will limit the level of your achievement. Time, energy and focus are tools, that gears meaningful achievement, if utilized well. You've achieved something already, yes, but you could achieve more, you know ? Its my opinion!
why are you even in the pet section, are you looking to hinder your achievements?!

3 Likes

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by chucky234(m): 9:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ishilove: Errm, Seun, pishure of Sloan doing all you claim or adonbelivit!! angry
Caught in the act...lol
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by kuzee(m): 11:36am On Aug 28, 2014

oga seun plz how do i train this dog to stop pooing all over the place even at my varandah..
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Seun(m): 12:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
kuzee: oga seun plz how do i train this dog to stop pooing all over the place even at my varandah..
https://www.nairaland.com/1877159/how-train-puppy-poop-outside

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bizarre! Gorgeous Sexy Lady Exposes Her Fat Pussy (photos) / Is It Good To Be Feeding Dog With Raw Egg / Please Any Agent Around Ibadan or Lagos That Can Help Me Market My Dogs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.