Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,566 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Should We Really Commend GEJ Over Electricity? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should We Really Commend GEJ Over Electricity? (461 Views)

Benin EDC Uses Soldiers To Intimidate Citizens Over Electricity Tariff. Photos / Fashola Mocked On Twitter For Blaming GEJ Over Lekki Robbery With #fasholajoker / World Bank Chief Cautions GEJ Over Fuel Subsidy Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should We Really Commend GEJ Over Electricity? by gists: 7:30pm On Aug 31, 2014
I hate to do this but with the recent wave of propaganda on increased generation capacity in the country, I feel like I need to chip in a few lines.

The truth is the Gej administration didn't cause the power problem in the country. But it should not claim to have in anyway improve it or done anything no one has done before. It has been reported that this administration should be praised for the privatisation of PHCN (not minding the fact that the obj administration started the process) and that we are now seeing the result because generation has now increased to 4500MW.

Contrary to this, the fact is that the total electric power available in the country has for a while been between 3000MW and 4000MW -depending on the year you inquire. The following are infos freely available to anyone reading this. Please don't be deceived. I will praise this administration if/when available power gets to 6000MW (which has never in our history been achieved before)

Extracted from The Wall Street Journal of October 30, 2007
http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalcapital/2007/10/30/nigerias-power-problem/

. . . .Ransome Owan, chairman of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission said Nigeria requires investments of three trillion naira (about $24.8 billion) in the energy sector to provide adequate electricity for the country. “Experts tell us today we can use up to 14,000 to 15,000 megawatts, but our capacity to generate is about 4,000 megawatts,” Owan said.

Adeniyi said Yar`Adua will hold talks with German power and energy experts to form a partnership for rapid development of Nigeria’s power supply infrastructure. The government held talks with German energy and power experts in Abuja a fortnight ago.

Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Power and Steel in 2005 selected GE Energy, a unit of General Electric & Co., to supply 18 gas turbines, additional equipment and services for five gas-fired independent power plants in the Niger Delta area that will add more than 2,000 megawatts to the country’s electricity grid. . . .

So it was even the Yar'Adua's gov that talked to General Electric and some people had also credited this clueless gov for it.

Daily truat 6 OCTOBER 2008
http://allafrica.com/stories/200810060856.html

. . . The Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) end of Septem-ber recorded the highest peak energy generation of 86,564.89 megawatts hour with a conti-nuous generation output of not below 3,400mw throughout the day. . .

December 2005
NIGERIA ENERGY STUDY REPORT
Department of Governance and Technology for Sustainability
University of Twente

http://www.utwente.nl/mb/cstm/research/urbanenergy/reports/nigeria_rep/

The energy crisis in Nigeria is further reflected in the performance of its electricity sector. NEPA’s current generation capacity is just 4000 megawatts while government’s target is 10,000 MW by 2007.

There are more references from both local and int'l sources but I'm sure smart and unbiased minds already get the gist.

Of course pdp e-dogs free to bark at me.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Should We Really Commend GEJ Over Electricity? by fiverrwin(f): 7:33pm On Aug 31, 2014
I can only commend when from now till 2015 there is no outage
Re: Should We Really Commend GEJ Over Electricity? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 31, 2014
Your topic is laughable.

anyways, gej deserves no applause whatsoever.

(1) (Reply)

Ebola Scare: British Diplomat Slumps, Dies At Lagos Airport / I’ll Leave Unprecedented Legacy In Oyo –ajimobi / Boko Haram: Things’ ll Change By Next Month — Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.