Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers (20131 Views)

Excessive Heat Kills A Farmer's Chickens: Pictured / See The Animal This Farmer Caught (pic) / If You Want To Make Money, Be A Farmer Not A Banker! Jim Rogers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 10:05am On Aug 28, 2014
Jim Rogers is a smart investor who co-founded the Quantum Fund with George Soros in 1973. By 1983 the fund gained more than 4000 percent. So when someone with that pedigree talks, smart entrepreneurs are bound to pause and take a closer look at whatever is saying. I have some excerpt from his view.

"I think there is more money to be made in agriculture. I don’t think we’ve had the final bottom in gold but we must be nearing it in sugar. Sugar is down 75 per cent from its all-time high – there’s not much in the world that’s down 75 per cent.
I think that farming is going to become one of the most exciting professions in the next 20 years. The average age of a farmer in the US is 58, in Korea it’s 65. It is an old profession and the people in it are dying out or retiring. In the US, more people study public relations than study agriculture.
The world is facing a serious demographic and production problem. If something doesn’t change then we won’t have food at any price. Prices will have to go up a lot to attract labour and the Food and Agriculture Organization has tried to get people to see this crisis. They see what I see. What more do you need to know?

Why isn’t there more interest in this sector?
We’ve had long cycles where the financial sector was in charge, followed by times when the people who make things were in charge. We’re at a mid-point now.
When I was at college [Mr Rogers was born in 1942] people used to talk about the City and Wall Street as backwaters. Now the kids at Oxford all want to start hedge funds. But the fundamentals have changed so much. There is so much competition in finance and banking in the rest of the world, we have gigantic leverage in the industry and now every government is coming down hard against financial types. I think finance is going to be a terrible place to be for the next 10, 20, 30 years.

You set up the RICI [Rogers International Commodity Index] in the late 1990s, how are you investing in agriculture?
I mainly buy agricultural products – farms. I buy publicly traded farms in Australia and Indonesia and Africa. But you can invest in tractors and fertilisers and seeds – there are lots of ways into this.
Culled from Financial Times. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/b5e0ab48-e7db-11e2-9aad-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3Bd6jEKol

2 Likes

Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 10:10am On Aug 28, 2014
Feeding the nine billion
The world’s population is expected to grow to nearly nine billion by 2040, and those extra two billion people are going to need quantities of food which are not yet being produced.
Add in bad weather and the damage it has done to existing crops, with the increased demand for biofuels, and the case for investment in soft commodities such as wheat, sugar and livestock might seem simple.
Some of the funds that invest in the area have had impressive returns too. The Sarasin AgriSar fund, for example, has risen by 17 per cent over the past year. The fund invests in a range of stocks, from Dairy Farm, the Asian supermarket chain, to agribusiness groups such as Syngenta.
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 10:17am On Aug 28, 2014
"If you've got young people who don't know what to do, I'd urge them not to get MBAs, but to get agriculture degrees," Rogers told CNBC.com.

1 Like

Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 10:25am On Aug 28, 2014
I saw him on cnn future finance yesterday saying this on power point presentation
“So you can see we have a huge crisis facing us; either the price of food is going to go much, much higher and draw in capital and labor and management, or we’re not going to have any food at any price. I assure you it’s not going to happen that way. What will happen is agriculture will becoming exciting and profitable, young people will see farmers driving Lamborghinis, they’ll see stock brokers driving taxis, and they’ll say ‘Aha, I’m going into agriculture.’ So, you will have more production come into agriculture and more people will make money and the cycle will start all over again.” on CNN
http://edition.cnn.com/video/standard.html?/video/business/2014/08/26/spc-future-finance-farming-jim-rogers.cnn&video_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.ng%2F

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 9:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
Farmers riding Lamboghinis. Bankers riding on Taxis

1 Like

Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 8:29am On Aug 30, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 10:21am On Aug 31, 2014
Toasting to the future
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 11:41am On Aug 31, 2014
Its possible! You can!!! Make it happen in September. 20 more days to go.
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by baba11(m): 11:44am On Aug 31, 2014
@hotmass911:It depends on several conditions!
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 8:57am On Sep 01, 2014
baba11: @hotmass911:It depends on several conditions!
Happy new month bro! I will like to see your view, we can learn a lot from one another.

1 Like

Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by baba11(m): 11:07am On Sep 01, 2014
hotmas911: Its possible! You can!!! Make it happen in September. 20 more days to go.
..to go where?
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by Adeyemiopemipo(m): 11:15am On Sep 01, 2014
i think agriculture is vast. And it is worth all these accolades

2 Likes

Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by baba11(m): 11:16am On Sep 01, 2014
hotmas911: Happy new month bro! I will like to see your view, we can learn a lot from one another.
thanks.. I read your piece with rapt attention and I can deduce from it that although, the writer is right but if we consider Nigeria clime, he is wrong.!For any successful farmer,he must get support most especially from the government.If we really want to achieve this,commercial or large scale farming must be practised. What about the availability of land,fertiliser subsidy,interest free loan.Storage mechanism is also not on ground.Do you expect me to harvest a large hectares of land and sell everything @ once.That's not possible,I'll run at a loss.....
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by seedorfg(m): 1:15pm On Sep 01, 2014
Hello nlanders, though agriculture is a job i would love to do, bt my main problem is my course is Public Adm and Moreover i don't knw much about Agric, cn sum1 enlighten me, mayb i culd switch to Agric. .cntrbutn pls
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 1:47pm On Sep 01, 2014
seedorfg: Hello nlanders, though agriculture is a job i would love to do, bt my main problem is my course is Public Adm and Moreover i don't knw much about Agric, cn sum1 enlighten me, mayb i culd switch to Agric. .cntrbutn pls
bro, you have just echoed the mind of many others. Agric is not rocket science, if you are willing to go there are many resources even here on nairaland to help you. If you are willing to create interest and passion for it, then you are good to go. I have seen some clients coming to lease or buy farmland from us without any prior experience in agric. Infact there is a guy who has never seen cassava and maize plant before. He told me he wants to invest 3 years into it. He's willing to learn and master the industry in 3 years. Remember you invested time to have a degree in public admin. A career in agriculture requires the same. But you can still start by engaging a farm manager to help you set up and run the farm while you are learning along

1 Like

Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 1:52pm On Sep 01, 2014
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 8:25am On Sep 02, 2014
Morning
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 9:19pm On Sep 02, 2014
Awesome God!
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:42pm On Sep 03, 2014
hotmas911: Feeding the nine billion
The world’s population is expected to grow to nearly nine billion by 2040, and those extra two billion people are going to need quantities of food which are not yet being produced.
Add in bad weather and the damage it has done to existing crops, with the increased demand for biofuels, and the case for investment in soft commodities such as wheat, sugar and livestock might seem simple.
Some of the funds that invest in the area have had impressive returns too. The Sarasin AgriSar fund, for example, has risen by 17 per cent over the past year. The fund invests in a range of stocks, from Dairy Farm, the Asian supermarket chain, to agribusiness groups such as Syngenta.
Nice one
How can this country and the whole of africa survive without agriculture with the daily increment in population.

By 2040,the population is expected to shoot up to 9 billion.Who will feed the population.
A country that can feed herself can survive any challenges that comes her way economically.

1 Like

Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 9:00pm On Sep 03, 2014
Lesgupnigeria:
Nice one
How can this country and the whole of africa survive without agriculture with the daily increment in population.

By 2040,the population is expected to shoot up to 9 billion.Who will feed the population.
A country that can feed herself can survive any challenges that comes her way economically.
only the smartest will see this new frontier

1 Like

Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 8:37am On Sep 04, 2014
Another day on the move.
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 3:08am On Sep 06, 2014
What shall we do today?
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 9:17pm On Sep 06, 2014
Wisdom is profitable to direct .....
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 6:15am On Sep 07, 2014
Good morning
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 9:39pm On Sep 07, 2014
Monday!!! I can't wait
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 8:55pm On Sep 08, 2014
12 more days to go
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 8:22am On Sep 09, 2014
We are still on
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 5:33am On Sep 10, 2014
I've got a feeling!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 8:12am On Sep 11, 2014
Hurry 9 days remaining
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 10:32pm On Sep 12, 2014
Just a week to go
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 5:27am On Sep 15, 2014
Going! Going!! Going!!!
Re: Forget Banking, Become A Farmer! -jim Rogers by hotmas911(m): 9:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
Rain rain rain rain rain rain

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Where Can I Sell My Smoked Catfish In Bulk. Any Market For It? / High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? / Ogun To Set Up Cattle Ranch Soon - Governor Abiodun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.