Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

UNDER WORLD: The Man Who Fixed Football [PICTURE] - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / UNDER WORLD: The Man Who Fixed Football [PICTURE] (754 Views)

See The Man Teslim Balogun Stadium Lagos Was Named After At QPR,UK In 1957(pic) / Funny Football Picture: Arsenal Ramey And Mertesacker In Pursue Of UCL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

UNDER WORLD: The Man Who Fixed Football [PICTURE] by amNIGERIA: 1:43am On Aug 27, 2014
(CNN) -- He rose from humble beginnings, worked his way through the local leagues before graduating to become a major player on the international stage, netting him millions of dollars along the way.
But this isn't a tale about a footballing hero. This is a story about one of modern sport's greatest villains -- the man dubbed the most notorious match-fixer in the world.

You may not be familiar with the name Wilson Raj Perumal but given how prolific he was, you might have watched one of the games he's fixed.

"I never really counted, but I think it should be between 80-100 football matches," Perumal told CNN's Don Riddell in his first-ever television interview.

Few doors seemed to be closed to Perumal.

"I was on the bench at times, and telling players what to do, giving orders to the coach. It was that easy. There was no policing whatsoever."

Officials were just as easy to target, he boasts, with "no barriers" when approaching select referees, while certain football associations would "welcome you with open arms," he added.
It was only after his arrest and subsequent conviction in 2011 -- his fourth for football-related crimes - - that Perumal started coming clean on his former life, with the poacher-turned-gamekeeper now helping European police combat match-fixing.

In all, Perumal claims to have pocketed around $5 million himself from match-fixing.

However, he lost it all gambling, perhaps explaining why the 49-year-old recently published an autobiography, "Kelong Kings," recounting his journey from rural Singapore to football's globetrotting Mr Fix-it.

"I had my boyhood dreams. I wanted to be a soldier but during my school days I got a criminal record and couldn't really pursue what I wanted to. And then I got attracted to betting when I was about 19-20 years old," he said.
"I kind of got hooked and I didn't want to lose ... so I started fixing local matches," he says.

Perumal plied his trade in Singapore's local football leagues in the late 1980s before joining what international crime-fighting organization INTERPOL recently described as "the world's most notorious match-fixing syndicate" allegedly headed by Tan Seet Eng -- better known as "Dan Tan," who is now reportedly in detention in Singapore.
As the Internet age dawned in the mid-1990s, so Perumal's match-fixing horizons expanded.

"We could see all these matches around the world ... I had the opportunity to target vulnerable countries ... people who were prone to accept bribes," he said.
"So I registered a company and started e-mailing associations and building relationships."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/26/sport/football/match-fixing-wilson-raj-perumal-corruption/

Re: UNDER WORLD: The Man Who Fixed Football [PICTURE] by Dreal1247: 2:16am On Aug 27, 2014
Wayo is a game if you can play it successfully. But wealth gotten through fraud vanishes through fraud.
Re: UNDER WORLD: The Man Who Fixed Football [PICTURE] by Dubby6(m): 4:32am On Aug 27, 2014
No wonder to chop from football betting dey hard like that angry

(1) (Reply)

20 Funniest Sports Faces. / Virtual Football League E-book / CR7: How I Put My Career In Jeopardy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.