Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,423 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:20 AM

Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript (3016 Views)

Learn Javascript/ HTML / CSS - Attempt Amazing Quizzes / Pls Is It Possible To Learn Javascript Programming In One Month / Javascript With NodeJS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by davidsmith8900: 5:04pm On Aug 30, 2014
JavaScript may feel like an old language – and it is, being 19 years old – but it has a myriad of uses and is popping up in places you wouldn’t expect it to. Now, is definitely the time to start learning this versatile and exciting language.

JavaScript began its life in the browser, allowing you to interface with a number of Web APIs such as the Document Object Model (DOM), to manipulate your web pages and add richer desktop-like user experiences.

Here’s a few examples of JavaScript uses.

Building ‘Native’ Mobile Apps
Titanium SDK (Software Development Kit) started off as a way for web developers to build and deploy desktop-like web applications like regular installable apps. They used modern web technologies because:

there’s an ever expanding talent pool
the learning curve is a lot lower than native development
you can reuse (60%–90%) your code on each platform
The desktop version of the SDK was released in 2008. There was a strong demand from developers at the time for a mobile version of the SDK and it came in 2009. Initially it supported iOS and Android, now it supports Windows Phone and Blackberry with the desktop SDK being spun off into its own project TideSDK.

Titanium SDK isn’t the only way to build apps for mobile, there’s also PhoneGap and bob.

Building Desktop App Extensions
As mentioned above you could use something like TideSDK to create your very own application but did you know you can extend existing applications?

A notable example is that the entire range of Adobe Creative Cloud applications can be extended with JavaScript. With Adobe Extension Builder you can use HTML, CSS and JavaScript to extend Photoshop, Illustrator or any of your favorite Adobe apps.

In the upcoming release of OS X Yosemite you’ll be able to write automated tasks for your Mac using JavaScript too.

Building Server-Side Apps
Server-side JavaScript has had a few false starts. It has come and gone several times since its inception in 1995. One of the most recent and most popular examples is Node.js. Node.js is built on Chrome’s JavaScript interpreter, but there’s no browser, it’s just pure JavaScript.

Because of JavaScript’s unique characteristics it is well suited for various use cases that other server-side languages find difficult to do.

Node.js is good at:

real-time chat applications
file uploading services
real-time analytics and other data-intensive use cases
Node.js is being used in production by PayPal, Walmart, Groupon and LinkedIn to name a few.

Node.js can also be used to help you on the client-side too. With tools like, Grunt, gulp.js and Bower it can help you with keeping your libraries up to date, your code minified and maintainable.

Building Electronics
The next and most surprising trend is that JavaScript is being used to program small electronic boards like the Espruino and Tessel.

Normally when programming microcontrollers (small computers with that can be connected to sensors and electronic components) you’d need to write C, C++ or BASIC. But with this new wave of devices, it lowers the barrier and opens it up to more people getting involved in electronics. Which is super awesome!

You could even hook electronics up to a computer running Node.js and record information from a sensor and display it on a website.

Conclusion
Learning JavaScript, the language is one thing, but learning how to use it in all these environments is another.

Depending where you use JavaScript you’ll have new things for you to use. In the browser you have the DOM to add interactivity, on the server side you’ll have all the things required to write web servers, in mobile you’ll have access to the camera and other device specific things and in electronics you’ll be able to read sensors and play around with electronic components. These ‘things’ that allow you to do this are Application Programming Interfaces or APIs.

Where do you start? I’d recommend building web applications in the browser with Web APIs.

http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/learn-javascript

1 Like

Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by Sibrah: 5:37pm On Aug 30, 2014
So where can i learn javascript? Any tutorial or book that involves challenging exercise and that's well paced?

1 Like

Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by dhtml(m): 5:41pm On Aug 30, 2014
Yah! so i was looking into the future when i mastered jscript+dom back then and named myself dhtml! dancing azonto!!

Sibrah, maybe I can help you to learn jscript.
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by fattbabakay(m): 8:43pm On Aug 30, 2014
dhtml: Yah! so i was looking into the future when i mastered jscript+dom back then and named myself dhtml! dancing azonto!!

really?? oya na!
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by davidsmith8900: 9:08pm On Aug 30, 2014
Sibrah: So where can i learn javascript? Any tutorial or book that involves challenging exercise and that's well paced?

1. JavaScript For Dummies ~> http://unina.stidue.net/Applicazioni%20Telematiche/Materiale/JavaScript%20For%20Dummies.pdf

2. jQuery For Dummies ~> https://sarveshknet.files./2013/11/jqueryfordummies.pdf

3. HTML5 Programming With JavaScript For Dummies ~> http://exordio.qfb.umich.mx/archivos%20pdf%20de%20trabajo%20umsnh/LIBROS%2014/HTML5%20Programming%20with%20JavaScript%20For%20Dummies.pdf

4. 5 Free Beginner Friendly Books For Learning Node.js ~> http://codecondo.com/5-free-beginner-friendly-books-learning-node-js/

5. 7 Free E-Books & Tutorials For Learning & Mastering Node.js ~> http://readwrite.com/2011/04/02/6-free-e-books-on-nodejs
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by Sibrah: 9:36pm On Aug 30, 2014
^
Thanks. I will make out time to check them out on PC.
@dhtml, feel free to post support with materials. Links or direct files, even video with demonstration wouldn't be outa place.
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by dhtml(m): 10:23pm On Aug 30, 2014
I dont need videos, I am javaScript, itself. A personal stuff I have is on my weblog - http://dhtmlhub.com/blogs/3 (titled Basic Javascript Tutorial With eBook).
I shall be preparing video tutorials very soon. The stress of maintaining the site is killing.
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by ogunsexy: 9:19pm On Sep 02, 2014
I am very remote from being an expert when it comes to programming. In my own opinion (especially for @ Sibrah ) who want to begin to learn JavaScript is that :

1. Avoid the "Dummy Trap". It is not worth your time and effort to start learning programming in any language by reading any book with the title "something-something for Dummies". I don't mean that the books in the series are not good or that I hate the publisher. You are not going to make a fast-paced development expect your are a lawyer or an avid lover verbosity and just want to what's up with programming.

2. Get the tutorial on dhtml18's blog, you also download the interpreter/compiler ( it is somewhat like a barebone IDE ). Also get books like "Jump Start JavaScript" , "javascript Succinctly" "speaking JavaScript" .That will get you started and fired up. If you want to turn into a guru like my ogas(bosses) on this forum , you can just add "Javascript: The definitive Guide". It is somewhat like the Bible of JavaScript. The good part about all this is that you can get to download all these books free on the internet (if you search well enough).

3. Don't get caught in the temptation to start using all those fanciful IDEs. You will have to learn to use the IDE and still try to learn the programming language. You don't need that hassle. Just stick to a text editor. I recommend Sublime Edit or Brackets. This will help you appreciate the syntax of JavaScript. There are plenty of text editors out there but the two I mentioned here , you'll surely fall in love with them.

4. If you do not like the text editors I have recommended here, just get any one you like and set the fonts to "consolas", " consolata" , "source code pro" or "source sans pro" . With these fonts , you'all surely be at home with JavaScript codes.

5. When you get into problems , don't think twice to ask people on this forum. They are a sure help. You'll definitely get help.

I hope I have helped someone.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I am a newbie to JavaScript and I am still a learner. I know nothing. Everything above is just my opinion. You are free to correct me or otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by Nobody: 1:54am On Sep 03, 2014
I my self am a total newbie (just entering chapter three of my Javascript book) and as for now I think dummies is outdated. The book am reading now which is of massive help to me, and just entering chapter three and so far no hitches. Here is a link to download it for free its very light compared to the headfirst "7mb" (if someone ever advices you to use heardfirst to learn programming please run, its tells to much stories rather than give codes and explanation. If you want to be a boss in programming stay clear of heardfirst and codeacademy it treats programming softly as if it was revision for an exam... believe me heardfirst frustrated CSS for me...) http://it-ebooks.info/book/1068/ : there a lot of free ebooks on this site to learn anything on programming it is my go to site to download programming ebooks.
ogunsexy: I am very remote from being an expert when it comes to programming. In my own opinion (especially for @ Sibrah ) who want to begin to learn JavaScript is that :

1. Avoid the "Dummy Trap". It is not worth your time and effort to start learning programming in any language by reading any book with the title "something-something for Dummies". I don't mean that the books in the series are not good or that I hate the publisher. You are not going to make a fast-paced development expect your are a lawyer or an avid lover verbosity and just want to what's up with programming.

2. Get the tutorial on dhtml18's blog, you also download the interpreter/compiler ( it is somewhat like a barebone IDE ). Also get books like "Jump Start JavaScript" , "javascript Succinctly" "speaking JavaScript" .That will get you started and fired up. If you want to turn into a guru like my ogas(bosses) on this forum , you can just add "Javascript: The definitive Guide". It is somewhat like the Bible of JavaScript. The good part about all this is that you can get to download all these books free on the internet (if you search well enough).

3. Don't get caught in the temptation to start using all those fanciful IDEs. You will have to learn to use the IDE and still try to learn the programming language. You don't need that hassle. Just stick to a text editor. I recommend Sublime Edit or Brackets. This will help you appreciate the syntax of JavaScript. There are plenty of text editors out there but the two I mentioned here , you'll surely fall in love with them.

4. If you do not like the text editors I have recommended here, just get any one you like and set the fonts to "consolas", " consolata" , "source code pro" or "source sans pro" . With these fonts , you'all surely be at home with JavaScript codes.

5. When you get into problems , don't think twice to ask people on this forum. They are a sure help. You'll definitely get help.

I hope I have helped someone.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I am a newbie to JavaScript and I am still a learner. I know nothing. Everything above is just my opinion. You are free to correct me or otherwise.
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by Cybergenius(m): 7:37am On Sep 04, 2014
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by Craigston: 4:51pm On Sep 04, 2014
You can get 'Javascript - The Definitive Guide' here: www.it-ebooks.info/book/416 or [url]filepi.com/i/stNZbNj[/url]
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by Craigston: 12:25pm On Sep 13, 2014
I just started learning javascript and it's my first programming language. But my challenge is 'I don't have a pc' so I can't test codes easily as I study. Is there any way to get around this? Reading straight without testing and practising is not giving me what I desire.
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by GodMode: 7:32pm On Sep 13, 2014
Craigston: I just started learning javascript and it's my first programming language. But my challenge is 'I don't have a pc' so I can't test codes easily as I study. Is there any way to get around this? Reading straight without testing and practising is not giving me what I desire.

No one can learn programming without a practical approach.
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by blueyedgeek(m): 8:05am On Sep 14, 2014
AkunneObinna: I my self am a total newbie (just entering chapter three of my Javascript book) and as for now I think dummies is outdated. The book am reading now which is of massive help to me, and just entering chapter three and so far no hitches. Here is a link to download it for free its very light compared to the headfirst "7mb" (if someone ever advices you to use heardfirst to learn programming please run, its tells to much stories rather than give codes and explanation. If you want to be a boss in programming stay clear of heardfirst and codeacademy it treats programming softly as if it was revision for an exam... believe me heardfirst frustrated CSS for me...) http://it-ebooks.info/book/1068/ : there a lot of free ebooks on this site to learn anything on programming it is my go to site to download programming ebooks.
Codecademy is not meant to be used alone and besides all it does is to provide you with the basics so that you can move on from there. About the head first books, while some are great and others sub par, it doesn't treat programming ''softly''. It just seeks to make each topic engaging and interactive (like you were actually speaking to a person). Just because it didn't work for you, it doesn't mean that the book is bad. I'm a newbie as well and I wouldn't recommend the definitive guide as a first book either (it's a must have anyway but you must gotten very comfortable with javascript ). I must also let you know that the book you are using is outdated, trust me, it has examples like:

<body bgcolor=''red''>

I know that's just html but I'll rather stay away from such a book as it might teach me old practises when it comes to DOM scripting or other things I wouldn't be able to notice. It does give a good introduction to using the browser console and the firebug add on (very useful tool).

Here are the books I'm using (and by proxy the ones I'd recommend)

Head first Javascript programming, 2nd edition (Search for this one specifically. it has a woman on the front cover)

Head first HTML 5 programming (a good book to read after head first javascript)

Eloquent Javascript (I downloaded the entire website cos it's an online book)

Jump start Javascript (a good first book)

learning Javascript (it's first few chapters give a good introduction to the DOM and progressive enhancement)

Further reading:

Professional javascript for web developers

Javascript: the definitive guide

Javascript: the good parts

Secrets of the javascript ninja

The best thing is to read reviews on amazon or good reads

By the way If videos are more your thing, then a trip to the new Boston.org should be more than helpful.

You should also join a community of developers.

Nairaland's programming section

stackoverflow

stackexchange

tutorialspoint

our very own dhtmlhub
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by Kennyinusa(m): 5:24pm On Sep 15, 2014
Nice thread.

I also started learning node.is myself and I must confess that its the most amazing thing I have learnt since aiml.

Though I advice anybody that has a concrete under standing of js to male use of an ide. And I would suggest webstorm by jetbrains.
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by Craigston: 12:49am On Feb 02, 2015
This site has a collection of some good JS resources:
JSBooks.
Re: Why Now Is The Best Time To Learn Javascript by trytillmake(m): 1:16pm On Feb 02, 2015
dhtml:
Yah! so i was looking into the future when i mastered jscript+dom back then and named myself dhtml! dancing azonto!!

dhtml:
I dont need videos, I am javaScript, itself. A personal stuff I have is on my weblog - http://dhtmlhub.com/blogs/3 (titled Basic Javascript Tutorial With eBook).
I shall be preparing video tutorials very soon. The stress of maintaining the site is killing.

I dont need videos, I am javaScript, itself

U just said u took time to master jscript+dom,when u were doin that wat was it called,u were learning so as to become a master, so u crawl before you walk and we all start from somewhere, personal development then leads to individual improvement...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Introducing SIIT Advanced Diploma Program / Python-django Can Now Be Ran On Your Android Through Qpython... / Help With Python

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.