Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,551 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

I Dont Want Totally Obedient Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Dont Want Totally Obedient Children (680 Views)

She Threaten 2 Divorce Me If I Dont Dissociate Myself From My Best Friend. / Heard Of "the Obedient Wife Club'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Dont Want Totally Obedient Children by tobechi74: 6:28am On Sep 02, 2014
If you heard someone described as obedient, what thoughts does it bring to mind? Someone with no mind of their own, who will do what you tell them, who won’t stand up for themselves. Oh no, that’s not what I’m aiming for, and so I do not want ‘obedient’ children.

Children used to be expected to be ‘seen but not heard’, to never answer back, to do as their parents say for no other reason than ‘because I said so!’ Thankfully that has changed a bit, but it does seem to me that a lot of peoplearestill striving for obedience from their children. Or at least that a lot of people expect you to be. The mother in the shopping centre with a screaming child can expect glares and ‘control your child’ comments from passersby. As if children aren’t their own person but more like possessions to be controlled.

That your parenting should be judged on how well your children behave, how quiet they are, how obedient they appear. That somehow the tighter grip you have on them, the more you are able to influence them and they will turn into a respectable adult.

And so ‘talking back’ is ok with me (as long as it’s not rudely).
Asking me why they can’t do something is ok with me.
Trying to negotiate with me is ok.
Disagreeing with me is ok.
Big feelings are ok with me, and not something to be frustrated about.
By reacting this way I am teaching them that no matter if someone is bigger, older, or more powerful, it’s ok to question or stand up for what you think is right. That you can also do this in a polite and respectful way. That often things still don’t go your way and how to deal with that. If instead I chose to enforce behaviour with punishment, never let them question me, or didn’t help them with their big emotions, then how would they learn to deal with these situations in the future? How would that effect our relationship? Would they feel valued, respected, and important? Or would they feel powerless?

I don’t want my children to grow up to be ‘obedient’ adults, who give in to peer pressure, who are afraid to voice their opinion. Nor do I want them to grow up thinking that the way we interact with people younger than us is by coercion and control. Children are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. They can handle simple age appropriate explanations for things. They deserve reasons for our actions. I doubt I would be happy to do something I didn’t want to do if the only reason I was given was ‘because I said so’. I can extend the same courtesy to my children

sarah
www.tobechispeaks./2014/09/01/i-dont-want-obedient-children/

1 Like

Re: I Dont Want Totally Obedient Children by Nobody: 6:38am On Sep 02, 2014
Teach a child in the way of the Lord,and he won't depart from it.
Re: I Dont Want Totally Obedient Children by ATSOMEH(f): 10:21am On Sep 02, 2014
I have always loved children who have a mind of their own, whom we term as 'stubborn', such children channeled in the right direction would hardly have problems with negative peer pressure.
Re: I Dont Want Totally Obedient Children by JEITO: 11:51am On Sep 02, 2014
Beautiful wishes! But the parent make the children what they are....
Re: I Dont Want Totally Obedient Children by shizzleStar: 1:04pm On Sep 02, 2014
Its good for a child to have an independent mind of his own to an extent. That way it shows the child growing up with the prospect of appreciating responsibilities even from an early age
Re: I Dont Want Totally Obedient Children by shizzleStar: 1:08pm On Sep 02, 2014
ATSOMEH: I have always loved children who have a mind of their own, whom we term as 'stubborn', such children channeled in the right direction would hardly have problems with negative peer pressure.
Exactly my thoughts. Unlike children who will have a fight with their classmates and run home crying to mummy and daddy that his classmate who is probably smaller and younger than him beat him. I actually like children who are somewhat sturbbon, i used to be one myself cheesy cool
Re: I Dont Want Totally Obedient Children by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 02, 2014
Totally Obedient Children are pretenders..I'm one of them sad

Give us a mile and we would take yards..It's not our fault..sad

We always end up doing things codedly cool

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Man Who Abandoned His Three Kids In A Boarding School Shows Up / Meet Nigerian Tissue Seller In Spain Who Returned €16,000 He Found In Briefcase. / Family Tragedy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.