Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,256 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language (1288 Views)

Shutting Down A Computer Using Notepad (beginners Tutorial) / If You Were Imprisoned In A Room For 3 Months, Had A Computer With Internet..... / As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by Laryokeke: 7:59am On Aug 31, 2014
I think we need an African language - a language in pidgin. And it shouldn't exactly build another Facebook in its first version.

basic stuff like creating windows, putting pics on them and performing simple arithmetic are all it needs to debut.

it should seek to make programming as easy as

1. oya create window (non case sensitive and mistyping a word shouldn't crash it)

2. oya put 2 boxes, one button and two picture boxes ( note the 2 and two)

3. if person touch box1, collect wetin I'm put inside and make I'm name be baba.

4. show baba

the programmers should then work on tight algorithms to guess what's entered after a series of error correction and comparison of words with synonyms before the commands are executed

If we can get search results from Google using arbitrary words. I don't see how this is not equally possible

it should seek to entice Africans into programming by making it too too simple

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 31, 2014
Wow! Good for you cheesy

Hope you've started the Project.
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by Mrval20(m): 9:47am On Aug 31, 2014
Great and creative Idea. I pray it comes through.
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by Capnd143(m): 10:37am On Aug 31, 2014
The idea of using pidgin is cool, but we should remember pidgin is not a standardized language with established lexis and structure. I forsee potential difficulties during team work to establish language syntax.
But all the same it would be nice to have an "african programming language", a name like "Pidginatic" or "pidmatrix" from pidgin would be so cool
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by Seun(m): 11:02am On Aug 31, 2014
Are you saying that Nigerians are not smart enough to code using normal programming languages that work well for the rest of the world?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by blueyedgeek(m): 11:24am On Aug 31, 2014
Seun: Are you saying that Nigerians are not smart enough to code using normal programming languages that work well for the rest of the world?
I don't know what you read but the op never insinuated such.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by Laryokeke: 2:33pm On Aug 31, 2014
am saying that presently, Nigerians and Africans in general are not interested in programming at all because they find it difficult to start. Creating a language like this will demystify programming and usher in an era of young African programmers. It should be a "basic" of sorts.

this needs plenty of time n some money though.
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by dhtml(m): 3:02pm On Aug 31, 2014
We can do that as a team really. Mr Seun, I want to use this media to apologize for my trollin' - I should not have done what I did, but just couldn't resist it - and yes I deserve the ban too. I don prostrate for here o.
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by GodMode: 6:00am On Sep 01, 2014
Laryokeke: am saying that presently, Nigerians and Africans in general are not interested in programming at all because they find it difficult to start. Creating a language like this will demystify programming and usher in an era of young African programmers. It should be a "basic" of sorts.

this needs plenty of time n some money though.

That's your opinion... Most humans(especially africans) are motivated by money.

Ever since linda ikeji earn millions from blogging everyone decided to start blogging..

Ever since naija musicians earns millions every nigerian youth wants to bcom a musician

The moment a nigerian programmer declares that he/she earns millions from programming Nigerians will venture into it.

But programming cannot be compared to blogging/music.

Cos programming requires logic, english, good typing speed, reading and basic maths.

Once u know the above quite well... u need knowledge of the programming language which involves READING and PRACTICE... Most Nigerians can't sit to read...

In summary
Most africans are not interested in programming because

They think programming and computers are for computer students alone (I used to have this mentality).
They are not been enlightened about it.
they are not aware of its potentials.
They lack orientation.e.t.c

Even the U.S is creating awareness on programming.

How many people are creating awareness in Africa
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by toshodei: 6:06am On Sep 01, 2014
Laryokeke: I think we need an African language - a language in pidgin. And it shouldn't exactly build another Facebook in its first version.

basic stuff like creating windows, putting pics on them and performing simple arithmetic are all it needs to debut.

it should seek to make programming as easy as

1. oya create window (non case sensitive and mistyping a word shouldn't crash it)

2. oya put 2 boxes, one button and two picture boxes ( note the 2 and two)

3. if person touch box1, collect wetin I'm put inside and make I'm name be baba.

4. show baba

the programmers should then work on tight algorithms to guess what's entered after a series of error correction and comparison of words with synonyms before the commands are executed

If we can get search results from Google using arbitrary words. I don't see how this is not equally possible

it should seek to entice Africans into programming by making it too too simple

Im down for this. I wouldn't mind making it an open source side project so that everyone can contribute.
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by Olyboy16(m): 4:56pm On Sep 01, 2014
toshodei:

Im down for this. I wouldn't mind making it an open source side project so that everyone can contribute.
I swear, i was laughing when i read @op's. And i even laffed harder when i saw some pple not laffing with me too.
This ideas is impractical and childish!! Programming languages are created in symbols and markups not pidgin(languages)!!!
It will end up a disaster if anyone tries to embark on it. Even if all programmers in africa work on it, it would stil b a big disaster!!
(if u'r gona quote me make sure u undastand wat my post means pls)
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by Laryokeke: 5:35pm On Sep 01, 2014
Olyboy16:
I swear, i was laughing when i read @op's. And i even laffed harder when i saw some pple not laffing with me too.
This ideas is impractical and childish!! Programming languages are created in symbols and markups not pidgin(languages)!!!
It will end up a disaster if anyone tries to embark on it. Even if all programmers in africa work on it, it would stil b a big disaster!!
(if u'r gona quote me make sure undastand wat my post means pls)

let me ask a simple question. How many programs have you written?
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by Olyboy16(m): 5:40pm On Sep 01, 2014
Laryokeke:

let me ask a simple question. How many programs have you written?
waow...you amuze me with that question..its just like asking a soldier "how many bullets have you fired"??
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by HCpaul(m): 3:59pm On Feb 11, 2015
Interesting
Re: Nairalanders, Africa Needs A Computer Language by CodeHouse: 10:07am On Feb 12, 2015
This post is old, anyway the possibility of having our own Programming Language is very possible, to solve the problem stated by the OP, I developed this editor to perform the following task:

1. create window

2. put 2 boxes, one button and two picture boxes

4. show baba

All you need to do is type your commands without "oya" as I have made it a keyword with the tag <oya>statement<oya/> for the interpreter to understand, press enter for each statement and watch AfriCode execute it.

Note: I just saw this post and thought I should do something about it, it might not look too good and I'm yet to add the syntax and semantics sensor..it does nothing but to execute the OP's statements before compiling.

Here is the screenshot, I will upload the app later today as Nairaland and Seun would not allow files above 250Kb

Modified:
Link: http://www.4shared.com/zip/tIIHyGY1ba/AfriCode.html

(1) (Reply)

Using Html To Create A Form In Your Website / Checking If A Number Is Odd In Java / Help Recommend Good Php Books

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.