Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,226 members, 7,811,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built (2941 Views)

Top 7 Most Technologically Advanced Countries In Africa / 12 Most Technologically Advanced Countries As Of 2014 / 6 Most Extravagant/expensive Cruise Ships Ever Built (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
When the USS Zumwalt rolls out
of dry dock at Bath Iron Works in
Maine next year, the Navy's
newest warship will be 100 feet
longer than the destroyers
currently serving around the
globe—and nearly twice as
massive—yet it will have a radar
signature 50 times smaller and
will carry half the crew. Packed
bow to stern with state-of-the-
art radar, stealth, weapons, and
propulsion systems, the USS
Zumwalt, which will be
operational in mid-2016, will be
the most technologically
sophisticated warship ever to hit
the water.
A complement to Arleigh Burke–
class destroyers that currently
protect the Navy's prized aircraft
carriers from aerial attacks, the
Zumwalt-class destroyer is for
laying waste to land. It can evade
enemy detection; slip into the
shallows along foreign
coastlines; and deliver
devastatingly accurate firepower
hundreds of miles inland,
supporting special operations
ashore, clearing the way for
amphibious troop landings, or
knocking out air defenses. It's a
seaborne battering ram—a
specialized piece of equipment
for smashing in the enemy's
front door.
In the 1990s, the U.S. military
carried out successful
amphibious assaults in Somalia
and elsewhere. But as coastal
defenses around the world grew
more advanced—not least those
of Iraq, which would have been a
serious threat to U.S. troops had
they invaded Kuwait by sea
during Operation Desert Storm—
the Navy decided to build the
Zumwalt.
Traditional destroyers create
huge wakes and their hulls tend
to light up radar dishes. By
contrast, the angle of the
Zumwalt's hull reduces its radar
signature 50-fold (on radar it
looks like a fishing boat) and
slices through the water like a
600-foot harpoon, creating little
wake and making it more
difficult to see from both above
and below. Though it rides low,
the Zumwalt can operate in just
30 feet of water, scanning for
airborne and underwater threats
with planar-array radar and
advanced sonar.
If geopolitical events call for
securing nuclear facilities in an
unraveling North Korea or Iran,
the Zumwalt is the Navy's surest
way to arrive unannounced. From
the shallows, the Zumwalt can
then wipe out enemy defenses
up to 72 miles away. Sailors don't
cram shells into the dual 155-
millimeter guns nor do they clear
the casings. The guns are
controlled—point, click, boom—
by a computer in the command
center; they fire GPS-guided
shells, considered by the Navy to
be more like rockets than artillery
because of their ability to adjust
trajectory in flight. The ship also
carries a battery of SM-2
antiaircraft missiles, surface-
targeting Tomahawks, missile-
destroying ESSM interceptors,
and vertically launched ASROC
antisubmarine torpedoes, all
distributed among 80 missile
cells that line the Zumwalt's hull.
The location of the cells ensures
that the missiles can't all be
disabled by a single enemy strike
and serves as an extra layer of
defense around the ship.

Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 04, 2014
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by MabraO: 3:13pm On Sep 04, 2014
Space booked
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by seankafor(m): 4:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
after watching transformer 2 and 3 i now learnt that to be a soldier with better armour sweet oo...truly no country can fight u s a..
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Okijajuju1(m): 4:51pm On Sep 04, 2014
So... Basically, If Nigeria can just get 1 Ebola patient inside that ship, it becomes useless.. grin

#TeamBiologicalWeapon.. grin

1 Like

Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 04, 2014
Who are they using this weapon to fight aliens

1 Like

Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by jamilkb(m): 4:51pm On Sep 04, 2014
. grin. space Owned hahahahahah
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by opisco01(m): 4:51pm On Sep 04, 2014
Space booked. Lemme go and answer momsy b4 I comment. I'ld be back shortly grin
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2014
Stop lying, e wan kill itself?
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by sirjohnson(m): 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2014
wow
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by gistmelove(m): 4:53pm On Sep 04, 2014
MabraO: Space booked

Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Bryan12(m): 4:53pm On Sep 04, 2014
I didn't know that copying and pasting could get one to frontpage. undecided
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by akereconfi: 4:54pm On Sep 04, 2014
Arms folded
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by gistmelove(m): 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
opisco01: Space booked. Lemme go and answer momsy b4 I comment. I'ld be back shortly grin

Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by idupaul: 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
Battle ships are beginning to look like futuristic submarines.. Good for them let them not forget to give out ships they don't need to poorer nations
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by aholiab(m): 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
these guys are preparing for WW3 aka armaggedon . . .get ready
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Poddy(m): 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
AME saw CAR....AME ri ika wink
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by lafuria1(m): 4:56pm On Sep 04, 2014
It's attacking ability looks good but what's its defensive ability ? Like when it gets attacked, something like a missile defence shield.
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by slap1(m): 4:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
Always battle ready. Troublesome country.
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by BTT(m): 5:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
All these in a bid to kill man.

The Serpent is indeed in war with the Sons of the Queen.
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by molydonhenry(m): 5:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
No matter sophisticated, Naija military go still win with boat n canoe
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by molydonhenry(m): 5:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
No matter how sophisticated, Naija military go still win with boat n canoe
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by slap1(m): 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2014
Okijajuju1: So... Basically, If Nigeria can just get 1 Ebola patient inside that ship, it becomes useless.. grin

Why Nigeria? Why not Liberia? We don't export ebola. And I doubt anyone would get close to that ship anyhow.

I get your humour though.
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by nwaobitex: 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
nice ship
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by adesiku(m): 5:54pm On Sep 04, 2014
molydonhenry: No matter how sophisticated, Naija military go still win with boat n canoe
Bros, film-trick movies wey u dey watch too much oooh

1 Like

Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 04, 2014
idupaul: Battle ships are beginning to look like futuristic submarines.. Good for them let them not forget to give out ships they don't need to poorer nations
Well, instead of doing that, they just blocked d delivery of Mistral-class warship contract between France and Russia. France, on Wednesday said it wil put on hold d delivery of d ship to Russia due to d later's role in d uprising in Ukraine.
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Nobody: 10:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
MabraO: Space booked
I unbooked d space by tearing d pages into shreds, then ran inside and hid in my grandma's room.
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by MabraO: 4:45am On Sep 05, 2014
Centrifuge4: I unbooked d space by tearing d pages into shreds, then ran inside and hid in my grandma's room.

Hehehe
Grandma's boy, ifa catch u ehn
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 05, 2014
MabraO:

Hehehe
Grandma's boy, ifa catch u ehn
Ehn, u mean ifa olokun? I fear it o. Sorry, I fear 'him'... I prefer entering voice mail ehn.
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by MabraO: 10:36am On Sep 05, 2014
Centrifuge4: Ehn, u mean ifa olokun? I fear it o. Sorry, I fear 'him'... I prefer entering voice mail ehn.

Hehehe y should u it doesn't bit na
U no even get liver
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by overhypedsteve(m): 9:10am On Sep 06, 2014
Okijajuju1: So... Basically, If Nigeria can just get 1 Ebola patient inside that ship, it becomes useless.. grin

you can mumu
Re: The Most Technologically Advanced Warship Ever Built by Okijajuju1(m): 9:13am On Sep 06, 2014
overhypedsteve: you can mumu

Na today?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Fridge Doors Hard To Open Immediately After They Are Shut Close? / Definition Life Science Terms / Brand New Dell And Hp Laptops For Sale At Good Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.