Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 (29485 Views)

Nigeria LNG Overseas Scholarship Scheme To Study In UK 2016 / FG Dumps 9-3-4 For 1-6-3-3-4 Educational Structure / UBE Curriculum On Computer Studies Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by delarontus(f): 11:39am On Oct 05, 2005
Tommorrow i'll post the date of the punch newspaper where it was explained. Moreover, 9-3-4 makes more sense to the education sector.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by Seun(m): 3:29pm On Oct 05, 2005
@delarontus: I'll be pleased if you can follow up on this. If what you're saying is true, then it's possible that a mistake was made by one of the newspapers.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by goodguy(m): 7:10pm On Oct 05, 2005
yeah..u guys are getting me confused now.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by delarontus(f): 1:09pm On Oct 06, 2005
I have the information but i'll have to type the text out because its the newspaper i have not the weblink.

Government hasn't abolished 6-3-3-4 system - NERDC [The Punch, Wednesday, September 28, 2005, page 9]

The Nigerian Educational Research and Develpment Council on Tuesday put to rest the speculation generated in the media last week that the Federal Government had abolished 6-3-3-4 system of education and introduced a nine-year of compulsory education.

Last week, a Nigerian newspaper [not The Punch], reported that the Federal Government had scrapped the 6-3-3-4 educational policy and replaced it with the 9-3-4 system of education.

But addressing journalists in Lagos, the NERDC Executive Secretary, Prof. Godswill Obioma, said the government had not scrapped the 6-3-3-4 system nor abolished primary education in the country.

He said the 6-3-3-4 system was entrenched in the national policy on education and unless the policy was revised, it remained effective.

He explained that to achieve the objective of the Universal Basic Education, which included Education-For-All, the Federal Governement had made it mandatory for every child to have compulsory and uninterrupted education for the first nine years.

"This new arrangement means that a child must attend the six-year primary and the three-year junior secondary school," he said.

He explained that any child that concluded the first nine years of education, depending on his or her academic qualification, could proceed to the senior secondary or, go for technical education.

By the new arrangement, the NERDC boss stated that by law, parents who refused to send their children to school for the nine-year compulsory education risked being jailed.

He also stated that the council had been mandated to prepare an appropriate curriculum for the actualisation of the nine-year basic education system.

I hope this puts to rest all the arguments.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by goodguy(m): 2:00pm On Oct 08, 2005
i c. But talking of parents who refuse to send their children to school risk being jailed, what if they don't have the money? what becomes of them?
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by layi(m): 2:28pm On Oct 08, 2005
Universal basic education/Education for all is a free programme i guess.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by goodguy(m): 11:46pm On Oct 08, 2005
if it is, then it's cool. smiley
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by WesleyanA(f): 4:27am On Oct 15, 2005
not really because some don't let their kids go to school because the kids have to work to earn some money for the family.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by cessy(f): 11:38am On May 09, 2006
i tink the rate of illitracy in dis country is getting worse and its starting rite from our leaders i tink we need to assign prayer warriors to save them b4 its to late grin
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by cessy(f): 11:45am On May 09, 2006
hmmm goodguy ure just too good, i tink dey want dose set of parents to steal and i tink it will be best to start from the leaders cos if dey shld steal from dem dey will have enof money to send them to any kind of skul dose so called leaders are just so sick. angry
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by GL(f): 4:24am On May 16, 2006
It's 9-3-4 and they're not increasing the number of years only joining the primary and junior secondary education. this is so that the minimum no of years a child can spend in school would be 9 years. I think it is a good idea and hope they can implement it. Hopefully, with the jail term awaiting any defaulting parent and the planned free lunch at schools, we can hope for a high literacy rate in some years to come.

i feel they should set up vocational or technical schools for some kids who may not have the will/funds to continue with secondary and university education.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by zebudaya(m): 8:35pm On Jul 28, 2006
This is the dumbest idea ever, the minister of Education should be shot!, there are more pressing issues in Education.
how can kids aged 6-15 be in the same school, i bet the rate of bullying would increase.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by funmi2(f): 12:37pm On Aug 04, 2006
@ zebudaya. yup, i agree wif u that the rate of bullying will increase. infact BIG TYM
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by goodguy(m): 10:10pm On Aug 06, 2006
zebudaya:

This is the dumbest idea ever, the minister of Education should be shot!, there are more pressing issues in Education.
how can kids aged 6-15 be in the same school, i bet the rate of bullying would increase.

Did you read this part? :-

He explained that to achieve the objective of the Universal Basic Education, which included Education-For-All, the Federal Governement had made it mandatory for every child to have compulsory and uninterrupted education for the first nine years.

"This new arrangement means that a child must attend the six-year primary and the three-year junior secondary school," he said.

He explained that any child that concluded the first nine years of education, depending on his or her academic qualification, could proceed to the senior secondary or, go for technical education.

A child doesn't have to be aged 15yrs and still be in the same school.  The issue here is that they must complete a minimum of 9yrs of primary and junior education, before proceeding to the senior level; even if it means spending each of the 9yrs in 9 different schools.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by zebudaya(m): 6:58pm On Aug 07, 2006
We already have existing primary and secondary schools, are you saying the government would build new "middle schools" instead of making the students stay longer in Primary school before going on to high school?

We are already doing 9 years before going to SS1, I guess OBJ's government should work on more pressing issues
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by dearie(m): 5:11pm On Aug 19, 2006
Hey guys, lets slow down! I really do not know what to believe, but if it's been modified to 9-3-4, then I dont see any reason for the 'hues and cries'

It just simply means that the minimum qualification in Nigeria will be the Junior sec. sch. cert as against the pry. sch. leaving cert. as it is now.

But the 6-9-3 configuration is just condemnable!
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by goodguy(m): 11:49pm On Aug 20, 2006
dearie:

It just simply means that the minimum qualification in Nigeria will be the Junior sec. sch. cert as against the pry. sch. leaving cert. as it is now.

Exactly!
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by Seun(m): 11:51pm On Aug 20, 2006
The "minimum" qualification in Nigeria has always been the JSCE.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by soulpatrol(f): 2:26pm On Aug 21, 2006
i propose free education for all! grin grin grin thank heavens, ive finished secondary school though!! wouldve been a disaster, haba, spending 9 years in primary/junior sec school? thats just nuts! with all that suffer suffer. why are we never moving forward when the rest of the world is? goes to show the mentality of those baboons that are ruling our contry! angry
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 26, 2008
these people are only after the benefit they will get, what was wrong with the former method?
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by Freiburger(m): 12:49am On Mar 27, 2011
^^ might be coz of the massive failure at the W.A.E.C level, i think students are less prepared for these exams with just six years.a welcomed ideal though.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by lawtochi: 5:42am On Jun 17, 2011
Please, I don't understand new system of education in my country NIGERIA is it 6-9-3 or 9-3-4 that replaced 6-3-3-4
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by tpia5: 4:35am On Apr 06, 2013
is this still on, or is it currently in the back burner.
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by tck2000(m): 6:17pm On Jun 28, 2019
dn
Re: 6-9-3 Universal Basic Education (UBE) Scheme To Replace 6-3-3-4 by ksbusari(m): 11:51pm On Jun 29, 2019
It's a step towards revamping our decaying educational system. I want to believe some experts in educational policy analysis did this and I hope it yields good results.
Our educational system needs quick resurgence.
Schools must be interesting again.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians, Stop Starting A Sentence With 'Am' Or 'i' - Comrade Nnadi Goodluck / Nairalander Recreates High School Picture / Chinese Company Renovates Public School Building In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.