Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Non Dairy Milk And Its Health Benefits? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Non Dairy Milk And Its Health Benefits? (3534 Views)

Top 5 Nigerian Soups And Their Health Benefits. / Differences Between Full Cream Milk And Skimmed Milk / Garri With Milk And Sugar And Ground Pea~~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Non Dairy Milk And Its Health Benefits? by hedgesfun(m): 10:16pm On Oct 26, 2008
While milk may be a good source of calcium and protein for vegetarians, many people are reducing their consumption of dairy due to food allergies, in an effort to reduce fat and cholesterol intake, or just to take advantage of the many health benefits of soy. Soy milk, almond milk and rice milk can all be easily substituted for dairy in most recipes.
Soy milk
The good news is, soy milk is healthy, cheap, and easy to find and use. The bad news is, well, there really is no bad news! From a nutritional perspective, soy milk has almost as much protein as dairy milk, less fat, no cholesterol, and, since most soy milks are fortified, is a comparable source of calcium. Vegans should make sure to find a brand that is fortified with Vitamin B12.
Each brand of soy milk is slightly different, so try a couple and see which one suits your taste buds best. Soy milk is increasingly popular, and many grocery chains, such as Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Safeway make their own brand in a variety of flavors. I recommend trying Silk brand unflavored soy milk to start, though the chocolate flavor is an incredibly tasty treat.
Rice Milk
Rice milk is not as thick as soy or dairy milks, and has a somewhat translucent consistency. Because it is slightly sweet, rice milk works well in dessert recipes and is not suited for savory or salty dishes, such as mashed potatoes. Compared to soy and almond milk, rice milk has less protein.
Almond milk
Milk made from almonds or other nuts has a creamy consistency similar to soy milk and a nutty taste perfect for making fruit smoothies or other creamy drinks and desserts. Be sure to shake your almond milk well before using.
Here’s how to use these milk substitutes:
In baking:
Substitute soymilk, rice milk or almond milk for milk. You won’t even be able to tell the difference in most recipes, including breads, muffins, cakes, cookies, puddings and other creamy desserts.
In cereal, oatmeal, and beverages:
Any milk substitute will work fine, so it’s really a matter of personal taste. I find that rice milk is a bit too sweet for me on cereal, but you may find that the sweetness of the rice milk just enhances the taste of a bowl of cereal. For extra flavor, try using vanilla flavored soymilk on your cereal- yum!
Cooking:
Regular or unsweetened soymilk will work best in recipes such as pasta sauces, cream sauces, mashed potatoes, salad dressings and other savory recipes that call for milk. Although a thick soy cream is best for creamy recipes such as alfredo sauce, a reasonable facsimile can be made with a basic soy roux. You can find soy cream at well stocked natural foods stores.
Replacing buttermilk:
If a recipe calls for buttermilk, add one tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of soymilk to replace buttermilk and mix well. It’s not quite as robust as buttermilk, but will have a similar flavor.
Re: Non Dairy Milk And Its Health Benefits? by hedgesfun(m): 9:00am On Oct 27, 2008
Now you can learn How to make your own delicious and super-nutritious milk. Now at last, a simple and quick way to make your own super-healthy non-dairy milk.
This e-book shows exactly how to make non-dairy milk in just minutes, without using special apparatus.
Non-dairy milk is non-fattening and bursting with vitamins and minerals.
Best of all, it is absolutely delicious – ideal for the whole family.
To get yours, for a token fee of 2500 Naira send me a mail at hedgesfun@yahoo.co.uk or text/call 08037151485 with the subject titled my non dairy milk and all the payment details will be sent to you in few minutes after we get your email.
I can assure you will love this I presently take only non dairy food made by myself and I know the health benefits i get from it on a daily basis.
mail me now and live a healthy life as naturally wished by GOD for you.

(1) (Reply)

# Kitchen Tips…what To Do When You Over-salt Soup, Burn Rice, Stew And Others / Please What Is The Best Brand Of Rice To Buy / Picture: Chat! See The Tomatoes I Bought For N200

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.