Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,604 members, 7,827,273 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects (6620 Views)

See Picture Of The Ebola Suspected Quarantined Nurse Who Escaped To Enugu / Use Hydrogen Peroxide To Kill Ebola Virus On Surfaces And General Hygiene / What We Need To Know About Ebola Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Seun(m): 12:54pm On Sep 01, 2014
SUSCEPTIBILITY TO DISINFECTANTS

Ebola virus is susceptible to 3% acetic acid (vinegar), 1% glutaraldehyde, alcohol-based products (e.g. methylated spirit), and dilutions (1:10-1:100 for ≥10 minutes) of 5.25% household bleach (sodium hypochlorite), and calcium hypochlorite (bleach powder) Footnote 48 Footnote 49 Footnote 50 Footnote 62 Footnote 63.

The WHO recommendations for cleaning up spills of blood or body fluids suggest flooding the area with a 1:10 dilutions of 5.25% household bleach for 10 minutes for surfaces that can tolerate stronger bleach solutions (e.g., cement, metal) Footnote 62. For surfaces that may corrode or discolour, they recommend careful cleaning to remove visible stains followed by contact with a 1:100 dilution of 5.25% household bleach for more than 10 minutes.

PHYSICAL INACTIVATION

Ebola are moderately thermolabile and can be inactivated by heating for 30 minutes to 60 minutes at 60°C, boiling for 5 minutes, or gamma irradiation (1.2 x106 rads to 1.27 x106 rads) combined with 1% glutaraldehyde Footnote 10 Footnote 48 Footnote 50. Ebola virus has also been determined to be moderately sensitive to UVC radiation Footnote 51.

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST

Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C)

Source: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php (Published by the public health agency of Canada)

These methods are for killing the virus on objects that Ebola victims' body fluids may have touched. Do not drink or bathe in bleach, please! It seems that chlorinated water is what the Lagos Ebola containment center uses to bath people who have had contact with the Ebola virus.

17 Likes 21 Shares

Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by wallex1983(m): 1:03pm On Sep 01, 2014
How will the market woman outside know this? My thought iڪ that, while I may be able to comprehend, we need these information in simple terms and description to the masses outside there.

They are even more vulnerable

3 Likes

Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by vizboy(m): 1:05pm On Sep 01, 2014
Thanks for sharing
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by hayoakins(m): 1:07pm On Sep 01, 2014
Okay oh
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:18pm On Sep 01, 2014
Chlorine water is used in liberia its cheap and effective, better than handsanitizers.
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by iamsegsy(m): 1:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
this need to be made known to d general public especially d market women..
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Lilimax(f): 1:46pm On Sep 01, 2014
Very informative.
Thanks for sharing @ OP
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Lilimax(f): 1:49pm On Sep 01, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Chlorine water is used in liberia its cheap and effective, better than handsanitizers.
So true.
Chlorine exerts a potent germicidal effect against most bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and even some fungi.
It is very active.
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by destino24(m): 1:57pm On Sep 01, 2014
thanks for the info
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 01, 2014
Is Dettol ok?
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by corisande: 2:01pm On Sep 01, 2014
ok
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Isiterere(m): 2:01pm On Sep 01, 2014
iamsegsy: this need to be made known to d general public especially d market women..
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Dramadiddy(m): 2:02pm On Sep 01, 2014
Lie lie ooo... Ignorance no go allow people obey dis tin... Very soon chlorine will be on sale

1 Like

Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by haibe(m): 2:27pm On Sep 01, 2014
educating
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Seun(m): 2:35pm On Sep 01, 2014
MissMeiya: Is Dettol ok?
As far as I can tell, no, but I'm still searching for more info on this.
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
Hmmmm
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Seun(m): 3:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
Found this from another Canadian site (God bless Canada):

Ebola virus is susceptible to sodium hypochlorite, lipid solvents, phenolic disinfectants, peracetic acid, methyl alcohol, ether, sodium deoxycholate, 2% glutaraldehyde, 0.25% Triton X-100, β-propiolactone, 3% acetic acid (pH 2.5), formaldehyde and paraformaldehyde, and detergents such as SDS
https://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

According to this page, Dettol is a Phenolic disinfectant: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9177891

So it seems the Ebola virus is "susceptible" to Dettol, but there is no information about the required concentration and how it should be used to maximize its effectiveness. I would prefer to use bleach for objects due to the clear instructions on how to use it effectively. For washing hands and body I think I'll use Dettol soap. For hand sanitization without water, I'll use methylated spirit or undiluted NCP (also phenolic).

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 01, 2014
Seun: Found this from another Canadian site (God bless Canada):

Ebola virus is susceptible to sodium hypochlorite, lipid solvents, phenolic disinfectants, peracetic acid, methyl alcohol, ether, sodium deoxycholate, 2% glutaraldehyde, 0.25% Triton X-100, β-propiolactone, 3% acetic acid (pH 2.5), formaldehyde and paraformaldehyde, and detergents such as SDS
https://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

According to this page, Dettol is a Phenolic disinfectant: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9177891

So it seems the Ebola virus is "susceptible" to Dettol, but there is no information about the required concentration and how it should be used to maximize its effectiveness. I would prefer to use bleach for objects due to the clear instructions on how to use it effectively. For washing hands and body I think I'll use Dettol soap. For hand sanitization without water, I'll use methylated spirit or undiluted NCP (also phenolic).

Thank you very much for this. Lol you forgot to tag me
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by djeezy(m): 4:49pm On Sep 01, 2014
wallex1983: How will the market woman outside know this? My thought iڪ that, while I may be able to comprehend, we need these information in simple terms and description to the masses outside there.

I concur with you.
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Lagusta(m): 4:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
Let me add a few points here... 1) for those who dont know... JIK is household bleach...

If you wanna make a stock solution, take a capful of jik into a small eva bottle and mix with water, that will be enough for washing floors, sinks, and even hands!!!

2) dettol can also be used, you may either use it raw (in this case, only one capful is okay, please dont overdo it) or mix a capful with a cup of water for washing hands... If you wanna take a bath, use two or three capfuls in a bucket of water...

NB: dettol is totally different from SAVLON, please dont mix it up!!!

3) always try and avoid direct contact with strangers, just to avoid the stress...

Well, thats that for now

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:11pm On Sep 01, 2014
Other accessories you will need
Nose mask 3 for 1000 naira buy 6 get 1 free
Hand gloves 1 packet 2500( short aba), 3500 (long one to handle ebola stuffsss ), 5000 for oreginah.

Rainboot and disinfecting basin 4000 (colors to match)

Special hand sanitizer
Kapragiusica ( kpragah with vanilla flavour ) 1 big Eva bottle 50 naira.

Ogogorosnikov - kills ebola dead ( 99.999 % Ogogorosnikov direct from the Russian enclave of okpara waterside) 1 coke bottle 75 naira.
Beware to buy the correct version our monkey tail edition might not be the best seeing as Ebola involve for the matta.
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Philipmems(m): 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2014
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by dridowu: 6:41pm On Sep 01, 2014
wallex1983: How will the market woman outside know this? My thought iڪ that, while I may be able to comprehend, we need these information in simple terms and description to the masses outside there.

In simple term , the most common sodium hypochlorite is Jik/Hypo or anything of such, but don't forget that prevention is better than cure.
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by VocalWalls: 7:19pm On Sep 01, 2014
Cool
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 01, 2014
Throws away 'hand sanitizer' from my bag and puts a bottle of dettol instead*

1 Like

Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by kunlesehan(m): 7:48pm On Sep 01, 2014
Hmmmmm...informative
bleach it is...just Jik it!
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Jeanfortune(f): 8:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
Seun: As far as I can tell, no, but I'm still searching for more info on this.
so u saying the ebola virus is stronger than dettol and the everyday disinfectants
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 01, 2014
Nice info..
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Zukoslim(m): 8:49pm On Sep 01, 2014
all am seeing here is bleach this, bleach that.....

hmmmmmmmm

nkechi wey don bleach her body since wit cream,wetin she won bleach again......lolz...

1 Like

Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Nobody: 9:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
Seun: ....... the Ebola virus........
Seun take it to fp
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by Nobody: 10:01pm On Sep 01, 2014
Chrisbenogor: Other accessories you will need
Nose mask 3 for 1000 naira buy 6 get 1 free
Hand gloves 1 packet 2500( short aba), 3500 (long one to handle ebola stuffsss ), 5000 for oreginah.

Rainboot and disinfecting basin 4000 (colors to match)

Special hand sanitizer
Kapragiusica ( kpragah with vanilla flavour ) 1 big Eva bottle 50 naira.

Ogogorosnikov - kills ebola dead ( 99.999 % Ogogorosnikov direct from the Russian enclave of okpara waterside) 1 coke bottle 75 naira.
Beware to buy the correct version our monkey tail edition might not be the best seeing as Ebola involve for the matta.
That time don reach, no be so grin lipsrsealed
Re: How To Kill The Ebola Virus On Objects by mixedgene: 11:47pm On Sep 01, 2014
All these dilution and chloroqueen, diasRisGod ooh.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Liberia Declared Ebola-free / COVID-19 Containment Orders: Enugu Police Move Against Violators / Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.