Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,472 members, 7,830,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

How Productive Is Catfish Business. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Productive Is Catfish Business. (8437 Views)

Welcome New Innovation In Catfish Business. / Looking For Just 1 Likemind Patner In Catfish Business / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Productive Is Catfish Business. by ayodeji1(m): 12:03am On Oct 25, 2008
fellow nairalanders,
i wish to go into cat fish business and as usual,i need some knowledge on it before i embark on it.wats ur take on the business,is it really productive?wat are the neccesary problems one is likely to face in the course of the business?im into buying and selling of cars and i want to do this by the side as well.please,ur suggestion will be highly appreciated.thanks.
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by ayodeji1(m): 12:19am On Oct 25, 2008
PLS,if u want to keep ur suggestions personal for some reasons,u can mail me at okulajadeji@yahoo.com or call 08058054334.expecting to hear from good minded naira land fellows.
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by aquatic1(m): 2:31pm On Apr 12, 2011
hello catfish farmers,

good and healthy catfish is available for sale, we have different sizes the fingerlings, post fingerlings, juvenile for sale at affordable prices. you can contact us at araratnigeria@gmail.com or you call or text

08137497296 or 07089391123.

bulk purchase will be discounted

home delivery is available in Lagos and outside Lagos.
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by ayosat(m): 3:51pm On Jan 14, 2012
For the best fingerlings / juveniles please call Ayo on 08035193433 or drop your e-mail at ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com . The farm is located at abule egba, lagos abeokuta expressway.
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by ayosat(m): 3:52pm On Jan 14, 2012
For the best fingerlings / juveniles please call Ayo on 08035193433 or drop your e-mail at ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com . The farm is located at abule egba, lagos abeokuta expressway.
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by knowledge4(m): 4:17pm On Jan 26, 2012
I am not a catfish farmer but i have some reservations about the catfish business. I may be right or wrong.
My interest is poultry(www.johnayodele.)

The issue is this:Where is the market for catfish in Nigeria?
The vast majority of catfish farmers in Nigeria are individuals with small backyard ponds holding few hundred fish.Their major outlet for sales is the open market.The result is too many sellers,fewer buyers. Point of frustration number one is not knowing how,who to sell to and where to sell.

A kilo of catfish costs N500.00 How many Nigerians can afford this?
A kilo of frozen fish like Shawa, Kote,croaker,Panla,Titus and Ojuyobo cost N500 and below per kilo which a family of four can utilize for 2-3 days in their pot of stew.A kilo of catfish cannot go that far,not more than a day at most.Most Nigerians are living in the poverty level and see catfish as a luxury. This is one major reason why catfish is not selling well. Frustration point 2.

There are some companies always looking for catfish to buy.They buy in very large quantities, in thousands.They buy from large scale catfish farmers and sell to markets which the small backyard farmer cannot enter with his few hundred fish. Point 3.
Many of those selling are the restaurants and Pepper soup joints who resell at higher prices.ThisĀ  entertainment is one which very few Nigerians can afford.

Before you go invest in catfish farming,do a market survey and be sure that there is a market before you stock a single fingerling.
You can be creative about it to sell it.Some smoke it and sell and in this form,they are able to sel faster than selling it alive.
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by Fhemmmy: 5:00pm On Jan 26, 2012
knowledge4:

TThere are some companies always looking for catfish to buy.They buy in very large quantities, in thousands.They buy from large scale catfish farmers and sell to markets which the small backyard farmer cannot enter with his few hundred fish. Point 3.
Before you go invest in catfish farming,do a market survey and be sure that there is a market before you stock a single fingerling.

If you know those companies that buys at huge quantity, why not let us know . . . ?
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by oderemo(m): 8:00pm On Jan 26, 2012
@knowledge4, you definately have a valid point there. the reason ppl go into catfish buss. are to me two folds, number one the rate of unemplyment in the country is mind buggling hence most will think in my backyard i can make moni raising catfish '@ more or less zero cost.
secondly there are few bogus companies promoting there agenda thru vicious advert. on radio, papers ,not letting ppl know the problems involve but the ease @ wish they want to get rid of there fingerlinks.
this same problem you encounter by raising cockerel, i tell u for a fact the moni req. for feeding up to 6/7mths superceede the expected profit.
i want every body on n'l to note, if you go past 12/13wks b4 you sale ., mark me down you will loose moni.
unless 1, u are making your own feeds or 2 u are on a free range programme.
my 2 cents.
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by oderemo(m): 8:42pm On Jan 26, 2012
@cheely, dont u think its rude and unprofessional to derail ppls thread?
your stupid recharge card buss is better served if u open your on adv /thread.
kids of nowadays , what are they made of.\?
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by oderemo(m): 8:54pm On Jan 26, 2012
m
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by knowledge4(m): 10:32am On Jan 27, 2012
ode remo
Your point about cockerel rearing is sensible.
Layers and broilers are better in terms of returns in chicken farming.
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by occational2012: 9:14pm On Jan 13, 2013
Occational fisheries limited are poised to supply Fries,Fingerlings,Juveniles and Post juveniles at an affordable rate within and outside lagos.in order to ease your burden,for clients within lagos,we will deliver to your door step at no cost while there will be a discounted fee for delivery to clients outside lagos as well as free consultancy services for clients both within and outside Lagos because your satisfaction is our passion.place your order today and you will be glad you did.you can reach us on 08122989615,08137368151,and 08029849361. occational2012@yahoo.com

Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by fm7070: 10:31am On Jan 16, 2013
I need post fries fish of about 4-5wks.
Contact me via email if u have
olufunke7@gmail.com
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by ndioyem: 11:02am On Jan 16, 2013
@OP, Hello, i make bold to say the business is very lucrative but you must keep on learning how to do it better. I have made some mistakes in the past and nearly wave the business bye bye but now i am happy i stay.

one, if you are really serious about the business as new entrants, you need to get ready quite some amount of money. Don't believe the lie you are usually told that you can make do with just 20,000 naira or so. No. You need quite some amount. Then get an exprienced tutor to put you through. This is important or else you may soon crash in the business. I am talking from exprience now i learnt my lesson.

Well there is place you can learn from the experts for free, i just discovered the site and it will be good you avail yourselves the opportunity. www dot growcatfish dot com/forum. There, you can learn from others, post your problem/fear, get good fish feed counsel, post your request for fish as well as advertise your produst for free. Wish you well.
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by dannycom(m): 8:47pm On Sep 23, 2013
hello farmers in the house I hope ur weekend was fantastic.for anyone dat need fries,post fries,fingerings,post fingerlings,juvenile,post juvenile,broodstocks or even one one practical training .on any of dis you can contact kaykay farms on 08026224955,07056851327
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by zogo(m): 11:16pm On Sep 23, 2013
you can complement ur catfish farm with Heliculture (Snail Farming); you'll be amased at the profit margin in the business

www.snailfarmingng..com
Re: How Productive Is Catfish Business. by Gentle30(m): 7:06am On Oct 10, 2013
any fish farmers around ijebuode should call me for any assistance. 08075939660

(1) (Reply)

Farmers In The House, Btw Ugwu And Tomatoes Which One Is Advisable To Go Into. / How To Access Boi's Cottage Agro Processing (cap) Fund / How To Preserve Grounded Beans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.