Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

Lesbian Rights Campaigner 'held Captive' By Family After Traveling To Congo - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Lesbian Rights Campaigner 'held Captive' By Family After Traveling To Congo (862 Views)

Davido Flies Private Jet To Congo (photos) / Ruth Eze: 'I Will Become A Lesbian If Genevieve Asks Me Out' / Married Woman Dies In India After Traveling To India To Meet Her Facebook Lover (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lesbian Rights Campaigner 'held Captive' By Family After Traveling To Congo by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 30, 2014
27 years old British lesbian rights activist is being held against her will by family in the Democratic Republic of Congo who are trying to “cure” her homosexuality, it has been alleged.

Christina Fonthes, who hails from Manchester, was reportedly on holiday in the capital Kinshasa when her mother confiscated her passport.

According to friends who have publicised her plight online, Ms Fonthes’s mother then took her to an organisation which claims to ‘cure’ people’s sexuality.

Ms Fonthes’s partner and the BBC sports presenter, Jessica Creighton, raised the alarm after hearing of the situation, The Independent reported.

She said: “It became apparent that her family were unhappy with her decision to be an out lesbian. They took her passport and [were] refusing to give it back. They have said they want to keep her in Congo and ‘cure her of her gayness’”.
Related Articles

She added Ms Fonthes had managed to get to the British embassy in Kinshasa as she was in fear of her life, but that the embassy then “released” her.

According to Ms Creighton, she was then arrested by police before finally ending up back with her family. “Who knows what they might do?” she added.

Ms Fonthes, who was born in Kinshasa, grew up in London and was a founding member of Rainbow Noir, an LGBT rights group in Manchester.

In her blog, The Musings of a Congolese Lesbian, she gave a glimpse of the possible family issues relating to her sexuality, writing: “Yes, I am Congolese; yes, I am gay; and yes, my family know! Well, most of my family…”.

http://www.whonaija.com/2014/08/british-lesbian-rights-campaigner-held.html

(1) (Reply)

Joan Rivers Is Dead / There Is No God Says Stephen Hawking / Actor Tchidi Chikere Loses 2 Million Naira In Zenith Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.