Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / . (3004 Views)

Top Ten Naija Ways (are You A Nigerian Or A Naijan?) / "What Does It Mean To Be A Nigerian Or African?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
EzeEfuna:

Yes, sometimes twice.

So since when have you been visiting Nigeria every year?
Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 11:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
jennykadry:

So since when have you been visiting Nigeria every year?

What kind of question is this? Do you want to know my entire life? Please, this question is absolutely irrelevant.

Go and troll somewhere else.

3 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 12:24am On Aug 29, 2014
Me patriotic nigerian Shusshhh and answer the question. You came on here to tell us how patriotic you are and the same patriotic you cannot answer a simple question.

I am not going anywhere so relax yourself and stop crying here like you cry to your siblings when they tell you you are American
Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 1:25am On Aug 29, 2014
jennykadry: Me patriotic nigerian Shusshhh and answer the question. You came on here to tell us how patriotic you are and the same patriotic you cannot answer a simple question.

I am not going anywhere so relax yourself and stop crying here like you cry to your siblings when they tell you you are American

Lol have fun. Nobody is crying here. If staying here makes you happy, then have fun. You're not bothering me whatsoever, however, staying here to try and aggravate me not only accomplishes nothing, but shows your immense level of immaturity. It's fine though.

I have stated several times before that I don't mind being called an American, because it is 100% true.

I hope that God blesses you with something productive to do with your life, then maybe you will stop resenting the world so much.

As a wise man once said, "Soro uwa je je o ga diri gi mma. "

3 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 1:47am On Aug 29, 2014
EzeEfuna:

Lol have fun. Nobody is crying here. If staying here makes you happy, then have fun. You're not bothering me whatsoever, however, staying here to try and aggravate me not only accomplishes nothing, but shows your immense level of immaturity. It's fine though.

I have stated several times before that I don't mind being called an American, because it is 100% true.

I hope that God blesses you with something productive to do with your life, then maybe you will stop resenting the world so much.

As a wise man once said, "Soro uwa je je o ga diri gi mma. "

Akuko ifo. Lol I struck a nerve ehn? O ma se o. It is well grin

Now back to topic-----WILL YOUR PATRIOTIC BACKSIDE ANSWER MY QUESTION NOW cool

1 Like

Re: . by bigfrancis21: 5:05am On Aug 29, 2014
EzeEfuna: I was born in Atlanta Georgia, USA. I was also raised (Being raised) in the US. However, most of my life, I have identified myself as Nigerian, despite where I was born or brought up. I have siblings, and they identify themselves as Americans with Nigerian parents. This slightly does irritate me, but any time I try to say anything, they all slaughter me with insults.

At school, when people ask me where I'm from, I always say Anambra State, Nigeria (As that's where my forefathers are from). However, when they ask me where I was born it's as if time slows completely down. My heart rate increases, and I start sweating. I proceed to tell them where I was born, but they always feel that they have to argue with me, saying that that means that I'm from Atlanta, and not Nigeria. I always tell them that I don't come from Atlanta, because blood isn't of this land. This sometimes forces me to tell some people that I was born in Nigeria (As some of my cousins do) so I wouldn't be viewed as a non-Nigerian, as that breaks my heart.

My siblings constantly argue with me, sometimes randomly asking me where I am from. I always answer, "I am from Anambra State, Nigeria.". Then they say, "No, you are not. You were not born there, and you have never actually lived there. You are not a Nigerian, your parents are. You are nothing more than an American." Of course I cannot combat those statements, as they never let me explain my point. They all yell and scream at me before I explain that we all come from Anambra State.

I'd love to address this issue to my parents, but there's one problem; my mom agrees with my siblings for the most part. When my siblings yell at me about where I come from, my mom yells at me too. Saying that I am not a Nigerian, and Nigeria isn't my home. In fact, the only person that agrees with me is my father, but he's not always around to defend me. This leaves me with nowhere to go and nobody to go to.

All I want is to be viewed as a Nigerian. I learned my native language (mostly), I know my culture, and I know about politics in Nigeria. Unfortunately, this lead to my siblings and mom calling me an "extremist", claiming that I hate the United States, and want to destroy it. That's obviously far from true, I love being an American. But I want to be viewed as a Nigerian-American.

Despite being a male, I have cried many times about this topic. I have prayed, and everything. However, nothing has changed. I'm just tired of this, I know deep down within my heart and spirit that I am a Nigerian, and a proud Igbo. However, it feels as if it's only my imagination, as I'm constantly being told otherwise.

I have argued this point, but they don't seem to understand. I ask them, "Where is our father from?" They reply, "Anambra State". "I then nod my head, and proceed to say, "However, he wasn't born in Anambra State, he was born in Rivers State. They then try to avoid this topic, spewing insults and saying, "It's different, it's in the same country. "

So, I just want to see how other people view this. And I desperately need some form of help... thanks.

My brother, there is totally nothing wrong in your wanting to connect back to your country of origin. There comes a time in a man's life when he will come of age and begin to seek to connect back to where he comes from. By all right and ancestry you are Nigerian by all ramifications and American by birth.

The disparity in your origins stems from the 2 different views on origins held in Nigeria and America. In Nigeria, you are automatically from where your father is from. Nigeria is a paternalistic society and every child inherits his father's heritage, state of origin and origin regardless of where his mother or all grandmothers(paternal and maternal are from). In Nigeria someone can be from Anambra state but born and raised in Lagos but is never considered to be from Lagos state. One's ancestral roots are never ignored in Nigeria. By Nigerian cultural standards, he is Anambrarian regardless of state of birth. In Nigeria, every single inividual has a local government area, a village and finally originating family back in the village where he/she is from. One cannot claim another state of origin. You would have to as well prove the LGA as well as where your family members in the village are situated in it.

However, in America the logic is different. You are only from the state where you are born in, and nothing more nothing less. The American society ascribes your origin based on where you were you were born. That's why you hear second-generation Americans born to foreign-born immigrants claim, 'my parents are originally from Bulgaria but I was born here and therefore I am American'. To them, their parents are Bulgarian, not them. That is the societal view America places on ancestral origin.

At the end of the day, you are Nigerian. Nigeria is your country and Igbo is your tribe, your ancestry. Consider yourself lucky as a black american by birth to have an ancestral origin, your own native language and a sense of identity. Knowing one's ancestral origin ascribes one with that sense of self-identity in life. A man strapped of his origins is as good as lost in life with little or no sense of bearing. Do you know how often African Americans wish they knew where they came from in Africa? 300 years ago, Africans brought to the US were strapped of their names, language, culture and therefore their self-identity. And instead a foreign language, foreign names, and foreign culture were imposed on them. Modern day AAs today wander around with no particular sense of origin, looking for a purely black culture to ascribe to, and trying to create and adopt an identity of their own, which at the end of the day is still largely dependent on the foreign culture they were imposed with. These AAs spend money everyday on DNA testing trying to discover their ancestral origin in Africa and reek of huge joy when they discover their origins because their sense of identity has been reclaimed.

Your father will always defend you because he is male and Nigerian and understands full well that at the end of the day you are from where you father is from. In fact in Nigerian Igbo culture being a male automatically ascribes you many rights in your father's village, which your sisters don't even have, or even your mom.

Do not be confused at all. You are in the right path.

Daalu.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by bigfrancis21: 5:14am On Aug 29, 2014
As a lover of your culture and identity, I hereby invite you to attend Igbo cultural meetings held in the US every other year. There are quite a lot of conventions and meetings of Igbo people in US held every year in the US, during which hundreds of Igbo people young, middle aged and old gather to meet and network with one another each year. During these conventions and meetings, the Igbo culture and language are showcased in its most beautiful form. The meetings are very fulfilling emotionally in that you get to be in the greater midst of your own kith and kin, network with them, make friends, get to learn more about your culture, language and your place in the greater Igbo culture.

Notable of such conventions is the Umu Igbo Unite Convention which holds every year and has records hundreds, if not thousands, of attendess every year. The last UIU convention held early this month in Georgia and was very beautiful and commemorative. You can watch highlights of last year's event and that of 2012 below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TV17gm4C14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaHLJC5-CFo

http://www.umuigbounite.com/

2 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 29, 2014
___

1 Like

Re: . by fightforchange1(f): 10:19am On Aug 29, 2014
bigfrancis21:

My brother, there is totally nothing wrong in your wanting to connect back to your country of origin. There comes a time in a man's life when he will come of age and begin to seek to connect back to where he comes from. By all right and ancestry you are Nigerian by all ramifications and American by birth.

The disparity in your origins stems from the 2 different views on origins held in Nigeria and America. In Nigeria, you are automatically from where your father is from. Nigeria is a paternalistic society and every child inherits his father's heritage, state of origin and origin regardless of where his mother or all grandmothers(paternal and maternal are from). In Nigeria someone can be from Anambra state but born and raised in Lagos but is never considered to be from Lagos state. One's ancestral roots are never ignored in Nigeria. By Nigerian cultural standards, he is Anambrarian regardless of state of birth. In Nigeria, every single inividual has a local government area, a village and finally originating family back in the village where he/she is from. One cannot claim another state of origin. You would have to as well prove the LGA as well as where your family members in the village are situated in it.

However, in America the logic is different. You are only from the state where you are born in, and nothing more nothing less. The American society ascribes your origin based on where you were you were born. That's why you hear second-generation Americans born to foreign-born immigrants claim, 'my parents are originally from Bulgaria but I was born here and therefore I am American'. To them, their parents are Bulgarian, not them. That is the societal view America places on ancestral origin.

At the end of the day, you are Nigerian. Nigeria is your country and Igbo is your tribe, your ancestry. Consider yourself lucky as a black american by birth to have an ancestral origin, your own native language and a sense of identity. Knowing one's ancestral origin ascribes one with that sense of self-identity in life. A man strapped of his origins is as good as lost in life with little or no sense of bearing. Do you know how often African Americans wish they knew where they came from in Africa? 300 years ago, Africans brought to the US were strapped of their names, language, culture and therefore their self-identity. And instead a foreign language, foreign names, and foreign culture were imposed on them. Modern day AAs today wander around with no particular sense of origin, looking for a purely black culture to ascribe to, and trying to create and adopt an identity of their own, which at the end of the day is still largely dependent on the foreign culture they were imposed with. These AAs spend money everyday on DNA testing trying to discover their ancestral origin in Africa and reek of huge joy when they discover their origins because their sense of identity has been reclaimed.

Your father will always defend you because he is male and Nigerian and understands full well that at the end of the day you are from where you father is from. In fact in Nigerian Igbo culture being a male automatically ascribes you many rights in your father's village, which your sisters don't even have, or even your mom.

Do not be confused at all. You are in the right path.

Daalu.

the DNA testing for African Americans only source of the marker for where you're family get for it does not give.an identity.....as much as I'd like to say that it does it does feel certain degree than once you know what you wear your friend you are and then you can focus I need to learn about the cultural the culture that you came from but its just a marker...unfortunately...a lot of us are stuck with the names we have in the English language we speak...I'm not complaining I'm just saying the truth. wink

as far as this guy I definitely consider him a Nigerian because his family but this parents are Nigerian and they gave him so I so you what your parents are.

1 Like

Re: . by fightforchange1(f): 10:26am On Aug 29, 2014
fightforchange1:

the DNA testing for African Americans only serves.a of the marker for where you're family get for it does not give.a cultural.identity.....as much as I'd like to say that it does it doesnt feel certain degree than once you know what you r nd then you can focus n learn about the cultural the culture that you came from but its just a marker...unfortunately...a lot of us are stuck with the names we have in the English language we speak...I'm not complaining I'm just saying the truth. wink

as far as this guy I definitely consider him a Nigerian because his family but this parents are Nigerian and they gave him so I so you what your parents are.

my next question for the OP's does he know the culture heritage does he kno tradition does know the history does know the language in Nigeria. does he know the.names and their meanings

1 Like

Re: . by fightforchange1(f): 10:37am On Aug 29, 2014
American born Anambrian...Lol

1 Like

Re: . by fightforchange1(f): 11:10am On Aug 29, 2014
fightforchange1:

the DNA testing for African Americans only source of the marker for where you're fathis is what I call the Mexican women. Oregon want you to look at that website and tell me what you thinkmily get for it does not give.an identity.....as much as I'd like to say that it does it does feel certain degree than once you know what you wear your friend you are and then you can focus I need to learn about the cultural the culture that you came from but its just a marker...unfortunately...a lot of us are stuck with the names we have in the English language we speak...I'm not complaining I'm just saying the truth. wink

mexica-movement.org
Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 11:30am On Aug 29, 2014
BadBoy25: if i had the power ,you should be stripped off your citizenship by birth and deported back to your village . I don't like two faced people like you. you are not good for America, the United states does not need dual allegiance ,that's what's destroying the US . it's either you are an american or you are not .
you can never become an American president due to your dual allegiance. just move back to Nigeria if that's where your heart is .

I'm two faced because I love my country and village of origin? I love America as well, but there is no need to include that, because it's not part of the main topic.
Re: . by EzeEfuna(m): 11:32am On Aug 29, 2014
fightforchange1:

my next question for the OP's does he know the culture heritage does he kno tradition does know the history does know the language in Nigeria. does he know the.names and their meanings

Yes, I know all of that. Especially when it comes to ndi Igbo.
Re: . by fightforchange1(f): 11:36am On Aug 29, 2014
EzeEfuna:

Yes, I know all of that. Especially when it comes to ndi Igbo.

congratulations guy!!!!!

you're both....American and Nigerian..
best of both worlds

2 Likes

Re: . by fightforchange1(f): 12:04pm On Aug 29, 2014
[img][/img][quote author=fightforchange1]

the DNA testing for African Americans only source of the marker for where you're family get for it does not give.an identity.....as much as I'd like to say that it does it does feel certain degree than once you know what you wear your friend you are and then you can focus I need to learn about the cultural the culture that you came from but its just a marker...unfortunately...a lot of us are stuck with the names we have in the English language we speak...I'm not complaining I'm just saying the truth. wink

as far as this guy I definitely consider him a Nigerian because his family but this parents are Nigerian and they gave him so I so you what your parents are.[/qu

could you please introduce to some people who would accept me as a Nigerian....cuz I'd love to reclaim my triball identity and.change.the.world.
Re: . by traware(m): 12:11pm On Aug 29, 2014
fightforchange1:

congratulations guy!!!!!

you're both....American and Nigerian..
best of both worlds
Whenever I see your username,I always develop 'wood'...So...what are we going to do about it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by fightforchange1(f): 12:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
traware: Whenever I see your username,I always develop 'wood'...So...what are going to do about it?

Haha ... Oh wow!!!!!
I'm already sorta kinda taken. undecided

u can look tho.
Re: . by traware(m): 12:28pm On Aug 29, 2014
fightforchange1:

Haha ... Oh wow!!!!!
I'm already sorta kinda taken. undecided

u can look tho.
Its your loss because 'Traware' is a life-changer...a positive life-changer that is
Re: . by abbeyberry(m): 12:55pm On Aug 29, 2014
Whaooo, may God bless this op, am seeing a new Nigerian entirely in him. Just try and ignore some haters and sadist on your thread. Align yourself with the right set of people . I wish you all the best in knowing and fully aknowledge your root

1 Like

Re: . by fightforchange1(f): 3:06pm On Aug 29, 2014
traware: Its your loss because 'Traware' is a life-changer...a positive life-changer that is

Lol. thank you for honesty.
Re: . by fightforchange1(f): 4:30pm On Aug 29, 2014
traware: Its your loss because 'Traware' is a life-changer...a positive life-changer that is

confidence is sexy:-)!!!!!
Re: . by Nobody: 4:41pm On Aug 29, 2014
You are a Nigerian, with an American citizenship.

3 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 30, 2014
BadBoy25: if i had the power ,you should be stripped off your citizenship by birth and deported back to your village . I don't like two faced people like you. you are not good for America, the United states does not need dual allegiance ,that's what's destroying the US . it's either you are an american or you are not .
you can never become an American president due to your dual allegiance. just move back to Nigeria if that's where your heart is .

Abeg don't mind him. Mr patriotic indeed and he is still enjoying Atlanta. You would think someone like him would have relocated to his village in anambra a long time ago. Two faced American
Re: . by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 30, 2014
Woooah
Re: . by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 30, 2014
MrsBreezy: Woooah
amazing right? Me think he is American-Nigerian cos his nationality is America, his tribe and mother tongue is Igbo. Where is igbo located? Nigeria!
Re: . by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 30, 2014
unyours: amazing right? Me think he is American-Nigerian cos his nationality is America, his tribe and mother tongue is Igbo. Where is igbo located? Nigeria!

Lol well he can be whatever he wants hahaha no one here can tell him what he is... Nigmerican is alright I guess
Re: . by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 30, 2014
MrsBreezy:

Lol well he can be whatever he wants hahaha no one here can tell him what he is... Nigmerican is alright I guess
lol. Funniest girl ever...
Re: . by tpia1: 7:08pm On Aug 30, 2014
MrsBreezy:

no one here can tell him what he is...

i just did

MrsBreezy:
. Nigmerican is alright I guess

so did you.
Re: . by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 30, 2014
tpia1:

i just did

so did you.

I made an assumption not necessarily true... I'm guessing you did the same.
Re: . by tpia1: 7:18pm On Aug 30, 2014
is the thread about me or do you not know the meaning of open forum where everyone is free to post their views as long as those views do not violate the rules of this forum?

please face your front.

thats how they go around with their demonic snide comments while pretending their passive aggressive manic behavior is normalcy?

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 7:31pm On Aug 30, 2014
tpia1: is the thread about me or do you not know the meaning of open forum where everyone is free to post their views as long as those views do not violate the rules of this forum?

please face your front.

thats how they go around with their demonic snide comments while pretending their passive aggressive manic behavior is normalcy?

Hmm are you referring to me?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Names Of Animals In Bura/babur / 加速主义作为一种政治倾向 / Nigerians Living In The Dfw Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.