Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,710 members, 7,827,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi (1879 Views)

Oldest Woman Ever Seen At A Polling Unit (photo) / Yari Abubakar, Martins Elechi, Nigerias Youngest & Oldest Governors Respectively / Where Would U Rather Reside?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by Samueldo(m): 10:01am On Aug 31, 2014
Somewhere in Okemesi Ekiti in southwestern Nigeria lives a grand old woman who had been there for the past 136years! She still has her teeth, move around on her steam, and eats corn, rice and meat, especially beef, in her own words! This woman, is no other person than supercentenarian Queen mother (Olori) Mofeyisayo Aniyeloye (nee Awosina).
Going through the Straits Times issue of June 11, 2014, I was miffed by the claim that “Misao Okawa for Osaka, Japan, is the oldest living person in the world at 116”. Current Validated Living Supercentenarians
For your information, Misao was only 2years old when Olori Feyisayo Awosina married Oba Aniyeloye, the Owaoye of Okemesi Ekiti in 1900. And Feyisayo could not have gone to husband’s house at less than 22years of age in those days.(See video interview).
This claim is authenticated by the very fact that mama Feyisayo was Aniyeloye’s queen before the Oba made a journey to Lagos in 1902 to meet with the Prince of Wales who came from England to visit the Colony and the British Protectorate of Southern Nigeria.
Queen mother Feyisayo can no more recall a lot of things. But her last child, a daughter, who was still living too, was born in 1924. When Oba Aniyeloye died on July 23, 1937, Madam Feyisayo was far into menopause and could not be inherited, according to tradition, by the next Oba. But she remained in the palace for most of the period of the reign of Oba Joseph Dada Atobatele Ariyowonye I, in Okemesi Ekiti.
Some wives of Aniye younger than Feyisayo had issues for Oba Joseph Dada. Examples was Queenmother Oni Aniye (later Dada) who bore Prince Sunday Adeola Dada after she was inherited by Oba Dada. Sunday Dada was born in 1942. Oba Dada ascended the throne in 1938.
I was at mama Feyisayo’s place on June 12 this year to do the accompanying documentary.
She spoke to my team, sang panegyrics in favour of late husband and her own parents. Each time she mentioned her husband’s name, she bowed her head! She laughed with us and I saw her set of teeth.
When I asked her through proxy if she was alive when Oba Aniyeloye was crowned, she bantered back at me if the Oba married “nothing” if she was not there!
Olori Mofeyisayo still takes walks to the market and watches the road carefully before crossing – and indication that her sight is still quite good.
I was really disappointed in her living conditions as those around her do not appreciate the uniqueness of this woman in their midst. She wore a simple blue frock and sat on a stool just by the entrance to her home.
The wives of her late children and their children (her ground children) look after her. When I gave her a dash of just two thousand naira she knelt down to me and instructed the woman holding the money for her to remember to buy cassava peels for her goats.
Other than some limited panegyrics, Olori cannot recall names and events again.
* Mike Oyeniyan, an educationist is a member of the IBAKA editorial board.He is authour of OKEMESI: Land of the Brave.
Editor's notes:
a. IBAKA will be collaborating with Mike Oyeniyan to have the claim verified and published in The Guinness Book of World Records.
b. Interview was conducted in Yoruba (Ekiti dialect). An English translation and transcript will be published in update
source: * Mike Oyeniyan, an educationist is a member of the IBAKA editorial board.He is authour of OKEMESI: Land of the Brave.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by Truth24(m): 10:04am On Aug 31, 2014
Pishures or .....

Ama jail u

1 Like

Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 31, 2014
I hear there are a few people in Bini kingdom as well who are this old but do not get "verified" and uploaded in the Guinness records.
The secret to longevity is still unknown to even scientists and can't easily be verified. For one, you can't even say she observes the most hygienic lifestyle possible and obviously doesn't eat the best/most nutritious o foods.
Time + chance happens to us all!

1 Like

Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by Samueldo(m): 10:15am On Aug 31, 2014
Truth24: Pishures or .....

Ama jail u

pls oo i have modified it with the pishaw
Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by Truth24(m): 10:48am On Aug 31, 2014
Samueldo:

pls oo i have modified it with the pishaw

Ur source wicked ooo grin
Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by jmaine: 10:54am On Aug 31, 2014
Wait I dey come . . . . .grin
Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by Sankabson(m): 12:13pm On Aug 31, 2014
Come to ibadan! You'll see more than that.. but it so feel good to still have Old around.
Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by seunmsg(m): 1:09pm On Aug 31, 2014
I really hope Guinness book of world records can verify this claim and olori can get her deserved recognition.
Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by SELENAqueensy(f): 1:15pm On Aug 31, 2014
My granny is 125 this year... angry
Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by Samueldo(m): 3:23pm On Aug 31, 2014
SELENAqueensy: My granny is 125 this year... angry

pishaw or #adonbilievit
Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by felalegend: 3:51pm On Aug 31, 2014
SELENAqueensy: My granny is 125 this year... angry

How old are u?
Re: World's Oldest Living Person May Reside In Okemesi by SELENAqueensy(f): 3:59pm On Aug 31, 2014
felalegend:

How old are u?

I don't know

(1) (Reply)

ISIS Fighters 'have Contracted Ebola': WHO / Implications Of Nigeria’s Abstention On Palestinian Vote / See what Buhari's Charity Organisation is doing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.