Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” (30191 Views)

Photo: Can You Wear This Outfit? / Video Tutorial : Download Free Makeup Tutorial For Black Women / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 25, 2014
It is psychological damaging to the black psyche and self-worth; when black women wear Caucasian hair attachment, uses relaxer, use synthetic weave as an imitation of white hair type. How Black women wear their hair reflects the acceptance or rejection of their Blackness. This poor choice reveals the inferiority complex in some Black women. This addiction is mostly an attempt to assimilate to white standards of beauty and for some it is just a fashion thing in line with current vogue in black community. Such shame when black women walk into a pharmacy or beauty-supply store (especially in white-dominated environment) and shamelessly ask, “Relaxers are down which aisle?”

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 25, 2014
It is worse when you have been systematically mind-f.ucked and programmed to accept this idea of what is beautiful through everyday subliminal messages on TV, billboards and adverts. Little wonder black women after consuming oodles of these mind-bending propaganda Black women would hate to “go natural.” Weaves and other synthetic hair are often affixed to the scalp through sewing, pulling, gluing, and other manner of barbarism in the name of Euro-centric beauty aspirations. Women have also been harmed through the use of such products as relaxers and other straightening agents. Constant use these chemicals and often synthetic hair and glue have negative reactions like FIBROID linked to it. It’s a sad state of affairs, but the damage done is all in the name of assimilation.

19 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 9:51pm On Aug 25, 2014
The colonial/slave mentality is alive and well in the psyche of most blacks that share a legacy of enslavement or colonisation. It seems that no matter how much education black people receive, the colonial/slave mentality will still exist deep in our psyches unless we aggressively pursue it and expunge it. From what I see so far, the only thing education does in regards to the colonial/slave mentality, is allow the educated to use a more complex lexicon in order to hide and justify it. Very sad. (for those that don’t know what the slave mentality is, just check out Sheryl Underwood, and countless others). If you question yourself deeply and stay honest with yourself, you can eradicate that mentality that was passed down for generations.

13 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 10:20pm On Aug 25, 2014
I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

Whoever hates it should humbly take a dive into the Mediterranean sea cheesy

126 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by lirusehn(m): 10:32pm On Aug 25, 2014
^^^

undecided

@The Topic. Dey all prefer to be fake undecided

16 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by icedee1: 10:32pm On Aug 25, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

Most Importantly, I CHOOSE to go un-natural because I look tidy and cute when I get my hair done. I don't need to go everywhere with a comb or brush. Its economical and weather-friendly...attractive, protective and easy to maintain. It's not healthy to have your hair unprotected at all times, especially in seasons of Harmattan.

If it's about slave mentality, then why wear clothes and shoes? Afterall, your ancestors never had designer shirts and shoes.

most Africans especially the women are not satisfied the way God intended them to be so the cook up good excuses as to why they wear false hair,false nails,false eye lashes,even false boobs and backside too.they just want to copy the white people who colonised them,they are never free,they have also lost the true identity of an African women even some men too

64 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 25, 2014
Caracta: I don't wear my hair natural because the Nigerian weather isn't good on it. It breaks easily and hurts.

These Brazilian weavon manufacturers are looking for an advertising manager and here you are wasting away. grin

49 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Ramon92: 10:49pm On Aug 25, 2014

accept the fact that most African women including you suffer from a terrible form of low self esteem.. Don't try to make excuses to justify what is obvious.

And does your fact about your ancestors not wearing shoes or designers makes them less human than those you desperately wanna be like??

Whoever isn't proud of his/her heritage should be cast into the Atlantic...

55 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by iconize(m): 11:03pm On Aug 25, 2014
Most black women suffer from inferiority complex.

31 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by iconize(m): 11:05pm On Aug 25, 2014

Is the Nigerian weather and the Ivorian weather the same?

12 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 11:24pm On Aug 25, 2014
Three7Ty9:

These Brazilian weavon manufacturers are looking for an advertising manager and here you are wasting away. grin

Lol. I'm not a fan of weaves but I love to braid my hair.

8 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 11:25pm On Aug 25, 2014
How many of your wives, girlfriends, mothers and sisters are 100% natural?

Permit me to say they suffer from extremely low esteem too.

Hypocrites!

77 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 25, 2014
Caracta:

Lol. I'm not a fan of weaves but I love to braid my hair.

Oh well, whichever you comfy with should be fine. wink
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 11:33pm On Aug 25, 2014
icedee1: most Africans especially the women are not satisfied the way God intended them to be so the cook up good excuses as to why they wear false hair,false nails,false eye lashes,even false boobs and backside too.they just want to copy the white people who colonised them,they are never free,they have also lost the true identity of an African women even some men too

You have a point. Inasmuch as I don't use false nails, false lashes or false booobs, I strongly believe everyone should be allowed to choose freely. We all ain't the same and I hate to call people names or tag them because they don't believe in what I believe in. Come on, we really can't be the same!

Many Nigerians are hypocritical. If you want to promote your culture, wear your traditional attire to the office or for interviews. Or do we all suffer from low self-esteem?

Don't just pick the part that suits you. Be faithful in all African culture rules. I mean ALL.

88 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 11:35pm On Aug 25, 2014
Three7Ty9:

Oh well, whichever you comfy with should be fine. wink

Let me post a picture of a nice braid and 97% of them would fall over their keyboards or keypads to click the LIKE button.

13 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 11:39pm On Aug 25, 2014
Caracta:

Let me post a picture of a nice braid and 97% of them would fall over their keyboards or keypads to click the LIKE button.

Lol, I see someone is standing on your nerves tonight. Take a chill pill will you?
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 11:41pm On Aug 25, 2014
Three7Ty9:

Lol, I see someone is standing on your nerves tonight. Take a chill pill will you?

Pfffftttt. I'm ok. There are some issues that I just can't get over cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Ezibless: 11:45pm On Aug 25, 2014
It isnt really a matter of inferiority complex to some ladies. I apply relaxer to my hair and also stretch it 'cause it breaks so easily if not braided.
I feel more comfortable on my hair than on weave-on...see for yourself.
NOT ALL BLACK WOMEN DON'T LOVE THEIR NATURAL HAIR. It just need little handling to make it look more presentablegrin

And you said because it lost its original texture it aint natural again abi?
Maybe we would have exchanged hair before i started relaxing it. When you comb it twice during the harmattan season and end up with terrible MIGRAINE you'd do more than relaxing.

16 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 25, 2014
Caracta:

Pfffftttt. I'm ok. There are some issues that I just can't get over cheesy

scoffs, someone is feeling confident smiley
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 11:53pm On Aug 25, 2014
Ezibless: It isnt really a matter of inferiority complex to some ladies. I apply relaxer to my hair and also stretch it 'cause it breaks so easily if not braided.
I feel more comfortable on my natural hair...see for yourself-NOT ALL BLACK WOMEN DON'T LOVE THEIR NATURAL HAIR. It just need little handling to make it look presentablegrin

You ain't natural babe. We are talking about raw VIRGIN natural. Is you hair God-made or man-made?

You apply relaxer? shocked Why would you do that, dear African woman? Our ancestors didn't!

10 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Caracta(f): 11:54pm On Aug 25, 2014
Three7Ty9:

scoffs, someone is feeling confident smiley

Lol. Tsk tsk. Just having fun.

Goodnight.

1 Like

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 11:56pm On Aug 25, 2014
Caracta:

Lol. Tsk tsk. Just having fun.

Goodnight.

Night babe.
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Ezibless: 12:02am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta:

You ain't natural babe. We are talking about raw VIRGIN natural. Is you hair God-made or man-made?

You apply relaxer? shocked Why would you do that, dear African woman? Our ancestors didn't!
So the hair no be raw virgin again Na true ooo lolzzz. Anyways, my naturaal hair was really tough to comb hence my PRIMARY reason for relaxing my hair. But if u ask me,its still better than using attatchment and weave-on.

P.s na my mama force me to relax my hair since sec school o. She said she don tire for my cry cry anytime i wan plait if not i for stil dey with my NATURAL VIRGIN hair. grin
And my hair is God-made biko, no be relaxer make am manu-Maidiiii

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Ezibless: 12:27am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta:

You have a point. Inasmuch as I don't use false nails, false lashes or false booobs, I strongly believe everyone should be allowed to choose freely. We all ain't the same and I hate to call people names or tag them because they don't believe in what I believe in. Come on, we really can't be the same!

Many Nigerians are hypocritical. If you want to promote your culture, wear your traditional attire to the office or for interviews. Or do we all suffer from low self-esteem?

Don't just pick the part that suits you. Be faithful in all African culture rules. I mean ALL.
For this good point you just made,i promise you two HUGE

chewing gums wink

5 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by armyofone(m): 3:23am On Aug 26, 2014
Natural hair is difficult to manage.

4 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Nobody: 6:02am On Aug 26, 2014
grin grin

Silly things. In the name of weave you will see some wearing a very nasty looking, dirty, multicolored weave and be caressing it like it was theirs.

Imagine in the oppressive naija heat them go carry brazillian yaki chook for their head, and be tapping their head when it is itching them.

Tufiakwa. Filthy things.

7 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by Rawani: 6:02am On Aug 26, 2014
Caracta:

Were we born with clothes and shoes? That analogy is weak because you are born with natural hair which you wore for at least the first 10 years of your life without any worries, and you adorned it with beautiful ribbons and you were sure it was the most beautiful thing. Then you grew up and bought into the media propaganda and image of a beautiful woman which is typically with Caucasian features.

I believe our immediate society has a share of the blame because a girl is not deemed to have grown up if she does not attach extensions to her hair, we all know how girls see their graduation from secondary school as a liberation from their 'nappy, short and unattractive' braided hair. Have we forgotten how 'making your daughters hair for Xmas' meant fixing of extensions and weaves on the poor girls delicate scalp? All these leave impressions that natural hair is undesirable in the little impressionable minds of our young girls, who grow up and perpetuate the cycle. It's all about psyche and environmental conditioning.

You are not your hair.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by kobonaire(m): 6:03am On Aug 26, 2014
because Brazilian hair is so fine grin ...
also blame it on our media ... they have somehow ingrained it in our subconsciousness that a certain hair type and look is hip
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by free2ryhme: 6:04am On Aug 26, 2014
Becos of low self esteem and inferiority complex
Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by disloman(m): 6:04am On Aug 26, 2014
They don't believe in their natural beauty.

3 Likes

Re: Black Women: "Why Don’t You Wear Your Hair Natural?” by sammieguze(m): 6:04am On Aug 26, 2014
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria Finalists Emerge As Grand Finale Holds 15th Dec / 24-year-old Ajoke Tony Lawal Emerges Queen Of Nigeria Universe, Gets New Car / "Arnold Classic Muscle Building Competition" - See Muscular Women Contesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.