Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste (9460 Views)

How Smoking Weed Affects Women's Vagina / How Smoking Prematurely Ages The Skin (photos) / THIS IS HOW SMOKING KILLS YOU 1. (BY CAUSING HIGH BP) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Jayclinics(m): 6:08am On Sep 02, 2014
Inasmuch as smoking has so many other bad effects to the body such as cancer and cardiovascular disease. It might sound funny also to read that smoking affects the sense of taste. Dulling the sense of taste. A proved scientific report has recommended that people that rely on their sense of taste should try not to acquire the smoking habit. Example, perfumers, cooks, coffee cuppers etc. Also people that value their sense of taste so much, of course everybody will but not every smoker will be willing to give up their smoking habits to keep their sense of taste functioning properly.

Of course we all know that the power of taste lies on the tongue. This power is found on the small taste buds found on the tongue. Let us take a brief look into the anatomy and physiology behind this taste buds and how they work together with the nervous system to bring about the taste that we all experience whenever we shove a spoonful of anything eatable into the mouth.

The taste buds are sensory taste receptors found on the tongue, throat, and palate that helps bring about the feeling of taste. There are about 10,000 taste buds in an average person’s mouth and throat, the number is quiet increased during childhood and goes down a slope throughout life. Hence, the sense of taste of a toddler will be more powerful than that of a 40 years old man. The taste buds grow around some tiny projections of epithelium that occupy the surface of the tongue. This epithelium is called papillae. They help increase the surface area of the tongue, helps to keep the movement of food around the mouth and finally it protects the taste buds. Taste buds fix themselves around these papillae with their surface exposed so as to easily come in contact with the soluble chemicals dissolved in our saliva. These chemicals are called testants. The taste buds absorb the chemicals which strike up an impulse that is transferred to the gustatory center of the brain through neurons. The taste buds are known to detect the five elements of taste thus: Salty, sour, bitter and sweet and uremia.

According to a scientific study which was published in a journal called BMC ear, nose and throat disorders. Smoking can affect the shape of these taste buds, flattening them and making reduces the absorption of the testants. Smoking also reduces the blood supply to the tongue.

SOURCE

2 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by nnadychuks(m): 6:24am On Sep 02, 2014
i wonder why idiots won't quit smoking. What is in that cigarratte that they cant find in the odour of oil beans eh?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by kingk(m): 6:33am On Sep 02, 2014
I hate ciga

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by BUSHHUNTER: 6:33am On Sep 02, 2014
Y they can't stop

2 Shares

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by justi4jesu(f): 6:33am On Sep 02, 2014
i dont smoke smiley
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Youngzedd(m): 6:33am On Sep 02, 2014
If only they will hear.
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by wulzyp(m): 6:34am On Sep 02, 2014
Why not stopping them from producing this cigarette? undecided

1 Like

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 02, 2014
Good to knw!
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Austindark(m): 6:36am On Sep 02, 2014
we all know hw bad smoking is but smokers could be very sarcastic at times. they ve a way of making one look foolish for telling dem dat is bad..

if u tell it depletes their pocket size, they start reminding u who is a non smoker dat u are more broke than they are

if u tell dem dat smokers die they will start recounting hw many non smokers die untimely every day..

just watch out for their reply to this..

in fact, they should just ban it

4 Likes

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Akposy(m): 6:37am On Sep 02, 2014
Smoking is like a snake.... It can bite
Smokers quit smoking
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by joeblack62: 6:37am On Sep 02, 2014
wulzyp: Why not stopping them from producing this cigarette? undecided
Because the government earns so much money from the companies producing them through tax. All i wanna say is that they don't really care about us *In M.J's Voice*

1 Like

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Nobody: 6:37am On Sep 02, 2014
Na today... Lights a stick of white London

4 Likes

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by kingk(m): 6:38am On Sep 02, 2014
the federal ministry of health warns that cigarette Smokers are liable to have dark coloured blood, brown sets of teeth, loose sense of taste, have cancers and die before their time. I hate it with passion.
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Nobody: 6:39am On Sep 02, 2014
...Although smoking has some advantages.....but its disadvantages supercedes its advantages....

..It is better people stop smoking....it causes more harm than good...

..upon all the awareness....even with what the cigarette industry usually write about smokers.....you still see people smoking their life away

2 Likes

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Nobody: 6:39am On Sep 02, 2014
I will soon create some of my health related threads.

Smoking is bad but only when you smoke the wrong smoke.

3 Likes

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Jarchi(m): 6:40am On Sep 02, 2014
If it won't disturb my sense of getting high,but wait am liable to die young naw yh tell me dis since it wud take a worthy while to take effect
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by adebrave1(m): 6:40am On Sep 02, 2014
Booked
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by EagleScribes: 6:41am On Sep 02, 2014
He who has an ear.......

The quality of cigarettes here is inferior compared to the cigars produced in other climes.

And come to think of it, this includes other smoking materials like igbo, supporter of APC, maryjane, choko, gbana............ Add ya own
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by aboyaji(m): 6:41am On Sep 02, 2014
i dont smoke naa
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by mekuzee1(m): 6:42am On Sep 02, 2014
Does smoking even hav any advantage*Just asking*
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by freshness2020: 6:43am On Sep 02, 2014
I get inspiration when I smoke they would say!
Or like this "I smoke or I nor smoke, ǻll die na die whether accident ,cancer or kidney death related ..
What an height of Ignorance!
They have forgotten eternal death that awaits every man after earthly death.
...brother or sister Ūя̲̅ brain needs a touch of hair relaxer for brain resettling!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by duncan511: 6:44am On Sep 02, 2014
U ONLY HAVE A CHANCE OF REPENT NOW DAT U NOW LIFE.
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by mekuzee1(m): 6:47am On Sep 02, 2014
Jarchi: If it won't disturb my sense of getting high,but wait am liable to die young naw yh tell me dis since it wud take a worthy while to take effect
so atfa get high wat else?? Won't u still go back to ur normal state of mind?? N moreover it doesn't take a worthy while in everybody to take effect..sumbody might take it once n go nuts..
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by LMAyedun(m): 6:49am On Sep 02, 2014
krall: I will soon create some of my health related threads.

Smoking is bad but only when you smoke the wrong smoke.

And which is a wrong smoke? grin
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by DaWorshiper(m): 6:49am On Sep 02, 2014
Only cigarette? What of the other one?
So the initial gist that smokers are liable to die young did not work, and this is supposed to b the latest slogan.
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Jarchi(m): 6:53am On Sep 02, 2014
U neva knw the switnez not until u bcom an addict
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by chelseabmw(m): 6:54am On Sep 02, 2014
Smokers are liable to die young since 19000AD grin

I don't smoke and I will never smoke smiley
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 02, 2014
Th odor from a smoker's mouth!ewwwwwww.embarassed
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by 573V31D(m): 6:55am On Sep 02, 2014
Its logical enough...smoke has strong to whatever it come in contact with.
Re: How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste by Smartlux(m): 6:57am On Sep 02, 2014
yes naw

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Whitening Body Scrubs And Body Mask / Foods That Increase Sperm Count • / COVID-19: Over 118,000 Cases In Africa, 48,000 Recoveries & 3,500 Deaths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.