Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,962 members, 7,825,016 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Six Harmful Traditional Practices On Diseases - Causes And Treatment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Six Harmful Traditional Practices On Diseases - Causes And Treatment (3594 Views)

Harmful Effects Of Taking Shisha / Don’t Ruin Your Liver With Harmful Habits / Erectile Dysfunction: Causes And Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Harmful Traditional Practices On Diseases - Causes And Treatment by Realtouchnot: 8:35am On Aug 27, 2014
COMMON HARMFUL TRADITIONAL PRACTICES ON
DISEASES – CAUSES AND TREATMENT
1. Application of SCARIFICATIONS marks for treatment of conditions like
constipation, abdominal swelling or for beauty or identification. The latter is
actually a criminal offence in the Child Rights Act. The scarifications can lead
to diseases like Tetanus, transmission of HIV, hepatitis B, etc

2. Teething – use of teething Powder/syrups. I hope we all still remember the
‘My Pikin’ saga. Teething is NOT a disease; it is part of normal development.
Teething does not cause diarrhea.

3. Diarrhea – treating diarrhea with the following drugs flagyl, tetracycline,
diastop, thalazole etc are very dangerous practices indeed. Also withholding
food and drink in children with diarrhea so as to stop the stooling is very very
dangerous and can lead to death if prolonged.

4. Convulsion – putting wood, spoon, knife etc in the mouth of a convulsing
child is a dangerous practice that can damage the teeth or lips. Also putting
the hands/feet of convulsing children in fire does not stop convulsion but will
only give the child severe burns with attendant infections/chronic disability/
deaths. In fact most times for such children what kills them is the complication
of the ‘convulsion treatment’ by people instead of the convulsion itself. Using
onions, peppers, methylated spirit is also very dangerous.

5. Use of herbal concoctions. All drugs are poisons; it is the dose that
differentiates what is beneficial from what is dangerous. Though some herbal
drugs may be good but the fact that many lack dosages is a major challenge.
Also some in addition to the good part contain other toxins which can damage
major organs like liver, kidneys etc. some from our experience has been
associated with terrible complications eg SEVEN KEYS used by mothers for ?
Measles/Rashes tend to cause a serious condition known as Steven-Johnson
Syndrome. Seven Keys has no proven effect on measles. So I don’t recommend use of herbal concoction in children.

6. Self-medication – Mums are the first doctors. We recognize you and salute
you but please don’t overdo it. There are drugs you are allowed to use without
prescription but most need a doctor’s prescription. A good rule to work with is
any drug that is advertised on TV/Radio can be used without prescription,
drugs like paracetamol, antimalarials, cough mixtures, multivitamins, and worm
expellers.Antibiotics are not to be used without prescription and definitely not
routine as I know mums who treat their kids with antimalarials and antibiotics
with the slightest of complaints. PLEASE desist as this can lead to antibiotic
resistance and also some drugs have dangerous side effects.
Re: Six Harmful Traditional Practices On Diseases - Causes And Treatment by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 27, 2014
Lovely, thanks for sharing smiley
Re: Six Harmful Traditional Practices On Diseases - Causes And Treatment by Realtouchnot: 10:16am On Aug 27, 2014
xcelsia: Lovely, thanks for sharing smiley

You're welcome dear!

1 Like

Re: Six Harmful Traditional Practices On Diseases - Causes And Treatment by mamaoge: 2:58pm On Aug 27, 2014
@OP, Well done o, or whether na 'well said', but I have many issues with this your write-up.
first of all, I disagree with you on the Diarrhea treatment or non-treatment. If all those listed drugs are inappropriate, then what is the appropriate treament for diarrhea?
Re: Six Harmful Traditional Practices On Diseases - Causes And Treatment by Realtouchnot: 4:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
mamaoge: @OP, Well done o, or whether na 'well said', but I have many issues with this your write-up.
first of all, I disagree with you on the Diarrhea treatment or non-treatment. If all those listed drugs are inappropriate, then what is the appropriate treament for diarrhea?

Thanks! That's for diarrhea treatment in children, really. Over 80% of diarrhea in children are caused by viruses, so those treatment modalities are wrong. The most important thing in managing diarrhea is rehydration either with oral rehydration solution or with intravenous fluid in severe cases.
Re: Six Harmful Traditional Practices On Diseases - Causes And Treatment by Realtouchnot: 4:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
mamaoge: @OP, Well done o, or whether na 'well said', but I have many issues with this your write-up.

Thanks! That's for diarrhea treatment in children, really. Over 80% of diarrhea in children are caused by viruses, so those treatment modalities are wrong. The most important thing in managing diarrhea is rehydration either with oral rehydration solution or with intravenous fluid in severe cases. Then with adequate nutritional support.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Treatment Of Gonorrhea. Please Help!!! / Where To Buy Muscle Building Drugs In Lagos Or Benin / Ngo-inspired Bill To Integrate Anti-cancer Teachings Passes Public Hearing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.