Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? (5603 Views)

​nigeria Has No Power To Regulate DSTV Prices — ​multichoice / Multichoice Dstv In Trouble With Nigeria Over Outrageous Subscription Fee / Multichoice And Their Fraud Called Gotv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? by lifeisfun: 7:24pm On Sep 02, 2014
I recently got a DSTV Explora (which in my opinion should have a trade in option for previous decoders) for N65,000 but on arrival in south Africa a couple of weeks later i was informed that the same explora goes for ZAR 1,999 (about 35k rough conversion)
I asked why this was so but the guy could not give me any explanation other than that Nigerians can afford it. When i asked if i could get one there and transfer for use in Nigeria, to which he promptly declined. I was shocked and angry

Why is that any and every nation can take a pound off flesh from Nigerians in our own country? What has happened to consumer protection?

Its sad that these things happen and everybody turns a blind eye cry
Re: Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? by mutiply: 7:35pm On Sep 02, 2014
if u make a complain, they will tell you that the spend more on electricity and importation. I still believe nigerians working in dsthives are responsible for the high prices. They liaise with govt officials and ncc in other to make exorbitant profit from us. All nigerians shud shun them for 3-6months. There are some good stations of free to air satelites.
Re: Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? by bodejohn(m): 8:24pm On Sep 02, 2014
This issue has been discussed a few times on NL, while I am not defending dstv, I think it is not right to compare prices of equipment and services on face value.

Having said that, the cost of doing business in Nigeria is very expensive. Businesses in Nigeria pay a lof for the inefficiencies in our system.

Is it not in nigeria that it costs about 300k to clear a 100k car bought in Europe? Maybe the OP also need to compare the salaries of their staff in SA and Nigeria.

On a litter note, for the OP to even think of buying an hdtv box, and visiting SA, no be big boy things be that? Abeg, spend this money and stop complaning...
Re: Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? by bigtt76(f): 9:21pm On Sep 02, 2014
Well you for buy plenty come sell at 45k and recoupe the excess charged you in Nigeria.

Nor forget that Multichoice Nigeria pay heavily to import.
Re: Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? by lifeisfun: 10:25pm On Sep 02, 2014
bodejohn: This issue has been discussed a few times on NL, while I am not defending dstv, I think it is not right to compare prices of equipment and services on face value.
Having said that, the cost of doing business in Nigeria is very expensive. Businesses in Nigeria pay a lof for the inefficiencies in our system.
Is it not in nigeria that it costs about 300k to clear a 100k car bought in Europe? Maybe the OP also need to compare the salaries of their staff in SA and Nigeria.
On a litter note, for the OP to even think of buying an hdtv box, and visiting SA, no be big boy things be that? Abeg, spend this money and stop complaning...
bodejohn: This issue has been discussed a few times on NL, while I am not defending dstv, I think it is not right to compare prices of equipment and services on face value.

@bodejohn while I agree that the cost of doing biz is high in nigeria, I don't agree with doubling the cost of decoder. You may recall that the decoder itself is not the source of income but the monthly subscription.
There is no extra investment in satellite television in recieving countries like Nigeria so where is the extra cost coking from? The argument on car importation is a govt edict (though senseless ) you can see where the increase is coming from, so where is the double pricing coming from ?
Re: Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? by bodejohn(m): 10:36pm On Sep 02, 2014
I still maintain my position on this matter, do you know the cost of shipping and clearing of these boxes? Nigerian customs have some rediculous duties depending on the HS codes that is appropriate to your goods.

Please check also what their staffs are paid versus their colleagues here in Nigeria. Prices of goods and services are not compared based on face value alone. Why cant they make profit on the boxes? It's branded with their name.

I am not defending dstv but I know there crazy taxes on luxury items and services in Nigeria.
Re: Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? by CBNIM: 11:14am On Sep 03, 2014
bodejohn: I still maintain my position on this matter, do you know the cost of shipping and clearing of these boxes? Nigerian customs have some rediculous duties depending on the HS codes that is appropriate to your goods.

Please check also what their staffs are paid versus their colleagues here in Nigeria. Prices of goods and services are not compared based on face value alone. Why cant they make profit on the boxes? It's branded with their name.

[b][/b]I am not defending dstv but I know there is crazy taxes on luxury items and services in Nigeria.

I think I agree with that!
Re: Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? by softtouch2(m): 9:11am On Sep 06, 2014
Nigerian Officials and Bureaucracies within make Nigeria hostile to any profitable business without any affiliation to any political or government figure.
Even after meeting up all the bureaucracies cash must exchange hands as a means of "kind gestures", this make overall expenses for any business to be very high in Nigeria. Hence, companies will figure out how to recoup money from investment on the customers.

This is more reason it will take ages for Nigeria to enjoy myriad of cheap services like Broadband & Internet subscriptions, Satellite TVs, etc.
We claim this foreign companies are reap-offs, but our government is responsible.

Let me use this as example I heard some time ago:
Some years back, because of high demand of Toyota cars and services in Nigeria, Toyota wanted to have an assembly plant in Nigeria with service centers in all the state capital including Abuja. (Imagine how many Nigerian would be employed to meet this demand and also the cost of this investment from Toyota)
The Govt Ministry in charge (I've forgotten that) mandated Toyota to deposit about $100 Million to Nigeria treasury first (Is that a pre-tax or something?"wink before embarking on this feat, which Toyota refused.

Anywhere corruption thrives, the chain reaction with make everything abnormal.
Re: Is Multichoice DSTV Ripping Nigerians Off? by VTPASS: 3:54pm On Aug 02, 2017
Make use of https://www.vtpass.com/dstv now for paying, renewing and subscribing to any DStv plan of your choice.

(1) (Reply)

Which C-band LNB Is Better To Receive Weak Signal / Pls Where Do I Download Srt 4940 Software? / New 1.8m Dish And Motorizing Equipment For Sale In Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.